PDA

View Full Version : Federer still has the best footwork of the top 4.

JustBob
07-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, I know that Fed has lost a step, so I'm not referring to speed and court coverage. "Footwork" as in taking the necessary (not too many, not too few) small steps to get into position to hit the ball while maintaining his balance. Cases in point: Madrid blue clay and this Wimbledon where I've seen Nadal, Murray and Djokovic slip and fall numerous times.

kishnabe
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
He does have the best footwork. Though he is not as fast as before.
On Grass he can get away with it....or maybe he is justing playing too good like 2011 FO.

Jay_The_Nomad
07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Nadal has the best footwork. Running around those backhands require good footwork.

tennis_pro
07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Nadal has the best footwork. Running around those backhands require good footwork.

That's speed you're talking about. Nadal has good footwork, though.

JustBob
07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Nadal has great quickness and speed but he's also so strong that he's able to muscle/hit balls with efficiency while he's off balance/out of position. But having great footwork also means that a player is able to adapt to the surface and playing conditions, without slipping all over he place and falling on his arse. ;)

VetoRight
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
On RG Nadal>>>>Fed.
On Grass it's debatable, Fed has better serve, forehand, backhand, volley than nadal, but they met 3 times on grass it's very close matches, it's because of nadal's foowork.
On HC, yes it's federer better than nadal in every matter, 9slams>>>2slams.

mcenroefan
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I think he still has the best balance and coordination from surface to surface and I think his movement is more fluid and beautiful than anyone else.

As for current court coverage (with Fed losing a couple of steps), I think it's Nole and then Nadal/Murray.

All of these guys really have fantastic footwork and movement.

ChanceEncounter
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
On RG Nadal>>>>Fed.
On Grass it's debatable, Fed has better serve, forehand, backhand, volley than nadal, but they met 3 times on grass it's very close matches, it's because of nadal's foowork.
On HC, yes it's federer better than nadal in every matter, 9slams>>>2slams.
You can't analyze footwork via their results. A slow, weak-weaponed player could have the best footwork but still have poor results because they aren't fast enough to chase down balls or hit them back with any power.

In terms of actual footwork, Federer is up there.

MichaelNadal
07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Idk, it's close between Fed and Rafa. I think Rafa's footwork is better at this stage but that's my opinion. Federer's is still fantastic obviously.

Swissv2
07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Several times during the Fed-Novak match did I see Novak slip. Federer, no times, though he was getting to the ball extremely fast.

A sign of good footwork? Yes

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Several times during the Fed-Novak match did I see Novak slip. Federer, no times, though he was getting to the ball extremely fast.

A sign of good footwork? Yes

Compared to Federer, Novak seems to take much bigger steps to the ball. He practically lunges into the shot. I think on HC it is amazingly effective. He gets from point A to B really quickly and gets the traction from the court to explode in any direction he wants. On grass courts, after he lunges to hit the ball he can't recover to the midcourt as quickly.