PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Tour 90 - Handle question

danieljss
02-25-2004, 01:24 AM
Hello

I've just taken delivery of the tour 90 and was surprised to see an extra long handle. Does anyone know why this racquet has such a long handle? It feels a little odd, maybe i just need to get used to it.

thanks

Dan.

Tim Tiger Henman
02-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Bad design? I only say-so because Federer's racquet *doesn't* have a long handle. Go figure.

danieljss
02-25-2004, 01:58 AM
just seems a strange thing for wilson to do, must be a good reason for it, why make the racquet different to federers'?

python
02-25-2004, 04:29 AM
Because the two-handed backhand is more popular these days.

danieljss
02-25-2004, 05:37 AM
i don't think that would be the reason, plenty of other racquets have shorter handles and are used by pros with two handed backhands + the pro staff is seen as a classical "players racquet" so more aimed for a classical style, i.e a one handed backhand.

@wright
02-25-2004, 06:57 AM
There have been some racquets with really short handles, such as the Fischer VT pro, and it was hard for twohanders to use them.

python
02-25-2004, 07:05 AM
i don't think that would be the reason, plenty of other racquets have shorter handles and are used by pros with two handed backhands + the pro staff is seen as a classical "players racquet" so more aimed for a classical style, i.e a one handed backhand.

I seriously doubt those same pros use a stock frame with a too short handle. It makes no sense.

Fact: people are bigger today even when compared to the 1970's. It's not a stretch to think that average hand sizes would have increased as well, prompting a change to a longer handle in conjunction with the arrival of the two-handed backhand as the dominant style.

AAAA
02-25-2004, 10:44 AM
On the old board a pro racquet stringer said Federer was using a stock Tour 90 but the majority said he wasn't. Going with the majority since they're always right - you don't have a racquet from Federer's mold.

Anonymous
02-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Something tells me that was not your grad in history. I say it's true that the molds are different, but other than the fact that the neck on Fed's is a few mm more narrow (more feel like on the 6.0 85), they are the same. What would make them more different?