PDA

View Full Version : Would you take up a job as a pro hitting partner?

flymeng
09-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Let's say you have a full time job making $100K/year as an engineer. You were a pretty good collegiate player and not settled down yet. Would you take up a job as a pro hitting partner and travel around the world for half the salary? A good example is Michael Joyce, Maria's ex hitting partner. Also, name the players you would like and NOT like to work for.

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Maybe for a year, I'd be fascinated with all of the venues you get to visit. Any more and I would get tired of it.

Alchemy-Z
09-11-2012, 06:11 PM
is my Travel/Food expenses included with my 50K?

if so I would do it because I spend most of my money on travel anyway and hitting a ball for 50K and meeting Pro's would be a great life.

plus if you are making 50K and not settled down always on the road (you don't need a house or even a car really) so you could save up tons of money you would be spending on Bills as the engineer.

flymeng
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
is my Travel/Food expenses included with my 50K?

if so I would do it because I spend most of my money on travel anyway and hitting a ball for 50K and meeting Pro's would be a great life.

plus if you are making 50K and not settled down always on the road (you don't need a house or even a car really) so you could save up tons of money you would be spending on Bills as the engineer.

All expenses are paid. $50K is beer money.:)

SStrikerR
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Hitting partner, assuming travel expenses are paid. I love playing tennis, so being paid to do it would be awesome.

tennisaddict
09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Did Maria pay only 50K to Joyce ? She can afford more.

flymeng
09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Did Maria pay only 50K to Joyce ?

I am sure alot more. Maria is raking in big bucks with all the endorsements.:)

Ronaldo
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Did Maria pay only 50K to Joyce ? She can afford more.

He ain't hitting it hard, eh?

klu375
09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Let's say you have a full time job making $100K/year as an engineer. You were a pretty good collegiate player and not settled down yet. Would you take up a job as a pro hitting partner and travel around the world for half the salary? A good example is Michael Joyce, Maria's ex hitting partner. Also, name the players you would like and NOT like to work for.

Michael Joice was not exactly a pretty good college player or an engineer. He was a journeyman professional tennis player. If you like to read good prose you may enjoy this piece:
http://www.esquire.com/features/sports/the-string-theory-0796

flymeng
09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Michael Joice was not exactly a pretty good college player or an engineer. He was a journeyman professional tennis player. If you like to read good prose you may enjoy this piece:
http://www.esquire.com/features/sports/the-string-theory-0796

This is just a hypothesis. I am not saying that Michael Joyce was a collegiate player or an engineer. I knew he was a journeyman player ranked in the top 100 at one time.

Don Felder
09-11-2012, 06:32 PM
In theory, yeah, it'd be fun. In practice though, in today's ultra-competitive job market, it's pretty tough to bow out of a solid professional-track young career like engineering, lawyering, doctoring for a year or three and expect someone to be interested in hiring you when you get back.

Unless you get lucky and interview with a tennis nut, most people will at worst think you're a goofball or at best not have any use for someone who should be in year 3, 4, 5, or 6 of his professional development but is in year 1.5 or 2 because of his little sporting detour. So as a practical matter, it wouldn't be a very good long-term idea imo.

90's Clay
09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Only 50G's? I better get my damn expenses paid for then if I'm traveling around the world

rdis10093
09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I would hands down

OKUSA
09-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I would find it extremely hard to be an engineering major and a college tennis player.

papertank
09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Getting paid 50k to travel around the world and hit with amazing tennis players? That would be insane. I doubt you'd actually be paid that much money as well as travel expenses though.

Ronaldo
09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
What would you pay to travel with Maria K as her hitting partner?

flymeng
09-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Getting paid 50k to travel around the world and hit with amazing tennis players? That would be insane. I doubt you'd actually be paid that much money as well as travel expenses though.

$50K USD is not a lot of dough now a these days. I saw Djoker's current hitting partner (Dusan Vemic) played at a futures tournament in Florida a few year back. I am pretty sure he is getting more than that.

autumn_leaf
09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
depends on how much the traveling is worth to them. I just had a roommate that is an engineering professor from europe and a visiting professor for MIT researching the diffusion of hydrogen in metals. He says he gets taxed about 52-54% of his pay so I can't imagine his take home being any more than 50k after tax. He does love the travel it allows him so it's a major perk for him.

i would probably do it and do some research/publish during the off season when the player takes a vacation so I can say I had a continued to make progress in the field while playing tennis ^.^

HunterST
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Pretty sure most players don't pay for a hitting partner to travel around with them. They just play with other pros, local college players, etc.

If such a position did exist, and my expense were paid for, I'd do it for free.

SoBad
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I would just buy a bunch of bunk beds and list my mt everest house as a hostel on hostelworld and make money that way.