PDA

View Full Version : Federer soon to be ATP # 2

3fees
07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Federer will replace Rafael Nadal as the World No. 2 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings on Monday.

Cheers
3fees :)

joeri888
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Old news. Federer's got a shot at the no. 1 ranking. If he wins tomorrow, I'll bet you he'll regain no. 1 at some point. Even if he loses sunday.

merlinpinpin
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Actually, this thread is way premature. Should he win the whole thing, he sure won't replace Nadal as new world #2, as he will replace Djokovic as world #1. ;)

3fees
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Actually, this thread is way premature. Should he win the whole thing, he sure won't replace Nadal as new world #2, as he will replace Djokovic as world #1. ;)

Actually its not,,heres the rest of it,latest atp rankings are posted this monday-lol

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/27/Wimbledon-Thursday2-Diary.aspx

Cheers
3fees:)

Djesus 2.0
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Well, there are a lot of premature threads in TT, please go yell at them posters, like Fed vs. Murray in the finals, etc.

woodrow1029
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Well, there are a lot of premature threads in TT, please go yell at them posters, like Fed vs. Murray in the finals, etc.

What is wrong with you? LOL

Nobody was yelling at anyone, and the thread about Fed vs. Murray in the finals was simply asking about the crowd, and the OP clearly said IF they play in the finals, not when.

TigerTim
07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
What happens If Murray wins, how much closer to 3 is he?

(I know I know, not going to happen, but you've got to hope eh?!)

MG1
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Lol Lol Lol..........

Djesus 2.0 got banned within 13 posts :O!!!

this could be all time record!

valiant
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Lol Lol Lol..........

Djesus 2.0 got banned within 13 posts :O!!!

this could be all time record!

13 is an unlucky no for him :)

SystemicAnomaly
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
What happens If Murray wins, how much closer to 3 is he?

(I know I know, not going to happen, but you've got to hope eh?!)

live-­tennis.­eu

These live rankings currently show Roger at #2. These rankings reflect the QF for Wimby. If Roger wins the final he will be 75 points ahead of Nole (assuming the the latter does not lose any points).

These rankings currently show Rafa with 8905. If Andy M wins the final, he'll have 8260.

brickner_damage
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow #2.....unbelievable..

The Bawss
07-05-2012, 03:56 PM
If Fed regains #1, will he be the second oldest player in the open era to be ranked #1?

Also I think Federer will be the only person in the open era to regain the #1 spot twice.

joeri888
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
If Fed regains #1, will he be the second oldest player in the open era to be ranked #1?

Also I think Federer will be the only person in the open era to regain the #1 spot twice.

I think Sampras regained it multiple times? I think you are mistaking it for Rog and Raf the only 2 to ever reclaim YE no. 1. Roger needs to finish the year at no. 1 to break that tie

The Bawss
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I think Sampras regained it multiple times? I think you are mistaking it for Rog and Raf the only 2 to ever reclaim YE no. 1. Roger needs to finish the year at no. 1 to break that tie

Possibly. Mustard, would you care to enlighten us?

timnz
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Possibly. Mustard, would you care to enlighten us?

If you look at the weekly rankings, many players have regained the number ranking some of them have lost it and regained it many times. Just go look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ATP_number_1_ranked_singles_players

If you are meaning regained the year end number 1 ranking after having lost it, then you have to add lendl to the list of roger and rafa

Atherton2003
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Fed can be #2 primarily because he hasn't played Nadal too much lately....cause he rarely can beat Nadal.

cc0509
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Fed can be #2 primarily because he hasn't played Nadal too much lately....cause he rarely can beat Nadal.

He's defeated Nadal the last two out of three times they have played. Indian Wells anybody?

brickner_damage
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
He's defeated Nadal the last two out of three times they have played. Indian Wells anybody?

It must be scary for Federer to think he can beat Nadal 2 out of 3 times yet the match in the middle of those 3 was a 4 set loss at the Australian Open (and Federer won the 1st set). It's like no matter what Federer does in the non-slams vs Nadal he can never be confident at the slams..

drakulie
07-05-2012, 05:51 PM

how do you explain him being #1 between 2004-2008 while playing him 18 times?

Atherton2003
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Nadal is the only player to have a winning record, head-to-head with Federer. Fed has never figured out his nemesis Nadal.

Mustard
07-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Yes, behind Agassi. Agassi was 33 years and 5 months when he was last ranked world number 1.

cc0509
07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
It must be scary for Federer to think he can beat Nadal 2 out of 3 times yet the match in the middle of those 3 was a 4 set loss at the Australian Open (and Federer won the 1st set). It's like no matter what Federer does in the non-slams vs Nadal he can never be confident at the slams..

I would not say that. It is only on clay Nadal completely owns Federer in slams or out.

DeShaun
07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Nadal is the only player to have a winning record, head-to-head with Federer. Fed has never figured out his nemesis Nadal.
Nadal plays hideous tennis. His chapter will always be less significant than Roger's. Deal with it.

drakulie
07-05-2012, 06:21 PM

acually, Kuerten also has a winning record vs Federer, as I'm sure many other players do.

But that is what we like about the mentally challenged,,,,, there attention to detail.

TeflonTom
07-05-2012, 07:28 PM
sampras lost n regained the #1 ranking a bunch o times, but he finished ye#1 in six years n they were all consecutive (1993-1998 )

lendl, nadal n fed are the only 3 players to be year end #1 in non-consecutive years

lendl: 1986-1987, 1989
federer: 2004-2007, 2009
nadal: 2008, 2010

fednad
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Nadal can fire aces now primarily because he hasn't played the best returner Jimmy Connors too much lately....cause he rarely can beat J.
immy Connors

brickner_damage
07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Nadal plays hideous tennis. His chapter will always be less significant than Roger's. Deal with it.

Yes disgraceful isn't it....playing tennis in athletic fashion..

fednad
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Who is that mug in your avatar?
Reminds me of a serial killer I saw on TV years back.

brickner_damage
07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Who is that mug in your avatar?
Reminds me of a serial killer I saw on TV years back.

The father of Novak Djokovic..

woodrow1029
07-05-2012, 07:49 PM
sampras lost n regained the #1 ranking a bunch o times, but he finished ye#1 in six years n they were all consecutive (1993-1999)

lendl, nadal n fed are the only 3 players to be year end #1 in non-consecutive years

lendl: 1986-1987, 1989
federer: 2004-2007, 2009
nadal: 2008, 2010

Have a little math problem there, brah? Sampras was 93-98 dood.

timnz
07-05-2012, 07:56 PM

The only reason for the head to head disparity is the high number of times they have played on clay. Why is that important? Well Nadal is recognized as the best player ever on clay. What about Federer - well clay is his worst surface. Who wants to face the best player ever on a surface - when it is your worst surface? And wouldn't be a shame if that was the majority of times you have played - it really wouldn't be truly representative would it?

Head to head is even if you take into account surface

Grass - Federer leading
Indoor Hard - Federer leading
Outdoor hard - Nadal leading
Clay - Nadal leading.

So Nadal is just better on slow high bouncing surfaces whereas Federer is better on fast lower bounching ones. The unfortunate fact is there has been an imbalance of the number of times they have played on the slow high bounching surfaces vs the faster lower bouncing surfaces. It's just that simple.

And before you mention the Australian Open - remember that surface is nearly as slow and high bouncing as the French Open now.

TeflonTom
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Have a little math problem there, brah? Sampras was 93-98 dood.
just a typo brah. thanx 4 the heads up my man.

lemme kno when u get back 2 my post bout umps. coupla other posters had the same question, we were sorry to see u run away

timnz
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes, behind Agassi. Agassi was 33 years and 5 months when he was last ranked world number 1.

Yep - Federer would just sneak ahead of Connors on that list. Connors was last number 1 about 2 months before his 31st Birthday (Federer if he wins Wimbledon would be 1 month before his 31st Birthday).

But we will have to wait and see if it pans out.....

DeShaun
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM

If it were this simple, his play would not be disgraceful.
Not only did Pete and Roger play athletically, but Rafa was not the first guy to raise the fitness bar. That had been done before, by Borg.

Rafa deserves credit for heavily junk balling opponents with lefty bolo forehands as often as he can behind his awesome, game improvement frame-enhanced defense.

Rafa is extremely quick--I've never seen anyone quicker--and his footwork is usually impeccable and he can turn defense into offense on a dime, but his game is hideous to watch because it's so formulaic and lacks any surprise, being all about power power and more power which is boring when wielded in the same way over and over. There's got to be a balance between results and style. Take Dolgopolov for instance. Now his game is too stylistic because it does not get him those top shelf wins; contrarily, Rafa's game is too results-oriented and has no style.

This is just my opinion. :)

TeflonTom
07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
dood dolgopolov is one of the ugliest mofos goin around game-wise

u see him play tomic at the ao? man that was some borin ****. gimme nadz's grindin over the slice n dice show any day.

merlinpinpin
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Actually its not,,heres the rest of it,latest atp rankings are posted this monday-lol

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/27/Wimbledon-Thursday2-Diary.aspx

Cheers
3fees:)

Nope. Sorry, but you're wrong. The points from last year's Wimby haven't been taken off yet, so Nadal is still #2 as of now. Come Monday, however, Federer will either be #2 or #1, depending on whether he wins the tournament or not... ;)

WhiskeyEE
07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
The only reason for the head to head disparity is the high number of times they have played on clay. Why is that important? Well Nadal is recognized as the best player ever on clay. What about Federer - well clay is his worst surface. Who wants to face the best player ever on a surface - when it is your worst surface? And wouldn't be a shame if that was the majority of times you have played - it really wouldn't be truly representative would it?

Head to head is even if you take into account surface

Grass - Federer leading
Indoor Hard - Federer leading
Outdoor hard - Nadal leading
Clay - Nadal leading.

So Nadal is just better on slow high bouncing surfaces whereas Federer is better on fast lower bounching ones. The unfortunate fact is there has been an imbalance of the number of times they have played on the slow high bounching surfaces vs the faster lower bouncing surfaces. It's just that simple.

And before you mention the Australian Open - remember that surface is nearly as slow and high bouncing as the French Open now.

Nadal is only leading the outdoor hard h2h because almost all of those matches were at IW/Miami/AO, which are basically clay. Not real HC events like Cinci and USO.

DeShaun
07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
dood dolgopolov is one of the ugliest mofos goin around game-wise

u see him play tomic at the ao? man that was some borin ****. gimme nadz's grindin over the slice n dice show any day.

I agree. His game is one-dimensional. It emphasizes over-articulated looking strokes with needless embellishing ornamentation, but it seems to possess a flow which can sooth an audience. On the other hand, it does not sooth to watch Rafa or, likewise, something like this coming at me http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1241&bih=606&tbm=isch&tbnid=Elxu1j79Px18aM:&imgrefurl=http://etproducts.com/content/agri-supreme-warranty-program&docid=25LjcCwtpdKwHM&imgurl=https://etproducts.com/sites/default/files/combine.jpeg&w=700&h=500&ei=k4z2T6XiLKjO2gXWp4HqBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=515&vpy=299&dur=506&hovh=187&hovw=262&tx=141&ty=75&sig=102329082288221343113&page=1&tbnh=119&tbnw=156&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:170

TeflonTom
07-05-2012, 11:09 PM
idk what da farque u talkin bout man. nobody likes watchin dolgo's game, it ugly

his matches r only interestin cos he plays different 2 every1 else on tour. tennis is best when it clash of styles

**** lookin player tho. some1 like dimitrov much nicer to watch.

jokinla
07-05-2012, 11:26 PM

Nadal fans conveniently forget that.

jokinla
07-05-2012, 11:32 PM

In addition to Kuerten, Hrbaty also has a winning record against Fed. Did you post anything accurate today?

DM07
07-06-2012, 02:12 AM

It's also the case that for most of their career, they've traded wins pretty evenly - the reason Nadal has the big H2H lead is that he went on two crazy winning streaks against Federer, in early 2006 and summer 2008, at a time when they met a lot on clay but not very often on hard courts.

The H2H since Australia 2009 is 5-4 Nadal. So these day's it's pretty much a toss-up, often decided by surface. That's not too bad for an old man against a big nemesis who's at his physical peak.

The Bawss
07-06-2012, 02:58 AM
In addition to Kuerten, Hrbaty also has a winning record against Fed. Did you post anything accurate today?

Also Andy Murray. The only accurate stuff he has been posting was the Murray-bashing.

Sentinel
07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
After WO, does Fred have chances at getting to #1 for 2 weeks ? When ?

Or will he drop back to #3 after the OG.

cork_screw
07-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Excuse me? You mean #1.

rafan
07-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Well if anything this thread highlights the fact that being number one these days is not as easy as in the past. The top three cannot keep playing at the heights expected in modern tennis without a break. Each slam now becomes a huge marathon because the level of tennis has risen so much

WhiskeyEE
07-07-2012, 09:37 PM
After WO, does Fred have chances at getting to #1 for 2 weeks ? When ?

Or will he drop back to #3 after the OG.

In all likelihood, he'll be #2 until the indoor season at least (I think he'll end in the top 2). As far as what's possible, Nadal could snag it after Cinci. Extremely unlikely.

Sentinel
07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
In all likelihood, he'll be #2 until the indoor season at least (I think he'll end in the top 2). As far as what's possible, Nadal could snag it after Cinci. Extremely unlikely.
So you are saying that if Roger loses today, then he has no chances for getting #1 in the next few months.

Your second last line, Nadal can't snatch #2 back by OG ?

WhiskeyEE
07-07-2012, 09:56 PM
So you are saying that if Roger loses today, then he has no chances for getting #1 in the next few months.

Your second last line, Nadal can't snatch #2 back by OG ?

Nah. Olympics is like 750 points and he'll be behind Roger 900-1000 points if Roger loses tomorrow (I think).

Roger can still get #1 if he loses. He can obviously do well at the olympics, and Novak is defending a W and F at Canada and Cinci whereas Fed is defending almost nothing.

What I meant is that he'll likely be top 2 until at least the indoor season.