PDA

View Full Version : USO W Final : Another major fail, No time for players speech

tennisaddict
09-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Last time it was Delpo who was not given the time for his victory speech at USO'09 because it was getting late for a re-run of 'How I met your mother' ?

This time both Azarenka and Serena were not given time. Serena tried to repeatedly request Marie Carillo to let her speak , but Marie Carillo ignored it completely.

Shame.. Any one coming to defend this and still saying USO is second best or best major lacks common sense.

USO organizers bowing to the demands of CBS Corp.Shameful act.

R_Federer
09-09-2012, 05:25 PM
lol did they have to get to 60 Minutes?

tennisaddict
09-09-2012, 05:28 PM
lol did they have to get to 60 Minutes?

Yes, was about time for 60 minutes.

Mustard
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Again? I'm amazed that they haven't learned the lesson from how they treated del Potro in 2009.

tennisaddict
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Serena was literally begging for the mike. All she said was 'I was preparing for my runner up speech. She was playing so well. I cant believe it'.

The JP Morgan lady gave the award immediately, then she was asked to pose for the photographs and that was it.. She kept going back to Marie Carillo and finally gave up when she realized they were going to be off the television.he

A player getting to 15 slams deserves more respect.

mellowyellow
09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Think they realize that keeping this guys mouth shut is the best PR for WTA

hcb0804
09-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't want to hear anything she has to say anyway.
Good job CBS!!

Vlad_C
09-09-2012, 06:43 PM
The last 3 days have been a complete disaster for the US Open anyway, not letting Serena speak just puts the cherry on the cake at this year's fiasco.
At this point I almost hope it will rain on Monday all day.

yemenmocha
09-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Glad we didn't hear him speak.

Loved the look & smile from that line judge who called foot fault

forzamilan90
09-09-2012, 07:16 PM
The last 3 days have been a complete disaster for the US Open anyway, not letting Serena speak just puts the cherry on the cake at this year's fiasco.
At this point I almost hope it will rain on Monday all day.

let's hope it doesn't rain, but yeah it's been a disaster again...couple years in a row now this has happened

Defcon
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
As expected from the USO - the worst run slam by a good margin.

Mustard
09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
As Lenin once said, if you make a mistake, admit it and try to correct it for the future, otherwise you will stumble from one mistake to the next.

How apt those words are in regards to the US Open organisers who have made so many gaffes in the last 5 years, and repeat some of them, such as cutting off a winner's speech to go to "60 minutes".

R_Federer
09-09-2012, 07:42 PM
As Lenin once said, if you make a mistake, admit it and try to correct it for the future, otherwise you will stumble from one mistake to the next.

How apt those words are in regards to the US Open organisers who have made so many gaffes in the last 5 years, and repeat some of them, such as cutting off a winner's speech to go to "60 minutes".

If they don't care about broadcasting the tournament that much why even do it? I wish a station such as PBS had rights to some of the slams. Wouldn't be any commercials and probably just much better standards all around.

Mustard
09-09-2012, 07:49 PM
If they don't care about broadcasting the tournament that much why even do it? I wish a station such as PBS had rights to some of the slams. Wouldn't be any commercials and probably just much better standards all around.

There's plenty of commercials on CBS during tennis coverages. Cutting off a winner's speech is a complete lack of courtesy, and it's not right. It would never happen at the other majors that a winner's speech is cut off so abruptly.

skip1969
09-09-2012, 07:56 PM
they pester us for two weeks with pointless on court interviews after a player wins a first-round match 0 and 1. and when the time comes to hear from the actual winner and runner-up of the event . . . there's no time. priceless.

nothing to do with serena (cos if they don't got time for her, the only american of note these days, then they ain't gonna give the mike to anyone). but really, it's in poor taste. especially after shoving the mike in every players' face after every round.

chico212
09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Do Americans appreciate their athletes? Bad tv coverage then to read drivel on forums bad talking your own player after winning a title. Geeze.

cc0509
09-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Lenin? :roll:

Yep, that is just the guy I want to be taking advice from (sarcasm.)

CBS gives them a certain time slot and that is it. Too bad if we don't hear the speeches. It is about money, that is the way it goes in the real world.

Warmaster
09-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Lenin? :roll:

Yep, that is just the guy I want to be taking advice from (sarcasm.)

CBS gives them a certain time slot and that is it. Too bad if we don't hear the speeches. It is about money, that is the way it goes in the real world.

Yet somehow the other majors never screw up this badly.

nereis
09-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Yet somehow the other majors never screw up this badly.

I don't know how the domestic media does things in GB and France, but here in Australia the tennis is the premier event when it rolls around. It's just about all anyone can talk about when sports comes up at work in January and February.

Maybe Americans just don't appreciate tennis the same way.

The Bawss
09-10-2012, 05:48 AM
'Merica!

10USOisshit

Mustard
09-10-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't know how the domestic media does things in GB and France, but here in Australia the tennis is the premier event when it rolls around. It's just about all anyone can talk about when sports comes up at work in January and February.

It's similar in Europe, along with the football if there's a World Cup or Euros going on (even numbered years).