PDA

View Full Version : The Women seem uneasy. If the Men boycott around the Pay issue, organizers will face

DeShaun
09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
a tough choice, cut their own pay and decrease their own slice of the pie, or cut the women's pay to appease the men on utilitarian value-added grounds, eschewing engineered artificial equality.

If the men compel organizers to fork over more revenue and share it with the guys by striking in solidarity united as men, what other choice can the organizers make?

I think we're going to see the men move to always three sets only as long as the women are making the same pay yet more of it by being objectively better aided in playing both doubles and singles which the men cannot do without running their bodies down.

In the example below, A has more than doubled B's earnings in this year.
A. http://legacy.tennis.com/players/player_stats.aspx?player_name=Sara+Errani
B. http://legacy.tennis.com/players/player_stats.aspx?player_name=Philipp+Kohlschreibe r
Anyone objective who has watched B play knows this discrepancy is patently unjust.

Before anyone says, "Well maybe B is just not good enough to hack in doubles," I will preempt with saying "maybe so--but next to the women, the men are treated like slaves in terms of the physical demands placed on them by having to deal with five sets."

sureshs
09-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Kohlschreiber can have a sex change and compete with the women if he wants to.

tenniscasey
09-10-2012, 06:43 AM
ATP has stated it won't back a boycott, and a few ATP stars have said a boycott is unlikely.

DRII
09-10-2012, 06:53 AM
the proposed boycott has nothing to do with men's vs women's pay...

Evan77
09-10-2012, 06:59 AM
boycott, shmocott... it's never gonna happen. I, personally couldn't care less how much money they get paid. I didn't even bother watching the women final this year as I would rather listen to some good music then listen to Azarenka screaming.

As far as I'm concerned they can get rid of the whole WTA tour and that would be fine with me. boring, non inspiring. Serena can get away with anything , Russians are all boring screamers ...

look at the stands, even at slams, when women are playing. EMPTY. nobody cares.

Matt H.
09-10-2012, 07:05 AM
i gotta be honest, there's a reason why the WTA wants more combined events with the men....because the women are an added bonus, not a stand alone attaction.

Bartelby
09-10-2012, 07:07 AM
There's no boycott and there is more than enough room to increase prize monies for both competitions.

Its the men doing the pushing, that's all.

Bartelby
09-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Tournaments want women because they add considerably to the sporting package they can offer sponsors, even if the matches aren't as well supported at the gate.

Govnor
09-10-2012, 07:14 AM
mixed events are easily the best deal for everyone involved. I don't personally think the Men can win the "pay us more than the women" debate, but they can most certainly win the "well then we're playing best of 3" debate. Which will suck for the fans, but there it is.

I wonder how that would impact revenues too. Can't do anything but bring them down, right?

Tcbtennis
09-10-2012, 07:35 AM
a tough choice, cut their own pay and decrease their own slice of the pie, or cut the women's pay to appease the men on utilitarian value-added grounds, eschewing engineered artificial equality.

If the men compel organizers to fork over more revenue and share it with the guys by striking in solidarity united as men, what other choice can the organizers make?

I think we're going to see the men move to always three sets only as long as the women are making the same pay yet more of it by being objectively better aided in playing both doubles and singles which the men cannot do without running their bodies down.

In the example below, A has more than doubled B's earnings in this year.
A. http://legacy.tennis.com/players/player_stats.aspx?player_name=Sara+Errani
B. http://legacy.tennis.com/players/player_stats.aspx?player_name=Philipp+Kohlschreibe r
Anyone objective who has watched B play knows this discrepancy is patently unjust.

Before anyone says, "Well maybe B is just not good enough to hack in doubles," I will preempt with saying "maybe so--but next to the women, the men are treated like slaves in terms of the physical demands placed on them by having to deal with five sets."

This isn't even an issue. The women's prize money won't be touched. The extra money would come out of the enormous profits that the AO makes.

West Coast Ace
09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
The chances of getting all the ATP players to unite, even if the Oil Money Open in Dubai had been put together, were always nil. Quite a few of the top 50 would have gone to Melbourne for the shot at a major. They wouldn't care how many fans would put an asterisk beside it - their name would still be on the trophy.

The players need to work with the ATP to grow the sport - bigger pie, more to go around.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
or cut the women's pay to appease the men on utilitarian value-added grounds

Not gonna happen.

tennisMVP
09-10-2012, 03:55 PM
At least the Australian Open will still have Nadal (as he resigned from the ATP Player Council).

Flat Top
09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Pay them according to the income they generate.

Soianka
09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
the proposed boycott has nothing to do with men's vs women's pay...

This is my understanding