PDA

View Full Version : Thousands welcome Murray Dunblane homecoming

batz
09-16-2012, 09:21 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19610677

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A28KjktCAAAx6de.jpg

Sim
09-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Man, it must be great to be a national hero for playing tennis :)

Definitely well deserved though after all that work!

sureshs
09-16-2012, 09:27 AM
"After the day's events, Murray told BBC Scotland: "It was great, I've really, really enjoyed it. I had all my family here and a lot of friends from school and teachers who taught me maths - all sorts - my old tennis coaches. It was a great day, I'm really happy to have been part of it."

Note the colonial usage of maths and not math for mathematics.

batz
09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
"After the day's events, Murray told BBC Scotland: "It was great, I've really, really enjoyed it. I had all my family here and a lot of friends from school and teachers who taught me maths - all sorts - my old tennis coaches. It was a great day, I'm really happy to have been part of it."

WTF? it is maths. It's not our fault you buggers don't speak the Queen's English. ;)

The Bawss
09-16-2012, 09:34 AM
WTF? it is maths. It's not our fault you buggers don't speak the Queen's Enhglish. ;)

This. Anything else is gibberish.

TheFifthSet
09-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Good for Murray, he's earned his bones! Glad he's finally soaking it all in.

Ms Nadal
09-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Well done to Murray. He deserves all this celebration. His perserverance has paid off!

Fedex
09-16-2012, 11:14 AM

The correct term is Maths not Math.

And 9/11 is the 9th of November not the 11th of September.

Do the math.

stormholloway
09-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Do the math.

For the win.

oneness
09-16-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2204039/Andy-Murray-homecoming-Dunblane.html?openGraphAuthor=/home/search.html%3Fs%3D%26authornamef%3DSportsmail%2BRe porter

RF20Lennon
09-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Americans say math, god knows why? but they always want to be different.

Sid_Vicious
09-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Who the hell cares about lame and unimportant stuff like this? Not surprisingly, Sureshs was the one who introduced the discussion.

Fedex
09-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Who the hell cares about lame and unimportant stuff like this? Not surprisingly, Sureshs was the one who introduced the discussion.

It is interesting how much we can screw up the world through destandardisation.
Some people might say the world wouldn't be so interesting though.

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Great to hear this, batz.
Must be a great day for Andy. I thought this kinda thing happened only in India for cricket players ;)

Haha. I said Maths all my life, then got confused hearing the Americans. Thanks for clearing this up.

jaggy
09-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Out in the colonies they speak English a bit differently sometimes, what.

Crisstti
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
That is football-like (especially the bus part) :)

rovex
09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
He had signed almost every single autograph and i say good on him.

Sabratha
09-16-2012, 12:58 PM
It's good that he's taking the time to visit his home town. Not many players do that.

Shaolin
09-16-2012, 01:49 PM
I like how he let he kids put on the gold metals.

ark_28
09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Props to Muray he works so hard and deserves this moment!

smoledman
09-16-2012, 01:53 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/16/article-2204039-150BD778000005DC-563_634x456.jpg

swordtennis
09-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Pumped beyond belief now that Murray the Scott got that Major.
Aussie is going to be another slugfest with Djokovic,
So Happy that Lendl is back. The Terminator is awesome for tennis.
His sense of humour and presence is epic.

swordtennis
09-16-2012, 02:04 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/16/article-2204039-150BD778000005DC-563_634x456.jpg

Awesome Photo man very sweet....

Homeboy Hotel
09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Powerful photo. Glad for the boy! Signed every autograph, shook every hand, took photos with all the babies, let the kids play with his medal, hit a few balls with 50 or so kids. 5 hours of madness.
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391672_10151059138946966_1067219367_n.jpg

Danny_G13
09-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow, an actual feelgood thread on TW without any trolls! Hooray!

Yes, wonderful stuff to see Murray finally getting the recognition he's worked so hard for. In the past 2 or 3 months his popularity has gone up significantly, possibly in part due to the famous Wimbledon speech.

But that defeat was hugely important - winning a set in the final for the first time was the biggest step to achieving his dream. That he lost wasn't critical - he showed he could win a set on the biggest stage of all, and that was a massive breakthrough. That was the hoodoo.

And I guess the pain of losing that day has been truly smashed by what he's achieved.

He's the best tennis player Britain's ever produced. And deserves every ounce of credit he gets.

Mainad
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
It's good that he's taking the time to visit his home town. Not many players do that.

I recall Del Potro being given a similar hero's welcome in his home town of Tandil in Argentina after he won the 2009 USO.

It's a truly moving movement for both Murray and Dunblane. Hopefully it has helped to lift the shadow of the 1996 school massacre a little. Had Andy been a little less lucky on that terrible day, he wouldn't have been there to bask in the town's affections, 16 years later.

Heartwarming stuff! :)

pound cat
09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Next move for Murray is ot explain to the townsfolk in Dunblane why he has a home in England not in Scotland. I hope he donates a lot of money to the schools he attended in Dunblane or at least a prize to the student who wins the spelling contest.

CCNM
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Awesome!!!! Andy should be very proud of himself! :) Love that pic where he's getting kissed by a dog. Glad you mentioned the '96 school massacre, Mainad. When I found out he was at that school it made me respect him even more.

mistik
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I always think he is amazing.if the pressure that you put in yourself isnt enough,he was a bit fortunate to feel the pressure of the the whole country as well.He is the NEW STAR of tennis.I hope he and his team wont do same mistakes Nadal and his team does.Love this guy.

ninman
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM

If you're going to criticise him for using maths and not math., then it's important that you get your grammar correct.

When you contract a word, if the final letter in the contracted word is not the same as the final letter in the original word, then you must use a period. In this case the last letter of mathematics is "s", the last letter of math. is "h", therefore when you write math., it must be followed by a period.

ninman
09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19610677

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A28KjktCAAAx6de.jpg

All that money and he still dresses like a ned. You'd think he'd at least smarten himself up a little bit.

In case anyone's interested, probably about 90% of the people there don't actually live in Dunblane, they'll come from all the nearby towns, like Stirling, Bridge of Allan, Auchterarder and so on to see this. My mum teaches in Dunblane high school, but for some reason she didn't go to see that.

Fee
09-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Americans say math, not maths. Americans say sports, not sport. So what?

Wish I could have been in Dunblane today, love the photos I've seen so far. Looks like it was an awesome day for Andy and it was well deserved.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
WTF? it is maths. It's not our fault you buggers don't speak the Queen's English. ;)

I suppose you did a lot of "sums" too.

But maths and sums are nothing compared to "into."

In colonial usage, a into b is a multiplied by b.

In American usage, a into b is b divided by a.

ninman
09-16-2012, 06:07 PM

Yet you still can't get your grammar correct. Punctuation goes outside of quotation marks, not inside.

ninman
09-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Americans say math, not maths. Americans say sports, not sport. So what?

Wish I could have been in Dunblane today, love the photos I've seen so far. Looks like it was an awesome day for Andy and it was well deserved.

Yes, me too, if I'd been visiting my parents I probably would've gone. Btw, if you write math., it must be followed by a period.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Do you think Henman is secretely burning inside at Murray's success?

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Yet you still can't get your grammar correct. Punctuation goes outside of quotation marks, not inside.

NO just the opposite

ninman
09-16-2012, 06:10 PM
NO just the opposite

So why is it when you write math. you do not put a period after it? You DO realise that it's the same rule, whether you are in America or the UK?

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Here is an extract from Moby Dick, showing that you are completely wrong:

"My boy," said the landlord, "you'll have the nightmare to a dead sartainty."

"Landlord," I whispered, "that aint the harpooneer is it?"

"Oh, no," said he, looking a sort of diabolically funny, "the harpooneer is a dark complexioned chap. He never eats dumplings, he don'the eats nothing but steaks, and he likes 'em rare."

"The devil he does," says I. "Where is that harpooneer? Is he here?"

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Ignorance.

You lot have murdered our honourable English language. Switching up "s" with "z" @ the end of every word... "mom" instead of "mum" and "math" instead of "maths" .. our language, this is our its spoken in Britain. Understand and don't worry!

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:15 PM
So why is it when you write math. you do not put a period after it? You DO realise that it's the same rule, whether you are in America or the UK?

I don't do it because nobody else does it. As simple as that.

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
This, thread, was about Andy Murray being a national treasure and you've turned it into an American giving a British person lessons on spelling and grammar. Are you taking the absolute utter **** out of my life? An American of all people!

Fee
Yes, me too, if I'd been visiting my parents I probably would've gone. Btw, if you write math., it must be followed by a period.

Sorry, never seen that rule in my life. Not in AP English, 3 different college level English courses, journalism class, or anywhere else. And what is btw?

kaku
If the quotation marks are for a quote, punctuation goes inside

"I've won Wimbledon."

If it's for other effect than it goes on the outside

"Talent".

That pictures in batz's post is great. There's just something about it...

The-Champ
09-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm not a native English speaker, but I have been taught that punctuations should be placed outside quotation marks and parenthesis.

The English teacher punked me!

The-Champ
09-16-2012, 06:19 PM
anyway, Andy deserves all the accolades and praises!! Go Andy! this is just the beginning.

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2012, 06:20 PM
What a pedantic thing to debate over.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I just commented on the usage of maths and then people went nuts over it.

If I had more time (had to rush off for some great tennis), I would have added that I was impressed by his respect for school teachers.

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Do you think Henman is secretely burning inside at Murray's success?

Oh how out of touch you are with the British.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh how out of touch you are with the British.

I was referring to the relative qualities of their teeth, did you realize that?

Fee
09-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm not a native English speaker, but I have been taught that punctuations should be placed outside quotations marks and parenthesis.

The English teacher punked me!

It depends on usage and context, as demonstrated in a previous post. Grab the nearest printed word, or head to a decently written/proofread website and you'll see the difference. You can always look it up in a style guide. Style guides and dictionaries are wonderful things. :)

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Ignorance.

You lot have murdered our honourable English language. Switching up "s" with "z" @ the end of every word... "mom" instead of "mum" and "math" instead of "maths" .. our language, this is our its spoken in Britain. Understand and don't worry!

And you have nothing to say about the coordinate system of x,y, and Zee axes?

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
I was referring to the relative qualities of their teeth, did you realize that?

What's easier to hide do you think? Yellow teeth? Or morbid obesity? I don't know??? :confused:

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
And you have nothing to say about the coordinate system of x,y, and Zee axes?

*snores on keyboard* No, but I have something to ask.

ninman
09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Sorry, never seen that rule in my life. Not in AP English, 3 different college level English courses, journalism class, or anywhere else. And what is btw?

Then you had some pretty bad teachers. When you contract a word, if the last letter of the contracted word is the same as the last letter of the original then you don't put a period, if they are not the same you must put a period.

For example Dr Smith, Doc. Smith Dr and Doc. are both contractions of Doctor. Just as math. and maths are both contractions of mathematics.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Then Mrs and Ms would also not have a period, right? (no pun intended)

Antonio Puente
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Then you had some pretty bad teachers. When you contract a word, if the last letter of the contracted word is the same as the last letter of the original then you don't put a period, if they are not the same you must put a period.

You're confusing an abbreviation with a recognized short form word. You gave the rules for British abbreviation use. Never in my life have I seen a period following tax, short form of taxation. Tax is not an abbreviation, rather a recognized word.

ninman
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Lol, it's totally amazing how this thread got totally derailed just because Murray said "maths" instead of "math". What's weirder for me is looking at those pictures, because I've lived around that area most of my life, and my mother works in that town, so I'm very familiar with it. It's just so strange to see a little village that I grew up near, am totally familiar with, being splashed all over the international news.

The street you see him standing on in the picture is just outside the train station, where my brother used to catch his train to work every day. Just totally surreal.

smoledman
09-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Amazing that Murray can't even dress well with all that money.

Fee
09-16-2012, 09:38 PM

For example Dr Smith, Doc. Smith Dr and Doc. are both contractions of Doctor. Just as math. and maths are both contractions of mathematics.

Since when did we stop putting a period after Dr., Mr. or Mrs.? There's a difference between abbreviations and contractions and just shortened versions of words (like tax and taxation, or cannot and can't). Can you link me to an online style guide that supports any of what you said, or even a printed style guide/textbook and I'll find something similar. I've looked and I can find absolutely no guidance anywhere that the word math has to have a period after it in every usage. AP Styleguide, NYT Styleguide, anything at all. I'd appreciate it (and sorry, but I had some pretty good English teachers in my life, as well as a very strict English mother and Grandfather nagging me about language since my first word). No hurry, just whenever you get around to it. Cheers. :)

Nostradamus
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
It depends on usage and context, as demonstrated in a previous post. Grab the nearest printed word, or head to a decently written/proofread website and you'll see the difference. You can always look it up in a style guide. Style guides and dictionaries are wonderful things. :)

Nobody cares about correct english in talk forums. It only matters if you are writing a paper or novel that will be published in important journal or with publisher.

Nostradamus
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM

ninman, just so that you know. there is Period after Dr. like Dr. Smith.

Crisstti
09-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Great picture, the way the dog goes out of his way to lick his face, lol.

Sentinel
09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Lol, it's totally amazing how this thread got totally derailed just because Murray said "maths" instead of "math".

As that other thread title says "Murray's achievement is incalculable" ... maybe the Americans will learn correct English after all.

Great picture, the way the dog goes out of his way to lick his face, lol.
Murray is talking with the dog and has his hand on his neck. Thanks for pointing that out though. Utterly cute.

Antonio Puente
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Since when did we stop putting a period after Dr., Mr. or Mrs.?

British English has different punctuation rules. American English, however, is the international standard.

Metalica
09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
He should take some tips from Kim as to how to dress himself.

Russeljones
09-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Yep! Looks like he got an awesome reception too. Well deserved!

ninman
09-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Since when did we stop putting a period after Dr., Mr. or Mrs.? There's a difference between abbreviations and contractions and just shortened versions of words (like tax and taxation, or cannot and can't). Can you link me to an online style guide that supports any of what you said, or even a printed style guide/textbook and I'll find something similar. I've looked and I can find absolutely no guidance anywhere that the word math has to have a period after it in every usage. AP Styleguide, NYT Styleguide, anything at all. I'd appreciate it (and sorry, but I had some pretty good English teachers in my life, as well as a very strict English mother and Grandfather nagging me about language since my first word). No hurry, just whenever you get around to it. Cheers. :)

www.grammar-monster.com

I would also recommend purchasing a copy of "Grammar Rules" by Craig Shrives. I would also point out that most of the main grammar textbooks contradict themselves quite a lot, so that book is a pretty useful guide. It also discusses in detail the differences between British and American grammar.

Although frankly speaking those differences are pretty superficial, you'll find plenty of writers in both the US and the UK that use both styles. If you want a specific link explaining why you don't put a period after Dr then try this link.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/abbreviations_contractions_full_stops_periods.htm

Enjoy.

Also note one of his examples "para." as a contraction of paragraph, just as math. is a contraction of mathematics, as is maths. The difference, one needs a period, the other does not.

ninman
09-16-2012, 11:27 PM
British English has different punctuation rules. American English, however, is the international standard.

Actually you'll find plenty of writers in the US that use the "British" format for punctuation and grammar. Likewise you'll find plenty of British writers that use the "American" format for punctuation and grammar. What's more important is to be consistent, i.e. don't start using punctuation one way then change half way through.

Bobby Jr
09-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Good to see Murray dressed up for the occasion. :lol:

batz
09-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Logged on to see my Murray thread had gone to 4 pages. I think to myself 'aw, that's nice - the good ship TT is getting behind the boy'.

Turns out if was 3.5 pages of grammar wars :)

pound cat
09-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Everyone whould be able use correct grammer if the teaching of grammer was part of school curriculums again.

Danny_G13
09-17-2012, 05:10 AM
As that other thread title says "Murray's achievement is incalculable" ... maybe the Americans will learn correct English after all.

Is this a dig at me, the opposite, or have I missed something completely?

As for the thread, the minute I praised it for being free of trolling it fills up to the brim with it!

Danny_G13
09-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Everyone whould be able use correct grammer if the teaching of grammer was part of school curriculums again.

Is this meant to be ironic and self deprecating?

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Is this a dig at me, the opposite, or have I missed something completely?

As for the thread, the minute I praised it for being free of trolling it fills up to the brim with it!

Sorry I haven't noticed your post. Strong era here at TW: one thread on Murray has turned into a grammar discussion, and another one into a discussion on expensive Scotch and zesty martini.:)

hoodjem
09-17-2012, 06:12 AM

Note the colonial usage of maths and not math for mathematics.Murray is very smart.

He can do several maths (algebra, trigonometry, Euclidian geometry, Leibnizian calculus) at the same time.

It's a slow time of the tennis season, no upcoming important tournaments until the World Tour Finals. We need something mindless to bicker on about.

Gorecki
09-17-2012, 06:28 AM

Do the math.

http://www.geeknisses.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/oh_snap.gif

Crisstti
09-17-2012, 07:40 AM
He should take some tips from Kim as to how to dress himself.

Nah, he should just stay the way he is :)

Russeljones
09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Sorry I haven't noticed your post. Strong era here at TW: one thread on Murray has turned into a grammar discussion, and another one into a discussion on expensive Scotch and zesty martini.:)

Hahaha strong era indeed!

sureshs
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
He can do several maths (algebra, trigonometry, Euclidian geometry, Leibnizian calculus) at the same time.

LOL there are quite a few "sums" he can do on those topics. Though some of them might involve differences.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM

I know I live in America and it bothers me! Into is multiplied not divide :???:

Fee
09-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Nobody cares about correct english in talk forums. It only matters if you are writing a paper or novel that will be published in important journal or with publisher.

yes, Fedace, we know how you feel about proper grammar usage on this forum, we've seen your posts.

ninman, just so that you know. there is Period after Dr. like Dr. Smith.

You just contradicted yourself

www.grammar-monster.com (http://www.grammar-monster.com)

I would also recommend purchasing a copy of "Grammar Rules" by Craig Shrives. I would also point out that most of the main grammar textbooks contradict themselves quite a lot, so that book is a pretty useful guide. It also discusses in detail the differences between British and American grammar.

Thank for this info. Going to check them out and then get a great discussion going with some of my favorite Writers/Linguists/English majors. Could be fun. :)

Homeboy Hotel
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Amazing that Murray can't even dress well with all that money.

Today...
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Andy+Murray+Burberry+Prorsum+Show+LFW+X6RXr4HOKicl .jpg

Danny_G13
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM

I'm a bit lost. You commented about my use of the word 'incalculable'. I wasn't sure in what context?

smoledman
09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I thought it was cute when the doggie licked Murray's face.

sureshs
09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Today...
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Andy+Murray+Burberry+Prorsum+Show+LFW+X6RXr4HOKicl .jpg

Is that a tennis ball in his jeans? I hope there is nothing wrong with me for noticing this?

Nostradamus
09-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Today...

When are they getting married for pete's sake :)

single_handed_champion
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
I wonder if it is relevant that I did not see the word 'maths' mentioned anywhere in that article.

Nice to see Andy getting his due finally. Those kids totally stole the show.

Raging Buddha
09-17-2012, 11:27 PM
To settle the score:

Punctuation is placed outside the apostrophes when quoting something, but when directly stated by someone it is kept inside.

Eg. "Hello," said the boy. "Granny told me to "shut my darn trap".

I normally hear "into" in maths (never heard it as except online) referring to substitution, such as in simultaneous equations. For example, "Sub a=6 into a^2 + 5b-b^2=0". I do not believe I have heard it commonly in reference to multiplication or division, perhaps once or twice I have heard an expression like, "2 into 3" for multiplication, but I could be wrong.

I was taught that if the abbreviation ended in the same letter with which the original word ended with eg. Doctor and Dr, Road and Rd, Avenue and Ave, Street and St, there was no period, and if it didn't then it had one, such as pop. for population. It does not appear to be particularly widely followed, however.

Paul Murphy
09-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Good to see - for Murray and Dunblane.

sureshs
09-18-2012, 07:25 AM
I wonder if it is relevant that I did not see the word 'maths' mentioned anywhere in that article.

See post #3.

The link in OP now seems to point elsewhere. Pretty common.

Sentinel
09-18-2012, 07:35 AM
To settle the score:

Punctuation is placed outside the apostrophes when quoting something, but when directly stated by someone it is kept inside.

Eg. "Hello," said the boy. "Granny told me to "shut my darn trap".

Why is the comma inside the quotes? It has to do with the outer sentence. Or wait, are you saying the sentence is actually "Hello, Granny told me ...." which you've split, so you keep the comma ?

Also, you've not closed one set of quotes.

ruerooo
09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Today...

That is a great picture.

He looks good, IMO, when he has an actual haircut. (Wish he'd gotten one before the USO.)