PDA

View Full Version : Will Lendl remain Murray's coach...

pound cat
09-11-2012, 05:03 PM
now that Murray has won a slam. Lendl says "Mission accomplished." Does he feel he has done his job? Will he stay with Murray or not?

RF20Lennon
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
LOL if he doesnt stay then Murray is toast!

Larrysümmers
09-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Lendl is now going to ride into the sunset and start coaching Jo-Willy.

pound cat
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Lendl is now going to ride into the sunset and start coaching Jo-Willy.

I wouldn't doubt something like that...I hope he does

piteng
09-11-2012, 05:45 PM
lendl is the man- one of GOAT and one of my favs!

hope he stays active in pro tennis- bonus

Mainad
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Lendl's job is not yet done. He has helped turn Murray into a Slam winner. He now needs to make sure he becomes a MULTI-Slam winner! :)

Hawkeye7
09-11-2012, 05:52 PM
LOL! Sure, now that it payed off he leaves. Surely not. He will try to help him win more slams.

Feña14
09-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Lendl is a man who wants more, he's never satisfied with achievements.

I think he just see's this as the starting point.

Alchemy-Z
09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
If he misses a chance to drive the ball right at Novak like he did in the first set he will leave.

I saw that moment starting to happen and I was wondering if we were going to get a glimpse of lendl body smash play,

but Andy tried to pass =(

kaku
09-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I think he still wants to win Andy to win Wimbledon, wonder what Lendl's reaction to that would be

MurrayMyInspiration
09-11-2012, 06:23 PM
He likes being back in the tennis world. He also will become more famous when Murray wins more slams and he will be known as a great player and great coach.

NadalAgassi
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes he took up coaching one of the best players in the World, had taken him atleast part of the way to where people have been wanting him to go for years, and he is going to leave him for some second tier pretender (which in the current ATP is anyone 5 or below) Please.

BrooklynNY
09-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I think coaching Murray was just Lendl trying to break back into the tennis world.

I think he will eventually coach Wozniacki, and fix her forehand.
Lendl clearly fixed Murray's forehand and gave him a plan A.

He will do the same for Wozniacki...only so he can get close with Rory and get some golf tips.

Talker
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't mind Lendl grabbing Gulbis by the neck and straighten him out some. :)

But will probably stay with Murray for awhile.

smoledman
09-11-2012, 07:10 PM
No Lendl wants Murray to win career slam + #1.

Paul Murphy
09-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Lendl is a man who wants more, he's never satisfied with achievements.

I think he just see's this as the starting point.

I agree.
He managed their schedule well, picking and choosing the important tournaments, as they viewed them.
He'll want more majors, just as he did in his own career.

Oceansize
09-12-2012, 02:38 AM
I expect Lendl to stay with Murray for another year at least. There seems to be a genuine friendship and mutual respect between them. I mean it's not exactly a bad gig for him, as he get's to help a talented but underachieving guy reach his potential, whilst also playing lots of rounds of golf around the world, lol.

Also it would be pretty neat to see Murray win Wimbledon and climb up and give Lendl a hug, and for Lendl to get a big cheer from the crowd.

Monsieur_DeLarge
09-12-2012, 02:55 AM
I brought this issue up yesterday in the Lendl Appreciation Thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6891232#post6891232). For me, there's four possibilities:

He leaves and Andy wins no more. Good for Lendl's new "great coach" rep.
He leaves and Andy keeps winning. Ivan can still claim credit for the "new" Murray, so still good for his rep.
He stays on and Andy wins no more. Bad for his rep.
He stays on and Murray keeps winning, maybe even going for a shot at the #1 ranking at some point next year. Best of all for his rep.

I think he has little to lose by leaving, but more to gain by staying on. A slam-winner coaching another player to a slam win is something I believe only his own coach Tony Roche achieved. But Lendl can go one better, and be the first former #1 to coach a player to the same peak. Given his driven, competitive temperament, and his post-USO comments to the media, I'm pretty certain he'll stay on for at least another 12-18 months.

( Hopefully much longer; 'Ivandy' is my grumpy dream team. :D )

Regards,
MDL

tennisMVP
09-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Lendl never won Wimbledon, and Murray's main goal is Wimbledon.

syc23
09-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Murray is already close to winning AO so no need to sort anything there. The Scot will go into 2013 as joint favourite with Nole.

Lendl and Andy's main focus in the next 24 months will be to secure Wimbledon and then Roland Garros. The no.1 ranking will take care of itself if Murray becomes more consistent in MS1000s next year.

Highly doubt Lendl would want to coach anyone other than Andy at the moment. Nole is secure with Vajda, Uncle Toni for Rafa, Fed with Annacone and Mr Happy with Andy :D

2013 looks like another brilliant year for mens tennis. WTA will suck even more in comparison.

tennisMVP
09-12-2012, 04:08 AM
He can forget Roland Garros. Wimbledon, definitely a chance if he doesn't have to play Nadal.

syc23
09-12-2012, 04:23 AM
He can forget Roland Garros. Wimbledon, definitely a chance if he doesn't have to play Nadal.

I think that depends how the draws pan out in future FOs. If Nadal doesn't come back 100%, then it'll be open season for next year and beyond.

Murray is already the top 2/3 grass courter in the world and combined with confidence from winning a slam, he will surely pick up at least 1 Wimbledon before he retires. The support he got for the Olympics was immense, it'll be crazy in 2013.

Lendl is the perfect coach for Murray on clay as he has won FO himself so who knows? It all depends if Andy really wants a clay title. Maybe he should hire Kuerten for tips on playing on clay too on a part time basis.

Hawkeye7
09-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I would be very happy if Andy managed to reach the final at RG. I don't see him winning it however. At least not with the others being superior on clay.

tennisMVP
09-12-2012, 05:21 AM
I think that depends how the draws pan out in future FOs. If Nadal doesn't come back 100%, then it'll be open season for next year and beyond.

Murray is already the top 2/3 grass courter in the world and combined with confidence from winning a slam, he will surely pick up at least 1 Wimbledon before he retires. The support he got for the Olympics was immense, it'll be crazy in 2013.

Lendl is the perfect coach for Murray on clay as he has won FO himself so who knows? It all depends if Andy really wants a clay title. Maybe he should hire Kuerten for tips on playing on clay too on a part time basis.

I know what you mean, but I think 80% Nadal will beat Murray at Roland Garros. Maybe even 70%. But sounds like Team Nadal is being as cautious as possible. So unlikely they'll let him play if he's not 100%, anyway.

Fedex
09-12-2012, 06:56 AM
I would be very happy if Andy managed to reach the final at RG. I don't see him winning it however. At least not with the others being superior on clay.

I know what you mean, but I think 80% Nadal will beat Murray at Roland Garros. Maybe even 70%. But sounds like Team Nadal is being as cautious as possible. So unlikely they'll let him play if he's not 100%, anyway.

At RG 2011 semi final, Murray had 18 break point chances against Nadal and converted none!!

tennisMVP
09-12-2012, 07:34 AM
At RG 2011 semi final, Murray had 18 break point chances against Nadal and converted none!!

Its really hard to win 2 points in a row on Nadal's serve at Roland Garros, so extremely hard to convert a break point.

subban
09-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Lendl is one of the few players that was successfull as a player and now as a coach. Reminds me of Lendl's coach tony roche who finally helped him win the US Open and go on to win three consecutive US Opens.

cknobman
09-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Lendl is a freakin boss of a coach.

One of the reasons I like watching Murray now is to see the camera shots of Lendl watching in the stands.

Stone cold ice baby!!!

lendlmac
09-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Nadal cant even beat Lukas Rosol..let alone Andy Murray 2.0

FAIL

tennisMVP
09-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Nadal cant even beat Lukas Rosol..let alone Andy Murray 2.0

FAIL

I can assure you, Murray's game will never EVER resemble Rosol's game. Could not be more opposite.

Sentinel
09-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Murray was piece of cake, Lendy should coach Ferrer or Gloobis, let's see a slam from them.