PDA

View Full Version : Why some should think before posting

jukka1970
07-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I realize that we all have our favorites, and will defend them. I also realize that some things are less likely to happen then others. But there are so many on here that are just jerks with their posting. Saying that so and so is done, and that they'll never win again. And it's not just for Federer, I've seen it for Nadal, Djokovic, Roddick, etc.

Well I haven't seen so much crow served on this board since 1963 when the movie the Birds came out. Perhaps people should think before they post an absolute, and concentrate more on just wishing people luck.

Wuppy
07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
That's why I suggest that users be limited to 10 posts a day. That way people will post less drivel, if they are capable of doing so. And if they aren't, then we are only subjected to 10 worthless posts per user per day.

El Diablo
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
If people followed your advice, there could be an increase in the murder rate. One of the social purposes of such forums is to allow for a safe way to neutralize aggression, e.g. by trashing Andy Murray. Video games and action films also offer outlets for such aggression. No, people should think LESS before posting.

Wuppy
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I very much doubt that the clowns who call each other names from behind their monitors are capable of murdering anyone.

LuckyR
07-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I realize that we all have our favorites, and will defend them. I also realize that some things are less likely to happen then others. But there are so many on here that are just jerks with their posting. Saying that so and so is done, and that they'll never win again. And it's not just for Federer, I've seen it for Nadal, Djokovic, Roddick, etc.

Well I haven't seen so much crow served on this board since 1963 when the movie the Birds came out. Perhaps people should think before they post an absolute, and concentrate more on just wishing people luck.

Isn't the Internet great? Back in the preNet age, yes Virginia, there was a time before computers, if someone stated that Laver was done in 68, or that Borg would have a really long career, or that the Pro game was doomed to failure, they would later have to face those individuals and would have to admit they were essentially full of 5hit.

Now since there is so much random garbage floating around, masquerading as "predictions", the strategy is: say whatever BS you can dream up and the 1% of the time you are correct you can make like Nostradamus and the 99% of the time you were wrong, no one will know or care.

Raging Buddha
07-06-2012, 07:10 PM
That's why I suggest that users be limited to 10 posts a day. That way people will post less drivel, if they are capable of doing so. And if they aren't, then we are only subjected to 10 worthless posts per user per day.
I'm sorry to say this, but...okay fine, whatever, I'm not going to bother thinking before posting my immediate reaction.

What the shizz are you smoking?

namelessone
07-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Oh I second this whole heartedly.

Imagine the stress some of these trolls would feel knowing that they have only 10 posts to troll per day.

Quality over quantitity people. :)

Raging Buddha
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Imagine the stress some of these trolls would feel knowing that they have only 10 posts to troll per day.

Countless people here aren't trolls and easily average over 10 per day.

Even I am only around 2.5 per day but I've recently gotten a lot of free time to post more.

And this is a highly active board. If you are heavily involved in discussions, you can rack up a lot in a short time.

El Diablo
07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Whoopee
what do you know of murderers? I evaluate them monthly at a prison psychiatric hospital in the Hudson valley, and some of the keyboard name-callers here are eerily reminiscent of some of the most deadly offenders.

Sentinel
07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I very much doubt that the clowns who call each other names from behind their monitors are capable of murdering anyone.
LOL.

oh ooops, forgot to think before i poasted.:)

kragster
07-06-2012, 08:43 PM
If people followed your advice, there could be an increase in the murder rate. One of the social purposes of such forums is to allow for a safe way to neutralize aggression, e.g. by trashing Andy Murray. Video games and action films also offer outlets for such aggression. No, people should think LESS before posting.

You raise a very interesting point but I've noticed that whenever I get involved in an intense debate on this site, I always end up in a worse mood than when I started.

I think there are positive outlets for anger/aggression but I don't see this forum as one of them.

Feather
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM

I don't think it's of no use. All these trolls have multiple accounts. And during match discussions we post easily more than ten in just one thread. Those match discussions would lose its charm if the number of posts is reduced to ten per user.

JustBob
07-06-2012, 09:07 PM
The trolls are annoying but they are also an endless source of entertainment. No offense to anyone, but considering that what passes for serious discussion rarely rises above the infantile "my Xbox is better than your PS3" level, I certainly do not come here to gather knowledge about the sport of tennis.

kragster
07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't think it's of no use. All these trolls have multiple accounts. And during match discussions we post easily more than ten in just one thread. Those match discussions would lose its charm if the number of posts is reduced to ten per user.

I think a better system would be the ability to flag someone as a troll :). And then if more than 10 users have flagged someone as a troll then that person should have limited posting ability!

Although trolls can keep creating new accounts, getting a new account is still a hassle. At some point even the best of trolls will give up or at least slow down.

Wuppy
07-06-2012, 09:24 PM
The problem with that is that people would flag users who simply post unpopular opinions. It would be very conformist/fascist. That's why you need something that doesn't rely on users to rate other users. Just a 10-post limit. Or 15 posts. Whatever. You could waive the limit in certain forums.

kragster
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
The problem with that is that people would flag users who simply post unpopular opinions. It would be very conformist/fascist. That's why you need something that doesn't rely on users to rate other users. Just a 10-post limit. Or 15 posts. Whatever. You could waive the limit in certain forums.

Fair point. I think the 10 posts per day would also be good from the point that it would force people to waste less time on this forum and do more productive things in life!

Power Player
07-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Lol.........

Fedex
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
The trolls are annoying but they are also an endless source of entertainment. No offense to anyone, but considering that what passes for serious discussion rarely rises above the infantile "my Xbox is better than your PS3" level, I certainly do not come here to gather knowledge about the sport of tennis.

Yes they are, and I notice even good posters can turn a bit troll like and arrogant when their favoured player does well.

frinton
07-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Maybe you are asking a bit too much of some active in this forum :twisted:?
On a more serious note, I think the very aggressive trolls around here do think about what they post, but it is not their goal to say something thoughtful, but something hurtful. I don't know why moderators are not taking care of such trolls a bit more often :confused:

RD 7
07-06-2012, 10:00 PM

I'm not sure human emotions are hygienic enough to help you on this. And maybe that's a good thing.

Loving your favorite player and hating the "other guy" is part of why people set their alarm clocks and paint their faces. Maturity is boring. Unfortunately, these ugly emotions and silly noises are what connect people to the world.

Okay, fine, I'll just quote Joan Didion.

"We tell ourselves stories in order to live. The princess is caged in the
consulate. The man with the candy will lead the children into the sea.
.... We live entirely by the imposition of a narrative line upon disparate
images, by the 'ideas' with which we have learned to freeze the shifting
phantasmagoria which is our actual experience."

Sentinel
07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I think a better system would be the ability to flag someone as a troll :). And then if more than 10 users have flagged someone as a troll then that person should have limited posting ability!

Although trolls can keep creating new accounts, getting a new account is still a hassle. At some point even the best of trolls will give up or at least slow down.
Flagging posts requires a change in the software, and that could slow the system down too. Not sure it would really have an impact, I've heard of other communities like (can't remember) where large groups of people having some political agenda would swoop down on some posts and threads and downvote them into oblivion, or upvote their own agenda.

Also, I don't think banning really works. if you don't ban a known troll, he is likely to stay with his one account, and we all then know him and can ignore him. Once you start banning, he keeps coming back and getting smarter, and wishes to hit back even more. We would go nuts ignoring so many people. That's what is happening with so many accounts for bullzie.

That is why I think the mods don't immediately ban someone who comes in with a dupe IP. They wait for him to tire out a bit, and then ban him (if they do). That's what I feel. Also I think they don't want a "police state". They want to give people a chance to improve/sort out.

I don't think creating a new account is a hassle for a troll. I think some of them have already created a dozen accounts and keep switching. Thus, you find these "sleeper" accounts suddenly coming back when one person is banned.

I really haven;t figured out what kick it gives people to spend their day annoying others, or hating on others. Maybe they've never had the joy of being friends or helping others.

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Spot-on. It's really irritating to have to wade through vast amounts of trolling and player-hatred just to access some good tennis facts and figures. :mad:

Fedalfan
07-07-2012, 12:12 AM

LOL! Although I do feel bad for Murray...he'll get flamed both ways - if he wins or loses!

Swissv2
07-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Telling people to think before they post is like telling water not to be wet.

It's impossible, the posts are inevitable; so we just have to deal with them like naive kids who believe they understand string theory like they do pooping in their diapers.

jukka1970
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Maybe you are asking a bit too much of some active in this forum :twisted:?
On a more serious note, I think the very aggressive trolls around here do think about what they post, but it is not their goal to say something thoughtful, but something hurtful. I don't know why moderators are not taking care of such trolls a bit more often :confused:

It probably is to much to ask. It just kind of sucks that as some others have said that we have to wade through garbage. I'm not sure what constitutes a moderator being involved, and quite honestly some of the worst offenders just keep getting new accounts after the moderator has blocked them.

I'm not sure whether limiting the amount of posts in a day would really work. As some have said there are days when they have more time to write and like to be real active, and some just have a little time here and there, like myself. It's one of the reasons I have to go through a couple of pages to answer people in one of my posts, because there are a lot of posters on here.

The other piece is I just don't get why someone would be dumb enough to be radical on a post just to have it blow up in their face, or to post something so absurd that it's never going to happen. I mean there's a difference between a realistic chance vs, Person X winning the next 24 straight slams. I mean yes anything is possible in life, but there seems that some just don't get the difference. And when people do talk about things that are possibilities then you get the "kids" who make stupid answers that are of a fourth grader mentality. Personally those are the ones I'd like to see go. I mean if they're just going to type something like, "you're stupid" why is it left up by moderators. I mean yes it can be ignored, but the posts are so quick that it keeps garbage at the beginning of the board, and then you have to wade through everything to find the posts that are intellectual, or at least fun in some way.

Numenor
07-07-2012, 05:40 PM
At some point even the best of trolls will give up or at least slow down.

You would think. But the GOAT of trolling, ********* and his billion accounts, has been at it since at least August 2008 (and maybe earlier, I wasn't lurking before then). You have to admire him for his persistence.

jaggy
07-07-2012, 06:12 PM
It's my right not to think before posting and my posting history confirms this!

jigar
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Don't feed trolls to start with..
Rather than making as flag, have system to vote up on a post. This way we know whose post to read and whose to ignore. This way you can not demote anyone but only promote. It would be hard for trolls to get very high + votes hence making their post really insignificant and TT users can simply skip their post.

Hood_Man
07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Best thing to do is just not respond to it. You can try to be King Canute and command the tide all you want, but that tide of trolls is never going to go away unless you stop giving them what they crave; attention.

There's not much the mods can really do either, they can't monitor every post and they can only really act when people tell them what's happening. Reporting someone for trolling is the only real option, arguing back will only drag things out even further.

Now, if you enjoy arguing with them then by all means carry on, but that's a different matter altogether.