PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic's Claim To Fame

TennisBatman
09-10-2012, 09:10 PM
What a tough era it is to play in for Djokovic, with the many successes of Federer, Nadal, and now Murray...

Though it's easy for one to place Djokovic above Murray in the tiers of tennis greats, it's a far more challenging task to do so with regard to Nadal or Federer at this point in time.

He had a great shot at accomplishing something truly historical if he had beaten Nadal at the French Open this year--which would have given him 4 consecutive slams--but that chance has passed, not to mention the chances to win two majors after that...

Nadal has his excellent clay record capped by his victories at the French Open. Federer has his many slam-filled years and slam total to brag about. But what makes Djokovic stand apart from Federer and Nadal that puts him in the mix?

One thing beyond the obvious is his character. Not only does he win championships, but he does so with a pride not seen in anyone else. Perhaps more important is his character in defeat. He is quick to congratulate his opponents when they achieve a hard-fought win against him in a major.

This personal aspect of Novak is what I believe will become even more visible as he passes through his prime years and realizes that he has only a limited number of years to prove his greatness, and I think he has already started to make progress here...

octogon
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Djokovic had his chance to join Nadal and Federer as a GOAT contender. He had to reproduce his form from last year this year, and he couldn't. He'll never get another chance, imho. At best, he'll probably win another 3 slams, which is still a brilliant career. But with Nadal coming back fresh next year (and probably a lock for the French as usual), Federer still capable of winning slams, Murray in the asscendency, and the likelyhood that one of the chasing pack is going to make a breakthrough (Del Potro maybe winning another slam, or Tsonga or Berdych finally going all the way), Djokovic will never have another season close to 2011. It was basically a one-off. He should thank his Doctor and the egg-pod, because I'm not entirely sure the stamina he showed in 2011 was natural.

Djokovic will go down as a great player, but not as a GOAT contender. That is reserved for Nadal and Federer this era.

cork_screw
09-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I think his biggest claim to fame is looking like Screech from Saved By the Bell.

Matheson
09-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I agree, Djokovic is a true champion among men who can play tennis well.

Sentinel
09-11-2012, 03:07 AM
So basically being a good loser is his claim to fame ???

tank_job
09-11-2012, 04:23 AM
He will be known as the one who finally let Murray through.

TennisBatman
09-11-2012, 07:04 AM
It takes a lot of discipline to channel one's bestial anger on the court to help him win critical points, games, and sets--while at the same time keeping that anger away from opponents, umpires, and fans...

He fully enjoys his moments of victory when they come, but also gives credit to his opponents with sincerity, good composure, and friendliness.

Djokovic is a great grand slam champion, but also a great grand slam runner-up.

a10best
09-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Octogon said what I would say. Yes, he is a great runner-up as was Murray & Nadal. I like the display of sportsmanship and respect after a loss.

I wish I could say the same when certain females lose. Even Federer was not a great sport when he lost at the AO to Nadal, and then at Wimbledon.

PimpMyGame
09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Djokovic did extremely well to stamp his authority on the global game over a relatively short period of time. His rise to the top from a brattish, sensitive, bad-losing sportsman* who was quick to throw in the towel on medical grounds has been nothing short of exponential. Trouble is, I think he's been sussed out and those with the ability know how to handle him from now on.

* - I'm not trying to troll, it's my observation. For the record Federer wasn't much better in his early years.

Dark Magician
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM
He is a Great champion and a nice person!
He is a hero for Serbia!
He will have more chances and he need to grab it!

dman72
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Djoker is good for the game and I hope he maintains good form. Federer is good also but can come off as a bit aloof. Djokovic can be quite funny.

Nadal is a competitor, but is hard to watch in post match interviews and such..he basically has not made an attempt to grasp English the way Fed and Novak, who are pretty fluent (Fed is probably better than Murray speaking English), so his interviews become painful.

a10best
09-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Djokovic is quite funny. He definitely should be on TV (something with comedy) whenever he retires. He is a natural. him and Sharapova playing golf was great.

DropShotArtist
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Not sure why people keep lumping Nadal and Federer together. Djokovic is closer to Nadal than Nadal is to Federer.

Magnetite
09-11-2012, 09:30 AM
This may change, and probably will, but right now his claim to fame is 2011. One of the best 8 months of tennis ever, and the fact that he did it during the Federer/Nadal era.

I'm pretty sure he'll get some more, and Murray as well.

tank_job
09-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Djokovic did extremely well to stamp his authority on the global game over a relatively short period of time. His rise to the top from a brattish, sensitive, bad-losing sportsman* who was quick to throw in the towel on medical grounds has been nothing short of exponential. Trouble is, I think he's been sussed out and those with the ability know how to handle him from now on.

* - I'm not trying to troll, it's my observation. For the record Federer wasn't much better in his early years.

I don't get why people say this?

No tennis player ever gets 'sussed out' or 'figured out' or whatever.

Everyone knows what every player is going to do because there are only 2 options for a tennis player: ball-bash or grind.

It really doesn't get any deeper than that. If you think it does, you're over-thinking.

You don't think everyone's figured out that Nadal is going to grind their backhands down 100% of the time, every single point? Of course everyone knows it but they can't do jack ***** about it.

Likewise, everyone knows that Djokovic is just going to grind them down from the baseline. Hardly anyone can do anything about that either.

Sentinel
09-11-2012, 09:49 AM
He will be known as the one who finally let Murray through.

Federer. Olympics.
Federer USO 2012 QF.