PDA

View Full Version : If the ATP had a suggestions box

Russeljones
09-12-2012, 01:19 AM
I'd say this:

Undo the court speed homogenization. Different Grand Slam tournaments should feel different.

Give the lower ranked players a hope of making a living. The Futures and Challenger tournaments need more juice for starters.

Give us fans more stats, we're crazy about stats.

What would your suggestions be?

Paul Murphy
09-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Speed up the hardcourts - give us some variety again.
Too much baseline bashing.

Boozyuzi
09-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Please take over the running of the US Open..

kOaMaster
09-12-2012, 02:08 AM
- reintroduce the best of 5 in the masters finals (as well as the year end finals).

- go away from this stupid "we have to pay women the same money"-idea.

TennisLovaLova
09-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Agree with previous propositions, I might also add:

- more grass and indoor master series, less clay master series
- roofs everywhere if masters or GS
- move the FO to spain on blue clay
- finals on saturdays instead of sunday (too much competition with other sports like soccer, formula1, etc.)

The Meat
09-12-2012, 06:24 AM
1. More grass tournaments
2. Don't pay any players losing in the first round
3. Less wildcards given
4. No MTO until the set is over
5. Get more competent line judges.

RF20Lennon
09-12-2012, 06:43 AM
ITF controls GS by the way ATP has no control over it

TennisLovaLova
09-12-2012, 06:52 AM
1. More grass tournaments
2. Don't pay any players losing in the first round
3. Less wildcards given
4. No MTO until the set is over
5. Get more competent line judges.

2. FAIL
4. why?
5. only in uso and us master series

augustobt
09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I'd say this:

Undo the court speed homogenization. Different Grand Slam tournaments should feel different.

Give the lower ranked players a hope of making a living. The Futures and Challenger tournaments need more juice for starters.

Your suggestions are great.

The Meat
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
2. FAIL
4. why?
5. only in uso and us master series

2. I was referring to wildcards and normal entries that lose in the first round. Why should wildcards get paid to lose 3-6, 0-6, 0-6 in the first round of a grandslam? Qualifiers should get paid losing in the first round though, because they actually worked for the spot.

4. Tactic of stalling would be eliminated, only life or career damaging injuries deserve a MTO during a set. Just tank the set if you have an injury and then get the MTO during the break, courtesy to the other player.

5. There were some bad line calls at Wimbledon as well, clay season has fewer mistakes because you can actually see the ball mark.

Retaliation
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
No MTO at all! If you can't play tennis, you lose. It must be nice getting a back massage in the middle of a match. If blood is pouring onto the court out of your nose or your shoes, then maybe.

North
09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Agree with previous propositions, I might also add:

- more grass and indoor master series, less clay master series
- roofs everywhere if masters or GS
- move the FO to spain on blue clay
- finals on saturdays instead of sunday (too much competition with other sports like soccer, formula1, etc.)

I woukdn't mind the FO staying in Paris, but the blue clay would be great. Agree with all the rest. Definitely speed up the courts.

forzamilan90
09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
There MUST be a Grass Masters 1000 tournament. Must!

sureshs
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Go back to 65 sq inch wood, gut, and the natural grass and clay surfaces.

Lee James
09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
* Speed up the grass courts
* Shorten the season in order to give guys a true off-season
* Institute some sort of play clock between points to speed up pre-serve rituals
* Spread out the 4 grand slam tournaments more evenly
* Force the USTA to come up with a stadium with a roof
* Force the french to add lights to the courts at Roland Garros

jigar
09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Enforce time violation between points.

JPW
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM
These are some great suggestions. Plenty I hadn't even thought of. I especially agree with:

• Give the lower ranked players a hope of making a living. The Futures and Challenger tournaments need more juice for starters.

I also feel these guys at the challenger and futures level should make enough to make a living. Additionally, I think the Ricky Bobby perception of "if you ain't first, your last" in tennis should go away. Andy Roddick said it best, that is, if you are in the top 15 in the NBA they call you an all-star, but if you are 15th in the ATP sponsors arent' exactly fighting over you.

Additionally, if we are dreaming here, I think there should be much more standardization in tennis. There are just a ridiculous number of different racquets, strings, tennis balls, etc.. In the NBA, they play with one ball, period. In the NFL it is the same thing. In tennis it is all based on that specific tourney. Maybe it pumps more money in the sport, I don't know.

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Three things

1.More money to the lower ranked, some of them make the money of a McDonalds worker. And those are the top 300.

2. More court variety. Longer rallies doesn't equal more exciting tennis, just look at WTF.

3. Bigger grass court season.

mellowyellow
09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd say this:

They need to open draws up to 256 Slams, 128 Masters etc, their are too many that have been LL this year or Quali and went 3-4 rds. This tells me lots of talent being beat down by the system that was designed for half the total people trying to make it. Increase money specifically for those players in the lower rds. No bye rds for anyone except those that final the previous weekend, computers make this a reality that can easily be compensated for. Move the Auso into the calendar by 3 weeks so everyone is up to speed, IMO this is the only thing holding it back from being great year in and out. Its too early and injuries are going to happen because of this, surface can help but being physically match tuff/weak really the problem.

Milan
09-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I'd say this:

from your mouth to god's ears... too bad your want to make a suggestion to a corrupt organization....

Bartelby
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Equal pay for women at slams is a tournament idea.

There are joint events where women are paid more.

Leelord337
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd say this:

I agree with all of your suggestions too btw

*Get rid of the ATP World Tour signs in the middle of the net. It looks cheesy

*Start giving the masters series shields again at masters 1000 tournaments, I don't know why they stopped doing that.

Milan
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Here are mine:

* Speed up Wimbledon, Slow down French Open, keep US Open & Australian Open as is.

* 9 Month Season (3 Months Hard, 3 Months Clay, 3 Months Grass)

* After US Open, Davis Cups Finals, then 2 more tournaments, and Finish Masters Finals Cup by first week of October and call it a year. Give the players rest.

* Promote Minor leagues. Market and create story lines for players from 80-300 in World, put them in better stadiums and give them more prize money (even out prize money among players and don't allow USTA to keep $165 million every year from US Open).

* Treat Men and Women's Events as Separate. Women's Tennis must be able to stand alone, and not be propped up by Men's Tennis.

* NO MORE WILD CARDS

Russeljones
09-12-2012, 08:40 PM
They need to open draws up to 256 Slams, 128 Masters etc, their are too many that have been LL this year or Quali and went 3-4 rds. This tells me lots of talent being beat down by the system that was designed for half the total people trying to make it. Increase money specifically for those players in the lower rds. No bye rds for anyone except those that final the previous weekend, computers make this a reality that can easily be compensated for. Move the Auso into the calendar by 3 weeks so everyone is up to speed, IMO this is the only thing holding it back from being great year in and out. Its too early and injuries are going to happen because of this, surface can help but being physically match tuff/weak really the problem.

hear hear!