PDA

View Full Version : Who is 2nd best female clay courter of last 15 years (after Henin)

NadalAgassi
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
It is a no brainer Henin is far and way the greatest female clay courter of the last 15 years. Who is 2nd best however. Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Capriati, Hingis, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, all have a possible case.

NadalAgassi
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I voted for Serena. In contention to win the French nearly every year, numerous tier 1 and tier 2 titles, overall a great record on clay, and defintiely higher peak levels on clay than anyone besides Henin of late.

NadalAgassi
07-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Venus would be my choice as 3rd best. She has the most clay court titles of any active player now that Henin is retired.

tennis_pro
07-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Last 15 years? Does that still include Graf?

NadalAgassi
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Last 15 years? Does that still include Graf?

Only the 97-99 version of Graf.

Towser83
07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
probably serena just cos she's the best player overall and no one else has demonstrated any sort of dominance on clay at all apart from henin

SystemicAnomaly
07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Only the 97-99 version of Graf.

She did not play much in 97 and the first half of 98. Graf won the FO in 96 and then again in 99. (She did not play the FO at all in 98 ). Her overall claycourt record for 99 was 9-1 (and retired at #3 of Aug of that year).

We should also consider that Steffi made the FO finals 9 times and won 6 of those in her career.

Ripster
07-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I voted for Pierce just because she has the one French Open title and the two final appearances. Still, she doesn't seem like a clay court giant, in fact, none of these players do. The French Open was really dominated by Henin for a long stretch there.

NadalAgassi
07-07-2012, 09:41 PM
She did not play much in 97 and the first half of 98. Graf won the FO in 96 and then again in 99. (She did not play the FO at all in 98 ). Her overall claycourt record for 99 was 9-1 (and retired at #3 of Aug of that year).

We should also consider that Steffi made the FO finals 9 times and won 6 of those in her career.

When I speak last 15 years I am only referring to the players performances in that span. Based upon that Steffi isnt even in the picture even with her 99 French Open title, which was only based on a Hingis meltdown in the final anyway. She did btw play on clay in 97 and kept getting destroyed multiple times by Amanda Coetzer, including at the French. She played one other clay event in 1999 and lost to Julie Halard. Her only clay titles in the last 15 years were the 1999 French Open and a small tier 4 tournament. 2nd best clay courter of the last 15 years (based only on her performances from 1997 onwards, as that is the last 15 years, not 1996 or anytime before that which makes references such as Graf's 1996 FO title meaningless) she clearly is not.

Anyway I chose that time span to include everyone from the Hingis era to today, if I were talking about Graf or Seles and their overall careers I wouldnt even be saying Henin is clearly the best, and adding in Sanchez, Sabatini, and the likes, Henin would probably be the only one left in the last 15 years even in the top 10. I am clearly not discussing Graf generation players which would belong in the Former Pro section. This is not a discussion on all time best clay courters, but instead who was the best (next best) after Henin on clay in the last 15 years alone.

Colin
07-07-2012, 09:52 PM
I voted for Sharapova, almost by default, trying to remember recent French Open champions.

I think the fact Serena got to only one French Open final despite being the dominant player of her era says something about her lack of comfort. Venus has a lot of clay titles, but never won. So I tossed them out

Li Na, Ivanovic and Kuznetsova are way too streaky, and Schiavone seemed like a fluke.

That leaves me with Maria, who was undefeated on red clay this year and won Rome and got far at the French Open last year (probably would have won had a windy day not screwed up her serving). I think she'll win another one, too.

egn
07-07-2012, 10:52 PM
This makes me realize how awful this field is on clay.

Serena only because Sharapova literally had to play against a field that was embarrassing. Stosur should have two french opens by now and sits at zero for the weakest mental game ever.

NadalAgassi
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
This makes me realize how awful this field is on clay.

This is true. Henin is a top 3 clay courter all time, but there might be nobody else of the last 15 years who even makes the top 20.

I still think Serena and Venus are way underrated on clay though, especialy amongst this era. As I said for me they are 2nd and 3rd best behind Henin.

boredone3456
07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Kuznetsova
Clijsters- she was a natural on dirt even if she hated it..the 2001 gag still hurts.
Serena- hardcore fighter but never looked comfortable on dirt.
Ivanovic
Schiavone

Everybody else

And.Venus in the poll? The only reason she got to a french final was a wide open joke of a draw that apart from Seles had nobody in it. Schiavone deserves to be in the poll more than Venus, maybe even Safina.

NadalAgassi
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Kuznetsova
Clijsters- she was a natural on dirt even if she hated it..the 2001 gag still hurts.
Serena- hardcore fighter but never looked comfortable on dirt.
Ivanovic
Schiavone

Everybody else

And.Venus in the poll? The only reason she got to a french final was a wide open joke of a draw that apart from Seles had nobody in it. Schiavone deserves to be in the poll more than Venus, maybe even Safina.

Clay court ability and performance is not JUST measured by the French Open. Otherwise Jan Kodes would be a better clay courter than Tomas Muster. Venus has the most clay court titles of any active player now that Henin has retired. In her career she has won Rome, Charleston, Hamburg, and other prestigious clay events. She has career wins over every top clay courter, including Henin.

kishnabe
07-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Sharapova good for her last two years......but Serena dissapointed last many years.

I give Sharapova based on results and future results.

I know totalled Serena has done better and at her best a better clay courter than all of those players on that poll. Then again no one is better than peak Serena.