PDA

View Full Version : Sampras's Grip

danieljss
02-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Am i right in saying the sampras had an Eastern grip? Does anyone in today's game use this grip or anything close to it?

thanks

Dan.

Grimjack
02-25-2004, 04:47 AM
Am i right in saying the sampras had an Eastern grip?

Yes.

http://www.tennisforall.org/Grip_sampras.jpg

Does anyone in today's game use this grip or anything close to it?

This, I don't know. Agassi uses a very mild southwestern, so he's not FAR from the eastern, and gets a lot of palm behind his FH, but I don't know if anybody's using a true eastern these days. More informed sorts will probably be here shortly. ;)

Ash Doyle
02-25-2004, 04:59 AM
What about Henman and Rusedski?

danieljss
02-25-2004, 05:32 AM
Henman i'm not sure about but I think Rusedski has a western or something close.

Rabbit
02-25-2004, 05:43 AM
I thought Agassi lived in the southwest but used an eastern grip.

Whatever happened to the good old Continental? It's still the grip of choice for many old farts.

@wright
02-25-2004, 06:20 AM
I love playing against people with contintental grips. You can just blast the ball at them and they'll either just pop it up or it'll be long, since they have so much trouble spinning the ball. They can't hit high balls either.

SliceServe
02-25-2004, 08:38 AM
The Continental grip rules for serve and volley - - - case closed. It takes alot of timing and experience but it is possible to generate topspin with the grip as well. As far as high balls, you gotta' catch'em on the rise.

Anonymous
02-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Has anybody heard of a modified-Eastern grip? I kept hearing it in a book or something, and now I forget what kind of grip exactly it is. I think it means that the grip is not a true Eastern, but a little toward semi-Western, for example.

@wright
02-25-2004, 10:02 AM
I think you're right, Prestige, it's somewhere between sw and eastern. Slice serve, the funny thing about hitting on the rise with continental is that hitting on the rise is a more modern strategy, whereas the continental grip is traditional.

Rocky Top
02-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Alan, you are right for many continental grip players, but there are exceptions. There was a guy who played #1 for Marquette in the mid 90s named Jorge Gonzalez who hit huge, heavy toppsin off both sides with a continental grip. It was actually sort of a wierd, c0cked-up FH, but it was definitely a continental. He didn't have much of a pro career, but I think that had more to do w/ movement than his strokes (which were plenty big for me)...

@wright
02-25-2004, 02:11 PM
I was strictly talking recreational continental grip players, which I probably shouldn't have since this is the pro player section-my bad.

Rocky Top
02-25-2004, 05:51 PM
No problem - although because you brought up the subject I had to briefly relive the beat down I took at that moose's hands...

jun
02-25-2004, 07:19 PM
I think sampras was pretty close to eastern.
I think Agassi uses mild sw most of times. But he can modify his grip to flatten out or to put more spin.

I grip somewhere between eastern and sw. Some people though I had sw....

Nosoupforyou
02-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Sampras was eastern, and so is henman, but its a dying grip

boris becker 1
02-26-2004, 05:46 AM
Henman is more towards a Semi Western

danieljss
02-26-2004, 07:04 AM
apperently the eastern grip is good for fast courts with a low bounce. Probably helps explain why sampras won wimbledon 8 times.

Cigo
02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
http://www.tennispics.co.uk/sanguinetti/index.htm

Looks like an easterner to me, but I don't know much about that grip. I recall seeing Sanguinetti play on grass and he played defensive baseline tennis.

Nadalfan89
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Sampras used an eastern grip.

Limpinhitter
07-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Sampras used an eastern grip.

It depends on how you define an Eastern grip. It was considered Eastern at the time, but, that was before the current definitions started being used. By current standards, I'd say Sampras' grip is between Eastern and Continental. Most say Federer uses an Eastern grip and Sampras' grip is certainly closer to Continental than Federer's.

BeHappy
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
It depends on how you define an Eastern grip. It was considered Eastern at the time, but, that was before the current definitions started being used. By current standards, I'd say Sampras' grip is between Eastern and Continental. Most say Federer uses an Eastern grip and Sampras' grip is certainly closer to Continental than Federer's.

Continental? You think you could serve properly with that grip? Are you out of your mind?

Doubles
07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Continental? You think you could serve properly with that grip? Are you out of your mind?

Are you saying you don't serve with a continental grip?

jukka1970
07-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Am i right in saying the sampras had an Eastern grip? Does anyone in today's game use this grip or anything close to it?

thanks

Dan.

This post should be in the past pro section

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Has anybody heard of a modified-Eastern grip? I kept hearing it in a book or something, and now I forget what kind of grip exactly it is. I think it means that the grip is not a true Eastern, but a little toward semi-Western, for example.

That's a description for my grip. It isn't a true eastern, but in between an eastern and a semi-western. Although I'm closer to the eastern than the semi-western.

I think I grew up learning an eastern, but over time, my hand deviated from a true eastern because I wanted more spin.

Never knew it's called a "modified" eastern grip, I just call it a hybrid. I can hit flat and a tons of topspin without changing grips during a rally.

But I have all the negatives of an eastern grip, high balls are sort of a nightmare for me. :(

BeHappy
07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Are you saying you don't serve with a continental grip?

I'm saying if he thinks Sampras's Eastern forehand grip is a continental I'd like to see him try to serve with an Eastern grip like Sampras's which he thinks is continental.

drakulie
07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Sampras used an eastern for his fh. Fed also uses an eastern, although he at times abbreviates it to a 3/4 making it a modified eastern.

BevelDevil
07-05-2012, 12:11 AM
I remember Pete saying he modified his grip depending on the surface.

Most of the time, I think he used a grip in-between Eastern and Continental.

http://www.optimumtennis.net/tennis-articles/pete_sampras.jpg

I also remember him saying he changes his grip even more towards continental on his running forehand.

However, on clay it seems he used an Eastern.

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/1589/takeback0ju.jpg

Keep in mind that Pete really stuck his elbow out on his backswing, which closes the racket face

Rock Strongo
07-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Why this necro-bump?