PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jo-Willy's One-Hander?

veritech
07-06-2012, 08:47 AM
due to work i'm not able to watch the whole match, just quips of it (thanks to streaming) but a few of the points i'm seeing has JWT using his one-handed back hand every so often. tsonga, as most of the world knows, has a pretty good two hander and it seems odd that he sometimes pulls the one hander, especially at this point in a slam. for those watching, is it effective or is it just plain careless?

Carsomyr
07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't understand its use as a rally shot, since he's spent his career as a professional player using a two-hander. As a passing shot, it gives him more reach.

hcb0804
07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
He needs to keep that shot in the bag.

veritech
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
wow tsonga wins two beautiful points with that one hander... smh

DownTheLine
07-06-2012, 09:21 AM
He should really just not use it. But I'm also here and he's there.. so what do i know?

vtec407
07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I noticed him hitting a one-hander during the Kohlschreiber match. Doesn't he use a 100" head size racket?

ductrung3993
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
"Dont worry about it"- to umpire's false overuling against him. True class from Tsonga. Murray'd have torn him apart lol

donnayblack99
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Thought it was great! The next thing you know, he'll be hitting a two handed forehand at the Open!

Sriki_tennis_maniac
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
He used a 1-hander last year against Fed too..

underground
07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Tsonga should be a 1-handed BH, he's not the type who doesn't have the power to hit with 1 hand, and he did a couple of beautiful points with it today.

stormholloway
07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I've never liked his two hander. He should have been raised on the one.

bluetrain4
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
His two hander is pretty ugly and relatively weak. But, it would be a HUGE thing to change to a full-time one-hander at this point.

I'm sort of mystified when he uses the one-hander as a normal rally shot. I understand it when he's pulled wide and is going for a passing shot and doesn't have the reach with this two-hander, but why would he just pull it out when he can hit his normal backhand?

Today he won a point hitting a one-hander, a slice, and a two-hander. LOL.

I really like Tsonga. Like his game style (even if it creates dizzying highs and lows) and he seems to be a classy guy. Though, some TWers claim they can't stand him just because of his post-win dance.

roundiesee
07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
It's a great shot; he should just use it on a regular basis and drop his two-hander! :)

TeflonTom
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
guy is perfect example of y players shouldnt try n develop 2 bhs

on face of it, his ability to hit 1hbh that is often devastatin n beautiful seems like advantage in terms of more variation. but, his primary 2hbh is pretty crappy shot for a top player. makes me wonder how much better itd be if he had focused on it completely n developed it properly

also wonder how good his 1hbh could be if he'd dumped the 2hbh early n worked on developin it into a solid shot

as a result he has amazin variety on bh side, but no consistency. 99% of the time is is his big weakness.

tsonga bh totally encapsulates y he such frustratin player

ht2791
07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
are there any videos of him using it? missing all these matches

mikekelley
07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
guy is perfect example of y players shouldnt try n develop 2 bhs

on face of it, his ability to hit 1hbh that is often devastatin n beautiful seems like advantage in terms of more variation. but, his primary 2hbh is pretty crappy shot for a top player. makes me wonder how much better itd be if he had focused on it completely n developed it properly

also wonder how good his 1hbh could be if he'd dumped the 2hbh early n worked on developin it into a solid shot

as a result he has amazin variety on bh side, but no consistency. 99% of the time is is his big weakness.

tsonga bh totally encapsulates y he such frustratin player

Tsonga is a perfect example of why players shouldn't try to develop two backhands.

On the face of it, his ability to hit a one-handed backhand that is often devastating and beautiful seems like an advantage in terms of more variety. But, his primary two-handed backhand is a pretty crappy shot for a top player. It makes me wonder how much better it (his one-handed backhand) would be if he had focused on it completely and developed it properly.

I also wonder how good his one-handed backhand could be if he'd dumped the two-handed backhand early and worked on developing his one-hander into a solid shot.

As a result he has amazing variety on his backhand side, but no consistency. 99% of the time it is his big weakness.

Tsonga's backhand totally encapsulates why he is such a frustrating player.

TT, you're welcome. Holy hell.

TeflonTom
07-06-2012, 07:39 PM
awh, u take all the fun outta it brah.