PDA

View Full Version : English and international stances on Andy Murray

-RF-
07-04-2012, 02:23 PM
You either love him or hate him. Even being English- I can't stand the man. What are your views on him? I don't even want him to win a GS lol.

dudeski
07-04-2012, 02:29 PM
He isn't English.

-RF-
07-04-2012, 02:31 PM
You know what i meant....

dudeski
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Well I am not British and I like him.

decrepitude
07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I am English, and have been a follower ever since heard of him as a junior in 2004, then a big fan since I first saw him at Queens in 2005.

I was a fan of Henman at the time, and when they were to play each other in late 2005 (Basel maybe?) I didn't know how I would feel - but watching the match, I realised I wanted Andy to win and have been a big fan, through thick and thin, ever since.

Fedex
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
You either love him or hate him. Even being English- I can't stand the man. What are your views on him? I don't even want him to win a GS lol.

Well you must be a very happy person because he's never won one.
Hope you're happy come Sunday when another long embarrassing year goes by without a British slam winner.

Torres
07-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Whoever said that the quality of threads on here have seriously gone down hill was right.

Whether you like him or dislike him nobody cares. Your poll also doesn't make sense since he's not even English, and then you say you either love him or hate him, but then offer an 'indifferent' option in the poll.

You've only been a member for 3 days and you made over 100 utterly crap posts / crap threads.

Homeboy Hotel
07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm British, and like him.

Btw, I don't get the point in all these nit-picking threads on Murray and his personality. No idea what it's suppose to prove.

Like any other player, if you like him - fantastic, good for you. If you hate him - fantastic, good for you.

als47
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
American, and I like him.

R_Federer
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Canadian - hate him.

Predicted years ago on this forum that he will finish his career without any slams. Got blasted by people at the time thinking thats almost impossible (for him to not win any slam). Oh have the times changed!

*Val*
07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Fairly indifferent, like his tennis but his personality isn't very compelling

Torres
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
You know what's really stupid about this whole 'dislike Murray' thing?

Alot of people didn't like Sampras until he started winning slams. They said he was boring, surly, didn't talk much, had too much of hang dog expression, looked like an ape etc. Nothing tennis related at all.

The haters just seem to be the most fickle and just seem to jump on whoever they think is the easiest target at the time.

-RF-
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Whoever said that the quality of threads on here have seriously gone down hill was right.

Whether you like him or dislike him nobody cares. Your poll also doesn't make sense since he's not even English, and then you say you either love him or hate him, but then offer an 'indifferent' option in the poll.

You've only been a member for 3 days and you made over 100 utterly crap posts / crap threads.

.....I never said he was english in my thread, what are you trying to say?

Mainad
07-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Then you're going to have to accept that no British player is ever going to win one in a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long ,long, long, long time to come!

Now that might suit you but I personally see him as the only realistic chance we have of winning one and, for that reason (amongst others) I'm right behind him. He reminds me a little of Fred Perry, the last British guy ever to win Wimbledon (way back in 1936). Perry was from Stockport, just down the road from where I live and was from a working-class background. For that reason he was unpopular with the snobbish clique that ran Wimbledon in those days. The dislike was mutual even though he won the tournament 3 times in succession. He triumphed just to spite them. IMO Murray should do exactly the same!

Torres
07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
.....I never said he was english in my thread, what are you trying to say?

You've split your poll among English and the non-English.

What's the relevance of that since he's not English?

You might as well have started a poll with French and non-French options.

You're French - do you like Andy Murray?
You're not French - do you like Andy Murray?

10dumbpollschar

The Bawss
07-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Then you're going to have to accept that no British player is ever going to win one in a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long ,long, long, long time to come!

Now that might suit you but I personally see him as the only realistic chance we have of winning one and, for that reason (amongst others) I'm right behind him. He reminds me a little of Fred Perry, the last British guy ever to win Wimbledon (way back in 1936). Perry was from Stockport, just down the road from where I live and was from a working-class background. For that reason he was unpopular with the snobbish clique that ran Wimbledon in those days. The dislike was mutual even though he won the tournament 3 times in succession. He triumphed just to spite them. IMO Murray should do exactly the same!

Except...he can't? I'm pretty sure that if Murray was capable of winning a GS, he would have done so by now.

Fedex
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Canadian - hate him.

Predicted years ago on this forum that he will finish his career without any slams. Got blasted by people at the time thinking thats almost impossible (for him to not win any slam). Oh have the times changed!

But it's not difficult to predict that someone who has never won a slam will never win one. You're not clever.
Very few players do.
If you can predict who the next new slam winner will be then that's much much harder.
128 players. Only 1 winner.

Mainad
07-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Canadian - hate him.

Yes, but I suspect you hate anyone or anything from Britain don't you (judging by that sneery thread you posted about us all being crap athletes)? So you're probably a tad biased.

Well, aren't you the little Nostradamus? Anybody else you predicted wouldn't win a Slam, like 98% of the entire ATP tour for instance? :rolleyes:

TigerTim
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
English and like him, we have no other hope!

kishnabe
07-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I used to hate him before 2010. Sorta warmed up to him. Still hate when he pushes the ball....but when he tries to go for his shots coupled with his caressing the ball. It is amazing to watch.

I am non-english....though my first language is english being born in an english country.

Towser83
07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't care if he's our only hope for a slam winner, i'm not going to like support someone i don't like just because there's no one else from this country who win. I don't even care if we have any more players who can win slams. I'm more concerned with new players coming along,I don't care WHERE they're from.

Having said that he's a very good player and deserves a lot of credit.

firepanda
07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I like his style, and I like what I've seen of the guy, but he is just so painful to watch. I refuse to watch his big matches: he will disappoint every time. I guess I could say I'm English, I've lived in NZ my whole life, though.

The-Champ
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Swede here, but I like Murray. I like him more than any Swedish player in history aside from Magnus Larsson in the 90's.

Mainad
07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Swede here, but I like Murray. I like him more than any Swedish player in history aside from Magnus Larsson in the 90's.

Really? I like Murray too but I liked Borg and Edberg a lot more. Borg was my tennis idol for years!

Fedex
07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Really? I like Murray too but I liked Borg and Edberg a lot more. Borg was my tennis idol for years!

Borg number 1 for me.

ViscaB
07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Non-English and I like him. He seems like a very decent guy. Just devoid of any on court charisma.

TheTruth
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
American. Love him. Think he's all class with a delicious sense of humor. I sometimes get mad because he can come out flat for no reason, but his game and the way he hits his shots is amazing. Love his movement and variety, too.

kaku
07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Not from the UK and he's my favorite player.

Atherton2003
07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Murray has a sense of humor? I've never heard it before.

War, Safin!
07-05-2012, 12:50 AM
You either love him or hate him. Even being English- I can't stand the man. What are your views on him? I don't even want him to win a GS lol.Let's face it, love him or loathe him, Murray is hard to watch.
6'3", 185kg, strong, can serve big...yet he plays that pitty-pat, pusher style that guys like Ferrer has to play because of his physical-limitations.
Does Murray actually win matches? Or does he just rely on his opponents losing them? http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif
The rest of the ATP are so lame that they oblige, routinely, unless they happen to be Nadal, Djoker or Federer, who simply r@pe him.
Majors:
0-2 vs Djokovic
2-6 vs Nadal
0-2 vs Federer

The most irritating thing, though, is that when he actually sets himself to hit the damn ball, he is perfectly capable of making winners. He just hasn't got the balls to do it over any period of time.
Maybe if he did win a Major, the massive weight off his shoulders would be lifted, he might be able relax, play big, and win loads more - he's got all the attributes.

The-Champ
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Borg was before my time, but I've seen some of his matches during wimbledon rain delays in recent years. I don't know if it's the technology that made matches of the 70s and early 80s look like they were in slow motion all the time, which made it look boring. Edberg was true gentleman, but hated the fact that he always looked intimated by Stich and Ivanisevic. Magnus Larsson is the only Swede i would root for even against Sampras. Not a very good mover but had a huge serve, hit big off both wings and very good at the net. Unfortunately he had an injury-ridden career but had posted wins against Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Becker, Chang etc.

If Brits ever contemplate of disowning Murray, he is always welcome in Sweden. :D We don't have great players, which is strange because we have a very good tennis legacy IMO.

The-Champ
07-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Let's face it, love him or loathe him, Murray is hard to watch.
6'3", 185kg, strong, can serve big...yet he plays that pitty-pat, pusher style that guys like Ferrer has to play because of his physical-limitations.
Does Murray actually win matches? Or does he just rely on his opponents losing them? http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif
The rest of the ATP are so lame that they oblige, routinely, unless they happen to be Nadal, Djoker or Federer, who simply r@pe him.
Majors:
0-2 vs Djokovic
2-6 vs Nadal
0-2 vs Federer

The most irritating thing, though, is that when he actually sets himself to hit the damn ball, he is perfectly capable of making winners. He just hasn't got the balls to do it over any period of time.
Maybe if he did win a Major, the massive weight off his shoulders would be lifted, he might be able relax, play big, and win loads more - he's got all the attributes.

This is what I've been hoping for the last 3 years.

Torres
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Nadal voted that he's not English but that he likes him.

Rafa Nadal: ‘I knew Andy’s chance would come again’

1 of 4

Nadal consoles Murray after defeating the Scot in straight sets during their 2010 semi-final Graham Hughes

Post a comment (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3468765.ece#)
Recommend (5) (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3468765.ece#)
Print (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3468765.ece#)
Email (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3468765.ece#)
Share (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3468765.ece#)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00313/71931628_rafamurray_313646c.jpg Nadal consoles Murray after defeating the Scot in straight sets during their 2010 semi-final Graham Hughes

Rafa Nadal
Published 1 minute ago

It is the late evening in Sardinia where I am having a small holiday and I have had a call saying that Andy Murray has reached the final of Wimbledon. I did not see the match, but I can only begin to imagine the emotions he must have been feeling.
For Andy this is an amazing achievement. It is the home tournament. To be in the final, to be playing against the best in history in Roger Federer, he has been fighting for this for a long time and now it has happened. I am very happy for him.
To be in so many Wimbledon semi-finals and not be in the final — I am sorry that it was me who beat him on the last couple of occasions — is disappointing for him, but I knew the chance would come again and that if it did come, he would take it.
For me, he has had a great career already, even without winning a final of a grand-slam, but this means so much more. This is the special one of the four major tournaments we have in our sport, especially for a player from Britain.
This is the best possible final for Wimbledon. They deserve it. I wish all the people there that it is a great occasion. I know what it is like to play Roger on the last day of a major championship. He is still here after years and years of competing and if he wins the tournament he will become the No 1 player in the world again. He deserves that, Andy deserves to win a grand-slam. It is going to be a special afternoon.
For me, 2008 against Roger is still an unforgettable memory. It is impossible to describe or to put into words how I felt that day but it was beautiful, I know that. It was my dream always to win Wimbledon and I am sure the same is true for Andy. All I know is that it will be a match that no one who sees it will forget. I don’t know if I will be watching or not, it depends on my schedule.
I am a little sad that it is not me who is playing. I had to cancel an exhibition I was due to play against Novak Djokovic in the Bernabéu stadium in Madrid next Sunday for my foundation because I am still having some problems with my knees.
I needed a couple of infiltrations after the French Open final and I was not at my best to play at Wimbledon. I am very sorry for that but I have to look after myself first.
I’ve had a good year so far, I believe. I won Monte Carlo for the eighth time, Barcelona for a seventh time, Rome for the sixth time and Roland Garros for a seventh time, so I cannot be too disappointed with that.
I want to find the best tennis levels of my career again and to do that I have to make sure that I rest properly. I am hoping, hoping that I will be all right to play in the Olympic Games.

robertk29
07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Why, from his first win , this tournament, he points his 2 forefingers to the sky??

Fedex
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Very nice words from Nadal.

Torres
07-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Why, from his first win , this tournament, he points his 2 forefingers to the sky??

No one knows. It's been suggested that its a tribute to someone who died, others say that he's just celebrating, but he won't be drawn on it.

Asked about the mysterious signal, Murray said: “Well it’s something for me and the guys that I work with. I don’t really want to go into too much detail because I’ll end up getting asked about it every single day.” Pushed to explain whether or not it had anything to do with religion, Murray stood his ground. “Whether it is or not, I’m not going to tell anyone,” he said.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/771/Andy%20Murray%20Meme.jpg

As he won't be drawn on it my guess is that its a tribute to someone who died and its a personal thing for thing. Its similar to the Lionel Messi gesture. Messi says, "Pointing to the sky? I dedicate goals to my grandma who supported me a lot, never saw me succeeding but now helps me from up there."

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld6eeehS1j1qe4e8h.gif

robertk29
07-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Torres, thanks for reply, appreciate it. Robert

JustBob
07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Let's face it, love him or loathe him, Murray is hard to watch.
6'3", 185kg

Woah! He should be a sumo wrestler! ;)