PDA

View Full Version : A look back at the last 40 Grand Slams

ninman
09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought I'd share some statistics from the last 40 Grand Slam championships.

- Federer has made the semi's or better on 32 occasions.
- Either Federer or Nadal has appeared in 32 finals.
- Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are the only players to win more than 1 Grand Slam, taking 33 in total.
- Of the 7 other winners, only two have won more than one Grand Slam in their career - Agassi and Safin.
- Federer has lost before the quarter finals on only 4 occasions, the last being to Guastavo Kuerten in the third round of the 2004 French Open.

thompenator
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Very interesting stats. However, there is a slight inaccuracy with one of your points (admittedly the most minor of them), The 7 men who have won a single slam in the last 10 years includes Safin, who also won the 2000 US Open. So you're 4th point should read something like:
Of the 7 other winners, only 2 have won more than one slam in their careers - Agassi & Safin.

Also, of those 7 single wins, 5 were in the first 9 of the last 40 and 3 were in the first 4!

ninman
09-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Fixed it now. I thought it kind of highlights the significance of Murray's win. Winning slams has been harder than ever, and those stats really highlight that fact.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-11-2012, 01:18 AM
I thought I'd share some statistics from the last 40 Grand Slam championships.

- Federer has made the semi's or better on 32 occasions.
- Either Federer or Nadal has appeared in 32 finals.
- Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are the only players to win more than 1 Grand Slam, taking 33 in total.
- Of the 7 other winners, only two have won more than one Grand Slam in their career - Agassi and Safin.
- Federer has lost before the quarter finals on only 4 occasions, the last being to Guastavo Kuerten in the third round of the 2004 French Open.

Very interesting