PDA

View Full Version : Pro for sale

Thud and blunder
09-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Go to the Bay's UK site, search for Andrew Fitzpatrick :)

nyc
09-11-2012, 06:22 AM
That's funny - I like the creative approach!

He's 23, current ranking of 480.

Hate to burst that bubble but breaking top 50 seems implausible at this point.

sureshs
09-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Any female pro on sale?

Thud and blunder
09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
That's funny - I like the creative approach!

He's 23, current ranking of 480.

Hate to burst that bubble but breaking top 50 seems implausible at this point.

Yeah, it's a nice idea, but anyone doing this would almost certainly just be feeding the meter....

Torres
09-12-2012, 02:37 PM
% of the prize money? This isn't going to be a remotely profitable return unless he breaks into the Top 20.

That said I know someone who's sponsored a young female player in the ITFs and Futures to the tune of about 10k a year. He's not looking for a return, but using his assoication with the player to gain access to tournaments, get an idea of the setup etc, as his daughter is looking to follow the same path in about 5 years time.

Rhino
09-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Looking at his stats, I wonder if he's just not very good, and that is his main problem. He lost to a guy ranked #1,338 in July.

above bored
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Looking at his stats, I wonder if he's just not very good, and that is his main problem. He lost to a guy ranked #1,338 in July.
Here's an article on him.

http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/other-sport/2012/05/31/solihull-s-andy-fitzpatrick-finds-his-tennis-career-on-the-brink-65233-31080680/

Thud and blunder
09-13-2012, 04:51 AM

Well, the pyramid has a very broad base. I guess there's a bigger difference between player #5 and player # 50 than there is between #400 and #1300...for that matter, maybe you could say the gap between #1 and #5 is similar. Anyway, you can quibble about the exact numbers, but the point is the same; that result is hardly as bad as it may look.

Torres
09-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Not sure if anyone caught this but have a read of the article below. Talk about life being tough on the lower levels of the Tour!

Fitzpatrick’s travails in the Far East contrast sharply with life on richer tours
Matthew Lewis

The scenes from Tokyo yesterday were of a majestic venue and Heather Watson, the British No 2, giving Maria Sharapova, the world No 2, a run for her money before the Russian won. A couple of thousand miles south in Binh Duong, Vietnam, in a $10,000 ATP Futures event things were a lot more disturbing. Andrew Fitzpatrick, the British No 12 and No 456 in the world was experiencing one of the most traumatic weeks of his life. Not only had Fitzpatrick been robbed a couple of days ago of the 1,000 he had saved for three months for a five-tournament expedition to some of the least enticing places in the world but after his doubles match on Monday, he said that he was the victim of an attempted sexual assault in the single shower in the tournament locker room. Somehow, having got his senses back into some sort of shape, he was able to go back out on to the court yesterday and win his first-round match 6-3, 6-1 against the Cho Soong Jae, of South Korea, and today faces Wang Chuhan, of China. He will see out this event, one more in Vietnam and two in Japan before he comes home on a ticket he cannot change. Every penny he makes will be the hardest he has ever earned. The 23-year-old from Solihull in the West Midlands is one of those who plays tennis because he has a talent, he believes he can do good things and he is prepared to travel as far as his budget will take him. But events such as the night before last test all of his resolve. He recalls how he went into the locker room, trying to keep one eye on the bag from which his funds had been pilfered days earlier. He noticed someone but did not pay that much attention. “I was trying to attach the shower head to the wall and suddenly this guy grabbed me from behind,” Fitzpatrick said. “My reaction was that he may have had a weapon and I was pretty much trapped with no space to move, and then I realised what he was trying to do, so I punched him. There was only one exit to the locker room so I dashed for that, found the referee and the tournament called the police. They got the guy but all they really did was give him a telling-off. There was nothing else I could really do. I hadn’t been physically hurt.” How much the trauma will affect Fitzpatrick, no one can be sure. As he said: “I am pretty much by myself here so anything that happens feels so amplified because I don’t have anyone to confide in. I just want to survive these next few weeks and then make it home.” Fitzpatrick books his accommodation through CouchSurfing, which gives him a sofa to sleep on in local homes. “I think I’ve stayed in two hotels this year,” he said. Last month, he put himself up for sale on E-Bay, for which the winning bid was 870. His rent where he stays with his girlfriend in West London is paid by a friend for whom he plays for Paddington in the National Club League. “I’ve always been told I have great potential, I’m working really hard,” he said. “There are people in Britain who have the resources to help me but, so far, they have chosen not to.”

sureshs
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I would advise him never to try the I formation in doubles in those places

JoelDali
09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
I would advice him never to try the I formation in doubles in those places

Do the needful.

nyc
09-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah crazy story...@NeilHarmanTimes picked it up as well.

Here's a link to a free BBC Article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19736816

Time the ITF does something about compensation for lower ranked players.

It's nuts that only the top 100 can make a living. In no other sport do you have to scrape by being one of the 400 best in the world.

sureshs
09-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Yeah crazy story...@NeilHarmanTimes picked it up as well.

Here's a link to a free BBC Article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19736816

Time the ITF does something about compensation for lower ranked players.

It's nuts that only the top 100 can make a living. In no other sport do you have to scrape by being one of the 400 best in the world.

What about volleyball?

nyc
09-27-2012, 09:30 AM
What about volleyball?

Good point, I should clarify:

In no other sport of this level of viewership do you have to scrape by being one of the 400 best in the world.

sureshs
09-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Good point, I should clarify:

In no other sport of this level of viewership do you have to scrape by being one of the 400 best in the world.

OK let us analyze that. I suppose you brought up the viewership issue to emphasize the amount of money (tickets and TV rights) in the game. Apart from the Slams, most tournaments do not make money. So where do you propose the money for lower-ranked players should come from? Out of the prize money of the top players? Or by negotiating better deals from sponsors and broadcasters after establishing a minimum annual salary and benefits for the players, who should then organize as a union similar to other sports?

Related question: Though overall level of viewership is high, does it apply to events like Futures and Challengers where the lower-level players play? Do you think there is sufficient ticket sales and TV rights to hand out more money in those tournaments? Or should it all be part of the annual salary scheme of guaranteed money and medical benefits?

jaggy
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
He posts in a Brit tennis fan forum, he is a good guy.