PDA

View Full Version : Top ten reasons why we like Murray

sureshs
09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
1. We have seen him grow up in front of us, from a guy with little stamina to a Slam winner
2. He has cried many times thus triggering our sympathy for him
3. He is clearly not as good as Federer or Nadal, and so we do not get jealous
4. He doesn't have the muscles of Nadal and so men do not feel jealous of him
5. He is the underdog who failed so many times that we feel that he deserves to win at least once
6. We feel bad that the English invented modern tennis but no one from UK had won a Slam since Fred Perry, in spite of the valiant Wimbledon effort they put up every year
7. He cannot be arrogant like Federer because he is just not good enough
8. He cannot hit arrogant topspin like Nadal because he is just not good enough
9. Unlike Federer, he is subservient to an authoritative older tyrannical coach like Lendl and we like his obedient nature which reinforces social hierarchy
10. He vaguely reminds us of British royalty

Mainad
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
He vaguely reminds us of British royalty

No way. He never gets drunk and dances around in the nude with loads of girls he's never met before, whenever he's in the US. He's much too boring. And none of them have ever won a Grand Slam after waiting for 76 years either!

sureshs
09-12-2012, 12:40 PM
11. His mother looks pretty plain and makes comments about Deliciano, so suburban women identify with her and find her non-threatening

Tennis_Hands
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Because of his dental plan.

Hood_Man
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I like him because he's an introvert like me, so I can identify with him.

Among other things :)

Torres
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
11. Because he's come through adversity to triumph, where those previous 'almost' matches would have demoralized other players.
12. Because he's genuine and doesn't put on an 'act' for the cameras or the media.

Matthew Syed
Last updated at 12:01AM, September 12 2012

Andy Murray is unique. He is the only living British male winner of a grand-slam tournament, for a start. A tennis player of grit, courage, astonishing reserves of energy and the psychological tenacity to close out a final while carrying the doubts of millions, not least his own.
But he is unique in another, more subtle way. In a celebrity culture where sportspeople love to say the right thing in the right way, where they are often coached to say the right thing in the right way, Murray is gloriously un-spun. When it comes to image, he doesn’t give a fig.
In that way, as in many others, he takes after Ivan Lendl, his coach. Lendl was a fine tennis player who cared about one thing above all: winning. He knew, at some level of consciousness, that if he smiled during press conferences and ingratiated himself to interviewers, he would get a better deal from the public, and more money from sponsors.

But he didn’t care. He is not the kind of person who would be seen dead talking about his “brand” or having a soft-focus photoshoot [Take note Wozniacki]. He wanted to win tennis matches and, more than that, to be himself. One of the deep ironies of celebrity culture is its inherent deception. Anybody who has spent more than ten minutes in a television green room will have noticed that the vast majority of famous people, when you meet them in the flesh, bear no resemblance to their public personas [That's you Tiger]. Those who are supposed to be soft and generous are invariably edgy and selfish (and self-obsessed). After a while, you stop being surprised.

But every now and again you meet people who are themselves. They are so oblivious to the demands of contemporary celebrity that they say what they think on camera and make decisions that are based upon honesty rather than what will play best with Middle England. Murray is one of those people. He is said to be nicer in the flesh than on television, but only because the bar for the latter is set so high by his image-obsessed contemporaries.

Murray doesn’t try to hide his rough edges. His hair is scruffy. His clothes are often grungy. He shouts and fumes rather a lot on court. He has tried to reduce this latter tendency, of course, but emphatically not for reasons of image. That would be inauthentic and out of character.
Rather, he worries that, by indulging in “bad body language”, it might affect his inner equilibrium, and damage his chances of winning. That is what Murray ultimately cares about: winning tennis matches. He has not always been popular. Perhaps, given his level of success, he remains less popular than might be expected. He has sacked coaches, changed agents and upset practice partners.

He grimaces rather a lot, too. Some people also seem to dislike his mother, because she pumps her fists when he wins points, and bares her teeth. But Judy, like Andy, is charming in the flesh. She is a mother with warmth and a striking generosity of spirit.
But she doesn’t care about image, either. Murray’s match against Novak Djokovic, which finished in the early hours of yesterday, was a game-changer in a sporting sense.

It has ended the long wait for a British winner of a grand-slam event and has cemented Murray’s place in the highest echelon of the world game. Like so many finals in this golden age of men’s tennis, the contest had epic qualities, fine hitting, creativity and kaleidoscopic changes in narrative.

Murray looked defeated when the admirable Serb fought back from two sets down, but proved his indomitability at the beginning of the final set. He has sometimes been painted as a loser, having failed in four previous grand-slam finals, but this was always a facile label. It took no account of the titans he has been up against. Yesterday, when his opportunity beckoned, he seized it with gusto. He is on the verge of greatness.
But will his grand-slam victory be a game-changer in terms of his relationship with the public? Many love Murray already, of course. That poignant moment after losing the final at Wimbledon in July, when he showed us the maelstrom of emotions inside, and when Kim Sears, his girlfriend, bit her lip in a futile attempt to halt the tears, was touching and profound. His heroics in the Olympics, also held in SW19, added to the change in public feeling. But there is still a sense that he is yet to be embraced with undiluted fervour.

Message boards retain a certain equivocation, even bitterness. People criticise the monotone when he answers questions and condemn him for being just a little too sullen. They compare him unfavourably with people who have a smile permanently engraved on their lips. But shouldn’t we recognise that the cuddliness of many modern celebrities is merely a function of good acting?

And shouldn’t we cut Murray a bit of slack for refusing to play this facile game? For my part, I would argue that we should be proud of Murray in almost every respect. From a small town in Scotland, he has reached the summit of one of the most competitive sports on the planet through sacrifice, commitment and oodles of self-belief. It is a journey infused with inspiration and hope.
His family have been with him every step of the way, nurturing him with love, sacrifice and humour. Jamie, Judy and Will (Andy’s father) are all, in their various ways, remarkable people, too.

To win the Olympics was impressive enough. To win the US Open, too, after those bitter disappointments in Australia and at Wimbledon was astonishing. For the moment, he is the most brilliant tennis player in the world and takes his place among the most accomplished British sportsmen of the modern age.

It is time to stop fretting about his voice, his hair, his tantrums and his relationship with his mother (which, for the record, is perfectly normal and healthy) and to embrace him without inhibition. But perhaps the most extraordinary and endearing thing of all about Murray is that, even if we don’t, he won’t much care.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Andy Murray may be shy but he is more likable for it. He is modest, kind, funny and the best British player Britain has ever had. Tennis in the 30's is hardly comparable with today's game. Murray is world class. Murray is the best Britain has ever seen representing us.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I like him because he's an introvert like me, so I can identify with him.

Among other things :)

No way is he an introvert bro, he's jus shy in front of the cameras.

Legend of Borg
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
No way is he an introvert bro, he's jus shy in front of the cameras.

Do you see Murray as a party going, sociable type?

I see more introverted qualities in him, personally.

oy vey
09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Do you see Murray as a party going, sociable type?

I see more introverted qualities in him, personally.

Yes, his main interest is playstation 7 hours a day.

Legend of Borg
09-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Do you define extrovertism as only people who go out partying and shit?

I don't, although extroverts are more likely to be drawn to these activities.

What leads you to believe he's not introverted?

Hood_Man
09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
The best definition of the difference between an Extrovert and an Introvert that I've heard, is while an Extrovert feels energised in social situations, an Introvert can feel worn out by them.

That's not to suggest all extroverts are party animals, neither does it mean introverts can't let their hair down sometimes. I can laugh and muck around with my mates, it just sometimes feels like an effort to me, and often I just need to spend more time by myself alone with my thoughts.

I recognise the same qualities in Murray as well.

MurrayMyInspiration
09-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah I see Murray as more of an introvert....Hood Man...I feel like you are me haha!!

Sky_Boy
09-12-2012, 02:13 PM
1. We have seen him grow up in front of us, from a guy with little stamina to a Slam winner
5. He is the underdog who failed so many times that we feel that he deserves to win at least once
6. We feel bad that the English invented modern tennis but no one from UK had won a Slam since Fred Perry, in spite of the valiant Wimbledon effort they put up every year
9. Unlike Federer, he is subservient to an authoritative older tyrannical coach like Lendl and we like his obedient nature which reinforces social hierarchy

Did my thread about him scratching got deleted?

Mainad
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM

It would appear so.

WhiskeyEE
09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
At least 3 of the top 4 are introverts. Not sure about Djokovic.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
You people are jus labelling too much. Roger is certainly NOT an introvert. He is merely introverted on court.

sureshs
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Yes I think it was scratched out.

WhiskeyEE
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
You people are jus labelling too much. Roger is certainly NOT an introvert. He is merely introverted on court.

No, he certainly is one.

"you people are just labelling too much."

...proceeds to label

Legend of Borg
09-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Maybe so, but realistically we can't really tell that much from the persona they present on television.

Only people who are close to them can be the best judge of their personalities.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
No, he certainly is one.

"you people are just labelling too much."

...proceeds to label

Roger Federer is the best player to give interviews, he is articulate, engages with the interviewer, shows eye-contact, shares a joke and acts very calm and looks much as ease whilst effortlessly showing charm. Are you absolutely insane?Federer is probably one of the most down-to-earth World number 1s the game has ever had. Not player needs to be like Aggasi to be regarded as an extrovert.

Murray being an introvert can be seen, although, for me, he is probably very much an inbetweener in that respect, as I have no doubt in my mind that when he is in and around his inner circle of friends he lets loose.

Federer though, no question ever that this guy is outgoing in any setting other than when on a tennis court.

Nadal? Introvert, unquestionably.

Djokovic is a no brainer.

WhiskeyEE
09-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Roger Federer is the best player to give interviews, he is articulate, engages with the interviewer, shows eye-contact, shares a joke and acts very calm and looks much as ease whilst effortlessly showing charm. Are you absolutely insane?Federer is probably one of the most down-to-earth World number 1s the game has ever had. Not player needs to be like Aggasi to be regarded as an extrovert.

Murray being an introvert can be seen, although, for me, he is probably very much an inbetweener in that respect when he is in and around his inner circle of friends.

Federer though, no question ever that this guy is outgoing in any setting other than when on a tennis court.

You apparently don't know what an introvert is. Fed is all of those things, but he's methodical about it and is quite obviously inside of his head when he's talking. Not all introverts are awkward and aloof.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM
You apparently don't know what an introvert is. Fed is all of those things, but he's methodical about it and is quite obviously inside of his head when he's talking.

Absolute rubbish. You are the one that doesn't know what an introvert is. You allow your own journey in society up until now to make your own meaning of the word.

Inside his own head? When you talk you generally engage your brain, which is inside your own head, then you speak. What do you mean by inside his own head? Please stop talking crap. So what if he is methodical when he speaks? That simply means he has tact. Seriously, what you are saying is absolute rubbish.

WhiskeyEE
09-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Absolute rubbish. You are the one that doesn't know what an introvert is. You allow your own journey through society up until now to make your own meaning of the word.

Inside his own head? When you talk you generally engage your brain, which is inside your own head and then talk. What do you mean by inside his own head? Please stop talking crap. So what if he is methodical when he speaks? That simply means he has tact. Seriously, what you are saying is absolute rubbish.

Buddy you're a joke. Just give it up.

Introversion has to do with your state of mind. Fed is quite obviously an introvert with good communication skills.

Charismatic introvert: Fed
Awkward introvert: Nadal
Somehwere in-between: Murray
Extrovert: Roddick

sureshs
09-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Are the Bryan brothers extroverts?

Be careful about labeling Roddick and Bryans as exos and Fed/Nadal/Murray as inos.

You will see that it becomes Americans and Europeans. In the US, communication skills are emphasized and cultivated from childhood (especially for females) and it is considered rude to be quiet. In other countries, it is the opposite - talkative people are looked down on and silence is considered to be an indication of profound wisdom. (But there may be exceptions like Mark Twain said of someone "he is a man of few words because he has nothing to say")

Also include the fact that English is not the first language of Fed or Nadal. Maybe not for Murray either hehehe.

Make sure you account for all these factors.

Legend of Borg
09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Murray being an introvert can be seen, although, for me, he is probably very much an inbetweener in that respect, as I have no doubt in my mind that when he is in and around his inner circle of friends he lets loose.

Suggesting that introversion = you can't possess the before mentioned qualities?

Some introverts have excellent social skills and don't have trouble blending in.

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions floating around concerning this group of people.

Tennis_Maestro
09-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Buddy you're a joke. Just give it up.

Introversion has to do with your state of mind. Fed is quite obviously an introvert with good communication skills.

Charismatic introvert: Fed
Awkward introvert: Nadal
Somehwere in-between: Murray
Extrovert: Roddick

Absolute rubbish. Did you not see Roddick's farewell speech? lol This guy is as awkward as Nadal @ times. You really only see the surface.

Hood_Man
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah I see Murray as more of an introvert....Hood Man...I feel like you are me haha!!

We can be Intro-Bros :p

Or something :oops:

Feņa14
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
His sense of humour, people don't really get to see it, but it's great. The joke about the 2006 World Cup was something people do all the time, it's funny. His interviews on court after the Australian Open were the best of the tournament.

His game, the way he mixes it up and wins matches with his head. The way he surprises us sometimes, the 135+ mph aces out of nowhere, the 124mph forehands, some of the biggest backhands i've ever seen.

The way he never gives up, I watch every match and after all the gut wrenching disappointments, he comes back and puts himself and us through it again. You can always rely on him and finally winning a major makes it even more special.

etc...

SoBad
09-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I love the angry ******** crooked-tooth murray because i am british and he got lucky and won a slam.

フェデラー
09-12-2012, 05:20 PM
11. His mother looks pretty plain and makes comments about Deliciano, so suburban women identify with her and find her non-threatening

It would be better if she swooned over Nadal.

roundiesee
09-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I like point number 9 best! :)

SoBad
09-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Fred should bid on Lendl if he wants a remote chance of a slam next year.

ledwix
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I remember seeing Murray win his first title, San Jose in 2006 against Hewitt. I wanted a Hewitt Roddick final since that was the best rivaly I could think of at the time, but Murray upset Roddick in the semis. Fedal finals had not even started yet o.O It has been a while.

Sky_Boy
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
It would appear so.

Any idea where i can discuss that on?

Sentinel
09-13-2012, 01:17 AM
We can be Intro-Bros :p

Or something :oops:

You and MurrayMyInspiration can have an "intromance" ;) - bromance between introverts !

BHud
09-13-2012, 06:14 AM
#13 He too has a hot honey (like Djoker, Nads, Hewitt, Roddick, Fish, Tomic, Berdych, etc...)

Govnor
09-13-2012, 06:23 AM
I like how he gets so mad at himself after mistakes, and can hardly control it. It's more "human" than most other pros and I think a lot of us part timers can relate.

Russeljones
09-13-2012, 06:26 AM

I started with the intention of highlighting (the red stuff) what I didn't agree with. Then I realized the OP is trolling.

TennisLovaLova
09-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Op is funny
I'd also add that no one before has his dogs wear olympic medals
and that was sick by murray.
His twitter account is awesome btw

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/pets/news/120820/andy-murray-600.jpg