PDA

View Full Version : Did Djokovic lose the U.S. Open final because his shorts were too tight?

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Those blue UNIGLO shorts Djokovic was wearing for the US Open final looked really tight on him. The leg openings looked really small and skinny. Could these "skinny" shorts have restricted his movement so that he couldn't stretch, flex, and move as well as he normally could? Is this an extension of the skinny jeans trend? Djokovic relies on his incredible movement and flexibility to amazingly get to almost every ball. Could his tight shorts have restricted his major weapon?

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Novak+Djokovic+2012+Open+Day+10+hUfgVLvuAsAl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Novak+Djokovic+2012+Open+Day+15+ypnNzvF56G0l.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Novak+Djokovic+2012+Open+Day+15+wcN5FU90zSJl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Novak+Djokovic+2012+Open+Day+15+egy0V30wE-Ul.jpg

Clarky21
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Why are you looking so hard? Lol.

sureshs
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Could his tight shorts have restricted his major weapon?

The one concealed by his shorts?

sureshs
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Why are you looking so hard? Lol.

LOL good pun there

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
The one concealed by his shorts?
Perhaps the shorts being so tight, he was playing in discomfort or maybe even pain? :shock:

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I genuinely feel you underestimate how much lean muscle Djokovic has in his legs. In the last few years this bloke's movement has come in leaps and bounds, he is BY FAR the best mover in the game, BY FAR, the best offensive defensive player in the game and the legs are simply a display of this. His training regime and gluten free diet are all contributing to a really strong and aesthetically pleasing lower body.

Boricua
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Nole says that a fashion statement is better than winning a Slam. He is hanging out with the Williams sisters too much.lol

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I genuinely feel you underestimate how much lean muscle Djokovic has in his legs. In the last few years this bloke's movement has come in leaps and bounds, he is BY FAR the best mover in the game, BY FAR, the best offensive defensive player in the game and the legs are simply a display of this. His training regime and gluten free diet are all contributing to a really strong and aesthetically pleasing lower body.

Clarky21
09-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Is there an echo in here or something?

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Mainad
Could his tight shorts have restricted his major weapon?

Ahem...I really couldn't say. I wonder what Jelena thinks? :)

BreakPoint
Exactly! That's why I feel wearing tight and long "skinny" shorts would really restrict his amazing movement and flexibility, and thus, be detrimental to his overall game.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 11:39 AM
No, but there is definitely connection problems with my net. My bad.

sureshs
09-12-2012, 11:40 AM
BP has a point. Nadal hit great topspin due to more freedom of movement with a sleeveless shirt. When I watched the match, I also thought Djokovic looked like he was trapped in his clothes.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Exactly! That's why I feel wearing tight and long "skinny" shorts would really restrict his amazing movement and flexibility, and thus, be detrimental to his overall game.

I don't feel it restricts him, those legs were looking as close to the shorts as they were in the US Open @ the Australian Open. lol

Tommyj
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I'd rather see guys like Djokovic and Fed coming out and making a bit of a fashion statement. Even Rafa looks clean and pressed when he comes out to play a grand slam final. By comparison, Murray looked like he spent the night prior to the final sleeping on a bench in Central Park.

powerangle
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
BP has a point. Nadal hit great topspin due to more freedom of movement with a sleeveless shirt. When I watched the match, I also thought Djokovic looked like he was trapped in his clothes.

Yup, the whole outfit. But I guess moreso the shorts.

underground
09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
It's the UNIQLO curse. Ever since he changed it from Tachini he was destined to never win a slam again. :twisted:

Alchemy-Z
09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Rafa could win it in Capri's lol

sureshs
09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I suppose all of you know that Agassi "revealed" in his book that he did not wear underwear since 1999.

That is why people say that he put it all out there when he played.

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Rafa could win it in Capri's lol
But Nadal's capri pants were not as tight as Djkovic's shorts, and Nadal is not nearly as flexible as Djokovic is.

Alchemy-Z
09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
lol you guys split hairs on everything jeeze

urban
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
No loose balls with this kind of shorts.
Reminds me on a really humorous clip with Sharapova. She should hit a Wilhelm Tell like shot on a can on his head,but instead hit a bit more downside and said with a giggle 'New Balls' sinking to the ground with a big laugh.

LuckyR
09-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Didn't you see during the match that he lost because of his Adidas shoes? Not his shorts.

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/09/11/303298-murray-beats-djokovic.jpg

VPhuc tennis fan
09-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Didn't you see during the match that he lost because of his Adidas shoes? Not his shorts.

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/09/11/303298-murray-beats-djokovic.jpg
He no longers Head shoes? Since when?

TahoeTennis
09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Spandex will be big once again in 2013.

Tight shorts for the win

http://assets.cdn.alldayeveryday.com/assets/1260/agassi.jpg

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 01:11 PM

He's worn Adidas shoes for as long as he's been a pro. Nothing new there. He used to also wear Adidas clothes before Tacchini, remember?

guitarplayer
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
This confirms what we've known all along.....Break Point likes boys.

Cesc Fabregas
09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
He needs to wear light shoes to slide on hardcourts.

Cesc Fabregas
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Particularly one's with one handed backhands.

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I know about tennis shorts because I also wear them. Sorry that I don't know anything about the tennis skirts that you wear. :(

CCNM
09-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm surprised his shorts didn't rip up the back (but then, as a woman, I would have enjoyed that!!! :lol:) I heard a rumor that Lendl didn't wear underpants, either.

Candide
09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Shorts were just right. His *** was way too big.

stormholloway
09-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Do not feed the troll.

Gonzalito17
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Djokovic had no trouble in the earlier rounds, he looked as good as ever. His problem was that Murray played a fantastic fifth set on Monday. Credit to Murray.

beast of mallorca
09-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Hahaha.........BP scares me . Is he one of those ? :oops:

sureshs
09-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Shorts were just right. His *** was way too big.

That would be Nadal

PeteD
09-12-2012, 05:18 PM
It's the UNIQLO curse. Ever since he changed it from Tachini he was destined to never win a slam again. :twisted:

I just got some Uniqlo stuff and it looks good and the prices are really good, but you know something, it is tailored pretty slender.

roundiesee
09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd rather see guys like Djokovic and Fed coming out and making a bit of a fashion statement. Even Rafa looks clean and pressed when he comes out to play a grand slam final. By comparison, Murray looked like he spent the night prior to the final sleeping on a bench in Central Park.

I agree; just don't understand why he doesn't get a "makeover" and look smarter on the court; it would help his image a great deal :(

SoBad
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I am a proud owner of three pairs of uniqlo shorts and they do get tight when you hang out with ppl...

Bartelby
09-12-2012, 06:01 PM
It all depends on the material.

Skinny jeans in 100% cotton may feel tight, but put elastane in the mix and they feel elastic.

So the skinnier you make the clothing, the more they build elasticity into the material.

guitarplayer
09-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Obviously. Another silly thread from a guy who is concerned about another guys shorts being too tight. Then posts a bunch of pics of it. I check out women's tight shorts....but BP......well he proved what he stares at. Creepy. Probably has male player posters all over his walls and one over his bed.

MichaelNadal
09-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Nole says that a fashion statement is better than winning a Slam. He is hanging out with the Williams sisters too much.lol

Lol well Aneres used to accomplish both :)

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Djokovic had no trouble in the earlier rounds, he looked as good as ever. His problem was that Murray played a fantastic fifth set on Monday. Credit to Murray.
The final was the first time he wore those royal blue shorts. In all the other matches he wore different darker colored shorts.

Clarky21
09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
The final was the first time he wore those royal blue shorts. In all the other matches he wore different darker colored shorts.

Man,you must really be looking to notice that. :shock:

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Obviously. Another silly thread from a guy who is concerned about another guys shorts being too tight. Then posts a bunch of pics of it. I check out women's tight shorts....but BP......well he proved what he stares at. Creepy. Probably has male player posters all over his walls and one over his bed.
So you can get ideas for which ones to buy for yourself? :)

Djokovic's shorts are obviously too tight. You don't have to even look very hard to notice. The match lasted for 5 hours for chrissakes, how can you miss it? Shorts that are too tight restrict my movement and of course I don't even move nearly as well as Djokovic. I can imagine that too tight shorts would be even more of a hindrance for him since he relies so much more on his movement. Thus, I can easily see how his shorts could have made a difference in the outcome of a very close match. A couple of points here and there lost due to his restricted movement and the outcome could have been quite different.

BreakPoint
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Man,you must really be looking to notice that. :shock:
Yeah, I'm not color blind. How hard is it to notice the color of someone's clothing? :???:

tusharlovesrafa
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Oooooh! The one who swings both ways,or the one who like guys with major weapon in their pants??:shock:

Sentinel
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Is there an echo in here or something?

lol, no it's just tennis maestro posting multiple times, like he created the same thread in 2 sections yesterday. ;)

Zarfot Z
09-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Why does this thread exist.

SempreSami
09-13-2012, 03:22 AM
Why does this thread exist.

Solely to boost BreakPoint's post count and remain as the centre of attention on these forums.

Zarfot Z
09-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Solely to boost BreakPoint's post count and remain as the centre of attention on these forums.

True.

34,000 posts just looks too good to be true.

Nathaniel_Near
09-13-2012, 03:38 AM
This was UNDOUBTEDLY the reason for this loss.

Paul Murphy
09-13-2012, 03:42 AM
No, but if he's not careful he could lose something else. :)

PrinceMoron
09-13-2012, 03:46 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg/250px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Novak%2BDjokovic%2BSerbia%2Bloses%2Bmen%2Bfinal%2B during%2Bp_Zs4rkmfbhl.jpg

Novak was wearing a shirt made out of the Saltire/flag. Had surrendered before he even started

namelessone
09-13-2012, 04:08 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/11999638.jpg

sureshs
09-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I'm not color blind. How hard is it to notice the color of someone's clothing? :???:

It is the region of the body that you are focusing on that is making us nervous

LuckyR
09-13-2012, 07:26 AM
He's worn Adidas shoes for as long as he's been a pro. Nothing new there. He used to also wear Adidas clothes before Tacchini, remember?

Yes, but not the same pair. The shoes he wore at the USO didn't slide, like he was expecting them to. Did you even see the match?

timeisonmyside
09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Thats why his first serve winning percentage was so low. He had to carry that extra ball in the tight shorts during the point!

merlinpinpin
09-13-2012, 10:25 AM
A five-star thread if I ever saw one, good stuff! :D

BreakPoint
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
It is the region of the body that you are focusing on that is making us nervous
Sounds more to me like it's making YOU and some others here nervous.

I'm secure enough in my own sexuality and mature enough to talk about men's shorts without acting like a junior high juvenile.

BreakPoint
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, but not the same pair. The shoes he wore at the USO didn't slide, like he was expecting them to. Did you even see the match?
Tennis shoes are not supposed to slide on hardcourts. Manufactures spend lots of time and money to specifically design tennis shoes that don't slide on hardcourts so that their customers can quickly stop and change direction and don't fall down all over the court.

Djokovic slides no matter what shoes he's wearing.

PrinceMoron
09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Tennis shoes are not supposed to slide on hardcourts. Manufactures spend lots of time and money to specifically design tennis shoes that don't slide on hardcourts so that their customers can quickly stop and change direction and don't fall down all over the court.

Djokovic slides no matter what shoes he's wearing.

He was looking at his shoes then the surface then his shoes all match. Something wrong there.

beast of mallorca
09-13-2012, 01:31 PM
He was looking at his shoes then the surface then his shoes all match. Something wrong there.

Haha true that ! He is one creepy dude. :twisted:

BreakPoint
09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I re-watched the match and saw Djokovic slip and fall down a few times during the match. Yes, his shoes slid and gave way. So perhaps his shoes didn't have enough traction, not too much traction.

JW10S
09-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Djokovic slides no matter what shoes he's wearing.A big shot at Adidas told me that they are getting requests from their pro players to create soles that make it easier to slide on hardcourts. There are quite a few players that do in fact purposefully slide on hardcourts--it's not because their shoes don't have enough traction.

Disgruntled Worker
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Keep going BP! You'll reach 50,000 some day!

cork_screw
09-14-2012, 01:11 PM
No, I think djokovic played a much more loop/retrieve game. Whereas murray was just hitting through and penetrating the court. His balls had intent, djokovic was spinning shots back and murray wasn't really bothered by this. Djokovic seemed like he never went aggressive enough or took the initiative. He also looked like he played a 5 setter the day before and looked exhausted, but he hadn't been on court that much more than murray. Djokovic seemed like that during the aussie finals against nadal, but at least he found himself in mid match and was hitting with more intent. I didn't see that during the finals and if he started that way he would have won the first set and easily the match. His style of play costed him the match. He was playing the way murray played in every slam before he hired ivan lendl. That type of style of play is sure to result in a disappointing outcome.

stormholloway
09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm secure enough in my own sexuality and mature enough to talk about men's shorts without acting like a junior high juvenile.

You've started a thread insinuating that Djokovic's tight shorts could have been to blame for his loss.

You are not mature, at all.

Service Ace
09-14-2012, 02:19 PM
I slide on hardcourts all the time. It's just a talent chumps, a natural way of maintaining balance while keeping your outside leg down through contact when you're stretched out wide, not something you purposefully control and definitely not anything having to do with your shoes.

BreakPoint
09-14-2012, 04:13 PM
You've started a thread insinuating that Djokovic's tight shorts could have been to blame for his loss.

You are not mature, at all.
Have you ever worn tennis shorts that are both long and tight around your thighs like Djokovic did and played a high level tennis match against a top level player who ran you ragged?

If not, then you have no idea how restricting your stretching and movement by even 10% can change the outcome of the match. If you fail to get back 3 or 4 balls per set because your ability to stretch and your movement were compromise, that could mean the difference between winning or losing a very close match. Rod Laver won the U.S. Open by changing his shoes mid-match because the shoes he was wearing was compromising his movement. After changing his shoes, the match took a 180 degree turn in his favor, after getting crushed before the shoe change, and he eventually won the match.

Yes, it takes a mature person to discuss an insightful and serious topic like this. Whereas, juveniles automatically assume this topic has somehow something to do with sexuality.

jrepac
09-14-2012, 05:33 PM
LOL
this is silly
remember in the early 90's when Connors started the trend wearing the biking shorts under his regular shorts? it caught on fire real fast and then you had Agassi wearing them as did many others. Did not seem like any of them were "restricted".

The blue shorts look kinda comfortable actually...they do not appear to be skin tight, just snug.

LOL

Bartelby
09-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Tight shorts are good for squeeze plays.

BreakPoint
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
LOL
this is silly
remember in the early 90's when Connors started the trend wearing the biking shorts under his regular shorts? it caught on fire real fast and then you had Agassi wearing them as did many others. Did not seem like any of them were "restricted".

The blue shorts look kinda comfortable actually...they do not appear to be skin tight, just snug.

LOL
Biking shorts are made of spandex and stretch A LOT. Djokovic appears to be wearing tennis shorts made of regular tennis shorts material.

The-Champ
09-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Biking shorts are made of spandex and stretch A LOT. Djokovic appears to be wearing tennis shorts made of regular tennis shorts material.

if his shorts were constricting, he would have changed them. Djokovic is not mentally ********. stop with your excuses.

RF20Lennon
09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
LOL i remember in the semis against fed at the USO 2010 he kept hitting his shoes like crazy and his head!! it was hilarious!

BreakPoint
09-14-2012, 07:45 PM
if his shorts were constricting, he would have changed them. Djokovic is not mentally ********. stop with your excuses.
Um...yet he didn't change his shoes even though he was tripping in them and slipping in them. And Adidas doesn't even pay him to wear its shoes.

Change his shorts to what? Uniqlo is paying him millions to wear those exact shorts. He has no choice but to wear them. Did Murray change his Adidas shorts mid-match when tennis balls kept popping out of them causing him to lose points?

The-Champ
09-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Um...yet he didn't change his shoes even though he was tripping in them and slipping in them. And Adidas doesn't even pay him to wear its shoes.

Change his shorts to what? Uniqlo is paying him millions to wear those exact shorts. He has no choice but to wear them. Did Murray change his Adidas shorts mid-match when tennis balls kept popping out of them causing him to lose points?

first of all you have no proof his shorts were limiting his movement. If they were, he could have changed his shorts to the ones he used to thrash the opponents he had before the final. Those were Uniqlo shorts as well.

FXhubby
09-14-2012, 09:14 PM
HaHa.... This is too funny!!!... I think this is the new trend. Skinny shorts are on and here to stay. Murray's shorts where also kind of tight if I remember correctly

sureshs
09-15-2012, 09:57 AM

He did not realize that till he read this thread.

BreakPoint
09-15-2012, 10:05 AM
first of all you have no proof his shorts were limiting his movement. If they were, he could have changed his shorts to the ones he used to thrash the opponents he had before the final. Those were Uniqlo shorts as well.
Try wearing tennis shorts that are two sizes smaller than you normally wear so that they are skin tight around your thighs and butt and play a high level competitive match with them and see if they restrict your movement even a bit more than your regular tennis shorts do. It's obvious that wearing pants that tight would be more restrictive to your movement and stretching than looser pants would.

sureshs
09-15-2012, 10:06 AM
That is why in Hawaii everyone uses the "hang loose" sign.