PDA

View Full Version : ATP Championship

Danny_G13
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Can the year's end event at the O2 be regarded as some kind of major in itself?

After all, while it's 2 sets to win, it's a guarantee the top 8 will fight it out for the ultimate prize. And all will compete. Unless injured of course.

It seems to me, along with Olympic gold, it's arguably the 6th major in the sport.

Thoughts?

NadalDramaQueen
09-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't put it on par with a major, but for me it is between a masters 1000 and a slam, and that is how the points system ranks it (assuming you win it being undefeated).

It would be nice if they went to five sets at least for the final, but it is still one of my favorite tournaments either way, especially now at the O2 arena. It is pretty hit or miss with the posters on this board, depending on how successful their heroes have been there. :)

tacou
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
it depends how you rank them. there is a knock out around, so the threat of elimination is not so great...but every match is a grand slam quarter final or more, so it is much higher competition.

Since Olympics are once every 4 years, I'd say in an average calendar year it's clearly the 5th most prestigious tournament to win. only 8 players are even given the chance.

As a fan, behind Hopman Cup, YEC is my favorite to watch.

smoledman
09-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Yes because suddenly Federer has 23 slams! :D

Vcore89
09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Not really, with 9,000 points, that is equivalent to 4 GS points and 1 ''500'' Masters.:)

Danny_G13
09-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Yes because suddenly Federer has 23 slams! :D

Haha. I think it is a tough one to win. You have to beat 3 guys to top the table, then play the final.

4 matches, yes, but 4 guaranteed tough games against the top 7 seeds bar yourself.