PDA

View Full Version : Head Pro Stock Really Worth It?

JDMasFCK
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, planning on getting a Head TGT 293.2, and was wondering if they were really worth it? Like is there a night and day difference between the TGT 293.2 and the retail frame Youtek IG Prestige MP? Currently using the retail Youtek IG Prestige MP and was wondering how much different the pro stock is. Also say for example if I were to get the TGT 293.2 (not the XL version, the regular length) and I took off all the lead in the grommet and leather grip and tried to match the specs of the pro stock to the retail Youtek IG Prestige MP, would there be a clear difference between them despite the fact that I tried to make both rackets the same? Also wondering what benefits the Pro Stock has over the regular retail frame.

Thanks a bunch

rlau
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Pro stock frames often have different flex ratings and flex points compared to regular retail frames. Also, the layup may be different. So even with identical weights, swingweights and balances, a pro stock frame and a retail frame will probably feel and perform slightly different.

Blaxican10s
09-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't think they are worth the ridiculous amounts that people pay for them. Especially for the average rec play who is about a 3.5 level player. Sure they're softer but they don't make you play any better.

movdqa
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Reasons for getting pro stocks:

- You want matched frames
- You want a lighter hairpin to work with
- You like the way they are set up
- They were used by your favorite pro
- You want something to hang on your wall
- You want characteristics that are hard to find in retail racquets that you can find in a specific pro stock
- You want extended length frames
- You want a molded or articulated grip
- You want a heavier version and don't want to put silicone and lead in yourself
- You have 1,000 shares of Apple or Google and you need to do something with your profits from Mr. Bernanke's comments today

ART ART
09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Reasons for getting pro stocks:

Some people want to make good money without much effort...

"...a fool and his money..."

movdqa
09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know about that. Selling Pro Stocks seems to be a moderate amount of effort and you do take some amount of pricing risk as we've seen most of this year.

ART ART
09-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know about that. Selling Pro Stocks seems to be a moderate amount of effort and you do take some amount of pricing risk as we've seen most of this year.

Let me say just this: All racket brands, give a lot of rackets for free to players.

One just need to know one or more players with contract, and ask them for some "free" rackets, and put them on sell on every site ...

This costs nothing!
This hasn't got any risks!

terg
09-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Pro stocks are overrated.
Especially the tgk and tgt from head. They are just lighter hairpins of the retail model, nothing more nothing less.
I'm not talking about special racquets made for murray, djoko etc. that's a whole different story.

aimr75
09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Especially the tgk and tgt from head. They are just lighter hairpins of the retail model, nothing more nothing less.
I'm not talking about special racquets made for murray, djoko etc. that's a whole different story.

for the most part yes, though there are some out there with different drill patterns.. like the Berdych and Cilic frames

movdqa
09-13-2012, 05:34 PM
There's no retail counterpart for the Cilic frame, correct? And it's supposed to be quite soft.

aimr75
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
There's no retail counterpart for the Cilic frame, correct? And it's supposed to be quite soft.

I thought it was the MG Radical MP mould with a 16x19 pattern

Not sure what the flex is for the MG Rad MP, but yeah, ive heard the Cilic frame is soft, pt57a soft

movdqa
09-13-2012, 05:51 PM
> I thought it was the MG Radical MP mould with a 16x19 pattern

Could be. That was before my time.

> Not sure what the flex is for the MG Rad MP, but yeah, ive heard
> the Cilic frame is soft, pt57a soft

That's what Vidda said and he's sold a ton of them so he should know.

aimr75
09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
> I thought it was the MG Radical MP mould with a 16x19 pattern

Could be. That was before my time.

> Not sure what the flex is for the MG Rad MP, but yeah, ive heard
> the Cilic frame is soft, pt57a soft

That's what Vidda said and he's sold a ton of them so he should know.

Yeah, i have a 231.3 coming in, so will see if it is as soft as pt57a's as ive used them before

JDMasFCK
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM

What do you mean my "lighter hairpins"? Also what are the differences between the PT57a and the TGT293.2? Currently debating between those two. Trying to find both in the Youtek IG Prestige paintjob and 18 x 20 string pattern

sureshs
09-13-2012, 07:23 PM
"...a fool and his money..."

.... are soon partying

movdqa
09-13-2012, 07:31 PM
> What do you mean my "lighter hairpins"?

The hairpin is the racquet frame not including bumper, strings, pallet, grip, buttcap. Pro Stocks have lighter hairpins to give you more flexibility in building a frame.

> Also what are the differences between the PT57a and the
> TGT293.2?

tgt293.2 is the pro stock version of the IG Prestige MP. The PT57a is from the Prestige line but far more flexible than recent retail frames.

> Currently debating between those two. Trying to find both in the
> Youtek IG Prestige paintjob and 18 x 20 string pattern

The 293.2 should cost you a lot less.

You will not find the 293.2 in Youtek though - I think that the 293.2 is one of those frames where the paintjob is part of the code. Just like the tgk238.4 only comes in YT Prestige MP paintjob.

Big John
09-13-2012, 07:50 PM
I have a feeling that Cilic 231.3 might be similar to the 269.1 (Pro Stock Youtek Radical Pro) around that 58/59 flex mark. Major difference is the squarer beam on the Microgel's compared to the Youtek. The 260.2 (pro stock Youtek Radical MP with open pattern ie - Berdych) seems to be a bit stiffer. I think that the 233.1 (Pro Stock Microgel Radical Pro) and 231.1/2/3 are very much under rated by many. The 233.1 in particular has a larger head (I think in reality perhaps a 104 inch head?) and with its stiffer frame and the really open pattern from the larger frame and thin beam is a relatively unique racquet.

The subsequent Radical Pro's have smaller heads, the 260.4 (IG Radical Pro) seemed to me to have very little pop, was quite underwhelmed by it. Felt more like a prestige than a radical to me, maybe it is the capped bumper messing with my head? :) The lower swingweight in comparison to the Youtek certainly made it a racquet more people could use, but it doesn't seem to hit that heavy ball that the Youtek did?

JDMasFCK
09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
> What do you mean my "lighter hairpins"?

The hairpin is the racquet frame not including bumper, strings, pallet, grip, buttcap. Pro Stocks have lighter hairpins to give you more flexibility in building a frame.

> Also what are the differences between the PT57a and the
> TGT293.2?

tgt293.2 is the pro stock version of the IG Prestige MP. The PT57a is from the Prestige line but far more flexible than recent retail frames.

> Currently debating between those two. Trying to find both in the
> Youtek IG Prestige paintjob and 18 x 20 string pattern

The 293.2 should cost you a lot less.

You will not find the 293.2 in Youtek though - I think that the 293.2 is one of those frames where the paintjob is part of the code. Just like the tgk238.4 only comes in YT Prestige MP paintjob.

Thanks a bunch! :D

teatennis
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
yes he was the best player

Hotrocks
09-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I have 3 Pro Stock 238.5 TKG's, weighted up as the retail version, 325 strung and 6pts. head light. I also have the PT630, I-Prestige, You-Tek and 4 IG prestige pro's. I have to say the IG Prestige(stock) plays better than the pro stock frames, my opinion only as we all differ. I fail to believe by adding lead in the hoop area has more integrity than a racquet with same manufactured weight. Manufacture weight meaning all the materials(graphite, etc) combined / lead on the hoop and silicone in the handle. Most pro's use racquets in excess of 325 grams, so why not customize from there, much stronger frame. Just my thoughts as we all have different tastes & feel.

dr325i
09-22-2012, 01:06 PM

I love when someone comes here and just writes junk that a few others stated in one way or the other, without understanding the content...

There are TGK and TGT frames that you cannot find in the retail form -- 260.2 -- YT Radical MP 16x19. The Cilic TGK is a totally different layup from the retail frame. The old Wawrinka 238.3 is a totally different layup...

Also, if you have ever played with the siliconed + leaded frame, you would not claim "nothing more and nothing less" about them -- it totally changes the feel, SW and so on of the racket. You can get the TGK/TGT to the SW, balance and weight combination where the retail cannot go...

Therefore, for some, they are golden, for some, they are just the glorified retail...

Furthermore, to the OP, other Pro Stock sticks, like PT57A for example have more advantages -- hairpin weight/available customization with the control, comfort and power combination... If you can handle it, it is a wonderful stick. Not for everyone, though, due to the restricted sweet spot...

dr325i
09-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I have 3 Pro Stock 238.5 TKG's, weighted up as the retail version, 325 strung and 6pts. head light. I also have the PT630, I-Prestige, You-Tek and 4 IG prestige pro's. I have to say the IG Prestige(stock) plays better than the pro stock frames, my opinion only as we all differ. I fail to believe by adding lead in the hoop area has more integrity than a racquet with same manufactured weight. Manufacture weight meaning all the materials(graphite, etc) combined / lead on the hoop and silicone in the handle. Most pro's use racquets in excess of 325 grams, so why not customize from there, much stronger frame. Just my thoughts as we all have different tastes & feel.

What is the strung weight of your retail IGPP? 345g, 6pt HL. Most Pro rackets that I have seen are 355-365g strung with OG WITH silicone and lead. That would let you put <5g of silicone in your retail racket, which is...nothing.
Pros love the silicone feel. Therefore, this is a simple answer to your retail racket customization idea. Furthermore, some like it less HL, adding the lead around the hoop...
There are many reasons why to start with a 25g lighter hairpin.

dgoran
09-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Hej Doc my stock retail IG Radical Pro spot on as advertised:

Unstrung 310 32.1
Strung je 334gr 32.9 cm so bal 4.5pts head light

BTW bit cu u Dallasu Oct 2-5 jel ces biti tamo?

dr325i
09-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Hej Doc my stock retail IG Radical Pro spot on as advertised:

Unstrung 310 32.1
Strung je 334gr 32.9 cm so bal 4.5pts head light

BTW bit cu u Dallasu Oct 2-5 jel ces biti tamo?

Odlicno, bicu ovde do 6, palim za Japan onda.
Obavezno se javi!

chrischris
09-24-2012, 06:42 AM
My feeling is that pro stocks are better in comfort and feel but some pc 600 and pt 600 and pt280s/pt630s are quite similiar .

Blaxican10s
09-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Just played a guy over the weekend who showed up showing off his nice shiny PT57As and I took my retail Pure Drive Roddick frames and put a 6-2, 6-2 beating on him. We weren't even done playing yet before he was mumbing about his frames feeling like mush...

floydcouncil
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Just played a guy over the weekend who showed up showing off his nice shiny PT57As and I took my retail Pure Drive Roddick frames and put a 6-2, 6-2 beating on him. We weren't even done playing yet before he was mumbing about his frames feeling like mush...

NICE!!! Great job with a "tweener" frame. :)

OnyxZ28
09-24-2012, 09:00 AM

That was your chance to offer him 20 bucks for the rackets!

chrischris
09-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Ok, to prove your point , give the guy a chance to hit with your PD Roddicks while you use the PT57a bats and repeat the beatdown 2 and 2:)

movdqa
09-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I imagine someone going from a PDR to a PK Redondo would have the same problem.

Blaxican10s
09-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok, to prove your point , give the guy a chance to hit with your PD Roddicks while you use the PT57a bats and repeat the beatdown 2 and 2:)

I play him on Thursday, I fully expect to see him with either a new string job or new frames all together. :) I'll offer him the chance to play mine before we start ;)

World Class Forehand
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
What pro stock code is Berdych playing with?

aimr75
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM

They are racquets, not magical wands. If you're a better player than that got you the win regardless of whether you used a retail racquet or roddicks personal frame. You would suffer the sane beat down against a more competent player using his pt's. The pro stock just gives you a particular feel and playing characteristic which you either like or don't like, nothing more.

aimr75
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Berdych uses a 260.2

JDMasFCK
09-24-2012, 06:34 PM
They are racquets, not magical wands. If you're a better player than that got you the win regardless of whether you used a retail racquet or roddicks personal frame. You would suffer the sane beat down against a more competent player using his pt's. The pro stock just gives you a particular feel and playing characteristic which you either like or don't like, nothing more.

Totally agree..

chrischris
09-25-2012, 04:05 AM
I play him on Thursday, I fully expect to see him with either a new string job or new frames all together. :) I'll offer him the chance to play mine before we start ;)

Ok, there you go. Let us know how it went Thursday!!

I Heart Thomas Muster
09-25-2012, 09:02 AM
I hit with a TGK 238.4 this weekend modified with silicone and lead and I was very underwhelmed. Admittedly my expectations might have been a bit high as I was expecting a ton of plow through and a smooth feel. It's my friend's racquet and I haven't put it on the Tuning Center yet to get the specs but after about ten minutes I went back to my YT Rad Pros which felt much more stable and soft. The pro stock had a tinny feel and was more harsh feeling than my Rad Pros.

I am unfamiliar with all the codes and the playing characteristics they designate so maybe the TGK 238.4 is a stiffer pro stock which doesn't work well for me.

vsbabolat
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
I hit with a TGK 238.4 this weekend modified with silicone and lead and I was very underwhelmed. Admittedly my expectations might have been a bit high as I was expecting a ton of plow through and a smooth feel. It's my friend's racquet and I haven't put it on the Tuning Center yet to get the specs but after about ten minutes I went back to my YT Rad Pros which felt much more stable and soft. The pro stock had a tinny feel and was more harsh feeling than my Rad Pros.

I am unfamiliar with all the codes and the playing characteristics they designate so maybe the TGK 238.4 is a stiffer pro stock which doesn't work well for me.

TGK238.4 is just a Pro Stock YT Prestige MP. Your description is how the retail YT Prestige MP plays. They are not magic wands!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and YT Radical Pro is softer than the YT Prestige MP.

movdqa
09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
The tgk238.4 is a YT Prestige MP. I find that they feel awful at very low weights but I like them at my comfortable spec range. The tgk238.4 is a platform - you can do whatever you want with it.

I have two tgk260.2s as well - leaded up to 13 ounces. I'm sure that they play nothing like the YT Radical MPs in stock form.

I think that the Radical line was softer than the Prestige line in the YTs.

VSB's description of the YT Prestige is brassy.

World Class Forehand
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
What is the difference between a TGK 260.2 and a TGT 260.2?

Just the cosmetics/paintjob?

movdqa
09-26-2012, 11:33 AM
The only thing that I've seen on it is that they are produced in different factories.

leoresende2007
09-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Where can i get one? How much it problably will be?

movdqa
09-29-2012, 05:58 PM
The Strings Forums is a good place to get them. They can run $150 in poor condition to $1,000 for a big name player. In some cases, you can get pro stocks for the same price as their retail counterpart.

Arize
09-04-2013, 08:21 PM

This is incorrect...

I know this is an old post but I feel the need to post my experience. TGK, TGT models are not lighter hairpins of the retails. TGK and TGT are made with graphite and other resin mixtures and do not have things like microgel, youtek or innegra in them this is why they come out so much lighter compared to a retail frame. I have played with YOUTEK Prestige MP side to side with a TGK 238.4 which I use at the moment and the TGK feels a million times better in terms of feel and plays a lot better which I assume is due to the material such as graphite in the frames.

vsbabolat
09-05-2013, 03:48 AM
This is incorrect...

I know this is an old post but I feel the need to post my experience. TGK, TGT models are not lighter hairpins of the retails. TGK and TGT are made with graphite and other resin mixtures and do not have things like microgel, youtek or innegra in them this is why they come out so much lighter compared to a retail frame. I have played with YOUTEK Prestige MP side to side with a TGK 238.4 which I use at the moment and the TGK feels a million times better in terms of feel and plays a lot better which I assume is due to the material such as graphite in the frames.

Thats not why they come out lighter. I have experience in this as well.

president.s
09-05-2013, 04:07 AM
vs please check this if you have time. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=475414

Arize
09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Thats not why they come out lighter. I have experience in this as well.

It seems like the most logical reason since I really think the retail frames do feel nothing like the TGK to me. What is your though on TGK and retail do they feel the same to you and what is the reason behind them coming out lighter?

Overdrive
09-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Someone on the bay was selling 2 of Donald Young's Head pro stock frames for around 700 each... :roll:

SFrazeur
09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I really do not see how pro stock racquets are worth it. We have many confirmed cases of pros using retail stock racquets customized to their specs. If "off the rack" is good enough for them then it's fine for the rest of us. But if someone wants to blow $500+ on a racquet and think that will improve their play then that's their money and business therein.

cork_screw
09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
don't do it. pro stocks are a waste of money.

Overdrive
09-05-2013, 01:24 PM
don't do it. pro stocks are a waste of money.

Nah, I'm gonna spend $1400 plus shipping on some obsolete Donald Young frames. :lol:

president.s
09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Fisrt of all 700 is indeed a lot of money. Everyone has a fair amount in his mind and the rackets worth that extra amount than retail. they are much lighter so that players can customize them to thei exact specs. TGKs and retail do not feel the same. In retail the materials are distributed in a different way in order to reach the specs of the racket.

hrstrat57
09-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Buy 2 head mg radical mp's from TW. Also buy some 1/4 strip lead tape from TW. Cut 8 total four inch strips for your 2 shiny new frames and place em at 3/9 inside the hoop. Buy 2 Babolat leather grips also from TW. I suggest you ask TW to string with intellitour at 57# for starters. Super low tension full bed poly works good too. I suggest 18 g MSV focus hex you pick what you like but 40# is very sweet with the 18x20 pattern.

Replace the stock grip with the leather. You have just spent about $225 and you are as close to Prostock as you can get!

Life is good!

Power Player
09-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Those MG radicals are not the same. New batch, and most people say they don't have the same quality. It's not going to feel like a pro stock racquet.

I owned a TGK. It flexed differently, but the materials were the same as retail.

If you want a pro stock frame, buy the Tfight 315.

vsbabolat
09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
It seems like the most logical reason since I really think the retail frames do feel nothing like the TGK to me. What is your though on TGK and retail do they feel the same to you and what is the reason behind them coming out lighter?

I'll say this, when you remove the pallets of a retail frame and see the same corresponding engineering code that a Pro Stock has. Its not a coincidence. Also the reason its lighter because they are made without the commercial weights that are put in frames during the manufacturing process. Its the same reason why a IG Radical MP is lighter than a IG Prestige MP.

ART ART
09-06-2013, 05:38 AM
vsbabolat: And concerning the materials used in prostock and in retail versions ? - Are they the same ?

hrstrat57
09-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Those MG radicals are not the same. New batch, and most people say they don't have the same quality. It's not going to feel like a pro stock racquet.

I owned a TGK. It flexed differently, but the materials were the same as retail.

If you want a pro stock frame, buy the Tfight 315.

Agree on the Tfight but a much more expensive proposition to match up a pair of those. That is the route I would take tho if I wa refilling my tennis bag.

I do find it hard to believe TW is selling a substandard frame, tho I have not hit one of the current batch. I may pick one up to see if what you say is true.

I thought the MG Radical Mp I hit previously was excellent... and I am super fussy.

loubapache
09-06-2013, 05:47 AM
I have a few MG Radical MP. Is there a way to tell which batch they are?

One I just got has a full bed of gut and I think the previous owner got it very recently from TW so it should be the latest batch. I have to say this: it plays beautifully (with some weights added).

DavaiMarat
09-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Well like the reasons stated before the main reason you want to get this frame is customization. The hair pin is lighter however you'll have to read up on how to customize this frame the way you want it.

Other then that they are just made in different factories. One in Kennelbach Aus, the other in some place in China. You can say quality control is better in one place or the other but it's like saying a Toyota built in Japan is better then one built in America...even though they are all build by the same robots!

Feel is different yes. The Prostocks definitely feel more solid. HOWEVER, that has more to do with the lead in the hoop and the silicon in the butt and not with the materials the rackets are made from. I have two TGK237.1 and two TGK237.2s they feel way different then the commercial.

Will the fix your game? No. Will they make you win more games? No. However, if you are looking for a specific feel....yes they will give you that.

movdqa
09-06-2013, 06:44 AM
You can build a very light or heave frame with a pro stock and they can definitely feel a lot less solid than retail frames without any lead in the hoop. I have had a few that weighed less than retail and they felt harsh with a really small sweetspot. Adding lead fixed that. Of course you could do the same thing with a retail frame but the Pro Stock gives you more overall flexibility to do what you want to. There are configurations with Pro Stocks that aren't possible with Retail Frames.

The thing that I want most in frames is consistency. The ability to get a matched set. I can modify them to the specs that I like myself or pay someone to do it. The next thing that I'd like is XL, around 27.75 inches and that's hard to do with retail frames.

Is it worth the price? There's a different answer for every budget. If you have millions in the bank, $1,000 for a few frames isn't a big deal. If you have nothing in the bank, then even new retail frames could be a luxury. Are pro stocks necessary for the recreational player? NO. Are pro stocks helpful? To the extent that they detract from improving the more important things like technique and fitness, NO.

If cost isn't an issue and you just want to have some fun experimenting or seeing what pro frames play like, then sure, why not?

Rabbit
09-06-2013, 07:09 AM
I'll say this, when you remove the pallets of a retail frame and see the same corresponding engineering code that a Pro Stock has. Its not a coincidence. Also the reason its lighter because they are made without the commercial weights that are put in frames during the manufacturing process. Its the same reason why a IG Radical MP is lighter than a IG Prestige MP.

I can confirm this 100%. vsbabolat, as usual, is exactly right.

Power Player
09-06-2013, 07:27 AM
vsbabolat: And concerning the materials used in prostock and in retail versions ? - Are they the same ?

Why are you asking this when you have already posted the answer?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5232705&postcount=33

Power Player
09-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Agree on the Tfight but a much more expensive proposition to match up a pair of those. That is the route I would take tho if I wa refilling my tennis bag.

I do find it hard to believe TW is selling a substandard frame, tho I have not hit one of the current batch. I may pick one up to see if what you say is true.

I thought the MG Radical Mp I hit previously was excellent... and I am super fussy.

Do a search on the MG rad and you will see users post about it. I remember asking about this because I shared your opinion as well. It's still not a horrible option to buy an MG Rad by any means.

IMO, it's not too expensive to match up Tfights compared to TGKs. I actually think TGKs are a pain to match up because you may buy 1 from a guy who has 1 and then the next one you get has a different layup ..etc.

hrstrat57
09-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Do a search on the MG rad and you will see users post about it. I remember asking about this because I shared your opinion as well. It's still not a horrible option to buy an MG Rad by any means.

IMO, it's not too expensive to match up Tfights compared to TGKs. I actually think TGKs are a pain to match up because you may buy 1 from a guy who has 1 and then the next one you get has a different layup ..etc.

Agree huge, I would only buy Prostock as a hairpin and build up from there... Buying an individual Prostock frame already built up to somebody else's playing specs makes zero sense to me. I have one Prostock frame and it is truly amazing but unique and a particularly heavy beast indeed. Traded for it just for giggles. Did not spend $300 bucks.

I need at least 1 pair of matched frames in my bag. I believe most good players do.

hrstrat57
09-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Agree huge, I would only buy Prostock as a hairpin and build up from there... Buying an individual Prostock frame already built up to somebody else's playing specs makes zero sense to me. I have one Prostock frame and it is truly amazing but unique and a particularly heavy beast indeed. Traded for it just for giggles. Did not spend $300 bucks.

I need at least 1 pair of matched frames in my bag. I believe most good players do. Both the Tfight 315 and the mg radical mp approach make good sense to me.

Rfbeade
09-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi there, I have been using 5 TGK 238.4 grip 4 3/8 tk82s pallets , std length 321 grms and 32.1 balance, lead on the hoop and silicone in handle , strung at 52/54lbs whith 10% pre-stretch.
They are grate sticks and not similar to the retail Prestige Youtek MP.
Now I'm playing with 4 PT57A grip same layup and this is another history. PT57A are very very very soft. I have to put 54/56 15% of pre-stretch. I'm still getting used to them but they seem to be very buttery.
If you want I let you know later but so far ther very nice frames!

pictures at rfbeade@gmail.com

Arize
09-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi there, I have been using 5 TGK 238.4 grip 4 3/8 tk82s pallets , std length 321 grms and 32.1 balance, lead on the hoop and silicone in handle , strung at 52/54lbs whith 10% pre-stretch.
They are grate sticks and not similar to the retail Prestige Youtek MP.
Now I'm playing with 4 PT57A grip same layup and this is another history. PT57A are very very very soft. I have to put 54/56 15% of pre-stretch. I'm still getting used to them but they seem to be very buttery.
If you want I let you know later but so far ther very nice frames!

pictures at rfbeade@gmail.com

I am trying to decide which frames I want to use. I also have 4 PT57A and 3 TGK 238.4 and I like both rackets quite a bit :???:

ART ART
09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Why are you asking this when you have already posted the answer?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5232705&postcount=33

Like I said before: that info was from a Tecnifibre Rep. ! OK ?

vsbabolat could know more info about HEAD rackets, if they in HEAD use or not, the same materials.

Capitche?

heartattack
09-06-2013, 07:17 PM
what is pt57a? is it youtek prestige mp?

mcnota
09-07-2013, 05:51 AM
in my opinion the tgk238.4 youtek prestige mp was the worst pro stock racket, no feel, didn't have that solid feel, it was still better than retail matched with the same specs but not by much so i would not consider getting one of them if i was the op, i find that the thing with tgk's is they have to be leaded/siliconed with a nice sw of 340 or more to get the full benefit of the racket.

the best imo was the microgel series of tgk's , 238.1/2 very nice solid feel and a really nice sound when hitting, i have only played with tgk's so i cannot commment on the pt57's (which go for crazy $$ i'd never spend that much on one racket)

that said, i sold my 6 tgk's and bought 3 wilson blx 95's red/black while making a decent profit, added 8 grams of lead at 10 and 2 and i couldn't be happier.

I think the 6.1 95's have that same solid feel that tgk's also have, although the qc of wilson is a little off it's something i can deal with.

vsbabolat
09-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Like I said before: that info was from a Tecnifibre Rep. ! OK ?

vsbabolat could know more info about HEAD rackets, if they in HEAD use or not, the same materials.

Capitche?

Same materials. For example a retail TGK238.4 is the same as a "Pro Stock" TGK238.4, its just lighter to customize and match. Thats it, Nothing special.........

hrstrat57
09-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Hi VS

Do you agree that building up a couple of MG Rad mp's makes a good option as I described for about $225 total vs Prostock?

More importantly I guess is do you feel the current batch of $89 MG radical mp's are substandard? Have you had a hit with one of current batch?

movdqa
09-07-2013, 07:08 AM
> in my opinion the tgk238.4 youtek prestige mp
> was the worst pro stock racket, no feel, didn't
> have that solid feel

I think that it has a ton of feel - perhaps too much. If you have a light configuration, then the sweet spot on this frame is tiny and it's unstable.

> i find that the thing with tgk's is they have to be
> leaded/siliconed with a nice sw of 340 or more to
> get the full benefit of the racket.

Not a problem for pros. BTW, I had one tgk238.4 that came in under 12 ounces and I couldn't stand the thing as it was but I guess there was some pro out there that liked it that way.

> the best imo was the microgel series of tgk's ,
> 238.1/2 very nice solid feel and a really nice sound
> when hitting, i have only played with tgk's

I haven't tried the 238.1s though I would like to try some of the softer pro stocks someday. Those of us in the US are at somewhat of a disadvantage as it seems like more of these are sourced in Europe and I'm not crazy about shipping frames across the Atlantic. I would like to get a pair of PT57As or Microgel Prestige MPs to play around with but my tennis time has already been trimmed back due to work and running.

The tgk260.2 isn't a bad frame.

The IG Prestige MP is a big improvement over the 238.4 in stability - I'm not aware of the tgk238.4 being PJ'd to something else so I'm assuming that pros that were using the tgk238.4 are actually using the tgt293.2 now.

> Do you agree that building up a couple of MG Rad
> mp's makes a good option as I described for about
> $225 total vs Prostock?

You might look into buying a used set of matched racquets - pro stock or retail.

hrstrat57
09-07-2013, 07:21 AM
> in my opinion the tgk238.4 youtek prestige mp
> was the worst pro stock racket, no feel, didn't
> have that solid feel

I think that it has a ton of feel - perhaps too much. If you have a light configuration, then the sweet spot on this frame is tiny and it's unstable.

> i find that the thing with tgk's is they have to be
> leaded/siliconed with a nice sw of 340 or more to
> get the full benefit of the racket

The IG Prestige MP is a big improvement over the 238.4 in stability - I'm not aware of the tgk238.4 being PJ'd to something else so I'm assuming that pros that were using the tgk238.4 are actually using the tgt293.2 now.

> Do you agree that building up a couple of MG Rad
> mp's makes a good option as I described for about
> $225 total vs Prostock?

You might look into buying a used set of matched racquets - pro stock or retail.

Ha ha not for me - I am all set have 2 perfect match I Radical L 5 mp' , 2 matched L 4 Chinese I rad mp's , 2 matched by TW YT prestige mp's (238.4) and 3 I prestige mp's that are close.

Was commenting on a cost effective mode for a player to approximate the Prostock experience.

What you describe about 238.4 I agree with 100% if I am not playing every day the sweet spot is too hard to find vs my other frames. I can't go much over 12 oz to game a frame for over 2 hours. Expect the 238.4 would shine with more weight. For the amount I am playing at present my other 18x20 frames are a better choice.

movdqa
09-07-2013, 07:27 AM
My tgk238.4s (the ones that I use, I have several that I don't use) are 13 oz with about 372 SW. The setup is great for hitting fairly flat balls. They feel like feathers compared to my 293.2s.

I think that retail sticks are fine matched if you don't mind starting out with a higher weight.

hrstrat57
09-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Yep I bet they play great! I also at some point will try MSV focus hex 18 g at ult(40#) in my yt prestige this setup is amazing so far in one of my L 4 Rads.....

hrstrat57
09-07-2013, 07:35 AM
I think that retail sticks are fine matched if you don't mind starting out with a higher weight.

My very thought on why the retail radical mp is the perfect platform- super light in stock form/ plenty of room to bump up and still be playable for the average Joe!

movdqa
09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
The Microgel is really inexpensive too. Geoff should setup a service where he will build matched sets of racquets with pro specs.

ENJOY TENNIS
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Same materials. For example a retail TGK238.4 is the same as a "Pro Stock" TGK238.4, its just lighter to customize and match. Thats it, Nothing special.........

And the flex? The same?