PDA

View Full Version : How big is tomorrow for Murray and Great Britain

mcenroefan
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I was just wondering, for those TT'ers living in Great Britain, could you fill the rest of us in on whether there is huge atmosphere building for tomorrow's Murray-Tsonga match? I know it's not the final but it is definitely huge: Murray with a real chance to set the stage for Sunday! Would love to hear from you guys.

The Bawss
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I can feel it everywhere and it makes me sick.

Leto
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't think it's really a big deal over there in England...just heard a tennis update on the BBC, where their top tennis analyst brushed if off, and simply had this to say:

"But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perve(t)ed science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour."

So like I said....I don't think it's that big of a deal :)

jaggy
07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
In Scotland they are deep frying labrador puppies in case there is a mass celebration

Feņa14
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
It's huge, it's been so long since we had anyone in the final, let alone winning the whole thing.

Most people aren't really tennis fans, they only watch tennis for two weeks a year, but to the real fans around the Country and all the great ones we have on here, it has the potential to be one of the biggest things we could have as tennis fans.

Mustard
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
It's pretty big. I just know that if Murray loses to Tsonga, the press will be at their worst in bashing Murray.

pc1
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
It's pretty big. I just know that if Murray loses to Tsonga, the press will be at their worst in bashing Murray.

I was just thinking that myself. At least if Murray gets to the final he can play the role of potential winner or valiant loser to the British press. Can you also imagine Ivan Lendl's standing as a tennis coach if Murray wins?

The best potential story for Wimbledon this year is if Murray wins the tournament ending Englands 66 year drought.

Mustard
07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Can you also imagine Ivan Lendl's standing as a tennis coach if Murray wins?

It will go up, a lot. Murray needs to relish this opportunity he has, and not fear it.

Atherton2003
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Go Tsonga!

Mustard
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
The best potential story for Wimbledon this year is if Murray wins the tournament ending Englands 66 year drought.

It's 76 years since Fred Perry last won Wimbledon, in 1936. It's 66 years since a Frenchman last won Wimbledon, with Yvon Petra in 1946. Murray is Scottish, by the way ;)

timnz
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM

I am sure that is a typo on your part. Of course you mean Britains 66 year drought. I wonder how supportive the english are towards Murray - a Scot?

Mustard
07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I am sure that is a typo on your part. Of course you mean Britains 66 year drought. I wonder how supportive the english are towards Murray - a Scot?

As Murray himself once joked, he's British when he wins and Scottish when he loses.

Atherton2003
07-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I think if Murray manages to lose again - even his own Mother won't talk to him anymore.

pc1
07-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Double typo, it's 76 years.

kishnabe
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM

I sorta feel like you are the Clarky version for Murray. Come on be happy for a guy from your Country. Sure he is a twat, annoying, and a boring game.

It an imporant milestone for British Tennis. If Murray can reach the final here.....many British, Scotish, Irish, Welsh kids would be get into tennis!

It sucks that Murray Tsonga match is the latter match. I rather it be first so I can sleep through it....then watch Federer Djokovic the best Semifinal Match.

Atherton2003
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Breaking news....Murray has decided to wear a pair of underpants for the semi-final tomorrow.

Feņa14
07-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I sorta feel like you are the Clarky version for Murray. Come on be happy for a guy from your Country. Sure he is a twat, annoying, and a boring game.

It an imporant milestone for British Tennis. If Murray can reach the final here.....many British, Scotish, Irish, Welsh kids would be get into tennis!

It sucks that Murray Tsonga match is the latter match. I rather it be first so I can sleep through it....then watch Federer Djokovic the best Semifinal Match.

I thought it was great for British kids to see Murray achieving things nobody has done for over 75 years? Having him on first when the kids are still at school wouldn't make much sense, as long a you can sleep though ;) I like it lol.

Zildite
07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
As Murray himself once joked, he's British when he wins and Scottish when he loses.

At the moment, 92% British (http://andymurrayometer.com/) :!:

darrinbaker00
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Just like Greg Rusedski was British when he won and Canadian when he lost.

Totai
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Its too bad murray doesn't have the personality of Nadal on court. Right now, he is kind of a lame moaner, but the brits have to root for him.

Can you imagine if he was just like nadal, vamosing, intense, fist bumping in your opponents face! Britain would be on fire right now!

Sid_Vicious
07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Its too bad murray doesn't have the personality of Nadal on court. Right now, he is kind of a lame moaner, but the brits have to root for him.

Can you imagine if he was just like nadal, vamosing, intense, fist bumping in your opponents face! Britain would be on fire right now!

Murray does each and every one of those things and he also lets out an audible "C'mon!" after every other point.

mcenroefan
07-05-2012, 07:44 PM

It wouldn't be fair....Tsonga is a very real threat to win it all. Among those remaining, he might stand the best chance to beat Nole. He played very competitively with Nole 2.0 last year.

I'm happy to hear there is some excitement building....Fed-Nole is just an appetizer for the real meal!

Totai
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Murray does each and every one of those things and he also lets out an audible "C'mon!" after every other point.

He might do it, but he comes off as a wimpy whiner with a feeble bend over fist bump. Its like he is doing it just to do it, there is no passion in there.

Mainad
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM

It's worse than you think, its 76 years and nobody is ending England's drought anytime soon. Murray might just conceivably be the first ever Scotsman to end Britain's 76 year drought if he plays his tennis right! :wink:

Cosmic_Colin
07-05-2012, 10:51 PM
If Murray can reach the final here.....many British, Scotish, Irish, Welsh kids would be get into tennis!

Surely you mean English rather than British here?

Nostradamus
07-05-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't think it will be as big of deal unless Murray goes all the way to the final and Wins it. if he loses in the final then it will just be another disappointment and british press will just say he only got to the final because Rafa wasn't there.
Typical british press.

The Bawss
07-05-2012, 11:26 PM

The issue isn't really Murray, it's the crazy overhype. You literally have to see it to believe it.

http://news.sky.com/story/956757/wimbledon-murray-mania-sweeps-britain

batz
07-05-2012, 11:27 PM
He might do it, but he comes off as a wimpy whiner with a feeble bend over fist bump. Its like he is doing it just to do it, there is no passion in there.

I've seen Murray bashed for some odd reasons - but 'his fistpump isn't passionate enough' takes the biscuit. How can you bash him for that when he has those teeth?

Back on topic - there is definitely something in the air this morning in the UK. If Murray makes final - the place will be jumping.

Russeljones
07-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Sky News after Murray's win over Ferrer: Magnificent Murray thrills etc. etc.

Fedex
07-06-2012, 01:48 AM

If you had a proper job and a life, you maybe wouldn't feel it so much.

Fedex
07-06-2012, 01:52 AM
The issue isn't really Murray, it's the crazy overhype. You literally have to see it to believe it.

You only see what you want to see.
Are you really British btw or just anti Scots?

rafan
07-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I was just wondering, for those TT'ers living in Great Britain, could you fill the rest of us in on whether there is huge atmosphere building for tomorrow's Murray-Tsonga match? I know it's not the final but it is definitely huge: Murray with a real chance to set the stage for Sunday! Would love to hear from you guys.

Yes I think after the constant football results Murray has got more on his back, poor guy, than just Wimbledon. Many people here would love a win in that context and I hope Djoko is kind to him!

rafan
07-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Yes I think after the constant football results Murray has got more on his back, poor guy, than just Wimbledon. Many people here would love a win in that context and I hope Djoko is kind to him!

I am assuming he will beat Tsonga and go on to Djoko who I think will be in the final unless he is not having a good day

Gorecki
07-06-2012, 02:24 AM
the match is very big, but bigger because of how the british media works.

there is a few scenarios possible:

Murray loses, gets the worst beatdown by the sharp edges of british press....

Murray wins, only to lose the final to FedJock and the beatings are even worse...

Murray wins the Final and mayhem gest installed, havoc becomes the norm for 3 days...

either of the scenarios, i think murray does has good chance of winning, barring a brain fart...

The Bawss
07-06-2012, 02:32 AM
You only see what you want to see.
Are you really British btw or just anti Scots?

What's the difference?

BeHappy
07-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Tsampras in 4.