PDA

View Full Version : This will be the 2nd time in Fed's 24 Slam finals that he won't be the crowd favorite

Agassifan
07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
and even then, I think about 20% of the crowd would be cheering for him.. just like in New York

WhiskeyEE
07-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't think it will be that bad. Tennis isn't a sport where everyone just blindly cheers for their compatriots. I couldn't care less how well Milos Raonic does and most other Canadians are the same. I imagine it's similar in Britain.

The whole Henman Hill/Murray Mound crap just sounds like media hype.

WhiskeyEE
07-06-2012, 10:22 PM
And If you're referring to his match with Agassi, that's different. Agassi is the most popular tennis player of all time. Murray isn't popular at all.

NadalAgassi
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
And If you're referring to his match with Agassi, that's different. Agassi is the most popular tennis player of all time. Murray isn't popular at all.

He is in Britian. Global popularity is meaningless when both are playing in their own countries. Agassi's Worldwide popularity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Murray's. Agassi's popularity in the U.S > Murray's in Britian.

WhiskeyEE
07-06-2012, 10:29 PM
He is in Britian. Global popularity is meaningless when both are playing in their own countries. Agassi's Worldwide popularity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Murray's. Agassi's popularity in the U.S > Murray's in Britian.

No... it isn't. And your 2nd point is exactly what I said.

edit: Just noticed the numerous >>>>>. I disagree. Agassi's popularity in the U.S >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murray's in Britian.

frinton
07-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Fed's hugely liked by the Wimbledon fans, also a lot of the fans there stand behind Murray, they want him to win it for them! My bet is, itis going to be equal. Nothing like the Fed-Djok match, where it was very clear for Fed!

papertank
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Out of curiosity what was the other final? I can't think of one.

MasturB
07-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Also you have to remember at the time Fed played Agassi at USO in 2005, he was only a 5-time slam winner. He was still relatively unknown to casual tennis/sports fans.

Fast forward 7 years later, Fed is playing Murray as a 16-time slam winner.

Fed is now more respected and loved around the world in the same way Michael Jordan was in his later years. Even a lot of my sports fans who don't follow tennis know his name. To many it's just a treat just to watch him to appreciate him while he's still playing and still at such a high level for his "age". So its' extremely hard to root against him especially since he's an elder statesman and still maintains a classy professional attitude when he goes about his business.

Jordan when he came back for his final two years on a crappy team (Wizards '01-'03), lots of fans were turning out just to be able to watch him play one last time. Sure he was nowhere near his prime, but he was still performing at a very high level especially considering his age.

I think Federer is basically an adopted hometown favorite at every major tennis tournament that isn't Nadal or Novak's stomping grounds. Hell even in Madrid they root for him more than anyone that isn't named Rafa, including the other spaniards like Ferrer or Almagro.

I think the crowd will be split closer than you guys think it is. I think the crowd will be 55-45 in Murray's favor, with a good portion of Murray's fans also rooting for Federer. There really is no villain in this match. If Fed plays Nadal, the crowd clearly is rooting for Federer minus the one guy in the audience that always shouts "I love you Rafa" whenever they played.

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
and even then, I think about 20% of the crowd would be cheering for him.. just like in New York

Only 2nd time? More people were rooting for Roddick instead of Federer at the US Open final in 2006. Even the 2007 final, Novak had a really good rep with the NY crowd in 2007. He was performing Sharapova impersonations after his prime-time matches on arthur ashe stadium.

Tony48
07-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Lest we forget the 2010 WTF

As if a WIMBLEDON crowd would root against Fed. Yeah right. As soon as Fed steps onto the court, they'll totally forget about Murray.

joeri888
07-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Lest we forget the 2010 WTF

As if a WIMBLEDON crowd would root against Fed. Yeah right. As soon as Fed steps onto the court, they'll totally forget about Murray.

No They won't you may have no idea what britain is like atm

Xavier G
07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Murray will be the player with most crowd support of course, but Fed will have his own share too. Andy isn't universally supported in Britain anyway, just look at Twitter when he trends.

DeShaun
07-07-2012, 01:26 AM
I think the crowd supporting Murray could actually help Roger zero in on the task. Roger does not need additional crowd support to take care of Murray if both men play their best, but I think that the side of Andy that will need to come out in order for the crowd to cheer loudly for him over Roger is the shotmaking side, none of that cat and mouse crap should inspire the crowd if Roger is trying to play fast attacking tennis but Andy tries slowing things down to coax errors instead of trading blows with Roger like two heavyweights. I think they would like Andy to win this, but they would love for him to win it "the right way" against such a great champ like Roger.

Seany
07-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Guys it will be about a 50/50 split, believe me, lots of brits don't particulary like Murray, and lots definitely prefer Fed over Murray for his style of play and general persona.

I was at the semifinals yesterday and most of the people around me said they'll be cheering Fed.

-RF-
07-07-2012, 04:20 AM
If Federer goes 2 sets to love up and is winning 3-0 or something in the 3rd then I think the whole crowd is just gonna ditch Murray and cheer for Federer haha.

jones101
07-07-2012, 04:43 AM
The French were desperate for a FO champ too, and when Fed played Monfils in the SF a few years ago (08?) he had just as much support!

*Val*
07-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Murray brings it on himself, he never tried to cultivate a media personality and he'll pay the price

The Bawss
07-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I don't think it will be that bad. Tennis isn't a sport where everyone just blindly cheers for their compatriots. I couldn't care less how well Milos Raonic does and most other Canadians are the same. I imagine it's similar in Britain.

The whole Henman Hill/Murray Mound crap just sounds like media hype.

Have you ever been to the UK?? If they can cheer for that atrocity of a human being they must be cheering for pure chauvinism.

JamieSafe
07-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Murray gets mentioned like every hour on BBC channels, whether it's a tennis program or not