PDA

View Full Version : Why was Djokovic having issues hitting 2 handers

Sid_Vicious
09-13-2012, 07:03 PM
or was he just slicing ball after ball because he could not keep with Murray's ground game and was resorting to defensive strategies?

paulorenzo
09-13-2012, 07:41 PM
this doesn't answer the question directly, but i've noticed djokovic doing really well in the early stages of tournaments but faltering to a degree in finals or in later stages. murray on the other hand seems to now play consistently throughout but peaks near the final. not sure what has affected either to play this way as of late.

Paullaconte1
09-13-2012, 07:42 PM
I think he was just tired, but that tactic didn't work as his slice backhand is not really effective as the other big 3

tusharlovesrafa
09-13-2012, 08:21 PM
That's what I was also wondering.Seeing djoko slices galore was a weird thing..They were just bumping the Mid-court balls back in play,which was annoying.

MichaelNadal
09-13-2012, 08:36 PM
It was reallllllly weird. I've never, ever seen him slice that much, and they were bad slices too.

above bored
09-13-2012, 09:08 PM
or was he just slicing ball after ball because he could not keep with Murray's ground game and was resorting to defensive strategies?
Was he having issues? Obviously conditions were tough. Most likely he was just trying to keep the ball in play given the unusually windy conditions. You're not going to play your normal game in such conditions.

Sid_Vicious
09-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Was he having issues? Obviously conditions were tough. Most likely he was just trying to keep the ball in play given the unusually windy conditions. You're not going to play your normal game in such conditions.

Yeah, but there is a limit. Murray was throwing in the slice as well, but he was also mixing it up and hitting backhands too. In some points, Djokovic his 4-5 slices in a row and as Michael said, they were not high quality either. They hardly had any bite on them, Djokovic looked awkward hitting them, and were landing short.

above bored
09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Yeah, but there is a limit. Murray was throwing in the slice as well, but he was also mixing it up and hitting backhands too. In some points, Djokovic his 4-5 slices in a row and as Michael said, they were not high quality either. They hardly had any bite on them, Djokovic looked awkward hitting them, and were landing short.
Who's to say if there is a limit. It's not like Djokovic was hitting mostly slice. Clearly he drove the ball more, but conditions were tough, plus he was down in the score, so why not mix it up a bit? Also, when an opponent slices a lot, you are more prone to slice back because it is the easiest way to deal with slice.

As for the quality of his slice, it's apparent Djokovic does not have a great slice backhand or great technique on that shot. It's merely adequate and good enough to keep him in the point, which is probably what he was looking for in those conditions.

Really, I don't think there was anything wrong with his 2 hander. Exceptional and difficult conditions simply called for atypical measures. Different players will balance those challenges differently, that's all.

ormynameisntbill
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Hmm...I noticed it too. I believe the conditions started to die down and he was back to hitting normal in the third and fourth sets. That fifth set was a real bummer though and I believe it was because of some kind of injury he had. I dont think he really ever sunk his teeth into the match, especially after losing that tight first set.

Sim
09-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Perhaps he was tired and so he resorted to a slice which takes less effort?

Bjorn99
09-14-2012, 06:30 AM
He has major injuries and primarily the sciatica in his right hip/groin/back. It gets everyone eventually, and its got a pretty good hold of him. If he doesn't take care of it, he could be finished as a player at any time.

It got Sampras, Agassi, Edberg, Connors and it has a pretty firm grip on Federer as well, but he knows how to deal with it for the most part.

Tennis destroys the right hip over time.