PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with calf cramps?

pagepa
05-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Any ideas on dealing with calf cramps? I seem to have trouble with them no matter how much water or gatorade I drink before a match.

Xuan121
05-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Eat some bananas the day of the match.

sinoslav
05-07-2004, 11:26 AM
How flexible are your calves? You might want to start stretching them. Also, strengthening them will help protect against cramps (although you want to strengthen your shin muscles at the same time too).

waterpro
05-10-2004, 07:36 AM
If I remember right the best thing for cramps is potasium. Bananas, as stated above, are packed with potassium. The problem though is that if you eat it when you first start feeling cramps it may be too late as it take the body a while to break it down. I would eat a banana about 1 hour before you start play.

What I do is eat a banana about 1 hour before play and then I bring a 32oz Gatorade to the match. I take a swig on each changover. Gatorade is packed with potasium and electrolytes. I used to get cramps during matches, but ever since I started drinking Gatorade and eating my banana I haven't had any problems.

i.Radical
05-10-2004, 05:05 PM
Does potassium help with stomach cramps as well?

GP
05-15-2004, 11:17 PM
There were a lot of posts about how to deal with cramps in the old message board.

Calcium works the best for me and my kids. I always have a bottle of Rolaids (calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide) ready. Four to five Rolaids, and the cramp usually go away.

Others have suggested pickle juice. I have tried that also, and it does work, but tastes nasty. I'm not sure if any kind of pickle juice works. Most pickle juice contain calcium chloride, which may be the active ingredient. Look to see if the pickle juice contains calcium chloride first.

I say that because in the past, I tried sodium salt tblets and potassium salts without any relief of muscle cramps, so I don't think it's the sodium and postassium salts in pickle juice that work on the cramps, at least not for me.

joebedford
05-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I vote for strengthening. I used to be constantly plagued by these, but since hitting the gym more, and ramping up my playing schedule as well...well, I can't remember the last time they were a problem. :D

Tim Tennis
05-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Hello GP --- Rolaids, calcium, now that is interesting. You said you take 4 or 5 and the cramp goes away. If you take 4 or 5 before you play, will that help prevent getting cramps in the first place. I have tried bannans but they seem to act like a tranquilizer on me and I don't seem to compete as well.

You got to love the game.

waterpro
05-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Hello GP --- Rolaids, calcium, now that is interesting. You said you take 4 or 5 and the cramp goes away. If you take 4 or 5 before you play, will that help prevent getting cramps in the first place. I have tried bannans but they seem to act like a tranquilizer on me and I don't seem to compete as well.

You got to love the game.

The bad thing about bannanas is that they contain trytophen(however you spell it) which is a sleeping aid. Definately don't take alot. What I do is eat one and drink a cup of coffee before the game. The potassium helps with cramps, and the coffee keeps me awake.