PDA

View Full Version : Why does it get so windy inside Arthur Ashe stadium?

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
You would think that with the very high walls that form the perimeter of the stadium structure that it would block out a lot of the wind passing by? But it seems like it's always windier inside the stadium than it is outside.

ollinger
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
That entire area adjacent to Flushing Bay is notoriously windy. Tends to be breezy outside the stadium as well.

Bowtiesarecool
09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Fill a glass with smoke, put it next to a fan, watch what happens to the smoke.

cluckcluck
09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
You would think that with the very high walls that form the perimeter of the stadium structure that it would block out a lot of the wind passing by? But it seems like it's always windier inside the stadium than it is outside.

It dips down from the stop of the stadium and rushes down to the bottom of the "bowl." It swirls around down there.

Ico
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
The USTA tried to screw with God's local tennis system.

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 01:13 PM
It dips down from the stop of the stadium and rushes down to the bottom of the "bowl." It swirls around down there.
But how and why? I mean if you open the sunroof of your car but keep the side windows closed, you might feel the wind on the top of your head but the wind doesn't dip down and swirl inside of your car.

NikeWilson
09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
uh.. because there's no roof.

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
uh.. because there's no roof.
Yeah, but there are very high walls that are like 100 feet tall. Why doesn't that block out the wind?

There's no roof on public park courts, either, but they put up wind breakers on the fences surrounding the courts which block out the wind. And those fences are only about 9 feet tall.

West Coast Ace
09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
There's no roof on public park courts, either, but they put up wind breakers on the fences surrounding the courts which block out the wind. And those fences are only about 9 feet tall.Where do you play that those wind breakers COMPLETELY stop the wind.

Have you ever been to a big city? With all the skyscrapers, why is there still wind down at sidewalk level? By your 'logic' it should be blocked out. @cluckcluck described what's happening - large buildings have strange effects on currents.

I thought you had an ME degree?

Douggo
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM
My guess is that the air which hits the walls of the stadium and ends up making its way over the top creates a pressure difference between the air inside the stadium and the air above, which would have the effect of pulling air down into the stadium. Once there, I'm just going to have to leave it as "all hell breaks loose", because I'm not that smart.

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Where do you play that those wind breakers COMPLETELY stop the wind.

Have you ever been to a big city? With all the skyscrapers, why is there still wind down at sidewalk level? By your 'logic' it should be blocked out. @cluckcluck described what's happening - large buildings have strange effects on currents.

I thought you had an ME degree?
That's completely different. The gaps in between the tall buildings squeeze the wind so that it can pass through which accelerates the wind. Just like if you had a garden hose under water pressure, if you put your thumb over the opening and reduce the area of the opening, the water will spray out even faster. Arthur Ashe stadium is a completely different situation.

The wind breakers on the fences of public courts do help. It's certainly less windy inside the fence than outside the fence. But the players say it's windier inside Arthur Ashe stadium than it is outside.

chrischris
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Could part of the reason be that the sponsors are backed by HOT AIR as some say ??

West Coast Ace
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
That's completely different....The wind breakers on the fences of public courts do help...a) no, it's not 'completely different'; b) nice backpedal on your 'windscreens totally block the wind'.

2ManyAces
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
The walls of the stadium apparently create a weird wind "swirling" effect.

I think it makes the tennis more interesting.

cluckcluck
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
But how and why? I mean if you open the sunroof of your car but keep the side windows closed, you might feel the wind on the top of your head but the wind doesn't dip down and swirl inside of your car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8YDWt1QII

In the video you can see the wind is coming over the top of the pickup (stadium) then hitting the tailgate (other side of stadium) and rushes downward in a cyclonic gust.

So basically the wind coming from, say the south, hits the north side of Arthur Ashe and rushes down to the lowest point of the stadium (court). All this turbulent air is being swirled around.

rufus_smith
09-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Amazing stories:
Many people aren't aware that orginally Arthur Ashe Stadium was planned as a major scientific center for the study of tornados. Accordingly the structure was purposely shaped as a funnel in order to create artificial tornados whose tip would sit directly on what is now center court. It was a little known but brilliant engineering feat at the time. Nearly dead air in the above the structure could be whipped around at the topped of structure and it picked up speed as it spiraled down to the bottom of Arthur Ashe while reaching speeds of over 80 mph! Unfortunately funds ran out and the entire property had to be sold to become the tennis center that now houses the US Open.

Nostradamus
09-10-2012, 02:31 PM
they turn the fan on during summer so it won't get so hot. that is why

RogerRacket111
09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Vortex effect on a bowl :)

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 02:50 PM
a) no, it's not 'completely different'; b) nice backpedal on your 'windscreens totally block the wind'.

Yes, it is completely different. There may be a difference in air pressure between the top of the stadium and down at the court level, but the wind is not being squeezed through a small gap. Take a course on fluid mechanics first and get back to me.

When did I ever say "totally block out the wind"? :confused:

There's no roof on public park courts, either, but they put up wind breakers on the fences surrounding the courts which block out the wind. And those fences are only about 9 feet tall.

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 02:52 PM
The walls of the stadium apparently create a weird wind "swirling" effect.

I think it makes the tennis more interesting.
Yes it does, but the wind has to somehow get past the walls and into the stadium easily first.

cork_screw
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Because God wanted murray to win.