PDA

View Full Version : Bhupathi-Bopanna banned for 2 years by AITA

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 12:38 AM
OUCH: it is Bhupathi-Bopanna (NOT PAES)

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/tennis/bhupathi-bopanna-banned-for-two-years-reports_748894.html

New Delhi: As Indian youngsters continued to make India proud at the Davis cup, the All India Tennnis Association (AITA) shocked the tennis fraternity by imposing a two-year ban on Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna on Saturday, as per reports.

Reports say that they will not be eligible for selection to represent the country in any capacity over the next two years.

Earlier in the day, AITA said it will stick to the young Indian side and will not include Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna in the Davis Cup squad until the country moves up from the Asia/Oceania Group.

The young guns have given India an unassailable 3-0 lead in the relegation play-off tie against New Zealand and the national federation wants them to carry forward the good work in the 2013 season when India will strive to re-enter World Group.

http://www.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bhupathi-Bopanna-pti.jpg

galain
09-16-2012, 12:41 AM
What exactly did they do? Wasn't mentioned in the article.

Paullaconte1
09-16-2012, 01:11 AM

The refused to play with Paes at the Olympics.
here something about their row
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/18/us-olympics-india-tennis-idUSBRE85H0PS20120618

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 01:22 AM

Acco to my telly channel, it was since they refused to pair with Paes in the OG.

Appa, Bhupathi has given a response that he will give a reply shortly. Also, something about "cranky old guard who have never played tennis in their lives" making these decisions.

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 04:36 AM
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/story.php?id=128187

Bhupathi has already come up with an angry reaction on the Twitter. 'The cranky old grand fathers on the executive committee, who have never played tennis waiting for a reaction? There is one coming.stay tuned!,' tweeted the veteran

http://in.news.yahoo.com/bhupathi-bristles-aita-acts-tough-205521849--spt.html

edit: https://twitter.com/Maheshbhupathi

boredone3456
09-16-2012, 06:00 AM
I don't know whats more disturbing, the fact that they were banned for refusing to partner Paes when they were an established team with a good relationship or the fact that the people commenting on the articles comment page all seem to fully support the decision.

Seriously players have the right to say they do not want to partner with someone, India could have said no to them going to the Olympics but they did not...they were fielded. This to me sounds like India punishing them for taking a stand for themselves then losing
I doubt if they had medaled at the Olympics that they would have been banned. Paes comes out of this looking like a tragic hero to.

sunny_cali
09-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't know whats more disturbing, the fact that they were banned for refusing to partner Paes when they were an established team with a good relationship or the fact that the people commenting on the articles comment page all seem to fully support the decision.

Seriously players have the right to say they do not want to partner with someone, India could have said no to them going to the Olympics but they did not...they were fielded. This to me sounds like India punishing them for taking a stand for themselves then losing
I doubt if they had medaled at the Olympics that they would have been banned. Paes comes out of this looking like a tragic hero to.

Couldn't agree more. Bhupathy is anyway old and can't possibly carry on till 2014. But it's illustrative of the shenanigans in Indian sport -- bunch of clueless politicians run the sport with the sole interest of mooching off govt. resources. Players get dinged.

Wrt the bolded -- this is inspite of having his way and getting to partner Sania and losing in the second round of the OG.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 07:54 AM
So they can play anything other than DC, right?

Ronaldo
09-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Saw Paes play mxd w/Venus yesterday in WTT. They will play today at 3:30 pm EDT in the Finals.

Sri
09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Good.

Now ban Paes too and disband the AITA.

Then hire some professionals to organize the sport properly in India.

India can be a huge market for the sport. ATP must take notice and apply pressure to resurrect the sport.

RF20Lennon
09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
This here is exactly why India has no upcoming talent! The AITA is headed by a bunch of people who have probably never held a racket in their lives!

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Good.

Now ban Paes too and disband the AITA.

Paes was also "censured" acco to my newspaper.

Interestingly, Bhupathi and Bopanna are no longer partnering.
Bhupathi is joining with Daniel Nestor.

Bopanna will be approaching Qureshi (his old partner) and Q will have a talk with Rojer (his current, to see if they wanna continue).

galain
09-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

tusharlovesrafa
09-16-2012, 12:28 PM
This sucks to be honest.I stay calm,but there's a fire raging inside me.Our ******** political set up has made another scape goat out of bhupati and boppana.I think AITA should be de-recognised with an immediate effect.Bunch of morons are running tennis here who knows nothing about tennis..
Sorry this is off topic..We should make a tougher law for corruption and any one found guily should be SHOT,they deserve no less than CAPITAL punishment.KILL THEM!!..

DRII
09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
^^
Hasn't there been enough senseless violence going on?

No need for you to make statements like that, you should know better...

rage is overrated!

Fee
09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Tennis India showed they have no interest in winning Olympic medals, now they have showed that they have no interest in winning a DC tie. They cut off their noses to spite their faces. They lost.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Time for Tushy to take over

kishnabe
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Paes was also "censured" acco to my newspaper.

Interestingly, Bhupathi and Bopanna are no longer partnering.
Bhupathi is joining with Daniel Nestor.

Bopanna will be approaching Qureshi (his old partner) and Q will have a talk with Rojer (his current, to see if they wanna continue).

WHAT....how could you Nestor!:mad: Now I have to cheer for Bhupathi. Nestor should have gone with Paes.....would be my fav combination.

Quershi to stay with Bopanna till the next Olympics.

kishnabe
09-16-2012, 06:43 PM
This sucks to be honest.I stay calm,but there's a fire raging inside me.Our ******** political set up has made another scape goat out of bhupati and boppana.I think AITA should be de-recognised with an immediate effect.Bunch of morons are running tennis here who knows nothing about tennis..
Sorry this is off topic..We should make a tougher law for corruption and any one found guily should be SHOT,they deserve no less than CAPITAL punishment.KILL THEM!!..

Politics in India is far more corrupt than America, Canada :lol:, any country not in war!

Possibly why my parents are more interested what going on there than Canadian politics.

You guys just need a sucessful tennis era.....like the Amritaj era. Maybe change will happen through more spotlight.

JW10S
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Tennis India showed they have no interest in winning Olympic medals, now they have showed that they have no interest in winning a DC tie. They cut off their noses to spite their faces. They lost.No, Tennis India showed that they are no longer going to play childish games. It all stems from Bhupathi's sophomoric jealousy of Paes, who's had the much better career. Both Bhupathi and Bopanna refused to play with Paes in the Olympics--a decision that left both the Indian doubles teams (their only shot at a medal) with early round losses and no medal. Tennis India put their foot down--I applaud Tennis India's stand on this. In the end it's Bhupathi just looks foolish...

vkartikv
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Bhupathi secretly approached bopanna in 2010 and ended the indopak pairing's great run of success. now bopanna is forced to go back and ask qureshi to take him back. i hope qureshi declines.

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Time for Tushy to take over
Spot on. +1
Bhupathi secretly approached bopanna in 2010 and ended the indopak pairing's great run of success. now bopanna is forced to go back and ask qureshi to take him back. i hope qureshi declines.

Acco to one article in the IE today, Qureshi is doing well with Rojer, and Bopanna will have to beg and grovel to get him back after ditching him.

No, Tennis India showed that they are no longer going to play childish games. It all stems from Bhupathi's sophomoric jealousy of Paes, who's had the much better career. Both Bhupathi and Bopanna refused to play with Paes in the Olympics--a decision that left both the Indian doubles teams (their only shot at a medal) with early round losses and no medal. Tennis India put their foot down--I applaud Tennis India's stand on this. In the end it's Bhupathi just looks foolish...

Bopanna seems to be the loser at present since Paes has Stepanek, and Bhupathi has Nestor.

WHAT....how could you Nestor! Now I have to cheer for Bhupathi. Nestor should have gone with Paes.....would be my fav combination.

Quershi to stay with Bopanna till the next Olympics.
I love the Paes-Radek combo. always liked Radek.

Where did you hear about Q and Bopanna ? Or are you just speculating ? I read they will meet in Japan and talk it over.

sunny_cali
09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
No, Tennis India showed that they are no longer going to play childish games. It all stems from Bhupathi's sophomoric jealousy of Paes, who's had the much better career. Both Bhupathi and Bopanna refused to play with Paes in the Olympics--a decision that left both the Indian doubles teams (their only shot at a medal) with early round losses and no medal. Tennis India put their foot down--I applaud Tennis India's stand on this. In the end it's Bhupathi just looks foolish...

Paes got what he wanted -- partnering with Sania. Did he win a medal ?

Paes and Bhupathi partnered thrice for the OG, when they were younger and fitter -- they ended up with diddly squat.

Fact is, mixed doubles was our only chance. With the men's doubles no matter what combo we didn't have a chance for a medal.

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 10:45 PM
^ Yeah, the youngsters are hardly any better -- it seems. Actually, not sure if they are young any longer other than Yuki.

Seems Yuki got gassed out after the first match (a five setter in which he lost the first 2, one a bagel). I read that the other chap was injured. He barely got through his second match.

Vishnu won his match too, another 5 setter, and again i heard the other chap was injured. Only one guy, Sanam Singh got through in straights. (Vishnu I think is also only 24 or so.)

sureshs
09-17-2012, 07:36 AM
I love the Paes-Radek combo. always liked Radek.

Even though his face is so beautiful, it is his tennis that stands out.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM

It's their wish whom they want to play with. AITA is filled with a bunch of nut jobs

sureshs
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM

I would agree with you if the AITA had an otherwise good record. But these are the people who have always played politics and treated Sania like bait in the recent episode. So it is difficult to have any respect for them. I think Bhupathi and Paes have achieved a lot on their own and at this time in their career they should be allowed to decide whom to play with.

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM
They are only banned from representing the country which means DC and maybe stuff like Asian Games etc. anyway, by 3 years they should be like 41 or 43 ??

sureshs
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
They are only banned from representing the country which means DC and maybe stuff like Asian Games etc. anyway, by 3 years they should be like 41 or 43 ??

It gives them more time to play WTT and make more money.

DolgoSantoro
09-17-2012, 08:16 AM
This seems pretty harsh

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
It gives them more time to play WTT and make more money.

Yeah, Paes actually declined DC to play WTT. Ack the ban may have come at the right time, Bhupathi can start off his acting career and then his political career sooner.

sureshs
09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah, Paes actually declined DC to play WTT. Ack the ban may have come at the right time, Bhupathi can start off his acting career and then his political career sooner.

Paes has already started his acting career I think.

BTW, I have also played WTT.

But at the local club.

ruerooo
09-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Wow.

:shock:

This is already ugly, and looks like it's going to get uglier.

sureshs
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/bhupathi-considering-legal-action-against-aita/39458/#.UFesro2PWrY

Mahesh Bhupathi said he is considering taking legal action against the All Indian Tennis Association (AITA), which has imposed a two-year ban from Davis Cup on himself and fellow countryman Rohan Bopanna for refusing to partner with Leander Paes at the Olympics.

"Rohan has played for India for 10 years and I have played now for about 18 years now. And to get slapped with something like this, I take this as rough," Bhupathi told reporters. “We are exploring it, we don't know yet but I don't think what they have done and the way they have done it is fully legal. So we are exploring if what they have done is right and obviously if not legal, we are gonna go after it."

Bhupathi added that he thought that AITA action was because of a personal vendetta.

"It's been going on with me and association and heads of the federation for years now. I am just upset and afraid that my friend and partner Rohan has got caught in the middle of this dirty game,” he said.

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Just got this in the newspaper.

All this stuff he speaks of (of the dirty games) is nothing new. I saw this decades back in another sport, it was carried to extremes in the 80's. I am therefore glad someone is speaking up.

Sentinel
09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Bhupathi to resign next year (2013).

The 38-year-old, the first Indian to win a Grand Slam title -- when he partnered Japan's [ Images ] Rika Hiraki to win the mixed doubles at the French Open [ Images ] in 1997 -- announced he will hang up his racket at the end of next year.

"Next year will definitely be my last year on court," admitted Bhupathi, in Mumbai [ Images ], on Tuesday.

"I am at the end of my career," he continued, adding, "I am not even sure if I will play the whole schedule."

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/davis-cup-bhupathi-bopanna-nestor-retirement/20120918.htm

Some more responses on the ban.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_i-did-more-for-indian-tennis-than-aita-mahesh-bhupathi_1742550

sureshs
09-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Court has overturned the ban for now. Looks like the AITA will eventually lose.

Sentinel
09-22-2012, 08:53 PM
All Indian Tennis Association (AITA) chief Anil Khanna on Saturday threatened to take appropriate action against Mahesh Bhupathi for making false allegations of wrongdoing and corruption against the country`s tennis body.

Reacting to the graft charges leveled against him by Bhupathi, Khanna said this had been done with an ulterior motive.

Bhupathi on Tuesday had slammed the AITA for hampering tennis` growth in the country. He had also said Khanna was enjoying the public rift between him and Leander Paes.

"Leander and Mahesh are not children. They knew what was happening in the run-up to the (July-August) London Olympics. Mahesh needs to look through his heart. The allegations are totally false and motivated and are made with an ulterior motive. I will take appropriate action against Mahesh," Khanna was quoted as saying in an interview to a news channel.

Khanna`s comments came on a day when the Karnataka High Court stayed the AITA`s two-year ban on Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna for refusing to partner Paes at the Olympics.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/tennis/now-aita-chief-threatens-action-against-mahesh-bhupathi_749225.html

The Karnataka High Court on Saturday stayed the decision of the All India Tennis Association (AITA) not to consider tennis players Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna to represent India till the end of June 2014.

Justice Mohan Shantanagoudar passed the interim order during the hearing on the petitions filed by Mr. Bhupathi and Mr. Bopanna challenging the September 13 decision of the AITA’s Ethics Committee, which was approved by the Executive Committee on September 15.

The court has also ordered issue of notices to the AITA and the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.

“However, no action has been taken against Mr. Paes, who was the only one of the three players, including the petitioners, who threatened the AITA with withdrawal from the Olympics if his wish to be paired with either of the petitioners was not acceded to and made this decision known to the AITA in writing,” they have stated.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis/court-stays-aita-ban-on-bhupathi-bopanna/article3926330.ece

roysid
09-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Its all murky now. Bhupathi has approached karnataka high court(b'lore) where he has lots of influence.
and aita's khannas corruption came into public.

Sentinel
09-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Thankfully they are no longer making the sports page.

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 01:05 AM
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/story.php?id=128187

Bhupathi has already come up with an angry reaction on the Twitter. 'The cranky old grand fathers on the executive committee, who have never played tennis waiting for a reaction? There is one coming.stay tuned!,' tweeted the veteran

http://in.news.yahoo.com/bhupathi-bristles-aita-acts-tough-205521849--spt.html

edit: https://twitter.com/Maheshbhupathi
Perhaps their anger should be directed at themselves, instead.

Sentinel
10-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Qureshi snub leaves Bopanna low on options.

Q to continue with Roger. Bhupathi with Nestor.

Rohan Bopanna's plans to partner Pakistan's Aisam ul-Haq Qureshi for the 2013 season have come to nought with the latter turning down his offer to pair up. Qureshi, who is playing the Japan Open this week, confirmed to The Indian Express that he will continue to play next year with his Dutch partner Jean-Julien Roger.

Mahesh Bhupathi, whom Bopanna partnered this season in order to prepare for the Olympics, would play with Canadian Daniel Nestor for the upcoming season after which he had announced he would retire. Bopanna had his worst year (win-loss of 20-24) in three seasons in 2012 with Bhupathi, and was looking for a more successful and long term partnership with former partner Aisam.

But despite having had his best career result — reaching the final of the 2010 US Open — with the Indian, Qureshi, who is higher ranked at 12, did not want to go down that road again. Bopanna had won his first Masters title had also made the World Tour final with Aisam but had called off the partnership abruptly last year to prepare for the London Games.

The decision to split for the entire year and not just in the run-up to the Olympics had come as a shock to Qureshi. When Bopanna approached him this time around, Qureshi, who was then in Pakistan after playing the US Open, said he would consult his coach Robert Davis and partner Roger, before taking a call.

"If Roger feels we are going great, I wouldn't want to disturb the set-up. If he's happy with me and we have the same goals for next year and my coach feels we will suit each other better in the season to come, I will have little reason to switch.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/qureshi-snub-leaves-bopanna-low-on-options/1010174/