PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a players racket

tdickerson
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I caught one of Andy roddicks racquets that he tossed in the crowd at a tournament in 2010. It has a little crack in it by the bottom. Should I try to play with it even though it's cracked? It is so heavy. It's just getting dusty in my room.

Born to play
09-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Very cool, may I see pics of crack

novak.20v
09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd sell it.

movdqa
09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
They run $600-$800 used and undamaged - not sure of the value if they are damaged.

RF20Lennon
09-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Frame it!!!!!

jorel
09-10-2012, 11:08 AM
pics please

or maybe it didnt happen?

tdickerson
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Yea, if you say it didn't happen, well then it must be true.

Or I just can't post pics cause I'm new. Maybe that's it.

jorel
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Yea, if you say it didn't happen, well then it must be true.

Or I just can't post pics cause I'm new. Maybe that's it.
maybe that IS it

West Coast Ace
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Frame it!!!!!I'll 2nd this.

Or learn how to forge Rodman's sig and sell it.

tdickerson
09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I wanted to eventually have him autograph it but that probably won't happen now. Maybe I should stick it up for sale. Any idea what it's worth? My coach says it can be restrung.

okdude1992
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I wanted to eventually have him autograph it but that probably won't happen now. Maybe I should stick it up for sale. Any idea what it's worth? My coach says it can be restrung.

leave the original string in and sell it man. probably worth more since roddick just retired

db10s
09-10-2012, 05:23 PM
How much you askin????

movdqa
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
You'd probably be better off looking through the strings forums for past sales of Roddick's racquets - that's probably the place to sell it too. This is not the place to sell or talk about private sales; especially of pro stocks.

sruckauf
09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I caught one of Andy roddicks racquets that he tossed in the crowd at a tournament in 2010. It has a little crack in it by the bottom. Should I try to play with it even though it's cracked? It is so heavy. It's just getting dusty in my room.

What a weird question. Basic flowchart. Are you a player, or more of a spectator?

If you're a player, go this route. Where is the crack exactly, and what is the extent of it? If the crack is mainly cosmetic, then the answer is simple, at least to me. If you're a player of the game and have some curiosity of what a player at the top of the game with a modern swing style wields, then get and out hit with it man. I'm not saying switch to it, but jeez hit balls with it, gain some insight into other equipment options, and say you've smacked balls around with his actual stick.

If you're more of a spectator of the game and just play mainly for social interaction and some light exercise, then don't play with it and hang it on your wall and brag about how you own a piece of history.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 06:32 AM
What a weird question. Basic flowchart. Are you a player, or more of a spectator?

If you're a player, go this route. Where is the crack exactly, and what is the extent of it? If the crack is mainly cosmetic, then the answer is simple, at least to me. If you're a player of the game and have some curiosity of what a player at the top of the game with a modern swing style wields, then get and out hit with it man. I'm not saying switch to it, but jeez hit balls with it, gain some insight into other equipment options, and say you've smacked balls around with his actual stick.

If you're more of a spectator of the game and just play mainly for social interaction and some light exercise, then don't play with it and hang it on your wall and brag about how you own a piece of history.

Well I don't really appreciate your condescending nature, but I'll play along. Yes, I'm a pretty decent player (no need to boast cause its easy to do on the Internet.) and I don't see the point of taking it out to play with a risking making that crack significantly bigger. It's not like I'm gonna switch from my frames that I've played with for 5 years to this one. I would need 3-4 more even if I loved it. And it does kinda seem like a waste to take a racquet that came from a future HOF player out for a hit and risk all of its value. All I wanted to know from those HELPFUL people on these boards was whether maybe I should stick it on the wall or what it might be worth in case I was interested in selling it.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 06:34 AM
And just to clarify, I did initially think about hitting with it until some TWers emailed me begging me not to because of the damage that might be done.

And whomever sent me to another forum to have it checked out, thanks I will make sure to do that.

Adidas_Anderson
09-11-2012, 07:04 AM
i Got a Simon 2011 Prestige mp , with little crack as well.
Its dusting in my room as well :/

movdqa
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I saw two Roddick personal frames go for $500 each recently. These were 9/10 condition. The seller has a damaged frame for sale too but doesn't list a price.

I guess it really depends on the crack - whether it is structural or not.

dr325i
09-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I saw two Roddick personal frames go for $500 each recently. These were 9/10 condition. The seller has a damaged frame for sale too but doesn't list a price.

I guess it really depends on the crack - whether it is structural or not.

there is one on E Bay now for 2500...

movdqa
09-11-2012, 01:51 PM
> there is one on E Bay now for 2500

That one appears whole and the history is included. Do racquets really sell for that much? (I know that the Djokovic and Federer frames do but most outside the top 3 that I've seen have all been under $1,000)

I only buy stuff that I'd want to hit with and the PDR is way too stiff for me.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/tdickerson2/

here's a link to some pictures of the racquet.

movdqa
09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Looks like a structural crack.

Timbo's hopeless slice
09-11-2012, 03:24 PM
hmm, not sure if I agree that it's structural, it looks pretty superficial to me. How far around does it extend?

one thing caught my eye, you say your coach told you it can be restrung.

Do you mean you were unable to work that out for yourself?

just struck me as an odd thing to say, that's all.

I would be inclined to string it up and at least take it out for a hit, very hard to imagine any 'damage' could possibly be incurred if you were careful and just ground out a few FHs with it. I would be fascinated to see how it hit the ball.

Not suggesting you switch to it, that's just silly, but it would surely be an interesting exercise.

The trouble with selling it is verification, I think. Babolat do their PJs very well, even down to the location of the 'made in china' sticker, so it is really hard to tell Roddick's frame from a regular PDR just by looking at them...

movdqa
09-11-2012, 03:30 PM
If the Cortex is painted on, then that's a pretty good sign that it is authentic.

I didn't know that Roddick used 1/2 inch tape - I guess the frame is wide enough for that. Most pro stocks that I've seen use 1/4 inch tape.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Do you mean you were unable to work that out yourself?

What the heck dude? What's with all the hostility? I was just afraid to have it restrung because of the crack. My coach told me the crack wasn't big enough or deep enough to keep it from being damaged in the restring process.

And the verification is easy, there are only a handful of players that get their cortex painted on. And I don't know of another that uses a 27.5 inch roddick pure drive paint job.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
If the Cortex is painted on, then that's a pretty good sign that it is authentic.

I didn't know that Roddick used 1/2 inch tape - I guess the frame is wide enough for that. Most pro stocks that I've seen use 1/4 inch tape.

and it is only 1/4 inch tape, not 1/2.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
it also doesn't have any specs in it, so that should help identify it from a racquet off the shelf. that and the obvious fake cortex. you can't fake fake cortex.

sp1derman
09-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Nice dude, if thinking about selling it now might be a good time to get maximum value.

tdickerson
09-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking that's the way to go. Can I list it on the For Sale boards? It says personal items, which confuses me. I mean, I own it, but didn't originally. And I really just want some offers on it, I don't know what to expect, I may say $500 because the FAQ says you have to list a price. A friend of mine who strings at some big tournaments is coming over in a little bit to look at the crack. I'd like to tell people with a little certaintly that it can or cannot be restrung.

movdqa
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
You can't sell pro stocks at TW. You can sell them on the string forums.

ramos77
09-12-2012, 06:07 AM
babs should blame roddick, not the person selling it

jorel
09-12-2012, 07:01 AM
babs should blame roddick, not the person selling it
yea well...thats life

novak.20v
09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
i Got a Simon 2011 Prestige mp , with little crack as well.
Its dusting in my room as well :/
want.
post pictures.

corners
09-13-2012, 05:53 PM

If it's cracked don't play with it. It might break and therefore be worthless as a collector's item.

But, it is my personal view that any TT member and poster has a moral obligation to spec out any pro racquet for posteriority, to further racquetaholism everywhere, and to end endless speculation about pro racquet specs.

To fulfill this obligation and become universally adored and mythologized on this message board, you've to do but four things:

1. Measure the racquet weight to within one gram. You may have a postal scale handy, making this easy. Otherwise, you'll want to seek out the nearest Babolat RDC or Prince diagnostic machine, probably at your local pro shop.

2. Measure the racquet's balance point to within one millimeter. If you've located the diagnostic machine you can have the shop do this measurement too. Takes 10 seconds or so.

3. Most importantly, have the pro shop determine the racquet's swingweight, doing at least three tests and averaging the result. This will take about 40 seconds.

4. Have the shop test the racquet's flex. This looks scary, but is harmless. Just one measurement is fine, which will take 15 seconds.

Do all tests with the racquet strung and gripped as you found it, including dampener and overgrip. Post results here, if you please.

3fees
10-11-2012, 07:50 AM
The real question here is what do sponsored pro's do with there rackets after the match , the ones still in good working order?

SwankPeRFection
10-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Hard to tell from the pic, but that may not be a crack. I've seen a lot of stringers scratch up a stick when tieing off and cutting the excess off or even sometimes when a knot gets stuck in the grommet and they try to pull it out with pliers when the strings are cut out. It looks jagged to me a bit in the picture, so if it's all the way around, it could be a crack if it's a stick he threw at the ground head first, that would be one of the places it would crack a bit of the paint off. I have an old Donnay that has those same paint cracks at 5 and 7 and the frame is fine, no issues. Either way, since he's retired, I'd just hold on to it. Frame it up or something with an Andy trading card or some junk. There won't be many floating around and it's a nice piece of memorabillia if you're a fan of his. If not, put it up on the web and sell it for some good money.

Bdarb
10-11-2012, 04:32 PM
If it's cracked don't play with it. It might break and therefore be worthless as a collector's item.

But, it is my personal view that any TT member and poster has a moral obligation to spec out any pro racquet for posteriority, to further racquetaholism everywhere, and to end endless speculation about pro racquet specs.

To fulfill this obligation and become universally adored and mythologized on this message board, you've to do but four things:

1. Measure the racquet weight to within one gram. You may have a postal scale handy, making this easy. Otherwise, you'll want to seek out the nearest Babolat RDC or Prince diagnostic machine, probably at your local pro shop.

2. Measure the racquet's balance point to within one millimeter. If you've located the diagnostic machine you can have the shop do this measurement too. Takes 10 seconds or so.

3. Most importantly, have the pro shop determine the racquet's swingweight, doing at least three tests and averaging the result. This will take about 40 seconds.

4. Have the shop test the racquet's flex. This looks scary, but is harmless. Just one measurement is fine, which will take 15 seconds.

Do all tests with the racquet strung and gripped as you found it, including dampener and overgrip. Post results here, if you please.

I agree. However, I have never performed a flex test but assuming it is done how I would imagine, I would be hesitant to perform one on a frame with questionable structural integrity. Awesome find I'd hang on to it, five hundred bucks seems great now but in 20 years you'll be kicking yourself I bet!

Rulo
10-12-2012, 07:49 AM
and it is only 1/4 inch tape, not 1/2.

From the pics, I'm pretty sure it's 1/2.... I own a PDR+ and when I use my 1/2 inch lead tape, it looks exactly the same.....Have you measure it?

tdickerson
10-12-2012, 08:28 AM
It's a 1/4 inch, just like I said.