PDA

View Full Version : This years USO worst slam since?..

Telepatic
09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I can't seem to remember one good match from this years USO other then Ferrer- Tipsarevic (and that was more due to Tipsarevic's insane shot making, cuase everyone else is just pushing on this mud).

I think RG 2010 was last slam this bad.

90's Clay
09-10-2012, 06:12 PM
This slam was a mess from beginning to end. A few great matches.. But horrible scheduling AGAIN, and stupid decisions made with the tornado like conditions

mellowyellow
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Last years USO?

Sid_Vicious
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Last years USO?

Nonsense. Djokovic won last year. Ergo, in the OPs book, 2011 USO was not among the worst slams.

WhiskeyEE
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't know, but it was pretty bad. I barely watched any of it.

kishnabe
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
2012 FO....the final match was terrible.

rainingaces
09-10-2012, 06:21 PM
The great disappointment of 1897 french open.

MarcusInKensington
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM
A Serbian criticising the US Open just after the final has finished? Now THAT is a shock...

PaulFCB
09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I think the US Open is the slam I watch the most out of all 4...

Simply, starts around 18:00 -> perfect. You might need to stay up all night to see the night session, but easier than waking up at 08:00 AM for AO.
The AO always give's me the impression that it's like a "4th Grand Slam", never the same charisma like the other 3 probably because it's very early in a season but also the time zone is horrible for Europe, though they're inspired with that late final, not midday like the rest of them.

Mustard
09-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Are you kidding? Nadal finally slays the Djokovic demon :twisted:

kishnabe
09-10-2012, 06:36 PM

It was the rain part.....the official were indesicive on what to do.

Telepatic
09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
A Serbian criticising the US Open just after the final has finished? Now THAT is a shock...

What the hell does my nationality has to do with this thread? If you're talking about Novak's loss, even if he'd won I'd be happy for him but fact still stands that this USO sucked donkey balls, just one match worth mentioning, Basically no Fedal, Djokovic sucking, Murray playing standard pushing, USO being slow as mud, rain delays, wind, scheduling.. one big mess.

Lovely_Bone
09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I can't seem to remember one good match from this years USO other then Ferrer- Tipsarevic (and that was more due to Tipsarevic's insane shot making, cuase everyone else is just pushing on this mud).

I think RG 2010 was last slam this bad.

We have a Djokovic fan here ;) There were some insane matches man.

Telepatic
09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
We have a Djokovic fan here ;) There were some insane matches man.

Other then one I mentioned, which one? Tell me, I'm curious. :-|

yemenmocha
09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Horrible this year.

Hardly watch any longer, especially with how SLOW the courts are these days.

Lovely_Bone
09-10-2012, 06:40 PM
What the hell does my nationality has to do with this thread? If you're talking about Novak's loss, even if he'd won I'd be happy for him but fact still stands that this USO sucked donkey balls, just one match worth mentioning, Basically no Fedal, Djokovic sucking, Murray playing standard pushing, USO being slow as mud, rain delays, wind, scheduling.. one big mess.

And djokovic didn't suck this USO man... He dominated until the final, and people were even saying he was back at 2011 form. You're just butthurt.

Telepatic
09-10-2012, 06:42 PM
And djokovic didn't suck this USO man... He dominated until the final, and people were even saying he was back at 2011 form. You're just butthurt.

Dominated who? Ferrer and Delpo? I don't know who the hell said he is back at 2011 form, if you believe everything you hear then good for you.

TheF1Bob
09-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Match-Fixing at it's finest. ;)

Lovely_Bone
09-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Other then one I mentioned, which one? Tell me, I'm curious. :-|

Delpo Djokovic, Berdych Federer, Murray Lopez, Murray Cilic, Tsonga Klizan, Isner Kohlschreiber, Murray Djokovic, Hewitt Muller, Roddick Delpo, Monaco Garcia-Lopez, Fish Simon, are a few...

Lovely_Bone
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Dominated who? Ferrer and Delpo? I don't know who the hell said he is back at 2011 form, if you believe everything you hear then good for you.

I said that people said he was... I didn't that he was.

TheF1Bob
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I tell you what Telepatic, give me 24 hours to reboot from the emotionally drained match we just had and I come back at ya.

PaulFCB
09-10-2012, 06:47 PM
So in comparison to AO '12 it's better or worse?

From the least I've seen, except for the Novak-Andy SF and the FINAL, nothing impressing back in January?
US Open '12 > AO '12 ignoring the final 2 games in MB?

Telepatic
09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Delpo Djokovic, Berdych Federer, Murray Lopez, Murray Cilic, Tsonga Klizan, Isner Kohlschreiber, Murray Djokovic, Hewitt Muller, Roddick Delpo, Monaco Garcia-Lopez, Fish Simon, are a few...

Delpo Djokovic- Delpo can't break through Novak's pushing, pleasure for my eyes..

Berdych Federer- Federer's pretty much worst match after that Olympic final

Murray Lopez- good drama, bad match, Lopez choking as usual.

Murray Cilic- Good first set and a half from Cilic, rest of the match is good to be forgotten.

Tsonga Klizan- ?? Tsonga was dreadful

Roddick Delpo- Emotional match due to Roddick's retirement but other then that nothing else worth watching really.

Fish Simon- Simon was injured yet Fish was still making easy UE's, awful match actually

Isner Kohl- Don't really watch Isner's matches due to high level of excitement so can't tell to be honest..

Monaco GGL- GGL was entertaining but Monaco is a very poor top 10 player with that kind of showing..

Mustard
09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Check out the 1999 Australian Open. World number 1, Pete Sampras, declined to take part because he was exhausted after chasing the 1998 year-end number 1 ranking. Marcelo Rios became the number 1 seed and he seemed to have a better chance than ever of winning his first major, but then Rios had to pull out before the tournament started due to injury.

And on top of all this, the month before the tournament began, the ITF announced that the 1998 Australian Open champion, Petr Korda, had tested positive for nandrolone after his 1998 Wimbledon quarter final match against Tim Henman. Korda was stripped of the ranking points he had won at 1998 Wimbledon and fined the amount of prize money he had won at 1998 Wimbledon. Korda was then ostracised by many of his fellow players, who felt that he had gotten off lightly and should have been banned from the sport. The ITF agreed, saying that they had made a mistake and would be seeking to overturn the ruling of their own appeals committee and get Korda banned. Korda was eventually banned from tennis for 12 months from July 1999 to July 2000. Korda got to the third round of the 1999 Australian Open when he defended his title, losing to Todd Martin in a 5-setter.

When the 1999 Australian Open began, with first seed Rios out, second seed Alex Corretja lost in the second round to Christian Ruud. Third seed and reigning 2-time US Open champion, Patrick Rafter, lost in the third round to Thomas Enqvist. Fourth seed, Carlos Moya, lost in the first round to Nicolas Kiefer. Fifth seed, Andre Agassi, lost in the fourth round to Vincent Spadea. Sixth seed, Tim Henman, lost in the third round to Marc Rosset. Anyway, eventually the tournament was won by tenth seeded Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who beat Thomas Enqvist in the final. Kafelnikov thanked Sampras in his winning speech for not playing in the tournament.

Another major I should mention is the 2002 Australian Open. The then 3-time Australian Open champion, third seed and defending champion, Andre Agassi, pulled out with a wrist injury just before the tournament began. The first seed, Lleyton Hewitt, had chicken pox and lost in the first round to Alberto Martin. The second seed, Gustavo Kuerten, blew a 2 set lead and lost in the first round to Julien Boutter. Fourth seed, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, lost in the second round to Alex Kim. Fifth seed, Sebastien Grosjean, lost in the second round to Francisco Clavet.

Sixth seed, Tim Henman, seemed to be the tournament favourite by the time the third round started, but after a 4-set win over British rival, Greg Rusedski, in the third round, Henman was easily beaten by Jonas Bjorkman in the fourth round. Seventh seed, Tommy Haas, after very tough wins over Todd Martin, Roger Federer and Marcelo Rios, led by 2 sets to 1 against Marat Safin in the semi finals when it started to rain. The roof was closed and when they came back out to play, Safin dominated in the indoor conditions and lost just 2 games in total in winning the last 2 sets.

Safin, the ninth seed, seemed to be back to somewhere near his best form, the form he had showed in the year 2000. Safin had an excellent 4-set win over Pete Sampras in the fourth round, and had that tough win over Haas in the semi finals. In the final, Safin was the strong favourite against the number 16 seed, Thomas Johansson. After a good start, Safin's level of play faded away and Johansson won in 4 sets to become an unlikely winner of a major title. Safin blamed the pressure he felt at being the pre-match favourite, for his loss to Johansson.

monfed
09-10-2012, 07:30 PM

seconded. RG 2012 was just terribly boring(well RG usually is so not really a shocking revelation).

Mustard
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
seconded. RG 2012 was just terribly boring(well RG usually is so not really a shocking revelation).

The 2012 French Open was an excellent major.

bluescreen
09-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Argument for this year's USO being a horrible slam:

-first week night matches were absolute blowouts
-slow courts
-poor scheduling

Argument against this year's USO being a horrible slam:

-8 (maybe more?) comebacks from 2 sets down in the first round
-emotional retirement from Roddick
-Isner-Kohlschreiber
-Murray-Djoker
-Murray finally winning first slam

monfed
09-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Wow ,very original Mustard. If RG wasn't such a foregone conclusion.. Eh whatever,RG sucks,sorry but it's true.

90's Clay
09-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Anything beats this crummy USO.. Makes me sad, what the USO has come to.. It used to be our (american tennis fans) Superbowl. Now its my least liked slam. They have ruined it from top to bottom.

And the one I used to hate the worst I now like the best.. Australian Open

Clarky21
09-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Lots of ********* butthurt going on with the OP. I'm sure if Mr. Roboto had won,the OP would certainly not be complaining.

dysonlu
09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Also, as always with the US Open, the ceremony was super rushed and didn't give both players the time for their speech and to thank everyone. And the business-driven decision of the men's semis schedule bit them in the arse again. Fail.

Worst of the 4 GS.

Federer20042006
09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I think Roddick overshadowed everything else.

TennisLovaLova
09-10-2012, 11:22 PM
worst slam ever IMO
no nadal
no federer in semis
weather conditions, matches suspended
horrible pushfest final
the worst

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 11:46 PM
I think the US Open is the slam I watch the most out of all 4...

Simply, starts around 18:00 -> perfect. You might need to stay up all night to see the night session, but easier than waking up at 08:00 AM for AO.
The AO always give's me the impression that it's like a "4th Grand Slam", never the same charisma like the other 3 probably because it's very early in a season but also the time zone is horrible for Europe, though they're inspired with that late final, not midday like the rest of them.
Waking up at 8:00am is that difficult for you? :confused:

Wimbledon starts at 4:00am in my time zone. :(

BreakPoint
09-10-2012, 11:49 PM
The 2012 French Open semis were terrible. Two horrendous one-sided matches. Federer inexplicably didn't seem to have any fight in him at all.

egn
09-10-2012, 11:57 PM
worst slam ever IMO
no nadal
no federer in semis
weather conditions, matches suspended
horrible pushfest final
the worst

ah yes because without nadal and federer the world explodes. I was actually so happy to see a semifinal with only 2 of the big 4.

The Bawss
09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
The slams this year all sucked except for AO and WIM. USO was especially bad: terrible scheduling, terrible weather, terrible management of acceptance speech, terrible loss by Fed, Terrible winner.

TennisLovaLova
09-11-2012, 01:09 AM
ah yes because without nadal and federer the world explodes. I was actually so happy to see a semifinal with only 2 of the big 4.

I'm a fed fan so when he doesnt reach the final I know there wont be any show in the upcoming matches
And I like to watch nadal play the finals cause he's a warrior
did you enjoy the push-fest yesterday?

TheF1Bob
09-11-2012, 03:16 AM
What I will say, the way the USTA handled the situation on Saturday with the double-header, was farcical at the very least.

You have a threat of Tornado outbreaks throughout the area during the day and night and still... they continue to play.

I'm not a fan of health and safety but COME ON! The USTA lost a lot of respect from me that day.

Alchemy-Z
09-11-2012, 03:21 AM
I dunno seeing them play in crazy conditions.

looked like a battle out their of nerves and when to gamble with the wind.