PDA

View Full Version : Now that Murray has won a slam which year will the next new slam winner be in

NadalAgassi
09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Now that Murray has broken the slam dunk (and Del Potro has already won a slam of course) which year will we have another new slam winner now that there arent even any obvious candidates. That would be mean either one of the second tier veterans like Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer, etc...winning one or one of the up and comers like Raonic or Tomic, or if it will take so long that it will be someone we dont know of yet.

MurrayMyInspiration
09-10-2012, 06:35 PM
NEXT YEAR. are you familiar with Cedrik marcel stebe!

kishnabe
09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
2015+....really can't say from the current young crop. Maybe Tsonga or Berdych can fluke one.

PaulFCB
09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Maybe Berdych.

NadalAgassi
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I think Berdych has an outside chance if Nadal doesnt return in top form. Djokovic and Nadal are the only two players he cant beat, and that would only leave only Djokovic. Still Federer and Murray will beat him in a big match more often than not as well, even if he can beat them. Also many others who have the potential of beating him, including lower ranked guys having a good day.

Tsonga might have the best chance since he is capable of beating any of the top 4 in a slam and has done so. Maybe if he gets an easy draw to the semis with an upset and plays his A game for 2 matches in a row he might be able to do it.

Ferrer I dont see. Lots of heart, not enough game.

Raonic, Tomic, Harrison, tough to say now. One just has to see how they develop these next few years but I suppose it could happen for one or more of them. Steve Johnson, does he maybe have the potential? Dimtrov, Nishikori, Berankis, Dolgopolov, Young, not a chance.

Could Cilic or Gulbis get it together to win a slam at some point? Doubtful.

Could Isner sneak out a fast court slam?

TheF1Bob
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
The Donald. 8)

Ledigs
09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
If Nadal does not recover, we could see a new FO champion first in 2013.

NadalAgassi
09-10-2012, 07:18 PM
If Nadal does not recover, we could see a new FO champion first in 2013.

Yes but it would probably be Djokovic in that case. Who else would win it? Ferrer, I highly doubt it.

tudwell
09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Probably not next year, but anything after that wouldn't surprise me. We've yet to see how consistent Murray is now that he's a slam champion. Djokovic has lost his 2011 luster and frankly would've been beaten by quite a few players with his play today. Federer is getting older and more susceptible to upsets like the one he had to Berdych. It also remains to be seen how Nadal returns, but frankly, the prognosis isn't good. He's missing half a year due to a chronic injury that has never been this bad before and isn't going to go away.

Basically, Federer and Nadal are fading, while Murray and Djokovic are not as dominant as Federer and Nadal have been, so 2014 could easily give us a new slam winner.

90's Clay
09-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Same 4 winning.. Maybe 3 if Nadal isn't back to top form.

Other then maybe Berdych (problem with him is his brain), I still can't see anyone breaking the strange hold of the top 4

Sabratha
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm going to say 2014.

RF20Lennon
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
The Donald. 8)

LOL you havent lost your sense of humor despite losing your avatar xD

Beryl
09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Gianluigi Quinzi at the French in 2016.

Hawkeye7
09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I think Berdych has an outside chance if Nadal doesnt return in top form. Djokovic and Nadal are the only two players he cant beat, and that would only leave only Djokovic. Still Federer and Murray will beat him in a big match more often than not as well, even if he can beat them. Also many others who have the potential of beating him, including lower ranked guys having a good day.

Tsonga might have the best chance since he is capable of beating any of the top 4 in a slam and has done so. Maybe if he gets an easy draw to the semis with an upset and plays his A game for 2 matches in a row he might be able to do it.

Ferrer I dont see. Lots of heart, not enough game.

Raonic, Tomic, Harrison, tough to say now. One just has to see how they develop these next few years but I suppose it could happen for one or more of them. Steve Johnson, does he maybe have the potential? Dimtrov, Nishikori, Berankis, Dolgopolov, Young, not a chance.

Could Cilic or Gulbis get it together to win a slam at some point? Doubtful.

Could Isner sneak out a fast court slam?

Del Potro has never beaten Murray in a slam. They only played one slam match though, 2008 USO.