PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Andy Murray's fans

Russeljones
09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I stayed up to watch this even if I flicked to and fro (watched The Charge of The Light Brigade during the first set) whenever I dispaired from the horrendous state of affairs. Of course I mean the court speed. I mean the prevailing (3 out of the current top 4 players in the world employ it) defensive glacier-speed tennis.

In the middle of all this there were bright bits though. I had given a prediction that Murray would win in 5 and toward the end of the 2nd set I got worried we'd once again see his psyche crumble. Nothing of the sort, despite playing with his trademark negativity he managed to steer through the gusts and unsettle Djokovic with his retrieving.

How much can we make of the tennis quality both showed though? Djokovic took more risks, tried to play flat and come to the net. Unfortunately for him his net skills are nothing like what they should be and his overheads? That deserves an entire thread of its own. The court speed and wind did not allow for either player to hit a significant number of really clean winners like we know they are capable of. This factor maybe favoured Andy as his powers of defending (pushing the ball back over the net) seem to have overtaken those of Djokovic. Meanwhile Murray didn't do anything unsusual, he played ultra-safe with the very sporradic attempt at finishing a ball at a point where he thought he had the definitive advantage in the rally (after the 19th shot let's say).

Victory for Murray and the UK. A Phyrrhic one for tennis as this is the second Grand Slam final in 2012 that showcases absurd rallies possible only on absurd courts that almost negate shotmaking and promote stamina. And stamina, ladies and gents, means different things to different people and making stamina the holy grail of a tennis player's characteristics will lead to the death of the artistry in it.

Once more, my heartfelt congratulations for the people who've stuck with Andy Murray.

Feņa14
09-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Russel.

It has been a long time coming, each loss was certainly tough. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we were prepared to wait for however long it would take, if it didn't, it wouldn't be through lack of desire and effort on his behalf.

Hopefully this opens the floodgates maybe and he can be a multiple champion, maybe even get the number 1 ranking at some point.

The journey is just beginning in many ways!

Magnus
09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Congrats to all Murray fans. He really deserved this one and while the match was a bit mediocre (though more due to conditions than anything else), he was the one to make the final push and beat Nole.

Funny thing that that top 4 won the 4 slams this year, though I'm hoping next year we see some less known GS winners.

Sreeram
09-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Yes, Congrats to me and all other Andy fans, it is worth a wait. It was a happy moment and satisfactory as well.

My only concern is, I wish Andy would have played at the same level, without any ups and down. But considering the fact that Djker had the same issue with his level going up and down, I will accept this win.

Gandalf
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately for him his net skills are nothing like what they should be and his overheads? That deserves an entire thread of its own.

A thread? That deserves a book. I don't think that ever was or will be such a dominant player with such a bad classic trio of flaws for a 2HBH player: volleys, overhead and slice. I sometimes wish that people could apply the same tactics they would use in junior tennis. The strategy for beating the inform Novak would sound simple: make him come to the net. Of course, making it actually work would be almost impossible, if possible only done by two of the best players of our time and in very different ways, and require some havy duty planning that may demand a change of their game more than they would be willing to risk.

Murray wasn't in spectacilar form during the USO. Novak may or may not have been a 2011. Novak, but the point is, giving the circumstances and history Murray should have approached the match as Novak was unbeatable and come up with a good game plan, which im sure he had. What happens instead, leaving out the subtle changes in Andys game: Murray was being Murray, displaying his usual succesful game that puts him in the very top of ATP for years and never changing it, while Novak/Novaks team decide to change/ adjust the game as tactics!!! You do NOT, all of a sudden use one of the worst slices professional tennis has ever seen as your main weapon, in a USO final. It was 0-2 soon. Murray took charge of this weakness, and he could have played even better against it. Novak made big changes, the tools were terrible. Im not taking anything away for Murray, he deserved the win, and I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't have won if they were the usual Andy and Novak, even without the wind.

Big congratulations to Andy Murray(coming from a down to Earth Novak fan), and a message to Novak, behave like a world no1, show the toughness and confidence you think you have, and let people try to find a way to beat you like last year, and not vice versa, because when you are in form and looking unbeatable, that's how it should be.

The Bawss
09-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Congrats Andrew I guess. It was only a matter of time.

jukka1970
09-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Way to go Murray. Am happy that he's won his first slam. He's tried so damn hard before, and now is finally rewarded

Russeljones
09-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I'll make a point of watching the 2012 AO Semi between the pair again. If my memory serves me right Murray played at a higher level then (conditions not withstanding).

Sentinel
09-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Has batz chimed in after the win, or is he still celebrating. ?

What was you reaction like, batz ??? :D :D

Rozroz
09-11-2012, 12:59 AM
although he pushed most of the time,
this final he mentally fought hard and deserved it.
respect.

Sreeram
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM
I'll make a point of watching the 2012 AO Semi between the pair again. If my memory serves me right Murray played at a higher level then (conditions not withstanding).

True, Andy played better tennis in AO semi compared to this. But here conditions were different, plus Dkjo is different as well.

tank_job
09-11-2012, 02:06 AM
But why was Djokovic reverting to his godawful slice?

Because the easiest thing to do with a heavy, biting slice (the kind that Murray has and Djokovic does not) - is to slice it back.

Thus craft Murray draws Djokovic into playing his weaker shot.

batz
09-11-2012, 02:09 AM
Has batz chimed in after the win, or is he still celebrating. ?

What was you reaction like, batz ??? :D :D

Still numb:shock:

Kudos to Rozroz, The Bawss etc for their posts on this thread and to russel for making it. Nice one guys.

Feather
09-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Congrats to Murray and his fans for winning US Open!

The best fans in this board are without doubt Murray fans and they really deserve their place in the sun.. I also wanted Murray to win, for some selfish motives, that would help Roger touch 300 weeks :wink:

Hats off to you Batz, you too really deserve all the credit for your great mentality in congratulating Roger fans when he won Wimbledon, especially considering the fact that Roger denied Murray three Majors

Sartorius
09-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Not exactly a fan; but longer the wait, sweeter the moment I'd imagine. Grats. And it really was nice to see him pull through.

namelessone
09-11-2012, 02:38 AM
I stayed up to watch this even if I flicked to and fro (watched The Charge of The Light Brigade during the first set) whenever I dispaired from the horrendous state of affairs. Of course I mean the court speed. I mean the prevailing (3 out of the current top 4 players in the world employ it) defensive glacier-speed tennis.

In the middle of all this there were bright bits though. I had given a prediction that Murray would win in 5 and toward the end of the 2nd set I got worried we'd once again see his psyche crumble. Nothing of the sort, despite playing with his trademark negativity he managed to steer through the gusts and unsettle Djokovic with his retrieving.

How much can we make of the tennis quality both showed though? Djokovic took more risks, tried to play flat and come to the net. Unfortunately for him his net skills are nothing like what they should be and his overheads? That deserves an entire thread of its own. The court speed and wind did not allow for either player to hit a significant number of really clean winners like we know they are capable of. This factor maybe favoured Andy as his powers of defending (pushing the ball back over the net) seem to have overtaken those of Djokovic. Meanwhile Murray didn't do anything unsusual, he played ultra-safe with the very sporradic attempt at finishing a ball at a point where he thought he had the definitive advantage in the rally (after the 19th shot let's say).

Victory for Murray and the UK. A Phyrrhic one for tennis as this is the second Grand Slam final in 2012 that showcases absurd rallies possible only on absurd courts that almost negate shotmaking and promote stamina. And stamina, ladies and gents, means different things to different people and making stamina the holy grail of a tennis player's characteristics will lead to the death of the artistry in it.

Once more, my heartfelt congratulations for the people who've stuck with Andy Murray.

http://i.imgur.com/L0iFv.gif

15_ounce
09-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Meal do naidheachd!