PDA

View Full Version : Is Federer the best player in the world?

joeri888
07-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Right now If he wins Wimbledon? I take it as given that he would deserve the ranking; but would you also consider him the best again?

Agassifan
07-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Yes.. at the present moment...

IF

WhiskeyEE
07-06-2012, 11:39 PM
He'd be the best on fast courts. And good enough on slow courts to be the best overall.

DM07
07-06-2012, 11:44 PM
He'd have Wimbledon, the World Tour Finals and three Masters, and he's been very consistent. So, yeah - he would be.

Xavier G
07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Federer's had a good year. If he wins, it's five titles for the season and with the rolling calender year, I'll go with it.

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-07-2012, 12:10 AM
No, Djokovic is. He is ranked #1. :?

joeri888
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM

I clearly stated IF he wins Wimbledon. He d deserve the rank but is his level the best, i Am not sure

ringingpeace
07-07-2012, 12:45 AM
At the moment or of all time? At the moment he is the best because he beat the world number 1 yesterday, that makes him better than him. And if he wins Wimbledon tomorrow he will become the greatest of all time definitely, if he is not yet the GOAT

batz
07-07-2012, 12:46 AM
IMO yes he would be. Interesting debate though. Noel would still be holder of 2 slam titles and a lot of Roger's points are post USO so some might argue for the Serb, but I think Roger would deserve it.

joeri888
07-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I think Federer's achievements of this year would be above Rafa and Nole, but I'm not sure his level of play his. Wouldn't necessarily favour his chances at the Olympics and USO, although a lot more than if he loses this.

batz
07-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I think Federer's achievements of this year would be above Rafa and Nole, but I'm not sure his level of play his. Wouldn't necessarily favour his chances at the Olympics and USO, although a lot more than if he loses this.

What do you think about tomorrow Joeri? I pretty much agree with the bookies - Roger odds on favourite but Murray has a chance.

illkhiboy
07-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Nadal and Djokovic have been better at Slams and Federer collected a llot of points during the fall indoor season when those two were half-sleeping. But he has beaten all of the other top ten players in the last one year - not sure if anyone else has done that.

Definitely the best player this tournament and deserves the ranking for his consistency but I wouldn't consider him the best in the world at the time.

Sentinel
07-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Hey, ***, bro. You've changed your ava from 4 to 3.

4 was for how many different slams Noel has beaten Roger in, right. Which failed, lol ....

What's the THREE for ?

joeri888
07-07-2012, 01:15 AM
What do you think about tomorrow Joeri? I pretty much agree with the bookies - Roger odds on favourite but Murray has a chance.

Not much to choose. I'm not sure. My heart said Roger would beat Djoko but I didnt believe it. My gut now says Murray will do it, but I don't really believe it is the most likely. Not easy to make an estimation since I dont really know if Fed's awesome serving was just unreturnable or that Djokovic returning was subpar. If the latter is the case, Murray will have a field day, because he serves great as well but returns a lot better and moves a lot faster. Shame for me as a Fedfan that this is not 2006 and not even 2009. Roger's clearly lost a step which he has to make up for with brilliant first strike tennis. Experience in his favour of course so it's really a fifty fifty for me.

DragonBlaze
07-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Hey, ***, bro. You've changed your ava from 4 to 3.

4 was for how many different slams Noel has beaten Roger in, right. Which failed, lol ....

What's the THREE for ?

Rafa's ranking.

batz
07-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Rafa's ranking.

ROFPMSL:) Sharp as a tack!

MichaelNadal
07-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Nadal and Djokovic have been better at Slams and Federer collected a llot of points during the fall indoor season when those two were half-sleeping. But he has beaten all of the other top ten players in the last one year - not sure if anyone else has done that.

Definitely the best player this tournament and deserves the ranking for his consistency but I wouldn't consider him the best in the world at the time.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. He'd basically be #1 bc of the buttload of points at the end of last year and the WTF. I wouldn't say he's a better player than Nadal and Djokovic at this point in his career. Not trying to take anything away from him at all though. His consistency is completely ridiculous, which is why I consider him the GOAT.

CourtlyLove
07-07-2012, 03:18 AM
This is pretty much how I feel about it. He'd basically be #1 bc of the buttload of points at the end of last year and the WTF. I wouldn't say he's a better player than Nadal and Djokovic at this point in his career. Not trying to take anything away from him at all though. His consistency is completely ridiculous, which is why I consider him the GOAT.

Again, assuming he wins Sunday...

#1 ranking
5 titles total (compared to Nadal's four and Nole's two)
Two Masters total (compared to Nadal's two and Nole's one)
1 Major (compared to one a piece for the other two)

Add in the fact that his titles have been won on all three surfaces...he's only made the one major final, but he's done semis at a bunch of places...

1-1 on the year to Nadal, and 1-2 to Djokovic.

I think that's all enough to suggest that he'd be tops. The only thing that might put people off is that Wimbledon is his only Major final so far, but it's not like he crashed out in the first week of the other two...

Raging Buddha
07-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Rafa's ranking.
Brilliant. :)

Most likely, 4 was for the total the number of games that Federer won in 2008 FO final, while three was the number of games won for the second set (ie. Fed's best set and hereby implying that that was his best effort possible). Seems like the most likely scenario considering his rampant *******ism and his username.

Or if 4 was for the number of slams that Djoker beat Fed in, then I have no clue. :confused:

Magnus
07-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Federer was always the best player in the world tennis-wise. Nobody ever came close. Not Nadal, not Nole, not Murray, not anyone. He is leagues above the rest in pretty scary ways. Problem is, he was never the best match-player or mental player to along with his tennis, thus his tennis looked really bad at times.

That said, I knew he was going to beat Novak in 4. I took into account he'll have one "off" set/game that he normally has, and lose it, but win the rest, which he did exactly. Everything in his game was better than Nole yesterday, and we are talking about an old man way past his prime compared to a 25 old peak world #1.

hedera
07-07-2012, 05:18 AM
If Roger wins Wimbledon, then, yes, he is the best player in the world. And it will fire him up for the rest of the season where he can do many more great things.

Federer was always the best player in the world tennis-wise. Nobody ever came close. Not Nadal, not Nole, not Murray, not anyone. He is leagues above the rest in pretty scary ways. Problem is, he was never the best match-player or mental player to along with his tennis, thus his tennis looked really bad at times.

That said, I knew he was going to beat Novak in 4. I took into account he'll have one "off" set/game that he normally has, and lose it, but win the rest, which he did exactly. Everything in his game was better than Nole yesterday, and we are talking about an old man way past his prime compared to a 25 old peak world #1.

Great post!