PDA

View Full Version : Who will be remembered more in history - Federer or Madonna?

rayoflight110
07-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Both superstars but who has a bigger place in history and why?

halalula1234
07-04-2012, 05:20 AM
madonna cus shes the queen of pop!

tennis_pro
07-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Madonna is the most overrated singer in the world.

But her industry is more marketable.

namelessone
07-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Madonna is the most overrated singer in the world.

But her industry is more marketable.

I wouldn't call what Madonna does singing. I once saw a live performance and boy was it bad, I mean really really bad. I was shocked that a star of her caliber would be such an average singer. Thankfully for her there are a lot dancers to pick up the slack and she moves pretty well, plus you have all the lights and fireworks show to distract you from her awful singing performance.

Feather
07-04-2012, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't call what Madonna does singing.

What are your fave artists?

rayoflight110
07-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Excuse me can we stick to the thread title and not a 'fav artists' thread. Who's more iconic Madge or Feddy Fed Fer

brickner_damage
07-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Tennis isn't a mainstream interest, so all the music icons will be ahead of the tennis icons.

joeri888
07-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Madonna of course. Not many sportsmen will be remembered more for their achievements though. A few footballers maybe. Madonna will be way more famous. I think for instance the beatles are still more famous than Roger TODAY

gold soundz
07-04-2012, 06:00 AM
I thought the title said 'Maradona' lol.

rayoflight110
07-04-2012, 06:34 AM
I thought the title said 'Maradona' lol.

No baby Madonna

helloworld
07-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Madonna is more famous of course, but I think Roger will be much more respected in history than Madonna. After all, Madonna is just a hyped up pop singer who were used as a marketing tool for show business to make $$$.

dominikk1985
07-04-2012, 07:12 AM
people will talk about neither much in 10 years. yeah federer is the GOAT but how much do people outside of tennis talk about sampras now?

tennis is a very big sport but just not the caliber of soccer, baseball or football. players are stars in the game but after they retire only real fans talk about them.

Sri
07-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Stop insulting Nadal by referring to him as Madonna!

Castiel
07-04-2012, 07:31 AM
In order to know Federer you need to have some interest in tennis.
To know Madona, you don't need to do anything she's just famous.
I'm sorrouned by many people who don't even know who Roger is.

Bobby Jr
07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Tennis player: 10-12 year career potential

Singer: 1-60 year career potential.

It's kind of a no-brainer why the top singers are better known than the top sportspeople generally.

dudeski
07-04-2012, 07:38 AM
James Cameron: Terminator (1984), Aliens (1986), The Abyss (1989), Terminator 2 (1991), True Lies (1994), Titanic (1997), Avatar (2009)... He is like a tennis player who only plays one tournament every 2 - 12 years and it's always Wimbledon and he wins it in straight sets every time.

fed_rulz
07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
people will talk about neither much in 10 years. yeah federer is the GOAT but how much do people outside of tennis talk about sampras now?

tennis is a very big sport but just not the caliber of soccer, baseball or football. players are stars in the game but after they retire only real fans talk about them.

how many talk about Pele now or maradona? only "real" fans talk about the famous ones in their respective sports

Sampras is a poor example IMO; he wasn't even the most popular tennis player of his time.

El Diablo
07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Pretty funny that someone called Madonna "the most overrated singer in history." Has ANYONE ever said she's a great singer, much less a good singer??!! I've never seen it. Just as nobody ever said John Lennon was a great singer. Commercial success in that business does not demand a great set of pipes.

Towser83
07-04-2012, 09:05 AM
If you are a sports fan, Federer.

If you are a fan of music, Federer. Definitely Federer.

90's Clay
07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Madonna was 100 times more well known to the mainstream then Fed has ever been..

No Brainer

Tennis is not exactly huge or well know to many people..

Go ask the average joes out on the street who have never watched tennis and ask if they know who Federer is.. Then ask them if they ever heard of Madonna. You'll get your answer

Towser83
07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't call what Madonna does singing. I once saw a live performance and boy was it bad, I mean really really bad. I was shocked that a star of her caliber would be such an average singer. Thankfully for her there are a lot dancers to pick up the slack and she moves pretty well, plus you have all the lights and fireworks show to distract you from her awful singing performance.

A lot of shows she is miming to a tape. Elton John had a go at her once and these stupid female "celebrities" on a tv show were saying "how can you sing live when you're dancing like she does?" i was thinking, well done you've just missed the point of MUSIC. they were saying "I'd like to see him do dancing like that" yeah i would like to see madonna write a great song, play an instrument well and sing at the same time.

rayoflight110
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Madonna is iconic

Hitman
07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Madonna. No doubt about it.

dudeski
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
If you are a sports fan, Federer.

If you are a fan of music, Federer. Definitely Federer.

Nice one :)

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Obviously Madonna.

r2473
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Pretty funny that someone called Madonna "the most overrated singer in history." Has ANYONE ever said she's a great singer, much less a good singer??!! I've never seen it. Just as nobody ever said John Lennon was a great singer. Commercial success in that business does not demand a great set of pipes.

some magazine said he is #5 all time

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/john-lennon-19691231

same magazine has madonna at 36

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/madonna-19691231

and i know that the beatles were more famous than jesus, but federer aint bigger than madonna

http://www.judiciaryreport.com/images/Virgin-Mary.png

Hood_Man
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
More people will probably remember Madonna than past King and Queen's of England.

MichaelNadal
07-04-2012, 03:31 PM
More people will probably remember Madonna than past King and Queen's of England.

Lol exactly. Madonna hands down. Not sure what purpose this topic has.

Steffi-forever
07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Madonna is the most succesful female singer of all time. The only muscial acts who have sold more albums than M are The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Michael Jackson. She has the highest grossing tour by a solo artist with ''Sticky & Sweet Tour''. Her last studio album ''MDNA'' was released last march (her fourth decade now) and has been n° 1 in more than 35 countries.

She is amazing. :)

Cesc Fabregas
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Federer actually has talent, Madonna started the trend of ***** pop stars who can't sing live nor write a song to save their lives.

Cesc Fabregas
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Madonna and MJ were awful, Prince was the best pop star of the 80's.

Sid_Vicious
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
There are athletes who are popular and will be talked about for a long time. Unfortunately, tennis players are rarely among them. For example, it is hard to believe that Borg was one of the most popular athletes in the world in 1970s. I see pictures from the 70s and the guy had rockstar status. 40 years later, only a few tennis fans remember him. Googling him will get you mostly pictures of underwear models.Sampras is pretty much forgotten even though he retired like 10 years ago.

I doubt people will care much about Federer 20 years from now. All of us Federer fans will be in the former pro sections talking about the good ole days when Federer was playing instead of the young spoiled brats of that time.

Praetorian
07-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Federer actually has talent, Madonna started the trend of ***** pop stars who can't sing live nor write a song to save their lives.

And your point is? Hey, I agree with you. Being talented doesn't mean being popular.

Steffi-forever
07-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Madonna has a record (breaking The Beatles) of 15 straight top 5 singles in the US (from Lucky Star in '84 to Cherish in '89)

To say she can't write her songs is a lie. Madonna at least co-wrote all of her songs since her third album True Blue in 1986. You can check the credits on wiki if you want. :)

tistrapukcipeht
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Madonna is much more famous than Fed will ever be. Tennis isn't even the most watched sports.

Steffi-forever
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Tennis player: 10-12 year career potential

Singer: 1-60 year career potential.

It's kind of a no-brainer why the top singers are better known than the top sportspeople generally.

Exactly. Roger will stop tennis in a few years, but there's like 20/30 classics of Madonna playing on the radio everyday around the world... I don't think it's a fair comparison... Maybe we should compare Roger to an another big star athlete instead.

tistrapukcipeht
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM

You have no idea about what you're talking about, I have no clue about music but I don't need to be a genius to know that Michael Jackson and Madonna changed the world of pop music.

Look at their albums sales to find out how many people have bought them.

They also revolutionized the shows with music, dance and performance for different songs.

Some people would be able to give you more insights than I would.

TeflonTom
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
history dont care bout performers

nobody can name sports stars or singers from hundreds o years ago. u remember shakespeare n mozart, not the chumps who got up on stage n performed their stuff

writers n leaders, philosophers n scientists r the ones who get remembered. u know, ppl who created stuff n accomplished stuff of actual significance

hittin a ball over a net or wearin a cone bra dont mean much in wider context o history

Bobby Jr
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
James Cameron: ....Avatar (2009)... He is like a tennis player who only plays one tournament every 2 - 12 years and it's always Wimbledon and he wins it in straight sets every time.
Except when his ex-wife shows up with a $5 racquet and beats him.

mistik
07-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Rafa Nadal is going to be remembered he has an amazing beautiful video with Shakira which was total art. It was an amazing stuff no.:lol: :mrgreen:

jamesblakefan#1
07-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Whoa now, watch what you say. MJ actually wrote or co-wrote most of his music, MJ as an artist is underrated by people like you who think he only sung and dance. He also wrote and produced most if not the majority of his songs.

MichaelNadal
07-04-2012, 06:27 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/l_903e3e8753c141ceacfb64680e6bdfdd.gif

Towser83
07-04-2012, 06:43 PM

MJ was an extremely talented singer and performer from an early age, and he did write some of his hits such as Beat It, Billie Jean and others. I do agree prince was much more talented as a musician and songwriter though.

Madonna has a record (breaking The Beatles) of 15 straight top 5 singles in the US (from Lucky Star in '84 to Cherish in '89)

To say she can't write her songs is a lie. Madonna at least co-wrote all of her songs since her third album True Blue in 1986. You can check the credits on wiki if you want. :)

She is hugely successful, and no doubt she is very clever with her image and marketing and also had some catchy tracks - that doesn't mean her music is actually great though, I mean there's no way to prove anyone's music is great, it's all opinion. Also lots of artists "write" songs with the help of 2 or 3 others, I have a feeling most of the time the proven songwriting team hired by the record company do most of the work ;)

You have no idea about what you're talking about, I have no clue about music but I don't need to be a genius to know that Michael Jackson and Madonna changed the world of pop music.

Look at their albums sales to find out how many people have bought them.

They also revolutionized the shows with music, dance and performance for different songs.

Some people would be able to give you more insights than I would.

They did change things, but not always for the best.

For instance, I think choreographed dance routines, costume changes, big stadium designs etc, are not really the point of music. Madonna was probably one of the people who pioneered miming at "live" shows. That's not a change for te better..

jukka1970
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Both superstars but who has a bigger place in history and why?

Has to be Madonna, there's really no question here, as the music industry and expodentially bigger then tennis.

The-Champ
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
some magazine said he is #5 all time

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/john-lennon-19691231

same magazine has madonna at 36

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/madonna-19691231

and i know that the beatles were more famous than jesus, but federer aint bigger than madonna

Bob Dylan, the 7th greatest singer of all time? lol :D. the man couldn't hit hold a note to save his life.

Corelli, Pavarotti, Björling are laughing their butts off in the grave.

Bobby Jr
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
MJ actually wrote or co-wrote most of his music, MJ as an artist is underrated by people like you who think he only sung and dance. He also wrote and produced most if not the majority of his songs.
Actually, Jackson produced hardly any of his songs. He always used a producer - Quincy Jones being the most famous of them. He co-produced only a few of his biggest songs and, even then, it is common for the bigger artists to receive a co-production credit as a sort of back-hander/nod/kudos for letting the others be involved in such a big opportunity.

From the Bad LP onwards he made this a condition of working with him basically (when you're that big you get what you want).

On the song-writing comment, many of his biggest tracks he didn't even co-write:
- Thriller/Rock With You/Baby Be Mine/Off The Wall (Rod Temperton)
- PYT (Quincy Jones)
- The Girl is Mine (Paul McCartney),
- Man in the Mirror (*forgot this one*)

Beat It, Bad, Billie Jean, In The Closet and Wanna Be Starting Something are the bulk of the truly massive tracks which he wrote by himself. Even then, you never really know - people often get given flat fees to sell their writing credit. His last album's title track, This Is It, was supposedly written by him - that is until the original writer (Paul Anka) came forward with his demo tape of it from years earlier.

That said, his songwriting efforts were brilliant, his singing and ad-libbing outstanding... and of course his live performances pretty much beyond compare.

MichaelNadal
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Actually, Jackson produced hardly any of his songs. He always used a producer - Quincy Jones being the most famous of them. He co-produced only a few of his biggest songs and, even then, it is common for the bigger artists to receive a co-production credit as a sort of back-hander/nod/kudos for letting the others be involved in such a big opportunity.

From the Bad LP onwards he made this a condition of working with him basically (when you're that big you get what you want).

On the song-writing comment, many of his biggest tracks he didn't even co-write:
- Thriller/Rock With You/Baby Be Mine/Off The Wall (Rod Temperton)
- PYT (Quincy Jones)
- The Girl is Mine (Paul McCartney),
- Man in the Mirror (*forgot this one*)

Beat It, Bad, Billie Jean, In The Closet and Wanna Be Starting Something are the bulk of the truly massive tracks which he wrote by himself. Even then, you never really know - people often get given flat fees to sell their writing credit. His last album's title track, This Is It, was supposedly written by him - that is until the original writer (Paul Anka) came forward with his demo tape of it from years earlier.

That said, his songwriting efforts were brilliant, his singing and ad-libbing outstanding... and of course his live performances pretty much beyond compare.

MJ wrote most of his music, you make it seem very scant if you go by radio singles. IMO his best music are his album tracks, which he wrote a good 70% of. As far as the producing thing goes, that's very true. Even though he did pretty much spit songs into his personal tape recorder very close to how they came out when they were done, so they didn't make a huge difference. And the Madonna singing live thing.... she has for at least her last 3 tours. Believe it or not. Look at any amateur footage of her tours and it's live.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_d3Tzjzhz9V8/TBcsh9SSGEI/AAAAAAAAA3I/IYmqvYf4Th4/s1600/mj-madonna-and-david-geffen_jpg.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23500000/MJ-Ms-M-3-madonna-and-michael-jackson-23516731-440-310.jpg

norbac
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJmcGepzQo4

TomT
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Both superstars but who has a bigger place in history and why?I'd say they're more or less equally famous. That is, I would guess that pretty much everybody in the civilized world has heard of both Madonna and Federer.

As far as numbers of viewers/listeners is concerned, Federer has been on worldwide TV at least four times a year for the past eight years. The TV viewer numbers of tennis grand slams has been, I'm guessing, in the tens of millions for each event during that period.

On the other hand, Madonna is on TV only a fraction of that time. Her concerts for a particular year might be attended by more people than those attending Federer's tournament matches (grand slams and others), but I can't recall the last time Madonna was on TV. Her last album sold maybe 500K copies.

So, just regarding those numbers, Federer seems currently more famous.

Then there's the question of which has a bigger place in mainstream history, pop music icons, or professional tennis champions. I would guess pro tennis champions, partly, but not necessarily most importantly, because there's an objective criterion for determing those.

TomT
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
I just remembered that I'm a tennis nut. So, disregard my post #49.

Re the original question, I think it's pretty resistant to any sort of definitive answer.

jamesblakefan#1
07-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I'd say they're more or less equally famous. That is, I would guess that pretty much everybody in the civilized world has heard of both Madonna and Federer.

As far as numbers of viewers/listeners is concerned, Federer has been on worldwide TV at least four times a year for the past eight years. The TV viewer numbers of tennis grand slams has been, I'm guessing, in the tens of millions for each event during that period.

On the other hand, Madonna is on TV only a fraction of that time. Her concerts for a particular year might be attended by more people than those attending Federer's tournament matches (grand slams and others), but I can't recall the last time Madonna was on TV. Her last album sold maybe 500K copies.

So, just regarding those numbers, Federer seems currently more famous.

Then there's the question of which has a bigger place in mainstream history, pop music icons, or professional tennis champions. I would guess pro tennis champions, partly, but not necessarily most importantly, because there's an objective criterion for determing those.

Not sure if you're American or not, but even if you aren't you know what the Super Bowl is and that Madonna was the halftime performer this year. That alone probably trumps any coverage Fed will get all of this year.

Back to MJ, I was off in that he produced his own tracks, he did often have big name guys like Quincy and on his last album Darkchild work with the production side. But listen to the demos of most of his tracks and you can tell that Mike usually put his spin on his tracks, even if he didn't write all of them himself. True he didn't play instruments like Prince, but each had their own style and both of course are legends.

TomT
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Not sure if you're American or not, but even if you aren't you know what the Super Bowl is and that Madonna was the halftime performer this year. That alone probably trumps any coverage Fed will get all of this year.Lets say that the global Super Bowl TV audience that Madonna was seen by was about 110M, and the global TV audience of a tennis grand slam match involving Federer is about 10M (finals typically get about six to eight times that many viewers worldwide). How many globally televised grand slam matches has Federer played since, say, 2004? How many globally televised events has Madonna been featured in since then?

I'd also guess that certain worldwide soccer stars might be more famous than both Madonna and Federer.

Of course we have to take into account that Madonna has been in the public eye since the late 70's/early 80's.

But as I mentioned, I'm a tennis nut so my perspective on who will have a bigger place in history is necessarily biased. For me it will be Federer. For others it will be Madonna. For still others it might be somebody like John Bardeen, the only person to win two Nobel Prizes in physics.

hedera
07-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Rogi is famous.
That sinister hag is infamous!

And thumbs up to TeflonTom's post!

namelessone
07-05-2012, 01:01 AM
A lot of shows she is miming to a tape. Elton John had a go at her once and these stupid female "celebrities" on a tv show were saying "how can you sing live when you're dancing like she does?" i was thinking, well done you've just missed the point of MUSIC. they were saying "I'd like to see him do dancing like that" yeah i would like to see madonna write a great song, play an instrument well and sing at the same time.

QFT.

Also, can't believe that some people pick on MJ. I may not have been a fan but the man was THE performer, could SING and dance like nobody's business. I know rockers that absolutely loathe pop music but who appreciate what MJ did for entertainment.

My dad saw him when he came in Bucharest in the 90's and even though he wasn't a fan, he was absolutely flabbergasted by the show MJ put on. Even though he's been to many concerts in his lifetime, he says that this show was still probably the best he's ever seen.

forzamilan90
07-05-2012, 01:28 AM
who's bigger and will be remembered more in their field?
Federer clearly.
Overall Madonna being a world famous singer is the better known name (and being around since the 80s helps out too)

TomT
07-05-2012, 01:57 AM
history dont care bout performers

nobody can name sports stars or singers from hundreds o years ago. u remember shakespeare n mozart, not the chumps who got up on stage n performed their stuff

writers n leaders, philosophers n scientists r the ones who get remembered. u know, ppl who created stuff n accomplished stuff of actual significance

hittin a ball over a net or wearin a cone bra dont mean much in wider context o historyTotally agree.

Cesc Fabregas
07-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Bob Dylan, the 7th greatest singer of all time? lol :D. the man couldn't hit hold a note to save his life.

Dylan is not the greatest singer of all time (I personally love his voice) but his voice had character and he has the greatest phrasing in history of popular music.

Cesc Fabregas
07-05-2012, 02:08 AM

'Co-wrote' doesn't meaning anything. Most pop stars will have their name on the song but doesn't mean they had anything to do with writing it. The likes of Rihanna, Britney Spears, Beyonce etc will have their name on the writing of the song but thats part of the comission they get for performing the song.

0d1n
07-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Maradona !

syke
07-05-2012, 04:49 AM
MARADONA
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45152000/jpg/_45152134_diegolonggetty.jpg

ninman
07-05-2012, 05:17 AM
If we're comparing Federer to a pop star then my pick would be Brian Wilson.

Federer is an all court player who has every shot in the book.

Brian Wilson could do everything, writing, arranging, producing, singing, performing, play almost every instrument, a musical genius. Not only that in his youth he was an amazingly good singer, I have never heard anyone sing falsetto that well. Most guys sing in the tenor or baritone range, e.g. Elvis, Freddie Mercury, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, I could go on. But to sing falsetto that well was just incredible to listen to.

Alchemy-Z
07-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Yeah not even close.

Madonna has been on the cover of Time Magazine and Several Rolling Stone Covers.

NonP
07-05-2012, 05:35 AM

Somebody's partial to his fellow countryman. :) But yes, one of the voices of the century.

Just so you know the Rolling Stone list was about these "singers" as performing artists, not strictly as vocalists.

Not sure if you're American or not, but even if you aren't you know what the Super Bowl is and that Madonna was the halftime performer this year. That alone probably trumps any coverage Fed will get all of this year.

This isn't a good example. The real reason why Madonna is more famous is simply that music isn't a niche activity like tennis. TV coverage is only a small part of it.

Back to MJ, I was off in that he produced his own tracks, he did often have big name guys like Quincy and on his last album Darkchild work with the production side. But listen to the demos of most of his tracks and you can tell that Mike usually put his spin on his tracks, even if he didn't write all of them himself. True he didn't play instruments like Prince, but each had their own style and both of course are legends.

MJ might not have been proficient, but he repotedly played or at least dabbled in dozens of instruments like Prince.

Anyway as to the OP, Madonna will be more remembered, but I can definitely see Fed enjoying more fame than the typical tennis legend. He has stated on record that he wants to stay involved in tennis, and with his shrewd PR sense and with more organized effort his RF brand may well become the 21st-century equivalent of Lacoste.

Flash O'Groove
07-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Anyway as to the OP, Madonna will be more remembered, but I can definitely see Fed enjoying more fame than the typical tennis legend. He has stated on record that he wants to stay involved in tennis, and with his shrewd PR sense and with more organized effort his RF brand may well become the 21st-century equivalent of Lacoste.

Not sure about that. Madonna is more famous, but she face a tougher competition with dozen of other pop singer who could replace her sooner or later. In a big industry as pop music is, fame could be ephemeral. Sure she would be remembered in ten years, but in twenty or thirty? Not so sure.

NonP
07-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Not sure about that. Madonna is more famous, but she face a tougher competition with dozen of other pop singer who could replace her sooner or later. In a big industry as pop music is, fame could be ephemeral. Sure she would be remembered in ten years, but in twenty or thirty? Not so sure.

She's been a bona fide star since the early '80s and still able to top the charts today, so I'd say she's proven herself to be more than a mere passing fad. For all the clueless talk about her supposed lack of talent (as you can see here) her best songs are among the greatest pop music ever written. We need to keep in mind that today's folk songs were yesterday's Madonna and Beatles. In fact I'd go so far as to say Madonna is the most important single cultural figure since Elvis, and perhaps the last icon of her stature given the Long Tail phenomenon.

jamesblakefan#1
07-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Madonna's already proven she can stay relevant for plenty of decades, even when new pop stars come around (80s, 90s, 00s, 10s). That's the reason why people compare Lady Gaga and her shtick to Madonna. (Though admittedly Gaga is more talented than Madonna ever was, even if she copies some aspects of her 'look').

Madonna will be followed into her 60s and 70s ala Cher, she's not just going to suddenly fall off the face of the Earth.

Start da Game
07-05-2012, 07:31 AM
not even 0.5% of world population watch all 4 grandslams in tennis......

Leto
07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I think they will both be remembered equally "in history", as you put it in your thread title.

There are more than enough historians who will keep their names alive in whatever context is being discussed.

But in terms of just the general public, I would have to go with Madonna, because of the simple fact that we hear music all over the place.

100 years from now, there will continue to be advertisements using some Madonna song, or a movie, or a "classical" radio station playing her stuff to a sizable audience.

Fed, on the other hand, will only show up on highlight reels/discussions that are only of interest to tennis fans.

Djesus 2.0
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Really? Bragging about Fed being the GOAT in tennis is not enough, and now you need to compare Fed to Madonna to boast your ego?

Why not comparing Fed to Obama or Lincoln instead? This is definitely trolling, and cannot be tolerated.

TigerTim
07-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I thought this was federer vs. Maradona :D

oh well.....

LuckyR
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Do you mean the pop star or the Virgin Mother?

TomT
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
not even 0.5% of world population watch all 4 grandslams in tennis......The 2011 Wimbledon final alone had a global TV audience of 89 million.

ninman
07-05-2012, 11:57 PM
The 2011 Wimbledon final alone had a global TV audience of 89 million.

Yes and there are 7 billion people in the world so that is just over 1% of people in the world.

PrinceMoron
07-06-2012, 12:02 AM
If you put Federer and Madonna, do you get Maradona?

http://images.wikia.com/todofutbol/es/images/8/87/Maradona1986WorldCup2.jpg

ninman
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Brian Wilson is the greatest musician of all time, much like Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time.

ViscaB
07-06-2012, 12:04 AM
If we're comparing Federer to a pop star then my pick would be Brian Wilson.

Federer is an all court player who has every shot in the book.

Brian Wilson could do everything, writing, arranging, producing, singing, performing, play almost every instrument, a musical genius. Not only that in his youth he was an amazingly good singer, I have never heard anyone sing falsetto that well. Most guys sing in the tenor or baritone range, e.g. Elvis, Freddie Mercury, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, I could go on. But to sing falsetto that well was just incredible to listen to.

I'm a Wilson fan as well. But Wilson went missing for years during his prime only to return at a much later age due to mental issues. It took him years to finish his masterpiece SMiLE. He's a troubled genius where Federer looks to be very grounded.

Anyway, another nonsense thread...