PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Books - Memoirs

Rye10
09-14-2012, 06:44 AM
I saw the book Rafa and Agassis the other day. What are some really good books by tennis players that really shed light on the behind the scenes and their lives as pros??

batz
09-14-2012, 06:58 AM
The Agassi book is one the best books I've ever read.

pc1
09-14-2012, 07:31 AM
I saw the book Rafa and Agassis the other day. What are some really good books by tennis players that really shed light on the behind the scenes and their lives as pros??

Arthur Ashe Protrait in Motion is a superb book for behind the scenes life of a pro.

heftylefty
09-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Arthur Ashe Protrait in Motion is a superb book for behind the scenes life of a pro.

Quote for Truth.
My favorite book, period. Very candid look at Ashe's life on the tour for the period of 73-74.

Russeljones
09-14-2012, 07:56 AM

I do worry about you sometimes ;)

RNEast
09-14-2012, 08:25 AM

That's exactly what I told a friend of mine. Almost impossible to put down.

batz
09-14-2012, 08:37 AM
I do worry about you sometimes ;)

:) Seriously mate - I've leant it to many non tennis fans and they've all loved it. It's an incredibly well written book (but then it is ghosted by a Pultizer winning journalist).

Russeljones
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
:) Seriously mate - I've leant it to many non tennis fans and they've all loved it. It's an incredibly well written book (but then it is ghosted by a Pultizer winning journalist).

I am sure that for a sports biography it ranks high but in terms of meaning and magnitude (both literary and in terms of intellectual contribution) it's nothing special. I recently purchased the e-book version of Herodotus's Histories because the Penguin paperback keeps falling apart. :)

batz
09-14-2012, 08:57 AM
I am sure that for a sports biography it ranks high but in terms of meaning and magnitude (both literary and in terms of intellectual contribution) it's nothing special. I recently purchased the e-book version of Herodotus's Histories because the Penguin paperback keeps falling apart. :)

Bloody hell mate - I said it was a good read; not that it was an intellectual Tour De Force:)

UltimateBombero
09-14-2012, 10:33 AM
The Agassi book is brilliant. I love how it's written in present tense.

Rhino
09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I have read a load of these books:

Andre Agassi: Open
Good book. Made me realise that Agassi could sometimes be a bit of a d**k, but a good read.

Rafa: This was OK. What you'd expect really, concentrated on all of his glorious moments, but pretty much passed over his bad losses or put any slumps down to things like parental issues etc. Goes on and on about Wimbledon final 2008.

The Roger Federer Story: Quest for Perfection: Written by a total fanboy (way worse than me). Worst book of all.

Vince Spadea, Break Point: The Secret Diary of a Tennis Pro: This was my favourite book of all. Vince is a nutter and this is a good read. Gives more of a perspective of the tour from a regular pros point of view.

Sampras: A Champion's Mind: Not as good as I was expecting, and nowhere near as good as Agassis book but definitely worth a read for fans.

Boris Becker - The Player: I loved this book! Maybe my 2nd fave of them all, Becker is really interesting.

Tim Henman: England's Finest: I enjoyed this, but then I was living in London at the time and Timmy was the focus during all those Wimbledons.

James Blake, Breaking Back: Very short and easy to read, took about one day from cover to cover. Inspirational because he had all those ups and downs. Very American, overcoming-the-odds book.

jaggy
09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Pam Shrivers was a good read

TopFH
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Rod Laver's one is awesome, as is Open.

TheNatural
09-14-2012, 07:33 PM

I recommend the Pat Cash autobiography.

OKUSA
09-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Anyone know about a Marat Safin book?

Paul Murphy
09-15-2012, 01:12 AM
The Roger Federer Story: Quest for Perfection.
Agreed. A dreadful book.
There's another one on Rafa written by a guy who clearly knows nothing about tennis.
His favourite line was that Rafa on court "was all action".
Rubbish, pure and simple.

Paul Murphy
09-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Actually, Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert isn't just an instructional tome.
He weaves into it reflections on the guys he played against.
Well worth a read.

The Agassi book is superbly written (no surprise considering the author's pedigree).
Johnny Mac's isn't too bad either.

Paul Murphy
09-15-2012, 01:17 AM

No, unfortunately. But that has the potential to be a helluva read. ;)

hityellowball
09-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Scott Draper's book is a great read

Migelowsky
09-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Mr. Nastase
Breaking Back : James Blake
Rafa
Open: Agassi
Getting a grip: On my Body, My Mind, My Self : Monica Seles
Coming of age : Andy Murray

I started reading Days of grace from Arthur Ashe, but
I wasn´t enjoying it , interesting but not entertaining ,
nothing wrong with that but I have to be in the mood.

DolgoSantoro
09-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I HATED Quest for Perfection, it read like a Wikipedia article. Rafa was ok if a bit bland and like everyone I loved Open

TennisLovaLova
09-17-2012, 12:19 AM
I have read a load of these books:

Andre Agassi: Open
Good book. Made me realise that Agassi could sometimes be a bit of a d**k, but a good read.

Rafa: This was OK. What you'd expect really, concentrated on all of his glorious moments, but pretty much passed over his bad losses or put any slumps down to things like parental issues etc. Goes on and on about Wimbledon final 2008.

The Roger Federer Story: Quest for Perfection: Written by a total fanboy (way worse than me). Worst book of all.

Vince Spadea, Break Point: The Secret Diary of a Tennis Pro: This was my favourite book of all. Vince is a nutter and this is a good read. Gives more of a perspective of the tour from a regular pros point of view.

Sampras: A Champion's Mind: Not as good as I was expecting, and nowhere near as good as Agassis book but definitely worth a read for fans.

Boris Becker - The Player: I loved this book! Maybe my 2nd fave of them all, Becker is really interesting.

Agassi's book is by far the best one.
Rafa's the worst: I expected more info from the man himself. Instead it's 300 pages of "He hit a bh slice, I hit a top spin fh down the line. Then he served 2 aces, blablablablabla", all that written by a 12 yo.
Very disappointing book and absolute waste of time.
I didnt read Sampras on Amazon people say this book is worse than Rafa's...

Becker I'm gonna read it.

Is it available in English?