PDA

View Full Version : Has a slam ever been more deserved than this?

Danny_G13
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I really don't have time for any dismissive comments trying to belittle this victory for Murray, so if you're here to chalk this down as Djokovic not trying or injured, I'd appreciate it if you could not reply.

Anyway, the point is I don't think there's been a slam more deserved in history than this.

Murray, 4 time runner up in slams, never having won more than a set in any, not only matches the world's best HC player, but outworks, outfights, and hangs in in a way not even Nadal could this time last year.

I'm not going to say for sheer tennis ability Murray matched Djokovic for 5 sets, but he showed industry, determination, and a never say die attitude which was even failing me as he lost the 4th set.

The strongest era of men's tennis there's ever been, and Murray has beaten Federer for OG, and Djokovic twice - one for a slam.

He is a worthy winner, and he deserves his place in history.

forzamilan90
09-10-2012, 06:05 PM
he was overdue for a slam big time, this was a great effort against a great player, so yes extremely deserved!

90's Clay
09-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Bahhh.... Berdych would have been in the finals if not for the blatant tornado rig job which he was forced to play the touch shot pusher in.

DESERVED? Maybe.. If he would they would have held the match back to the next day with Berdych as they SHOULD have.

sureshs
09-10-2012, 06:08 PM
He just made good use of Nadal's absence, that is all.

drakulie
09-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Congrats to Murray. Well deserved win.

90's Clay
09-10-2012, 06:09 PM

That too.. No fed or Nadal to contend with as well

Sreeram
09-10-2012, 06:10 PM
US open is where he won as junior and lost his first final. Great to see him win here his first slam.

tennisaddict
09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
He beat a good set of players even before finals - Berdych, Cilic, Raonic, Lopez..

Espescially Cilic after a set and 1-5 down.

He was a different player the begining of the 5th set. He was telling 'It is now or never' and the aggression paid off.

Roddick like player winning a major and Andy not winning is the biggest injustice that was rectified today.

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I really don't have time for any dismissive comments trying to belittle this victory for Murray

Bahhh.... Berdych would have been in the finals if not for the blatant tornado rig job which he was forced to play the touch shot pusher in.

DESERVED? Maybe.. If he would they would have held the match back to the next day with Berdych as they SHOULD have.

LOL took 2 replies for that to happen.

He deserves, he carried a whole nation on his shoulders and he's made 4 slam finals for crying out loud! Couldn't name anyone else who deserves it more.

dudeski
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM

You just wait and see what will happen to Nadal next time he plays Murray on hard court :twisted:

dudeski
09-10-2012, 06:15 PM

You just wait and see what will happen to Nadal next time he plays Murray on hard court :twisted:

Didn't he got bageled and then didn't even bothered showing up for their next match?

syc23
09-10-2012, 06:15 PM
He deserved this 110%.

That was pure grit having the guts to respond after losing a 2 sets lead.

Murray has won his maiden slam against a multiple major winner unlike Roger/Novak/Rafa.

He could have folded like a chair but stuck to his task and hoisted the trophy to stick the fingers up to all his doubters.

pc1
09-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Congrats to Murray. Well deserved win.

Agreed. I was very happy for him. It would have been a shame for a player of his great talent to never have won a major. He's one of the most talented players I've seen. Funny how he has said the US Open was his favorite tournament and now it has to be even more favored now that he has won it.

dh003i
09-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Congratulations to Murray on winning his first Grand Slam! It is fantastic for him and must feel great. I felt we saw a mentally tougher Murray at the Wimbledon final, and he was really showing he was ready.

While I was rooting for him and am very happy to see Murray win, any winner is a deserving winner, and I don't think that prior difficulties matter. The player who wins his first Major final is just as deserving as the player who wins his 5th.

But congratulations to Murray! He could have given up and could have folded after all of those tough heartbreaking losses, but he didn't and showed that he has the heart of a champion.

clayman2000
09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
He beat a good set of players even before finals - Berdych, Cilic, Raonic, Lopez..

Espescially Cilic after a set and 1-5 down.

He was a different player the begining of the 5th set. He was telling 'It is now or never' and the aggression paid off.

Roddick like player winning a major and Andy not winning is the biggest injustice that was rectified today.

This is the example you think of??

Not Gaston Gaudio, or Thomas Johanson or Albert Costa, but Andy Roddick?

WhiskeyEE
09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
He only won because of the wind. So no.

Ashley D
09-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Goran Ivanisavic

Gemini
09-10-2012, 06:42 PM
He deserved this 110%.

That was pure grit having the guts to respond after losing a 2 sets lead.

Murray has won his maiden slam against a multiple major winner unlike Roger/Novak/Rafa.

He could have folded like a chair but stuck to his task and hoisted the trophy to stick the fingers up to all his doubters.

All do credit to Murray. I'm happy for him.

Though your statement alluding to his maiden win being something more significant than anything Roger, Novak, or Rafa has achieved is pretty dubious. They were all younger than Murray when they claimed their first major titles. And Del Potro edges him when it comes to winning a maiden title while beating a multiple slam winner (he beat both Nadal and Federer in '09).

I'm just glad Murray weathered the storm today and came out on top.

Talker
09-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Andy did deserve to win a slam, glad he did.
Good that he met Djokovic instead of Ferrer too, I didn't want anyone complaining it was too easy.
In this ERA you had Fed, Nadal and Djokovic guarding the slams, the toughest lineup in history.
You can now add Murray to that list.

Antonio Puente
09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
No slam win is more deserved than another. If you win, you deserve it. If not, you don't.

Russeljones
09-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I really don't have time for any dismissive comments trying to belittle this victory for Murray, so if you're here to chalk this down as Djokovic not trying or injured, I'd appreciate it if you could not reply.

Anyway, the point is I don't think there's been a slam more deserved in history than this.

Murray, 4 time runner up in slams, never having won more than a set in any, not only matches the world's best HC player, but outworks, outfights, and hangs in in a way not even Nadal could this time last year.

I'm not going to say for sheer tennis ability Murray matched Djokovic for 5 sets, but he showed industry, determination, and a never say die attitude which was even failing me as he lost the 4th set.

The strongest era of men's tennis there's ever been, and Murray has beaten Federer for OG, and Djokovic twice - one for a slam.

He is a worthy winner, and he deserves his place in history.

Thread title is almost troll bait but the bolded part of your statement is sensible and correct.

Tafmatch
09-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Nadal not playing doesn't make any difference. Djoko is the perfect stand-in.

valiant
09-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Congrats to Murray.

FINALLY we have 4 different people wining a slam in an year so long :)

octogon
09-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Agreed. Djoker is going down as one of the greats of the game. It's not like Murray beat some scrub to win. If you beat Fed, Nadal or Djoker to win a slam, then you've done it the hard way.

Look at the way Djoker almost came back from a 2 set defecit. That's what great players can do.

Macro80
09-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Its up there with Goran's 2001 Wimbledon triumph.

Zarfot Z
09-10-2012, 11:45 PM

No. Not even close.

Danny_G13
09-11-2012, 04:38 AM

He is also better than Nadal on HC. An injured Djokovic overcame Nadal in last year's final - no matter what Rafa threw at him. But this time Murray just would not be beaten although it was sketchy for a while!

neverstopplaying
09-11-2012, 04:46 AM
Great for Andy. Congratulations. Great for tennis. Even better that it was a 5 set victory. Can't wait for 2013

Legend of Borg
09-11-2012, 04:49 AM

Goran's was a special case.

One of his last slam participations before he retired.

It had a different atmosphere.

Paul Murphy
09-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Lendl was pretty deserving by the time he won the FO too.
I'm delighted for them both.

Torres
09-11-2012, 05:00 AM
In this ERA you had Fed, Nadal and Djokovic guarding the slams, the toughest lineup in history.

That for me is what makes it a more remarkable achievement.

PimpMyGame
09-11-2012, 05:10 AM
No slam win is more deserved than another. If you win, you deserve it. If not, you don't.

Exactly what I was going to say, glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

As a Brit I have waited a long time for Murray to win a slam but it's not fair to say that this one was more deserved of any other slam victory. Each player is responsible for creating their own chances.

a10best
09-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Murray deserved it. His runner-up speech at the AO 2012 showed that we was learning. He was very close to winning that match.
He got over the hump at the Olympics by beating Federer. Now Djokovic.

Djoker fans say it was a weak field since fed lost in QF and Nadal was out. Do you guys really think the big 4 always make it so slam finals. You don't remember the 90s or before 2006 very much. It was rare to see all 4 top ranked players make semis time in and time out.

A slam win will come against a top quality player period, IMO.

After seeing AM's 5th set loss at the AO, I seriously believed any of the big 4 could win it. Nadal lost in 5 close sets as well. None of those guys dominated the other (except Nadal on clay against RF) Even Nole's incredible past year was pushed to 5 sets or 3rd set. It is a great time to be a tennis fan. Now what if Tsonga or Del Po gets their mental toughness higher.

RF-17-GOAT
09-11-2012, 05:24 AM
I think it's a close second to Goran's.

Vcore89
09-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Ivanisevic, Korda and Murray in that order.

sureshs
09-11-2012, 06:26 AM

Nadal would have wiped the court with Murray and Djoko.

cknobman
09-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Deserved???? Wrong words.

No one in professional sports "deserves" anything because the word implies that they are owed or entitled something.

Any title you win is EARNED from a huge combination of factors.

Andy losing his first 4 finals in no way made him "deserve" this 5 title shot.

Andy earned this title and all the more respect to him for it.

Danny_G13
09-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Nadal would have wiped the court with Murray and Djoko.

So why did Nadal fail to do so on 3 previous occasions? In Djokovic's case. Why also did he even lose a set to Murray at Wimbledon at SW19 last year?

Wipe the court?

Stop talking ridiculously - it's disrespectful to both Nadal who fights like a bulldog and withstands lost sets, and to his opponents who do not just keel over.

Danny_G13
09-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Deserved???? Wrong words.

No one in professional sports "deserves" anything because the word implies that they are owed or entitled something.

Any title you win is EARNED from a huge combination of factors.

Andy losing his first 4 finals in no way made him "deserve" this 5 title shot.

Andy earned this title and all the more respect to him for it.

Deserved/earned - you're arguing semantics here. Both words are completely valid.

Alchemy-Z
09-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Lendl and Murray same story...and a good one!

RF20Lennon
09-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Your never going to let that go are you?? Berdych lost!! Blame the wind, the sky or the moon but he lost fair and square! It's called adapting and changing tactics! He should've started pushing too

jones101
09-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Andy did deserve to win a slam, glad he did.
Good that he met Djokovic instead of Ferrer too, I didn't want anyone complaining it was too easy.
You can now add Murray to that list.

Why is Murray (after 1 slam) a 'Guardian of the slams' and not Delpo too, who is in your sig?

Cfidave
09-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Murray deserved to win, no doubt. However, a lot of very fortunate things needed to happen: Raffa not playing, Fed out early, incredible wind to come up in the Berdych match, and then come back in the final. Murray's game is much better suited to less then ideal conditions, then just about any other player, so yes he deserved the win.

tank_job
09-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Murray deserved to win, no doubt. However, a lot of very fortunate things needed to happen: Raffa not playing, Fed out early, incredible wind to come up in the Berdych match, and then come back in the final. Murray's game is much better suited to less then ideal conditions, then just about any other player, so yes he deserved the win.

Why does he do well against Federer indoors then, and why does Murray historically have some of his most dominant runs on indoor hard-court (perfect conditions)? Beating down Federer in a Shanghai final? Losing only 4 points in a set to Nadal in Tokyo? (Granted, Tokyo is not indoors, but the conditions were perfect with absolutely no wind).

Why did Nadal destroy him in the windy final they played in Indian Wells?

Heck, why did Berdych take the 1st set against Murray when the wind was at it's strongest?

cknobman
09-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Why does he do well against Federer indoors then, and why does Murray historically have some of his most dominant runs on indoor hard-court (perfect conditions)? Beating down Federer in a Shanghai final? Losing only 4 points in a set to Nadal in Tokyo? (Granted, Tokyo is not indoors, but the conditions were perfect with absolutely no wind).

Why did Nadal destroy him in the windy final they played in Indian Wells?

Heck, why did Berdych take the 1st set against Murray when the wind was at it's strongest?

I think to be more accurate Murray is more mentally suited to play in the wind than Berdych or Djokovic.

Berdych won the first set against Murray before the wind got really really bad and he had time to mentally crumble.

Djokovic has proven on more than 1 occasion than he breaks down mentally in the wind, heck just look at his semi final against Ferrer. Ferrer was serving for the first set 5-2 in super high winds and Novak was completely out of it. Then by sheer stroke of luck the weather forced the match to be delayed to the next day, where as luck would have it NO WIND, and Novak face rolls Ferrer.

I believe the wind played a significant role in Murray getting his first grand slam. Murray played better than his opponents with the conditions given so he deserved it. Now remove wind from that final and I would wager the results would have been in Novaks favor.

ktid
09-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Ivanisevic has to be no. 1, then Murray, then Lendl, then Agassi