PDA

View Full Version : Will Federer Take A Dive?

dancraig
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Is there a chance Federer will let Murray win, so the Brits can have a champ at Wimbeldon? He is a very nice guy. :rolleyes:

Mainad
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Is there a chance Federer will let Murray win, so the Brits can have a champ at Wimbeldon? He is a very nice guy. :rolleyes:

Lol...he's not THAT nice! :)

Fedex
07-06-2012, 03:19 PM

So if Federer wins he's the greatest. If he loses it's because he threw the match.
I've heard it all now.
Murray really cannot win no matter what he does.

Swissv2
07-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Typing Sampras's record, getting to #1 in the world again after a few years...

Um no.

TMF
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Fed hasn't won a slam for over 2 years, and this is WB, his favorite slam. The answer is no, but try ask Serena the same question.

The Bawss
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
So if Federer wins he's the greatest. If he loses it's because he threw the match.
I've heard it all now.
Murray really cannot win no matter what he does.

Federer is going to win and that is that. There will be no excuses other than "but muzza had to play with the weight of the nation of his shoulders! He is the favourite for the US Open though!"

MesQueUnClub
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Probably. Not b'cos he's a nice guy, but b'cos he could get bumped to a higher NTRP rating(5.0 may be) and there aren't any league teams that play at that level where he's from. :rolleyes:

heftylefty
07-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Fed hasn't won a slam for over 2 years, and this is WB, his favorite slam. The answer is no, but try ask Serena the same question.

Something tell me that Ms. Williams has a restraining order against you. And for good reason.

hcb0804
07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
God would smile upon him if he did. He's won enough; subtly lose, and you win, Roger.

martini1
07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Typing Sampras's record, getting to #1 in the world again after a few years...

Um no.

No just that. Did he also short on being the most weeks at #1?

SwankPeRFection
07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Had he won Wimbledon for the past couple of years, yes, I think he might have done it... maybe. But given the circumstances, no way this time.

kishnabe
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM

You know professionals suffer every day to be in perfect form. They dream of winning GS and especially Wimbledon. Do you think Federer who loves Wimbledon would give a slam to Murray. This the guy who is ****ed off that he lost to Novak at the US Open twice.

If Federer had the option he would triple bagel Murray. Not even a single donation.

This isn't a 250 with a 30 year old friend like Haas in the final.....to be mellow in the match.

JustBob
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes he will. On match point he will dive for a volley, the ball will clip the tape and drop on the other side for his 17th slam title.

MichaelNadal
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
If he didn't do it for Roddick in 09, it's not gonna happen lol.

90's Clay
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
It's difficult to bet against Roger here. He played great today, totally outclassing a surprisingly feeble Djoker, and he'll be itching to get this Wimbledon title. It would be a remarkable achievement and his aggression and willingness to dictate the rallies should overwhelm Andy.

An important feature is if it's an indoor match. As per previous threads by Cali, I'm implacably opposed to GS tennis being played indoors, but if it is, this will favour Roger even more. Watching today, indoor grass plays almost as quick as old outdoor grass, and Nole hadn't the game or presence of mind to play short, strike-first rallies. Often he'd let a floater bounce, and then hit it. It seems strange to me that barely a generation removed from Sampras, the ability to cut to the chase is gone.

Federer is best equipped to handle these fast conditions, whereas Andy in mentally tuned to peering in the dark and playing it by ear. I didn't see him today but he seems to have held firm, but playing Roger, he'll have to serve like crazy, back it up with impromptu kill-strikes, and be forward in his returns. He can do it, if he can block out the Queen of England, Sir Francis Drake, William Shakespeare and Pippa's Arse - all sitting with avaricious, 80 years of hurt, eyes in the Royal Box.

Federer, strongly, in 4...

recreationalplayer
07-06-2012, 06:17 PM
No. Roger has smelled blood in the water since Nadal was ousted.

Often in a big match there is an initial feeling out period between players but not this time. From the first ball struck Roger will play at a level that may reward him with his most convincing Wimbledon Championship. It could be embarrassing for Andy Murry.

Objective Danny
07-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Now that you post it; didn't Federer 'lay down' for Murray once before?

Blinkism
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
If Fed wants to have a fairy-tale retirement slam win, this could be the one (beating a Brit in the Wimbledon final)...

but, with the Olympics around the corner and no real reason to retire, he definitely won't.

Still, perfect time to retire if he's been secretly considering it (which is like 1% likely).

serengetisunset
07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
No. His nicety will be limited to a gracious post match speech.

paulorenzo
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM

very true, if fed would have done it for anyone it would have been arod at that wimby.

Sentinel
07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, so he fought hard to come back against Bennetau, and again played with a back problem against Malice ;) and beat the #1, only to give the final away. When he has quite a bit on the line himself.

No way.

DunlopMax200G
07-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Is there a chance Federer will let Murray win, so the Brits can have a champ at Wimbeldon? He is a very nice guy.

Mr. Nice Guy excerpt post match after winning:
"Andy is a great player. It was unfortunate not to have won today for the home crowd. He will have many more chances to win his first GS. I am sure he will win very soon."

cc0509
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
You know professionals suffer every day to be in perfect form. They dream of winning GS and especially Wimbledon. Do you think Federer who loves Wimbledon would give a slam to Murray. This the guy who is ****ed off that he lost to Novak at the US Open twice.

If Federer had the option he would triple bagel Murray. Not even a single donation.

This isn't a 250 with a 30 year old friend like Haas in the final.....to be mellow in the match.

Exactly, there is no question Federer gave that Halle match up for his good friend Haas but Wimbledon where he can tie Pete's record for a 7th title and surpass Pete's weeks at number one record plus get a 17th slam in the process? Not a chance. This is what Federer has been talking about for over a year--i.e. to win Wimbledon again and try and win an Olympic Gold. If Murray wants to win he will have to work hard unless the "inconsistent" Federer shows up somehow which happens more and more the older a player gets.

Feather
07-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Seriously despite being a die hard Roger Federer fan, I felt hurt that time. I always felt Andy Roddick deserved a Wimbledon. It was a strange experience for me, I felt happy and sad at the same time..

sbengte
07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Why do you think arrogant Fed will do that ? Leave it to Humbalito (recently turned Gamblito) to do it the next time he faces Murray in a slam final ;-)

valiant
07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Why do you think arrogant Fed will do that ? Leave it to Humbalito (recently turned Gamblito) to do it the next time he faces Murray in a slam final ;-)

Also they are very good friends :twisted:

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Seriously despite being a die hard Roger Federer fan, I felt hurt that time. I always felt Andy Roddick deserved a Wimbledon. It was a strange experience for me, I felt happy and sad at the same time..

i know what you mean. similar to when murray lost to federer in their second gs final.

valiant
07-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Exactly, there is no question Federer gave that Halle match up for his good friend Haas but Wimbledon where he can tie Pete's record for a 7th title and surpass Pete's weeks at number one record plus get a 17th slam in the process? Not a chance. This is what Federer has been talking about for over a year--i.e. to win Wimbledon again and try and win an Olympic Gold. If Murray wants to win he will have to work hard unless the "inconsistent" Federer shows up somehow which happens more and more the older a player gets.

I doubt any player would gift a match to anyone. It doesnt matter if they are good friends . I dint watch that match but maybe Haas played better and Federer was not so good that day.

mandy01
07-07-2012, 12:27 AM
On the other hand, Federer should've never lost to Haas in that final. Roger has lost so many matches that should've won that nothing is ever certain with him.
Moreover his movement is still suspect. When his serve % dropped in the second set, you could especially tell how upright he was on his forehand side because Novak kept attacking that side and Roger just wasn't getting down enough. He got somewhat better in the third but he needs to do more. In the two finals that Federer won against Murray, his movement was exceptional.
He's going to need that movement, he's going to have to leave it all out there on the court if he wants to come through.

valiant
07-07-2012, 12:27 AM

I was in two minds. I wanted Fed to win but then Andy was playing so well it was becoming tough to totally root for Roger as it could be his last chance . Then I thought whoever wins is fine with me. I felt sad for Andy after the match and I think everyone did.

Fedex
07-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Would a guy with 16 slams of killer instinct really take a dive.

mandy01
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I was in two minds. I wanted Fed to win but then Andy was playing so well it was becoming tough to totally root for Roger as it could be his last chance . Then I thought whoever wins is fine with me. I felt sad for Andy after the match and I think everyone did.

True. Honestly, I would love it if Roddick wins Wimbledon ( he'll likely need a fairytale run ala Goran).