PDA

View Full Version : Multi that holds tension well

Chuck
02-25-2004, 04:25 AM
From what I've read over the past about multi's is that they don't hold tension well. I like the soft arm friendly characteristics of multi's so I'm looking for one that does hold tension. I'm not a string breaker so durability isn't a particular concern. How about Live Wire or the Gosen multi's? Any experience with this out there?

Grimjack
02-25-2004, 04:55 AM
For my dollar, they could have stopped developing new multis once Laserfiber Supreme rolled off the line. It had been done to perfection.

Holds tension like a dream, offers the perfect mix (for me) of softness and crispness, and is fairly durable to boot. For multi-only string jobs, it's all I use now.

I string a PT 280 with it @ 60 lbs, and get about double the life I get from NXT, without a noticable drop in performance before breakage.

bruce nissenbaum
02-25-2004, 06:59 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with Grimjack. Supreme offers a great combination of comfort, livliness and control and retains tension and playability for an extended period of time. I usually choose to restring for freshness before the string loses its playability. It is, therefore, also economically efficient. IMHO, none of the Gosen multis match. For reference, I string a PSC 6.1 Classic w/Supreme 17 @ 60-62# and I am not a string breaker.

Match-Point
02-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Agree with previous poster on the Gosen strings. LF Supreme has very good tension maintenance but it is not as soft as Xcell or NRG2. Word still out on the new Bi-Phase X string.

Jerry Seinfeld
02-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Agree with previous posters. The LaserSupreme is a great string. The knock on it had always been from those who like softer multis as it is a crisper playing multi than some of the softer strings. Laserfibre again came out with an almost perfect response. Their new Phenom string is not a true multi. It features a thermoembedding process that is more gut-like in performance. The result is a very soft playing string with excellence tension maintenance and suprising durability. It is the answer to those seeking soft play with tension maintenance and durability. Give it a try.

Rabbit
02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
I agree that Laserfibre is probably the best multi for holding tension. Supreme is a fine string as well, but out of that line, I actually prefer the LaserTour. It plays a bit firmer to me.

NoBadMojo
02-25-2004, 09:12 AM
I like the Laserfibre Supreme but only from a tension holding point of view. I think there are better playing strings for less money, but perceptions are all different. I keep a bat strung w. this stuff for days when it is too damp to use my normal gut or gut hybrid because it does hold tension so well and i dont have to restring a frame that i rarely use. I think Laserfibre discontinued a better string..I think it was called LaserTourXL or something like that..Ed