PDA

View Full Version : Federer Mentally Weak?

ExpertLoser
07-06-2012, 05:23 AM
I am a huge Federer fan, but I've had some thoughts about him that I haven't read anyone voice anywhere (admittedly, I don't spend a whole lot of time on the boards), and was wondering what others thought:

1. I've often thought he gets into a bit of a ******* contest with his opponents, for instance, the epic Wimbledon match with Nadal, in my opinion, wouldn't have been so hard if he'd've serve and volleyed more often. It seemed, from watching, in my opinion, that he was thinking, "I'm Federer. I will beat you AT Wimbledon playing you at YOUR game - baseline tennis." Rather than, "I'm going to do what it takes to put this thing away".

2. Roger's always struck me as a great player when ahead early. There was, no doubt, an intimidation factor by which he expected opponents to wilt before they even stepped on court with him that was a legitimate part of his success in mid-career. I think he thinks he still has that, but he doesn't. So now, in the later years of his career, he actually has to gut some of these matches out - get hungry, dig deep, sweat for crying out loud!!!! - but I don't see him getting passionate that way. I sense a resignation in him when a match begins to get contested, and certainly when an opponent is hustling and he isn't. I remember reading somewhere that Roger said he threw tantrums early in his career, and I'm not advising a return to that, but I think someone ought to tell him to fire himself up during a match. I'm suggesting the great Fed needs a head-coach!

Thoughts?

BullDogTennis
07-06-2012, 06:02 AM
I am a huge Federer fan, but I've had some thoughts about him that I haven't read anyone voice anywhere (admittedly, I don't spend a whole lot of time on the boards), and was wondering what others thought:

1. I've often thought he gets into a bit of a ******* contest with his opponents, for instance, the epic Wimbledon match with Nadal, in my opinion, wouldn't have been so hard if he'd've serve and volleyed more often. It seemed, from watching, in my opinion, that he was thinking, "I'm Federer. I will beat you AT Wimbledon playing you at YOUR game - baseline tennis." Rather than, "I'm going to do what it takes to put this thing away".

2. Roger's always struck me as a great player when ahead early. There was, no doubt, an intimidation factor by which he expected opponents to wilt before they even stepped on court with him that was a legitimate part of his success in mid-career. I think he thinks he still has that, but he doesn't. So now, in the later years of his career, he actually has to gut some of these matches out - get hungry, dig deep, sweat for crying out loud!!!! - but I don't see him getting passionate that way. I sense a resignation in him when a match begins to get contested, and certainly when an opponent is hustling and he isn't. I remember reading somewhere that Roger said he threw tantrums early in his career, and I'm not advising a return to that, but I think someone ought to tell him to fire himself up during a match. I'm suggesting the great Fed needs a head-coach!

Thoughts?

does federer not have a coach? :confused:

SwankPeRFection
07-06-2012, 07:17 AM
There are times when Fed wants to play his game and win. Then there are times when Fed must play a different game to win.

These are the differences that cause him to win or lose. He's much happier playing his shotmaker game for the fans and winning easily. The issue is, the top guys no longer allow him to do this as they did before. It's not that he can't play any other way, but he prefers to do it his way like it's always worked out in the past. I think this year he's realized that it's no longer applicable for him to be like that, so he's changed his tactics a bit against the big guys. He still goes back and plays his old school way with the weaker players, but he just needs to be careful who he thinks is a weaker player. Basically, he just needs to start coming out hammering on the opponent in the first set and keep the pressure. If he can do that, he wins the match.

Swissv2
07-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm suggesting the great Fed needs a head-coach!
Thoughts?

Federer already has Paul Annacone, the former coach of Pete Sampras.

Wangtang1
07-06-2012, 07:28 AM
1. I hate when anyone suggests serve and volley, Nadal takes the **** out of it. So many times has Fedrerer hit an approach close to the line but Nadal passes him. The commentators just say he has to hit closer to the line. Surely if you're going for the line, you might as well make it a winner rather than an approach.

I never watched the USopen 2009 final but I think people were criticising Federer for doing what you said.

2. I think you're wrong, but I used to think the same thing. How many times have we seen him meekly slice a second serve in to the net in a crucial point against Nadal? Sometimes I wish he'd go crazy, but, overall. his current mentality is definitely the best.

El Diablo
07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
1) Fed is 30 years old and brings in about 50 million dollars a year.
2) He has been with the same woman his entire adult life, a woman of fluctuating proportions.
3) He has never been implicated in any romantic scandal.

ExpertLoser
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
1. The board took out my word "*******" - in case anyone wondered what kind of contest I meant...

2. I didn't mean "head coach", I meant "head-coach" - like someone to feed him psychological, competitive-type info - I was thinking what Gilbert and trainer Reyes did for Agassi. Admittedly, I don't know what Paul Annacone brings to the table.

3. I wasn't suggesting a switch to serve and volley would have led to victory to many matches. But standing at the baseline and slugging it out hasn't worked a majority of the time against Nadal, either. Especially against Nadal in the Wimbledon final, Roger's backhand was letting him down but he kept trusting it!

joeri888
07-06-2012, 09:05 AM
If Ferrer is a mental giant, i dont know what kind of mental god Federer is.