PDA

View Full Version : Federer needs break from Tennis

Hawkeye7
09-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Federer, 31, had a fantastic return to form this season, winning the Wimbledon title for a seventh time to retake the world number one slot.
However, he has since suffered defeats in the Olympic final and the quarters at the US Open, and the Swiss master believes his body is paying the price for a run which has seen him play 69 matches so far in 2012.
"I need a holiday badly," Federer said after leading the Swiss to a Davis Cup play-off win over the Netherlands.
"I'm wounded, tired, and exhausted and need some time off right now and see where I go from here.
"Nothing has been decided for the rest of year, even though there is a plan in place, that plan might change. I need to go back to drawing board to see what's important."
Federer has had a remarkable season even by his standards, returning to the top of the pile after relinquishing the top spot two years ago in what seemed to be the start of a decline.
He has been helped by the physical struggles of Rafael Nadal and the inevitable calm after the storm of Novak Djokovic’s record-breaking 2011, but some of Federer's tennis has been magnificent, not least in his Wimbledon final win over Andy Murray.
However, Djokovic is back in form while Andy Murray – winner of the Olympics and US Open titles this summer – has emerged as a major contender after his well-documented struggles in the big finals.
With the added competition, not to mention the season-ending World Tour Finals in November, Federer admits he is not overly concerned by the Davis Cup.
"Not really a whole lot to be quite honest," Federer said when asked how much he valued the tournament.
"For me it’s more about taking part with my team-mates, I enjoy being with them, and that's about it really.
"I have a good time and my team-mates are all my best friends - I don't see them regular basis on tour and we have a great friendship and it’s always a lot of fun."

source (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wounded-federer-wants-break-tennis-091918062.html)

Thoughts?

Russeljones
09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Worst case scenario - his plan is winning the 2016 Olympics :(

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 07:52 AM
I mean obviously he's tired he's 31 so it's going to take longer to recover! He's got 3 weeks before shanghai hopefully that's enough!

monfed
09-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Yea and then he plays DC...

rdis10093
09-17-2012, 08:15 AM
he needs to be fresh for end of year final

sureshs
09-17-2012, 08:19 AM
So now he is "wounded?" What was the injury? Seems like an excuse for losing to Murray and Berdych.

zam88
09-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I agree, Federer grinded pretty hard to get that #1 weeks record.. at this point I think he should relinquish the race to #1 and stop making that a priority.

Step back, play the minimum amount of tournaments required and focus on picking up another major.

Really at this point is there really any other meaningful goal?

Goal for him should play just enough to get the proper reps to be fit to play, and have fun.

The second he isn't enjoying the competition anymore i'd step away.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 08:21 AM
So now he is "wounded?" What was the injury? Seems like an excuse for losing to Murray and Berdych.

No one knows but if he takes up golfing then we will know its an excuse for sure no? :twisted:

TennisLovaLova
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Only difference with Nadal is that Federer doesnt make it an international affair

sureshs
09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Only difference with Nadal is that Federer doesnt make it an international affair

Only difference is that Nadal's injuries are real.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM

Dude sureshs checks out nadals knees everyday he knows what's going on

kishnabe
09-17-2012, 08:29 AM
He should skip Shanghai like last year. Try his best to defend his points.

Clarky21
09-17-2012, 08:32 AM
He's "wounded"? Has he been battling in a war? Shot? Stabbed? Lol. Odd choice of words from him,but I hope he gets better soon so he can keep the number one ranking away from ****.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 08:36 AM
He's "wounded"? Has he been battling in a war? Shot? Stabbed? Lol. Odd choice of words from him,but I hope he gets better soon so he can keep the number one ranking away from ****.

The Swiss were at war with the Dutch this past weekend xD

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Worst case scenario - his plan is winning the 2016 Olympics :(

What a coincidence. 2016 Olympics is Nadal's only goal. THE FINAL SHOWDOWN.

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
I agree, Federer grinded pretty hard to get that #1 weeks record.. at this point I think he should relinquish the race to #1 and stop making that a priority.

Step back, play the minimum amount of tournaments required and focus on picking up another major.

Really at this point is there really any other meaningful goal?

Goal for him should play just enough to get the proper reps to be fit to play, and have fun.

The second he isn't enjoying the competition anymore i'd step away.

This might be Federer's last chance at catching Sampras record of year-ending number one.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
What a coincidence. 2016 Olympics is Nadal's only goal. THE FINAL SHOWDOWN.

But Feds trying to get the gold in tennis Rafa is in golf two different events

Alchemy-Z
09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
The Swiss were at war with the Dutch this past weekend xD

lol Swiss and War in the same sentence :)

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 08:53 AM
lol Swiss and War in the same sentence :)

LOLOL highly ironic ;)

Emet74
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM

On the audio you can hear he laughed a bit as he said that word.

I don't think he means much more than he did when he whined "everything hurts" after post-USO DC in 2009. By this time of year his body is beat up and he needs a break.

I suspect he's emotionally tired as well. Hopes he enjoys his time off w/ the family and comes back re-charged. :)

Doubt the YE#! will be a serious priority but we'll see I guess.

monfed
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
But Feds trying to get the gold in tennis Rafa is in golf two different events

LMAO Dullzilla pwned! :twisted:

Good stuff. :lol:

Sid_Vicious
09-17-2012, 09:11 AM

I don't think he means much more than he did when he whined "everything hurts" after post-USO DC in 2009. By this time of year his body is beat up and he needs a break.

I suspect he's emotionally tired as well. Hopes he enjoys his time off w/ the family and comes back re-charged. :)

In other words, he is about serve a silent ban.

Hood_Man
09-17-2012, 09:15 AM
In other words, he is about serve a silent ban.

You could be onto something.

smoledman
09-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Says someone who has no idea of what it takes to get to #1 in anything except trolling.

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 10:04 AM
He's serving a silent ban of one non-slam tournament. Most likely Shanghai. Or Bercy.

Let's forget the #1 now. Breaking 286 was the main thing.

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 10:11 AM

He cut himself using Mirka's hair curlers.

Now Fed really seriously needs a larger racket. That 1hbh will also have to go.

zam88
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
This might be Federer's last chance at catching Sampras record of year-ending number one.

well you found 1 record he might care about.

if he determines that to be a priority i suspect we'll see him go all out this fall.

I don't think he should care about that... i'd like to see him cut his schedule to about 15 tournaments a year..... 4 majors, 8 masters, AO and Wimby warmups, year end.. done.

JMR
09-17-2012, 10:38 AM

It would have been a high priority if Federer had equaled or surpassed Djokovic's USO performance. That would have left Fed in a strong position in the 2012 race. However, the Djoker won that contest by two rounds, giving himself a big lead in race points. Federer would have to play a very full fall schedule, and perform very well, in order to catch him, and even then nothing would be guaranteed. The quest may no longer be worth the required investment.

batz
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
He's not sounding to me like a man who's going to push the boat out to play Shanghai. It's likely that no Shanghai = no YE #1, but he knows that.

Towser83
09-17-2012, 10:50 AM

there is audio? I can't imagine him actually saying that. I think just his pride is wounded :lol:

Tony48
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Do what Nadal did: cite an injury and take an extended vacation :)

Agassifan
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Skip Shanghai, half *** at Basel, Try his best at WTF and don't pick up the racquet one week before the AO.

Agassifan
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I really think that the Delpo match killed him physically and mentally.

defrule
09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I think he needs a PS3.

Mainad
09-17-2012, 02:44 PM

He played well at Cincy. Got through to the final without dropping a set and bagelled Djokovic en route to taking the title!

smoledman
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
I think Fed is just mentally fatigued and needs a breakola with Mirky on the beach.

Homeboy Hotel
09-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Certain coffee store in Holland certainly thinks Fed should take a break...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A21J3RFCEAAgqwi.jpg

JoelDali
09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Will Priority 1 put lead under the bumper even while he's on holiday?

Emet74
09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
there is audio? I can't imagine him actually saying that. I think just his pride is wounded :lol:

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/audio/federer-my-teammates-are-all-my-best-friends.aspx

Roddick85
09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Obviously the season has been long for Roger, he played many matches this year since he went deep and won a lot of tournaments, but correct me if i'm wrong but this is the first time he says something like this publicly? I might be paranoid a bit, but I just hope this doesn't mean he will retire soon. Was thinking of attending Indian Wells 2013 to see my idol perform for maybe the last time.

Emet74
09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
It would have been a high priority if Federer had equaled or surpassed Djokovic's USO performance. That would have left Fed in a strong position in the 2012 race. However, the Djoker won that contest by two rounds, giving himself a big lead in race points. Federer would have to play a very full fall schedule, and perform very well, in order to catch him, and even then nothing would be guaranteed. The quest may no longer be worth the required investment.

Basically agree. But I think getting back the #1 to break the Sampras 286 record was always the big goal, and YE#1 more optional. Even before USO Fed made that point that had he not gotten the #1 at Wimby and still had a chance for it in the coming weeks he would definately have played Toronto. With the Sampy record secure he didn't bother w/ Toronto even though he knew that could make the #1 difficult to maintain as proved the case w/ the 1000 points Djoko scooped up there. Fed talked openly about all this before the early loss at USO, which only made the YE#1 even less attainable.

above bored
09-17-2012, 03:17 PM
source (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wounded-federer-wants-break-tennis-091918062.html)

Thoughts?
It's just the media making a story out of nothing as is the standard.

Federer always takes breaks when he is tired. He's one of the best when it comes to scheduling and trying not to over play.

Here's the audio. The comment about being wounded and exhausted was said with a chuckle. Nothing he has not said many times in the past.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/audio/federer-my-teammates-are-all-my-best-friends.aspx

90's Clay
09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
You're number 1 in the world Roger.. Suck it up.

Its not like he has dropped out of the top 10.. he's still the best in the world (by the standings anyways)

smoledman
09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I think Fed will decide that he will not pursue YE #1 because:

A. He's tired and doesn't want to risk injury

B. It's highly unlikely he can make up the 1000 point deficit in the race

C. He has a huge South American exo-circuit in December that he does not want to cancel.

I think after a few days of soul-searching with Mirky, he will come to this logical conclusion.

Sabratha
09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Federer has already had a "break" this year. Maybe his big win (Wimbledon) has tired him out?

smoledman
09-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Federer has already had a "break" this year. Maybe his big win (Wimbledon) has tired him out?

When was this "break"? He's played virtually non-stop the entire year.

Mainad
09-17-2012, 04:21 PM
When was this "break"? He's played virtually non-stop the entire year.

He took a short break after the Olympics. He skipped Toronto.

smoledman
09-17-2012, 04:24 PM

But he didn't get his usual 6-week break.

beast of mallorca
09-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Unfortunately for Nadal, Rafa is an international affair. Everything he does is an affair, esp to the *******s.

beast of mallorca
09-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Do what Nadal did: cite an injury and take an extended vacation :)

True or not, he did make the right decision. Swimming with family and leisurely playing golf, while stirring the *******s on the side, makes Rafa feeling good :twisted:

Sabratha
09-17-2012, 05:11 PM
He also had a month long break after he lost to Roddick this year.

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately for Nadal, Rafa is an international affair. Everything he does is an affair, esp to the *******s.

True that. Often it seems like federer's fan base cares more about Nadal than federer. Maybe because federer's slam success is based on Nadal's absence.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
True that. Often it seems like federer's fan base cares more about Nadal than federer. Maybe because federer's slam success is based on Nadal's absence.

wimby 2007, 2006

tennisbuck
09-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Federer should play Basil, and the year end championships, but skip Paris and Shanghai

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Federer should play Basil, and the year end championships, but skip Paris and Shanghai

hes gonna lose a 1000 points in paris! if that happens

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
wimby 2007, 2006

Nadal age 20, 21, on grass....

BreakPoint
09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
And you know this for sure because you're Nadal's personal physician?

BTW, isn't being "too tired" the same excuse Nadal uses EVERY YEAR why he always gets his butt spanked at the WTF? :oops:

pame
09-17-2012, 06:08 PM

The reality is when you have 17 GS, 6 WTF, 21 Masters and nearly 300 weeks at no. 1, you don't have to give a frupse whether anyone believes you shouldn't be taking a break or not

cc0509
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM

LOL, true. Federer does not set up 20 press conferences to inconsistenly announce every knee problem under the sun.

cc0509
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Right! :rolleyes:

cc0509
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Not to mention that horrendous USO loss to Berdych.

cc0509
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
The reality is when you have 17 GS, 6 WTF, 21 Masters and nearly 300 weeks at no. 1, you don't have to give a frupse whether anyone believes you shouldn't be taking a break or not

+1. Federer has earned his breaks.

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I think Fed is just mentally fatigued and needs a breakola with Mirky on the beach.

He'll be even more spent from that than anything he can do on court. :D :oops:

Hopefully, he'll be back roaring by WTF.

SwankPeRFection
09-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Fed was wearing an undershirt in an interview from Davis Cup. He wears those when he needs to be warmer for his back. Maybe it's that... or maybe he was just cold.

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
LOL, true. Federer does not set up 20 press conferences to inconsistenly announce every knee problem under the sun.

Can I have a link to the transcripts of the 20 press conferences regarding Nadal's post-Wimbledon knee problem?

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Maybe Federer should sign up with PokerStar ;)

Can I have a link to the transcripts of the 20 press conferences regarding Nadal's post-Wimbledon knee problem?

Can you guys stop turning this into a Nadal thread , lol ?

Torres
09-18-2012, 05:42 AM
All the extra concentration needed to swing that 90sq" has drained him more than the others. He needs to get a bigger bat.

Sentinel
09-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Ask ***, he'll have them framed on his mantlepiece along with everything else Nadal ever uttered. :)

RF20Lennon
09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
All the extra concentration needed to swing that 90sq" has drained him more than the others. He needs to get a bigger bat.

There's been a billion discussions over this! It doesn't matter if it's a90 or a 102 the racket speed fed has if he shanks a ball with his 90 it's gonna shank with a 102 btw this what Paul annacone and Jmac have both said

RF20Lennon
09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Ask ***, he'll have them framed on his mantlepiece along with everything else Nadal ever uttered. :)

Shouldn't Tennis MVP have it too since he's *** no? :twisted:

Torres
09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
There's been a billion discussions over this! It doesn't matter if it's a90 or a 102 the racket speed fed has if he shanks a ball with his 90 it's gonna shank with a 102 btw this what Paul annacone and Jmac have both said

No one shanks a ball with a 102, least of all, Federer.

RF20Lennon
09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
No one shanks a ball with a 102, least of all, Federer.

Ofcourse it's natural you would know better than McEnroe (7Gs) Annacone (coach of Sampras) and Federer(17GS) I'm sorry to have doubted your expertise

tacou
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
he should skip Shanghai, take 5+ weeks off, get a couple wins in Basel and be in prime position for WTF.

Obviously this means throwing in the towel on year end #1, but that is likely out of reach anyways.

RF20Lennon
09-18-2012, 08:16 AM
he should skip Shanghai, take 5+ weeks off, get a couple wins in Basel and be in prime position for WTF.

Obviously this means throwing in the towel on year end #1, but that is likely out of reach anyways.

Mmm not really djokovic except in 2008 has never really had a good indoor season

Torres
09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Ofcourse it's natural you would know better than McEnroe (7Gs) Annacone (coach of Sampras) and Federer(17GS) I'm sorry to have doubted your expertise

Annacone is never going to publicly say his client is using the wrong bat. Even if Fed switched to a squash racquet Annacone would just tactfully comment that Fed likes it because feels it gives him more control. He's never been one for controversy.

Mac's opinions flip flop with the seasons and what the prevailing public opinion is. When Nadal was winning everything he said he was the best volleyer on tour. Then he said the same thing about Fed.

Samp has always taken the view that Fed should move to a bigger bat.

Whether you agree with those views or not, its indisputable that tracking and targeting a ball requires more mental effort with a 90.

RF20Lennon
09-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Annacone is never going to publicly say his client is using the wrong bat. Even if Fed switched to a squash racquet Annacone would just tactfully comment that Fed likes it because feels it gives him more control. He's never been one for controversy.

Mac's opinions flip flop with the seasons and what the prevailing public opinion is. When Nadal was winning everything he said he was the best volleyer on tour. Then he said the same thing about Fed.

Samp has always taken the view that Fed should move to a bigger bat.

Whether you agree with those views or not, its indisputable that tracking and targeting a ball requires more mental effort with a 90.

Ok first off fed did try 95's and 102's during the off season he said there was really no difference and that he liked the feel better with the 90! He's a 17 time GS winner something tells me he would know which racket is better for him. I myself play with a 90 and I can honestly tell you unless you go up to 112 it really doesn't make that much of a difference unless you're a beginner or an intermediate where you shouldn't be using a 90 to begin with

Emet74
09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
He'll be even more spent from that than anything he can do on court. :D :oops:

Lol, there are rumors flying that Feds and the missus may have more on their agenda than just lying around on the beach . . . :)

JoelDali
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Annacoan would destroy Uncle Toni in 3 out of 5.

Sentinel
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Shouldn't Tennis MVP have it too since he's *** no? :twisted:

I was hoping that would go by unnoticed :D

Ms Nadal
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Federer should take an extended break and return in 2013. The end of the season is nothing special, no slams etc. So peRFect time for Fed to leave the tour and get himself in peak condition for the AO! To help him add to his slam tally. The Berdy loss has hit from the USO. That is understandable, it was a shock that defeat. But Roger can put such losses behind him. Go Roger take the break now and see you in 2013. Rest that weary body of yours! he deserves it!

cknobman
09-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Only difference is Federer can take defeat without blaming it on an "injury".

sureshs
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Only difference is Federer can take defeat without blaming it on an "injury".

He does it more cleverly - by mentioning the injury a certain time after the defeat when it looks like it is not an excuse, but the message has been conveyed to the Fedfarts.

Cup8489
09-18-2012, 03:11 PM
He does it more cleverly - by mentioning the injury a certain time after the defeat when it looks like it is not an excuse, but the message has been conveyed to the Fedfarts.

Nadal does it as well. He didnt mention tendonitis or anything until the week before the olympics, and when he withdrew from Wimbledon in 2009 he didn't mention the injury until just a few days before, then said it was affecting him during FO.

Both men do it.