PDA

View Full Version : Federer has officially accomplished +300 weeks at NO 1 !

FederErizeD
09-11-2012, 02:47 AM
The rankings now are:

Roger Federer (SUI) 11,805
Novak Djokovic (SRB) 10,470

It's 1335-point-gap ..

Thus, officially, Federer stays at no 1 for +300 weeks, beyond Shanghai .. cuz even if djokovic gets Shanghai and Federer doesn't even participate, the no 1 for +300 weeks is already guaranteed !

Russeljones
09-11-2012, 02:50 AM
Kind of a meaningless record. He only cares for the YE #1 now I am certain.

merlinpinpin
09-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Nope, it's not official yet--Djokovic is listed for Beijing the week before Shanghai, so he could still make up 1,500 points should he win these two events and Federer not take part (actually, he would only make up 1,410 points, as Federer will win 90 points from Doha once his 0-pointer for Tokyo, but that wouldn't be enough to guarantee him the top spot in this (admitedly far-fetched) scenario).

So, although in all probability, Federer is going to get past the 300-week mark, Djokovic still has a tiny chance of stopping him at 299. ;)

Feather
09-11-2012, 02:52 AM
I was hoping Murray will win, though Djokovic is anyday my fave player, and I am happy Murray won.

Now 300 for sure.. However I want him to touch 313, let us see :)

merlinpinpin
09-11-2012, 02:52 AM

True. Besides, him getting YE #1 for the sixth time would neatly take care of the 300-week mark, and then some. ;)

Feather
09-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Nope, it's not official yet--Djokovic is listed for Beijing the week before Shanghai, so he could still make up 1,500 points should he win these two events and Federer not take part (actually, he would only make up 1,410 points, as Federer will win 90 points from Doha once his 0-pointer for Tokyo, but that wouldn't be enough to guarantee him the top spot in this (admitedly far-fetched) scenario).

So, although in all probability, Federer is going to get past the 300-week mark, Djokovic still has a tiny chance of stopping him at 299. ;)

What's with this zero pointer for Tokyo?

Russeljones
09-11-2012, 02:55 AM
True. Besides, him getting YE #1 for the sixth time would neatly take care of the 300-week mark, and then some. ;)

After #6 I don't care anymore ;)

merlinpinpin
09-11-2012, 03:06 AM
What's with this zero pointer for Tokyo?

He was listed for Tokyo last year but didn't play, so got a 0-pointer (lasting a full 52 weeks) that replaces his worst countable result in the "Other" (ie ATP500 and ATP250) category. That is his semi in Doha, so as soon as the Tokyo points drop off (Oct 8th), he will get the 90 points he scored in Doha.

Djokovic has also got a 0-pointer (for Beijing, same drop date), but as he doesn't have additional points to replace these with, they make no difference whatsoever as far as he's concerned.

Sartorius
09-11-2012, 03:12 AM

He'll try and give it a shot no doubt, but I'm not sure if he really cares for the YE #1 even.. I think his main goal was to retake No.1, not retain it. I recall he actually stated this explicitly in Cincy, that he already achieved his goal and if he really wanted to retain it he would play Toronto.

Bobby Jr
09-11-2012, 03:21 AM
He already has 6 doesn't he? Don't you mean 7th?

Nathaniel_Near
09-11-2012, 03:25 AM
I blame this aberration on Andy Murray.

Feather
09-11-2012, 03:28 AM
He was listed for Tokyo last year but didn't play, so got a 0-pointer (lasting a full 52 weeks) that replaces his worst countable result in the "Other" (ie ATP500 and ATP250) category. That is his semi in Doha, so as soon as the Tokyo points drop off (Oct 8th), he will get the 90 points he scored in Doha.

Djokovic has also got a 0-pointer (for Beijing, same drop date), but as he doesn't have additional points to replace these with, they make no difference whatsoever as far as he's concerned.

Thanks for the clarification :)

merlinpinpin
09-11-2012, 03:37 AM
He already has 6 doesn't he? Don't you mean 7th?

No, he "only" got year-end #1 for 5 years, in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 (missed it by one match in 2003, when he finished #2 being Roddick for a couple of points only).

He got six YEC's (aka "the" Masters), though, so maybe that's where the confusion is coming from. :)

Bobby Jr
09-11-2012, 03:48 AM
No, he "only" got year-end #1 for 5 years, in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 (missed it by one match in 2003, when he finished #2 being Roddick for a couple of points only).
Ahh, I misread it. I thought they were talking about the YEC.

UKTennis
09-11-2012, 03:53 AM
He hasn't really got anything else to prove. Matched or beaten almost every record out there. Maybe he should try playing left handed next year?

Sentinel
09-11-2012, 04:01 AM
Now that he's crossed 286, the YE #1 is all that matters.

I won't complain about 300, tho'.

FederErizeD
09-11-2012, 04:47 AM
He hasn't really got anything else to prove. Matched or beaten almost every record out there. Maybe he should try playing left handed next year?

u know that's what concerns me most ..

Federer doesn't have any other motivation for the game, having accomplished almost everything ..

I think maybe next year is his last year in the game .. Tennis will never be the same without him :cry:

kalyan4fedever
09-11-2012, 04:49 AM
u know that's what concerns me the most ..

Federer doesn't have any other motivation for the game, having accomplished almost everything ..

I think maybe next year is his last year in the game .. Tennis will never be the same without him :cry:

He will play till 2016 he once confirmed if that makes you feel better :)

FederErizeD
09-11-2012, 04:51 AM
He will play till 2016 he once confirmed if that makes you feel better :)

I know he did but let's be realistic ..

Will he be able to maintain his form till 2016?! I highly doubt it

once he feels it coming to him, he won't hesitate for the sake of his career !

mmk
09-11-2012, 04:57 AM

Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful.
Man in Black: Thank you; I've worked hard to become so.
Inigo Montoya: I admit it, you are better than I am.
Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.
Man in Black: And what is that?
Inigo Montoya: I... am not left-handed.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
Man in Black: You are amazing.
Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.
Man in Black: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]

Zarfot Z
09-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Now for 313!

Sentinel
09-11-2012, 06:14 AM
u know that's what concerns me most ..

He loves the game. Why does some record or accomplishment be required to motivate him. Does a writer stop writing after receiving some award, does a scientist stop research after a Nobel ?

A lot of folks here talk as though Federer is playing to prove something, and once he has done that then "there's nothing to prove".

I hope he plays doubles for a few years rather than quit.