PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Tension Calibrator

PHSTennis
05-05-2004, 06:22 PM
What is this... Is it one time use? Should I get it? When should I use it? Also Since not many people replyed to my question on that Gamma 5003, I think I've made my choice and going to get it, I'll see what Mark Gonzales says about the Alpha stringer, what else should a starter get, and how will I learn how to string... only one I know is my pros friend who charges to string... dont think he would be happy to teach me :lol:

David Pavlich
05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
The Gamma calibrator works well for me and it's not a one use item. I haven't used one (Gaines has), but an electronic fish scale will do well. Get one that reads at least 50 lbs, though.

The 5003 will work well as will the Alpha machine. Both are quality items backed by good companies. I've met Mark at Alpha and I can tell you that he's a good guy and won't give you anything but good information.

As far as learning how to string, go to the USRSA site. See if there's a MRT in your area that will give you lessons. It's not a bad idea and will more than likely keep you from picking up bad habits.

Or...you can go to the Silent Partner web site. There's some videos there that can give you some pretty good pointers.

David

Match-Point
05-06-2004, 05:34 AM
I would get the USRSA interactive CD which will teach you to how to string properly as well as instruct you on gripping, grommets, stenciling, strings, etc. Its well worth the $39 I paid.

Gaines Hillix
05-06-2004, 11:48 AM
What David said....also, the Gamma calibrator uses a spring, which can loose some tension itself over time, so it is a good idea to check it every few months with a known weight. I use 50 lbs. of Olympic bar-bell weights to check mine. I also have a Rapala digital fish weighing scale, which is accurate to within a 1/2 lb. of my Wise tension head.