PDA

View Full Version : How many more slams for Roger?

batz
09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I've been saying since AO10 that Roger had at least 1 and maybe 2 slams left in him. I still think he'll win at least 1 more - what say you?

monfed
09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Realistically one more, but hoping for 3 more. It'd only be fitting if the greatest player of all time breaks the 20 slam barrier. :)

kalyan4fedever
09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
He said his dream is reaching 20, guess i have seen him say it somewhere i dont remember.

90's Clay
09-17-2012, 09:42 AM
He will end up with 20 plus.. Nadal is the only guy who could ever consistently deny him slams.. Can't see anyone else doing so.. At least consistently. So unless Nadal comes back healthy, Roger will easily get over the 20 slam plateau

monfed
09-17-2012, 09:57 AM
He will end up with 20 plus.. Nadal is the only guy who could ever consistently deny him slams.. Can't see anyone else doing so.. At least consistently. So unless Nadal comes back healthy, Roger will easily get over the 20 slam plateau

Umm,let's see here 90's clud. He's been beaten twice by Djokovic at the AO and will most likely get beaten by him again,it's too slow.
Ralph is there at RG but if he's not there then there is always Djokovic(like 2012). Then comes Wimby where he'll be stopped by Murray or some big hitter. In USO, he wont even have the strength left to compete so he'll get beaten by a red hot player or just Djokovic.

So you might wanna review your assessment,90's clud.

roberttennis54
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the most likely answer is he wins no more, but the stars could align for him to have one last glorious exist. Federer is declining every year and next year will be even further down the hill. I hope he has a lucky draw and can win a slam. Would be great if he could finish with another Wimbledon.

Cup8489
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Heart says two more, head says maybe one.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
1 or 2 more!!

kishnabe
09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
3 more....but more unlikely with each slam passing by. This year US Open would have been key....but Berdych ruined it. Personally hoping 1 more AO(Djokovic in the final), FO(not beating Rafa) and US(beating Rafa)

Aussie....will be for the defensive guys like Rafa, Djokovic and Murray.

FO....if Nadal isn't healed by then or loses early due to loss of confidence/matchplay or plain upset. Then he has a chance since Djokovic Federer match at the French is a coin toss.

Wimbledon....Nadal upset first week, Djokovic the weakest of the top 4 on grass, and Murray playing set 3,4 of 2012 Wimbledn final.. I see Federer having his best chances here.

US Open...too many contendors outside the top4 as well.....Tsonga, Fish, Del Potro, and Ferrer. HC Goat Federer as great as he is....he is too old to compete with the better HC competition and younger guys. He can pull a great day and then have a terrible day. Just like the Berdych match.

Hood_Man
09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I think he's got two more in him, which would put him at 19, and I can't see him not aiming for #20 after that.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 10:38 AM
If he gets 20 somehow it'll be amazing!!!

-RF-
09-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Wimbledon 2014 belongs to him!

kaku
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM
1, maybe 2.

zam88
09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
I think just one.

I can't help but feel like '13 will be another slam-less year as he has attained total peace with his accomplishments.

Then maybe after getting owned he'll get pumped for '14 and get one.... I do hope he retires prior to getting pwned in 2nd or 3rd rounds... I don't really want to see him go through a Rosol moment.

nethawkwenatchee
09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't really want to see him go through a Rosol moment.

This is a great point. In hindsight we see that Nadal may have been better off to take time off prior to Wimbledon to rest, and may have prolonged his career. Hopefully he is able to get healthy and back to form again...

Prisoner of Birth
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Probably none. Maybe 1. Possibly 2. Hopefully 3.

TMF
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Whether if Nadal play, it's not a guarantee that he'll make a deep run to meet Federer. And even if he does make a deep run, he could run into Nole or Murray who could take him out. So Nadal is just another apponent in the draw.

cc0509
09-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Possibly one more.

cc0509
09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Whether if Nadal play, it's not a guarantee that he'll make a deep run to meet Federer. And even if he does make a deep run, he could run into Nole or Murray who could take him out. So Nadal is just another apponent in the draw.

Nope, at 31 Roger has less of a chance to go deep in any slam than Nadal does at age 26.

How many slam finals did Roger make in 2011 and 2012 so far, how many did Nadal make in that same period? If Nadal comes back and is healthy he will make more slam finals on all surfaces just as he did in 2011 and the first part of 2012. Let's pull this thread up in a few years and see if I am correct.

Sabratha
09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
One more, I say.

NadalDramaQueen
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
The odds for another Australian or French seem pretty low, but possible. The important thing for Fed is to make it to some finals. I believe that he has a great shot against anybody in a slam final, except Nadal.

kalyan4fedever
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
i want him to win 1 more french - against nadal , that will be a dream come true for him, its not like he has not a chance he was awfully close against nadal in 2011, could have been an easy 5 setter.:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
I think just one.

I can't help but feel like '13 will be another slam-less year as he has attained total peace with his accomplishments.

Not necessarily. Djokovic doesn't seem to be capable of getting back to 2011 form. I am not too sure about Murray. Nadal might take time to get back to winning form.

However, there are others capable to taking Roger out.

On the positive side, now Roger does not need to think about the #1 ranking. He's crossed Pete's record, he can focus just on winning slams (and keeping himself in the top 2 or 4 ?).

2013 is the year Roger can try to sneak in one last slam. I don't see much hope after that.

beast of mallorca
09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Don't limit the Old guy dude. I can still see him winning 2-4 Slams.
As long as he's playing, he's a great contender for the Slams.

Zarfot Z
09-17-2012, 11:26 PM
2-3 more.

People have always underestimated his ability to win slams.

Raging Buddha
09-17-2012, 11:36 PM
He said he believed he could reach 20, and I wouldn't bet against him doing so.

Russeljones
09-18-2012, 01:41 AM
I am apparently in the minority that think it extremely unlikely that he will win another slam.

Sabratha
09-18-2012, 02:09 AM
I am apparently in the minority that think it extremely unlikely that he will win another slam.
Who is going to stop him?

cc0509
09-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Who is going to stop him?

What do you mean who is going to stop him? How many slam finals has he made in the past two years? In order for him to win a slam, he actually has to make the final consistently. Who will stop him? How about Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, remember them? ;)

Russeljones
09-18-2012, 03:55 AM
What do you mean who is going to stop him? How many slam finals has he made in the past two years? In order for him to win a slam, he actually has to make the final consistently. Who will stop him? How about Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, remember them? ;)

Not only, Tsonga, Berdych and any number of players pose a serious threat to Federer nowadays.

cc0509
09-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Not only, Tsonga, Berdych and any number of players pose a serious threat to Federer nowadays.

Yes, sadly that is true. :(

People on here talk like Federer is winning slams at the same rate he did in his prime. Hello he has won one slam in two and a half years and he just got blitzed by Berdych of all people at the USO.

I would never count Federer out completely and he may win more slams but it is not going to be like taking candy from a baby that is for sure.

tennis_pro
09-18-2012, 04:48 AM
I'd say probably 1 more. 2 is already a stretch, 3 is a dream.

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
I believe next year will be his last year of winning slams. After that he will be in that period where a player starts losing in 4th rounds and picks one of two paths. Either retire or keep persevering in hopes of squeezing out another slam.

We'll see though, Fed never ceases to surprise me. 2 slams imo.

raphMODE
09-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Realistically, 1 slam (I'd bet for USO next year. FO is Nadal's not there)

But reaching 20 slams is one of the remaining Fed's goal.
He surprised everybody in 2012 by reaching the #1 spot again, and winning Wimby again... So I guess in 2013/2014 he could surprise again and reach 20...

Strobe Lights
09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
He has only won 1 (plus reached 1 other final) of the last 11 Majors, so based on that the idea of winning 3 more seems a stretch. But he is consistently reaching the QFs and SFs and is obviously always a threat.

No matter what, if he wins one more it will be big. If its Australia, Wimbledon or US, then he will take the stand-alone record for most Open era titles at that event. If its the French, then he will have at least two of each Major.

Big factors are how long he plays for and whether he will have a big decline (relatively for him - start losing early in Majors, ranking out of the top 5).

I'll be conservative and say 1 more to give him 18.

Vcore89
09-18-2012, 08:21 AM
If he stays till Rio 2016 (well, just after Rio to play the USO 2016), he'll have 16 chances! I say he converts 1/4 of them and ends a nice number 21!:)

Realistically, 1 at a time is the safest bet. Unless, he claims a calendar slam in 2013 then he'll surely retire!:) ...dream on!:)

heftylefty
09-18-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm a huge Fed Guy, but he only has one slam in him.

Hope he proves me wrong.

TMF
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Nope, at 31 Roger has less of a chance to go deep in any slam than Nadal does at age 26.

How many slam finals did Roger make in 2011 and 2012 so far, how many did Nadal make in that same period? If Nadal comes back and is healthy he will make more slam finals on all surfaces just as he did in 2011 and the first part of 2012. Let's pull this thread up in a few years and see if I am correct.

Nadal is not always there to eliminate Roger, that's the point. When one guy goes deep, usually the other one flamed out early. For Nadal or Fed to win the slam, it isn't about one of them that decides who's going to win, but more about the entire field that decides the outcome. Okay ?

cc0509
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Nadal is not always there to eliminate Roger, that's the point. When one guy goes deep, usually the other one flamed out early. For Nadal or Fed to win the slam, it isn't about one of them that decides who's going to win, but more about the entire field that decides the outcome. Okay ?

Look the reality is that in the past two years Nadal has made more slam finals than Federer has, have you been watching? Since 2010 Nadal has made 8 slam finals (3 FO's, 1 AO, 2 W's, and 2 USO's.) Compare that with Federer who has made 3 (1 AO, 1 FO and 1 W.) Now I am not sure which world you are living in but I choose to live in the world of reality. Okay? ;)

forzamilan90
09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
He's looming around 20, so that's my magic number that I'd love to see happen. It only gets tougher every year, but hey if anyone can do it it's him

cc0509
09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
He's looming around 20, so that's my magic number that I'd love to see happen. It only gets tougher every year, but hey if anyone can do it it's him

He won't win 20 and if he does he should be canonized because it will be very tough for him to reach slam finals against all of these much younger guys as he ages even more and they are right smack in the middle of their prime years.

forzamilan90
09-18-2012, 04:44 PM
He won't win 20 and if he does he should be canonized because it will be very tough for him to reach slam finals against all of these much younger guys as he ages even more and they are right smack in the middle of their prime years.

hence why the 20 number sounds so good. It'd be like a fairy tale type of career.

cc0509
09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
hence why the 20 number sounds so good. It'd be like a fairy tale type of career.

He already has a fairy tale like career but as I said if he can get to 20 slams beating all of these younger guys, he should be canonized. :)

NadalAgassi
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Wow you are sticking up for Nadal. That must be a first, LOL! I must admit I am on the fence to how Nadal will return at this point. It is 50/50 really to whether he returns like the Nadal of old who dominates the French and is a threat to win the other slams in the coming years, or a permanently weakened version. This is his longest layoff ever so far. He has always been injury prone and always played a very physical style which doesnt lend itself to super longevity (which he has already had compared to most despite this), and he may have hit the breaking point or it may be a false alarm. It is too soon to tell, especialy as only he and a few in his camp know how really injured he is and how exclusively his layoff is injury only related or not.

Federer doesnt have age on his side but we know his body wont ever suffer a major breakdown. It never has. Only the natural regressions of speed, reflexes, energy, concentration with age.

NadalAgassi
09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Onto the thread question I think the possible range is 0-2, but I think 1 or 2 is more likely than 0. Although that said I dont pick him to win a slam next year, and if he doesnt win one next year, winning one in the future isnt looking great so hard to say, it could still be 0 more as well. I am 1 more U.S Open as my first prediction, my backup prediction would be 1 Wimbledon instead, and my third most likely option would be winning both once more for two more slams.

above bored
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
He said his dream is reaching 20, guess i have seen him say it somewhere i dont remember.
He never said that. That was the press misquoting him to get their headline.

Polaris
09-18-2012, 11:04 PM
I've been saying since AO10 that Roger had at least 1 and maybe 2 slams left in him. I still think he'll win at least 1 more - what say you?

Don't much care how many. It has all been gravy since FO 2009. The longer he plays the happier I am to watch. Slams don't enter the picture.

Tony48
09-18-2012, 11:14 PM
After he hit 15, I said he would win 3 more.

So.....1 more?

Dark Magician
09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Hoping 2-3 but 1 seems likely. whether he wins 2-3 depends on how early he wins the next. if not next year then really difficult.

mental midget
09-19-2012, 03:06 AM
I think just one.

Then maybe after getting owned he'll get pumped for '14 and get one.... I do hope he retires prior to getting pwned in 2nd or 3rd rounds... I don't really want to see him go through a Rosol moment.

i think he's past the age where a 'rosol moment' would fully count as such. he's made the quarters or better in every major since time immemorial, and i think a 'shock loss' to a lower-ranked player at this point would be more of a confirmation of the inevitable, than a blindside hit to a player in his prime. would still be big news though, of course.

merwy
09-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Very hard to say and it depends so much on how much longer he keeps playing. Will it be until 32? 34? 37? And will he keep training and be motivated like he was this year or will it all simmer down and will he play his last years "just for fun"? I could see him do any of the poll options. But at the moment I don't feel too confident about him, since he just lost to Murray and Berdych in 5-set matches. So I'm being pessimistic and keeping my expectations low by saying he won't win any grand slams anymore.

Noltae
09-19-2012, 03:31 AM
I think RF will walk away happy with his 17 - to say I don't think he'll win another is hardly a slur - he will achieve plenty more in tennis - who knows one day he maybe a great coach for example - the man's tenacity is unparalleled but the sands of time wait for no man - not even Roger! I hope I'm wrong though..

Magnetite
09-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I voted one more. If he proves me wrong, I'd vote for one more again.

ramos77
09-19-2012, 05:14 AM
2013 wimbledon will be his last

Sentinel
09-19-2012, 05:51 AM
He has only won 1 (plus reached 1 other final) of the last 11 Majors, so based on that the idea of winning 3 more seems a stretch.

Everyone seems to be saying "roger won one slam in 2.5 years" but that period includes one year of unbeatable Joker which he could not replicate. Add to that Nadal's injury and possible decline -- we don't know how much time it will take Rafa to get back to top shape, if he can put in the training to get back.

Berdych/ Tsonga etc were always there to take him out if on fire, so that's not changed.

So although Roger is also weakening slowly, his main competition has also declined a bit.

I think he can sneak in one or two in 2013. And one in 2014.

Noltae
09-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Aussie Open is Novak's - Murray for Wimbledon - Rafa for FO and Djokovic again for U.S Open - Roger for WTF - just my little '13 predictions lol

rhubarb
09-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Will be pleasantly surprised if he wins any more slams, but not expecting him to. Think Wimbledon was his last one, and as fan I was very happy with that.

RF20Lennon
09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Even if he doesn't it started at wimby ended at wimby very fitting!! :)

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-19-2012, 07:21 AM
He won't win another slam. He's won one slam in his previous 11 attempts, and only made one other slam final (other than Wimbledon 2012). Whereas Nadal won 5 slams in those 10 attempts (not counting USO 2012 since he did not participate), and made 3 other slam finals. Djokovic in that period won 4 slams, and made 3 other slam finals. Murray in that period won 1 slam and made 2 other slam finals. So Federer is the weakest of the top 4, and Nadal is the strongest.

MTF07
09-21-2012, 06:25 PM
He won't win another slam. He's won one slam in his previous 11 attempts, and only made one other slam final (other than Wimbledon 2012). Whereas Nadal won 5 slams in those 10 attempts (not counting USO 2012 since he did not participate), and made 3 other slam finals. Djokovic in that period won 4 slams, and made 3 other slam finals. Murray in that period won 1 slam and made 2 other slam finals. So Federer is the weakest of the top 4, and Nadal is the strongest.

Federer has won 17 slams in 10 years.

Nadal has won 11 in 8 years.

90's Clay
09-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Well his injury isn't to the point where he needs surgery.. So he could be in much worse shape.. If anything the long layoff could actually help Nadal.

We will see

Raging Buddha
09-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Regarding whether or not Federer only has one/zero slams left in him:

Even though he had not won one for 2 and a half years before Wimbledon, he was consistently in the deeper portions of the slams and always was providing himself strong chances to win it. Eg. FO 2011 where he had a set point at 5-2, and had he won it he would have had a very strong chance of winning. USO 2011 was also a match where he came close to victory but just missed out on a few crucial moments, and had he won that match he would have faced Nadal on a relatively fast hardcourt, which I would say favours Federer. In 2010/11 though, he appeared to be losing based on his mentality rather than necessarily his level of play, and there were several matches highlighting this that I'm sure we can all remember around that period.

Since USO 2011 though and going into 2012, there seems to be quite a shift in how Federer has handled his matches. We see much fewer occasions where he has a letdown after getting into the lead or allows his opponent back into the match, and his level of play is much stronger consistently across matches as a whole. This seems to be assisting him in obtaining victories significantly, especially against his biggest rivals (Nadal in IW, Djoker/Murray in Wimbledon). As such, I feel as though that even as his body wears out, he will be able to maintain a relatively high level of play over the next few years and thereby give him opportunities to obtain 2-3 more slams (or even more, perhaps).

NadalAgassi
09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
It seems the general consensus is 1 more. For once Planet TW is probably on the mark on something.

Paul Murphy
09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
One. Two at the most.

Sabratha
09-22-2012, 01:38 AM
If Federer continues having his current level of play, one more might be all he can do.

tusharlovesrafa
09-22-2012, 02:23 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/qi329.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/qi329)
Well lets have a look at this:
1.Rational tennis fans who are not federer fans think he'll win 1 more slam.

2.Rational tennis fans who are federer fans think he'll 2 more slams.
3.*******s think he'll win 20 slams.
4.Delusional posters think he'll win 20+ slams.
5.Fed haters think he'll win no more slams.