PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray on the "weak era"

Netspirit
09-10-2012, 10:02 PM
A.M.:

"When you see physically how strong someone like Rafa is, I played him many times, you know, that drives you. You see also how hard he works. That makes you realize what you have to do nowadays, I think, to get to the top of the game and to compete with those guys.

You know, I obviously played Roger many times, as well. You know, just the way that he plays, the consistency that he's shown over the last whatever, seven, eight, nine, ten years, I think it's going to be tough to see that again.

Obviously Novak, the last few years, you know, you see the way he moves around the court. He took things I think especially on a hard court to a new level.

Yeah, I'm very happy to be part of this era in tennis. I think everyone probably in here would agree it's one of the best ever. I think playing against them has made me improve so much. You know, I always said that maybe if I played another era maybe I would have won more, but I wouldn't have been as good a tennis player. I think that's how you should be judged at the end of your career, not just on how much you're winning but on the people you're competing against and how good a player you actually were.

Those guys are some of the best of all time.

powerangle
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
It's very top-heavy for sure. There hasn't been a top two or top three/four like this in terms of sheer dominance. But currently below the top 4, it's another story.

cork_screw
09-10-2012, 10:49 PM
It's very top-heavy for sure. There hasn't been a top two or top three/four like this in terms of sheer dominance. But currently below the top 4, it's another story.

Beyond the top 4, this era is pretty strong considering that Most talented players who play at college level would get the floor wiped clean by solid challengers and satellite players and those players are the ones buying for just qualies positions for major events.

The 80's and 90's era was spread out because there were more range of players who could come in and play with a variety of game. All you needed was a serve and volley. Nowadays players play with spin, pace and there are high school players who hit 115 mph serves. So I think when people talk about back in the day they don't account for the intensity that is kinda the norm that most players play with from even the most basic ground level in today's game, this excludes all the players in the mid range who have more dynamic games.

I think this is a very strong era considering how strong the players are who don't even qualify for the main draw spots.

But yes, even with this, it is top heavy and we will probably not see a player like Nadal or Fed in a very long time (and this is something I never thought about when I saw sampras play).

TennisLovaLova
09-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Below the top 4 you have late bloomers like tipsaravic in the top 10, underachievers like Ferrer also, who doesnt represent a real threat outside clay and on best of 5 matches to the top 4.
And the rest of the top 10 are basically playing 1 day in god mode and the next day they play like garbage (Berdych, Tsonga, Cilic, Fish, etc.
Only Delpo is doing great, next top 5 IMO if he gets easier draws.
But Isnet at N10? Come on

But we're actually between 2 eras so it also counts

Bjorn99
09-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Berdych was beaten by the wind on his serve or he would be the toast of yesterdays tennis match. I don't know if anyone saw what he did to Federer, but he was hitting missiles that were almost unplayable.

Too bad for him, the weather patterns these days feature more and more high end winds. Perhaps he can modify his serve in the interim. But this championship was on his racquet. And he might have been included in this top heavy group.

kalyan4fedever
09-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Roger, Nadal made djokovic better and these three combined made murray better, now what else. I wonder are these players encouraging each other or competing

Fedex
09-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Berdych was beaten by the wind on his serve or he would be the toast of yesterdays tennis match. I don't know if anyone saw what he did to Federer, but he was hitting missiles that were almost unplayable.

Too bad for him, the weather patterns these days feature more and more high end winds. Perhaps he can modify his serve in the interim. But this championship was on his racquet. And he might have been included in this top heavy group.

Did you see what Murray did to Raonic?
If he can consistently return 130 to 140mph service bombs then he can handle Berdych's forehands wind or no wind.

robbo1970
09-11-2012, 02:12 AM

It was the same weather for both players and I think therefore the player that is able to adapt and adjust not only to who they are playing, but the weather conditions as well, deserves to be credited as the better player and the rightful winner.

The same could be said at Wimbledon when the roof went over. The fact is, the conditions were the same for both and the best player one.

Congratulations though to Andy Murray, the way he has bounced back from a very emotional Wimbledon final has been admirable. Interesting to see the top four now holding a slam each at the same time. I wonder when the last time that happened was?

TennisLovaLova
09-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Did you see what Murray did to Raonic?
If he can consistently return 130 to 140mph service bombs then he can handle Berdych's forehands wind or no wind.

Berdych's toss is higher than Raonic. So the wind has more effect on it.
But Murray is an awesome returner no doubt about it, it's the basis of his pusher's defensive ugly style of tennis

Fedex
09-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Berdych's toss is higher than Raonic. So the wind has more effect on it.
But Murray is an awesome returner no doubt about it, it's the basis of his pusher's defensive ugly style of tennis

It's not Murray's fault that the idiots in power think the slowing of all slam surfaces is a good idea.
Give Murray a fast court and you'll see amazing tennis.
On that surface he bagels Nadal and regularly straight sets Djokovic and Federer.
If the slams were fast then Murray would likely be a multi slam winner by now.
A grueling slug fest on slow does not suit Murray but he's had to adapt his game to win on a more unnatural surface.
That takes some talent.

accidental
09-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Beyond the top 4, this era is pretty strong considering that Most talented players who play at college level would get the floor wiped clean by solid challengers and satellite players and those players are the ones buying for just qualies positions for major events.

The 80's and 90's era was spread out because there were more range of players who could come in and play with a variety of game. All you needed was a serve and volley. Nowadays players play with spin, pace and there are high school players who hit 115 mph serves. So I think when people talk about back in the day they don't account for the intensity that is kinda the norm that most players play with from even the most basic ground level in today's game, this excludes all the players in the mid range who have more dynamic games.

I think this is a very strong era considering how strong the players are who don't even qualify for the main draw spots.

But yes, even with this, it is top heavy and we will probably not see a player like Nadal or Fed in a very long time (and this is something I never thought about when I saw sampras play).

Lol wut.

Are you trying to say the previous era was full of former college players? If anything college players are more successful in this era than in the last

PhrygianDominant
09-11-2012, 04:33 AM
It was the same weather for both players and I think therefore the player that is able to adapt and adjust not only to who they are playing, but the weather conditions as well, deserves to be credited as the better player and the rightful winner.

The same could be said at Wimbledon when the roof went over. The fact is, the conditions were the same for both and the best player one.

Congratulations though to Andy Murray, the way he has bounced back from a very emotional Wimbledon final has been admirable. Interesting to see the top four now holding a slam each at the same time. I wonder when the last time that happened was?

Yes! thanks for talking sense on this board. Mostly I only keep posting here because I have a Murrian Masochistic streak, and take sick pleasure from reading troll posts and illogical drivel, but you sir get 10 internets for this postage

DBH
09-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Interesting to see the top four now holding a slam each at the same time. I wonder when the last time that happened was?

Just after the 2003 US Open. Top four were Ferrero (FO winner), Roddick (USO winner), Federer (Wimbledon winner), Agassi (AO winner).

DBH

dman72
09-11-2012, 06:57 AM
I do think the way Berdych played against Fed he would have beaten anybody..reminded me of Delpo 2009...flat forehands that no one is getting back. There are a few guys like that, but what seperates the top 3 (and hopefully Murray now) is sheer consistency, and how few bad days they really have.

cknobman
09-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Roger, Nadal made djokovic better and these three combined made murray better, now what else. I wonder are these players encouraging each other or competing

What you did not know they all had huge circle jirks in the locker room???
Its all about making the guy next you better!! :wink:

BigServer1
09-11-2012, 07:51 AM
It was one of, if not the strongest top 3 ever, now it seems like it's one of, if not the strongest top 4 ever.

Like a couple other people have said, after that it's pretty bad. Guys ranked 5-10 can have a good match here and there but show little consistency, or they have consistency (Ferrer) but don't have the firepower to beat the top 4.

No one outside the top 4 has won a Major since 2009, or a Masters title since 2010. You'd think if the guys ranked 5 or below were really that strong, they'd at least be able to take advantage of a Masters opportunity, but that hasn't been the case in more than two years.

The question is, what happens now? Fed is 31, he can't go on like this forever, and Nadal's knee troubles have to be a worry about his long term prospects. If we lose those two, it could get ugly...

DRII
09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
What you did not know they all had huge circle jirks in the locker room???
Its all about making the guy next you better!! :wink:

WTF :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cfidave
09-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Yes, Berdych vs Murray without the wind, I would have bet on Berdych.