PDA

View Full Version : Is Carlos Berlocq the most annoying grunter in tennis?

BreakPoint
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm watching this Davis Cup match between Berdych and Berlocq and this guy has to be the most annoyingly loud and obnoxious grunter in pro tennis. He's about as bad as Granollers, and yes, worse than even Nadal, Sharapova or even Azarenka. Meanwhile, not even a peep out of the mouth of Berdych when he crushes the ball. Proof that one doesn't need to grunt to hit the ball hard, as non-grunters like Berdych and Soderling hit harder than all the grunters out there.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
But you should overlook that because I have seen the guy hit the hardest 1 handed backhands I have ever seen (from 1 or 2 handers).

BreakPoint
09-16-2012, 05:58 PM
But you should overlook that because I have seen the guy hit the hardest 1 handed backhands I have ever seen (from 1 or 2 handers).
I'm sure he's physically able to hit his backhands just as hard without grunting. Haas, Gasquet, Wawrinka, etc. can all rip 1HBHs with their mouths shut.

sureshs
09-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm sure he's physically able to hit his backhands just as hard without grunting. Haas, Gasquet, Wawrinka, etc. can all rip 1HBHs with their mouths shut.

So you think Federer cannot rip his backhand?

フェデラー
09-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Granollers is the worst on the men's side for me. Sometimes when the matches go the distance, Djokovic can get really really bad and most of the grunts are entirely not needed.

BreakPoint
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Sure he can. That's why I wrote "etc." Federer is in that group. Anyone with a good 1HBH can rip it. The difference is if they do it without grunting.

kishnabe
09-16-2012, 06:24 PM

The racquet too small to rip on the backhand side :). Should switch to 100 Sg inch racquet.

Berclog is annoying but since he won nothing important. We don't care?

Nadal grunt oddly is not annoying since he harbors very annoyig traits. It sounds way more natural than any WTA or ATP player.

BreakPoint
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
The racquet too small to rip on the backhand side :). Should switch to 100 Sg inch racquet.

It's much easier to rip 1HBHs with a smaller racquet than with a larger racquet due to the greater freedom of movement. Try it sometime.

kishnabe
09-16-2012, 06:31 PM
It's much easier to rip 1HBHs with a smaller racquet than with a larger racquet due to the greater freedom of movement. Try it sometime.

I was hinting a joke with Sureshs Federer thread.

I use a Amercian K Factor tour 90....I love it more than those 100 sq no feel racquets.

The control is bliss....especially when you slice the ball.

dangalak
09-17-2012, 04:26 PM
This thread should shut up all WTA/Azarenka sycophants. :lol:

beast of mallorca
09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
This thread should shut up all WTA/Azarenka sycophants. :lol:

You have to shut up first before anything else. :twisted:

Zarfot Z
09-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Worse than Sharapova?

This I have to see.

Sabratha
09-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Worse than Sharapova?

This I have to see.
I agree with this fair man.

papertank
09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I think Azaranka and Sharapova are worse on the woman's side, and Granollers is worse for the men.

heftylefty
09-18-2012, 08:52 PM
What is so annoying about this dude's grunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-swUSnkXCE

WhiskeyEE
09-18-2012, 08:54 PM

pure drive or go home

norbac
09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Granollers is the worst. After Federer, of course.

BreakPoint
09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
What is so annoying about this dude's grunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-swUSnkXCE
Watch the Davis Cup match between Berlocq and Berdych from this past Sunday and you'll see what I mean. It's been replayed on Tennis Channel.

Here's the last couple of games of the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhwOTDvzA8

He was even worse earlier in the match. I think he lost his voice by the end of the match from all the loud yelling.

BreakPoint
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
pure drive or go home
You mean that racquet that Babolat designed for little old ladies to play doubles with because they're too weak to generate any of their own power? Which is a fact, BTW.

BreakPoint
09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Granollers is the worst. After Federer, of course.
Yes, Federer grunts so loud that it annoys people so no one ever shows up to watch any of Federer's matches. :???:

Sim
09-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Watch the Davis Cup match between Berlocq and Berdych from this past Sunday and you'll see what I mean. It's been replayed on Tennis Channel.

Here's the last couple of games of the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhwOTDvzA8

He was even worse earlier in the match. I think he lost his voice by the end of the match from all the loud yelling.

Wow that IS bad. I couldn't stand watching that.

darkniz
09-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Granollers is the worst on the men's side for me. Sometimes when the matches go the distance, Djokovic can get really really bad and most of the grunts are entirely not needed.

Granollers is the worst.

Agreed! It is quite ridiculous how loud he grunts :-/

MAXXply
09-19-2012, 06:23 AM
I had never heard of Berlocq's grunting. I was puzzled, while watching the highlights on TV the other day, why the sound was muted/blanked out, without me touching the remote control. The sound would return again at the end of the point. Now this thread explains it! It seems the program editors were sick of Berlocq's grunting also.

jrs
09-19-2012, 07:08 AM
+1 - watched him practice didn't know who he was - none of the people watching him knew his name - but had some amazing shots in practice. He wasn't grunting that bad during practice.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-19-2012, 07:26 AM
I actually think Federer's grunts are quite annoying. (See Roland Garros 2011 final, and Roland Garros 2012 semi-final.)

sureshs
09-19-2012, 08:21 AM
+1 - watched him practice didn't know who he was - none of the people watching him knew his name - but had some amazing shots in practice. He wasn't grunting that bad during practice.

I saw him on TV in a South American tourney. He was hitting backhands so hard that the commentators were gasping.

jrs
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I saw him on TV in a South American tourney. He was hitting backhands so hard that the commentators were gasping.
Everyone watching him practice was saying the same thing ..."why isn't this guy top 10?"... But when they played a practice set we found out why - doesn't move that well and spectacular shots were hard to come by when it wasn't in his strike zone.

RF20Lennon
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I actually think Federer's grunts are quite annoying. (See Roland Garros 2011 final, and Roland Garros 2012 semi-final.)

Federer RARELY!! Grunts unlike nadal who grunts even while picking his butt xD

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Federer RARELY!! Grunts unlike nadal who grunts even while picking his butt xD

I never said anything about how often Federer grunts. I just said I didn't like his grunt. And I don't, I hate it. It's not a manly grunt. Not like Nadal's grunt. Nadal is the alpha-male of tennis. He made tennis a manly sport.

RF20Lennon
09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I never said anything about how often Federer grunts. I just said I didn't like his grunt. And I don't, I hate it. It's not a manly grunt. Not like Nadal's grunt. Nadal is the alpha-male of tennis. He made tennis a manly sport.

Tennis is supposed to be classy sport played by royalty and it's now carried over and become a clean artistic sport. it's people like nadal although he's a great player who have ruined it by grunting its not the way it was intended to be

Big_Dangerous
09-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Okay you are going on my ignore list.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Okay you are going on my ignore list.

You can ignore me, but you can't ignore Nadal. :D

RF20Lennon
09-19-2012, 08:58 AM
You can ignore me, but you can't ignore Nadal. :D

Mute button?? Lol I dunno

Shaolin
09-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I didn't realize Berlocq was so bad...he yells out like he's doing karate every shot. I still think Granollers is the worst though. His grunting/screaming ruins the match.

amx13
09-19-2012, 09:03 AM

wow, that was annoying. Ive seen Berlocq play a couple of times, and this is the first time Ive heard such loud yelling from him, maybe he was trying to get Berdych out of focus?

RF20Lennon
09-19-2012, 09:04 AM
wow, that was annoying. Ive seen Berlocq play a couple of times, and this is the first time Ive heard such loud yelling from him, maybe he was trying to get Berdych out of focus?

That's why most players grunt to get the other out of focus

Murrayalmagrofan
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Granollers is the worst on the men's side for me.
Agreed. I'll take Berlocq anyday over Granollers.
I didn't realize Berlocq was so bad...he yells out like he's doing karate every shot. I still think Granollers is the worst though. His grunting/screaming ruins the match.
Screaming is a very accurate description of what he does. ;)

norbac
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, Federer grunts so loud that it annoys people so no one ever shows up to watch any of Federer's matches. :???:

Exactly, it's detrimental and disrespectful to the game. Very arrogant, as well.

RF20Lennon
09-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Exactly, it's detrimental and disrespectful to the game. Very arrogant, as well.

He grunts in such a high pitch it is in audible to the human ear! GOAT at grunting!!

darkniz
09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
If we mix the letters of Granollers, we get Groanlllers? :p

Paullaconte1
09-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Cookoo Azarenka is unbeatable

hersito
09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
i was at the match and got the impression he was over grunting either to concentrate more or to get berdych out of concentration. He actually only grunted that bad during the first set and in the last games of the third.

Leelord337
09-19-2012, 09:32 PM
albert montanes is pretty bad too, but berlocq is Loud!, I think Guga had them all beat though

Shaolin
09-19-2012, 09:59 PM
If we mix the letters of Granollers, we get Groanlllers? :p

That's perfect. Henceforth he shall be known as Groanollers on TTW.

norbac
09-20-2012, 05:57 AM
He grunts in such a high pitch it is in audible to the human ear! GOAT at grunting!!

Frankly, it's getting out of control.

gramdacious
09-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Errani's is getting harder to listen to by the minute.

augustobt
09-20-2012, 09:06 AM
No one, I repeat, no one is more annoying than Marcel Gruntollers.

jokinla
09-20-2012, 07:38 PM

PED's have that effect.