PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think 2013 could be the best tennis season in a decade?

tenniswriter
09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
With Murray's win a few hours ago, the question has finally been answered : Yes, he can win a Grand Slam. This, as has been pointed out in a thread before, is the first time since 2003 that four different players have won the four Slams. I remember being extremely excited at the end of 2003, thinking that we were going to have one of the most open and competitive years of tennis ahead. Of course, this chap called Federer along with some help from this guy called Rafa ruined it for all of us.
However, aren't we on the brink of something like that all over again? Federer is just getting older(I am not saying he has lost it, but it will be harder for him), Nadal is extremely vulnerable to injury and it remains to be seen whether he will be at his best when he comes back. Djokovic has faded away, while Murray has improved tremendously, especially his mental strength. The Grand Slams are up for grabs next year and we could see a lot of unexpected and strange results. Any of the younger guys you think could break through next year? Raonic perhaps, Del Potro could probably finally win his second slam. I don't know, it all bodes really well for an exciting year.

cork_screw
09-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Nope. It's nice that Murray won, but Nadal was absent. If Nadal is well I don't think Murray stands a chance against him unless someone clears the way for him. Djokovic played surprisingly defensive. I thought he played way too many slices. What was the deal with all those slices? Does he expect to win points that way? I've never seen him slice so much and I live in NYC, the wind stopped blowing by the end of the first set so I'm still wondering...

norbac
09-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Don't know. Just know that 2012 has been an incredible season. I had grown bored of one player dominating a season, love the fact that we got 4 different winners at the Majors.

Matheson
09-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Lol, Djokovic fading away, lol.

tenniswriter
09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Lol, Djokovic fading away, lol.

I didn't say he is fading away, I said he has faded away this season as compared to last year's dominance. Sorry if that didn't come across

Netspirit
09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
2012 feels a lot like 2002, the beginning of a new Transitional era. Fedal is fading, Djokovic and Murray may be today's Roddick and Hewitt.

There could be a new great champion on the horizon, or even a pack. However, I do not see them. Do you?

octogon
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Nope. It's nice that Murray won, but Nadal was absent. If Nadal is well I don't think Murray stands a chance against him unless someone clears the way for him. Djokovic played surprisingly defensive. I thought he played way too many slices. What was the deal with all those slices? Does he expect to win points that way? I've never seen him slice so much and I live in NYC, the wind stopped blowing by the end of the first set so I'm still wondering...

I'm more of a Nadal fan, but Murray has taken out Nadal in two hardcourt Grand Slam semi-finals. of course he stands a chance against him. Murray's problem has always been mental. He didn't quite believe he could win a "big one", even though he can beat any of the top players on a given day. Now that he's actually done it (twice, if you count the Olympics) and got the belief, I think he could possibly beat Nadal in any Grand slam final, except for the French.'

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-10-2012, 11:20 PM
It'll be more interesting if Nadal comes back injury free and we complete the big 4 set.

Russeljones
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
No. Every season where Federer is diminished is a season where tennis will have less global appeal. It was inevitable but that's that. Murray, Nadal and Djokovic just can't whip up so much interest especially now that Murray's fairytale is over.

Tafmatch
09-10-2012, 11:38 PM
What about 2012? Easily the best year of the decade imo.

tenniswriter
09-10-2012, 11:41 PM
What about 2012? Easily the best year of the decade imo.

Definitely. What I meant was, we didn't(atleast I didn't) expect 4 different winners at the Slams at the end of 2011. There's a sense of expectation now

MrFlip
09-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Djokovic 1.95 to reboot for 2013.

Zarfot Z
09-11-2012, 12:47 AM
2012 feels a lot like 2002, the beginning of a new Transitional era. Fedal is fading, Djokovic and Murray may be today's Roddick and Hewitt.

There could be a new great champion on the horizon, or even a pack. However, I do not see them. Do you?

Because one quarterfinal appearance can be considered as 'fading away'. You've obviously been too used to Federer dominating the tour and reaching the SF of every Grand Slam. No.

Feņa14
09-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I think Wimbledon will be the most interesting.

Murray beat Federer and Djokovic in straights at the Olympics, he's won his first major yesterday.

He's struggled with Nadal on grass though, that would be an interesting match up.

*Val*
09-11-2012, 03:39 AM

I don't get everyone going on about Nadal's absence at the USO, this is Nadal's worst surface, Federer and Djokovic were surely bigger threats to Murray

UKTennis
09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
I don't get everyone going on about Nadal's absence at the USO, this is Nadal's worst surface, Federer and Djokovic were surely bigger threats to Murray

Yes. I think Murray would have beaten Nadal here, but it may have been five sets meaning he wasn't as fresh for the final, which begun to tell at the latter stages of the fifth set where you could see fatigue was hitting Djokovic more than Murray.

Monsieur_DeLarge
09-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Yes. I think Murray would have beaten Nadal here, but it may have been five sets meaning he wasn't as fresh for the final, which begun to tell at the latter stages of the fifth set where you could see fatigue was hitting Djokovic more than Murray.

As the #3 and #4 seeds, Murray would never have played Nadal in the semis, regardless of the draw. He could only have played Rafa in the final.

Regards,
MDL

namelessone
09-11-2012, 04:05 AM

Nope,indoor HC is.

Nadal has made the last 2 finals here, in 2010 and 2011(beat Murray here in 2011 and the courts look even slower this year, not to mention that Nadal is a good wind player). Even in 2008 and 2009 he made SF.
Normally Murray would be favored against Nadal on HC but USO was very slow this year and the weather conditions wouldn't have helped an attacking type of player(see Berdych versus Murray).

It was a grinder's paradise in this USO(ferrer,murray,djoko all were SF) so I think Rafa could have made a dent if he hwas healthy enough to enter.

Alchemy-Z
09-11-2012, 04:16 AM
It's one of the best I have watched.

AO - Epic mens final with Novak holding on to beat out Rafa
FO- The Novak Rafa show down everyone wanted in 2011/ Rafa wins #7 and solidifies king of clay
WIM- Roger finds his feet again and reclaims the throne and on grass.
Olympics- Murray wins Gold in his countries eyes/Roger grabs that singles Medal and Delpo shows he is rising back to the top with a bronze.
USO - Murray finally shuts the critics up as a slamless wonder and changes British sport history.

What I like best is it leaves an unpredictable 2013-

Will Murray continue his Drive?
Will Novak find his game in AO like Usual?
Will this long break Help/Hurt Rafa?
Have we seen the last Roger Slam at Wimbledon now with Rafa/Murray/Novak as very real threats?

UKTennis
09-11-2012, 04:43 AM
As the #3 and #4 seeds, Murray would never have played Nadal in the semis, regardless of the draw. He could only have played Rafa in the final.

Regards,
MDL

You're right, of course Federer was Murray's side. I think Djokovic would have beaten Nadal as well.