PDA

View Full Version : Federer: "wounded, tired, and exhausted"

Homeboy Hotel
09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
"I need a holiday badly,I'm wounded, tired, and exhausted and need some time off right now and see where I go from here.

Nothing has been decided for the rest of year, even though there is a plan in place, that plan might change. I need to go back to drawing board to see what's important."

Source - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wounded-federer-wants-break-tennis-091918062.html

Is there much to speculate here? It is just that he's tired and needs to rest and recoup for the indoor season, like any player who plays extended amount of weeks tennis? Or is there something more significant to read inbetween the lines?

Although Fed's older, I'd say he'll be fine come a couple weeks of rest. Skip Asia and he will be back to winning for the rest of the year.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
There's already a thread on this

kiki
09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
C'mon Roger don' t give up yet.TMF and ABMK still have big hopes you will get the Grand Slam someday.Even if it is only one

escii_35
09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Mirka laid the smack down and said, "Hang out with the kids until Basel."

Play Basel, possibly Paris and be rested and primed for London.

monfed
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Looking at the schedule I think he should play Shanghai,Basel and the WTF. Cause I don't think he can do Basel-Bercy-WTF, 3 consecutive weeks might be too much at his age.

So yea,skip Bercy.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Looking at the schedule I think he should play Shanghai,Basel and the WTF. Cause I don't think he can do Basel-Bercy-WTF, 3 consecutive weeks might be too much at his age.

So yea,skip Bercy.

He's defending champ at bercy so unless he wins shanghai and defends Basel he shouldn't even dream of skipping Paris because he'll lose a 1000 points

Torres
09-17-2012, 11:54 AM
You can't really unwind the mileage on a car, and Fed unquestionably has got through a huge amount of tennis over the years.

With 17 slams, many other majors, mega money in the bank, a wife, and 2 little kids, and having toured the world countless times, are you really going to have same intensity, hunger, mental and physical prowess that you did when you were 25/26? I don't see what more there is for him to achieve other than maintaining the ego.

nethawkwenatchee
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Look for Andy Murray to sweep the Asian Indoors and World Tour Finals in London!

tlm
09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
You can't really unwind the mileage on a car, and Fed unquestionably has got through a huge amount of tennis over the years.

With 17 slams, many other majors, mega money in the bank, a wife, and 2 little kids, and having toured the world countless times, are you really going to have same intensity, hunger, mental and physical prowess that you did when you were 25/26? I don't see what more there is for him to achieve other than maintaining the ego.

Ya but maintaining the ego means a lot to him.

waarp
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I predict he will retire at the end of next year. Or should.

Bjorn99
09-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Guys like him should have special privileges so that the sport can continue to see him. If they don't bend and do something to accomadate amazing geniuses like this, tennis is going to lose these guys.

Serena and Venus have been doing it their way for years, but some special point system should be set up for players entering the year between 28 or 29 and up. They should get some kind of a bonus for excellence combined with age. **** we have neuro computers these days. Come up with something ATP that keeps this guy interested.

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Guys like him should have special privileges so that the sport can continue to see him. If they don't bend and do something to accomadate amazing geniuses like this, tennis is going to lose these guys.

Serena and Venus have been doing it their way for years, but some special point system should be set up for players entering the year between 28 or 29 and up. They should get some kind of a bonus for excellence combined with age. **** we have neuro computers these days. Come up with something ATP that keeps this guy interested.

Uh Fed's already been screwed over by the ATP with their clandestine decision to slow down the slams. Nah, the way I see it, they're tired of seeing him win everything.

MichaelNadal
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Uh Fed's already been screwed over by the ATP with their clandestine decision to slow down the slams. Nah, the way I see it, they're tired of seeing him win everything.

Oh please, he won on the same slow courts that are benefiting other players.

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Oh please, he won on the same slow courts that are benefiting other players.

We all know who benefits from the slow hardcourts,it's not Federer. Cmon MichaelRalph, get real. :lol:

DeShaun
09-17-2012, 07:38 PM
The pomp of the Olympics probably took a lot out of him. Other sports' superstar athletes in the village allegedly were worshiping the ground that he walked on. I imagine that to have been tiring on him. At that same time of year, normally, he is trying to gather a little steam for his push through North America; not this time though. I wonder if the irregularity of the Olympics, combined with the face that he seems to have become a living legend, caused the Olympics to be particularly demanding on him.

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:42 PM
The pomp of the Olympics probably took a lot out of him. Other sports' superstar athletes in the village allegedly were worshiping the ground that he walked on. I imagine that to have been tiring on him. At that same time of year, normally, he is trying to gather a little steam for his push through North America; not this time though. I wonder if the irregularity of the Olympics, combined with the face that he seems to have become a living legend, caused the Olympics to be particularly demanding on him.

Yea they should just take tennis out of the Olympics, its just not an olympic sport ,just like football. There's always DC if you're so passionate about playing for your country.

Mustard
09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
This is Federer's "I feel like I've been on the tour for 100 years" moment.

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
This is Federer's "I feel like I've been on the tour for 100 years" moment.

True. He's played two extra tournies which he wouldn't normally play namely Olympics and DC,that too in a packed year and him winning or making semis in almost every tourny. Yea he's signed out alright.

smoledman
09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Fed has mentally gone "bye bye" and we'll see him again in Basel.

Talker
09-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Fed should take a break, he's been busy for over a year.
He doesn't need to worry about #1 really, it's nice to have but not that important.

Sabratha
09-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Look for Andy Murray to sweep the Asian Indoors and World Tour Finals in London!
I expect this, too.

Federer20042006
09-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Could be related to Roddick retiring. All of a sudden, he thought, "what am I still doing out here?"

Zarfot Z
09-18-2012, 01:53 AM
True. He's played two extra tournies which he wouldn't normally play namely Olympics and DC,that too in a packed year and him winning or making semis in almost every tourny. Yea he's signed out alright.

Should have skipped DC IMO. You can't win it with 1 good player.

bullslayer
09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
you guys think he got caught doping and preparing a silent ban?

tennis_pro
09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Could be related to Roddick retiring. All of a sudden, he thought, "what am I still doing out here?"

With Ferrero coming up next. The only other GS champion born pre-1986 still active besides Federer is Hewitt. I hope he keeps on playing, that might "motivate" Fed a bit.

Mainad
09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
With Ferrero coming up next. The only other GS champion born pre-1986 still active besides Federer is Hewitt. I hope he keeps on playing, that might "motivate" Fed a bit.

But Hewitt, Ferrero and Roddick all won their last GS titles back in 2002 and 2003. Federer won his latest just 2 months ago! That's the difference. Alone among his contemporaries from that era, Federer is still a real and active contender for Slams and is still the world #1. This has been the case for a long time and the retirements of his contemporaries makes no difference to that state of affairs.

JoelDali
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Federer is a solid NTRP 7.0 player. Will not get bumped down this year.

smoledman
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Olderer needs to rest his old, creaky bones.

cknobman
09-18-2012, 02:51 PM

this thread is about Roger not Rafa :wink:

sureshs
09-18-2012, 03:14 PM

He sounds cranky too

Fearsome Forehand
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
He should take the rest of the year off. Maybe play in his home town (Basel) and the in all star thing. Rest up, come back strong in January.

31 is ancient for a singles player on the men's tour. There are so many good players, no easy matches even if you are seeded. Kids coming up every year that are going to be great, etc. It is amazing that he has been able to stay at the level he has for as long as he has.

He seems to still love being in the arena and he has been remarkable healthy throughout his career. But, he is at that age where he could easily say f it, I have had enough, I am retiring. Not like he needs the money and he already has a lot of records including the biggie. He has a wife and little girls. And his chances of winning more majors is considerably less than it was 5 years ago. He did win a major this year and he always contends. But, is merely contending enough for him? Does he really need to be on the tour any longer? Should he quit when he is on top ?

I think all the guys on the tour are cranky by year's end. The season is too long. If he takes a month or two off, he might get the fire in his belly again.

Enjoy watching him while you can because, like Roddick, he might decide to hang 'me up in the next year or two.

vernonbc
09-18-2012, 05:20 PM
He's tired but he's going to fly all the way to South America and play a week of exhibitions. Yeah, he really knows how to manage his schedule. :-|

kishnabe
09-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Ferrero is retiring this year in Valencia.

Hopefully Federer doesn't pull a fast one on us in Basel.

Tony48
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Yeah. If he isn't careful, he might only be runner-up at Wimbledon this time.

Sentinel
09-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Yeah, he's been told not to participate between events. One month between USO and Shanghai. Again, after WTF he can't participate till January except for exos.

zagor
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
But Hewitt, Ferrero and Roddick all won their last GS titles back in 2002 and 2003. Federer won his latest just 2 months ago! That's the difference. Alone among his contemporaries from that era, Federer is still a real and active contender for Slams and is still the world #1. This has been the case for a long time and the retirements of his contemporaries makes no difference to that state of affairs.

Yes, but in a way he has fallen from his best days almost as much as they did (well Roddick anyway), this is the guy that made 10 slam finals in a row at one point during his peak years, now he's reduced to making 2 slam finals in two years and while he used to eat big hitters for breakfast now he's more vulnerable to being overpowered by them than ever (which he compensates by being overly aggressive against them but still).

I doubt #1 ranking means all that much to Fed at this point, it's his slam performances that he values the most and you could see how disappointed he was in his loss to Berdych at USO. If Fed doesn't make a single slam final in 2013 (which is very possible) I think he'll call it quits in 2014.

zagor
09-18-2012, 10:12 PM

Indeed LOLville, indeed.

We'll see your attitude when GOAT Rafa turns 30, be careful, you just might get a taste of your own medicine.

The_Order
09-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Great excuse for your silent ban PEDerer

Dark Magician
09-19-2012, 03:29 AM
He's defending champ at bercy so unless he wins shanghai and defends Basel he shouldn't even dream of skipping Paris because he'll lose a 1000 points

Does defending champ earns any points in WTF?
If yes, then Fed can end No.1 if he wins shanghai and WTF and skips Basel (or loses in it) and skips Paris.

abcman
09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
So is it confirmed that Federer is not playing in Asia?

abcman
09-19-2012, 07:50 PM
But the website of Shanghai master says Federer is confirmed to play?
http://www.shanghairolexmasters.com/English/news/28/1299.html

Sentinel
09-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Does defending champ earns any points in WTF?
If yes, then Fed can end No.1 if he wins shanghai and WTF and skips Basel (or loses in it) and skips Paris.

Playing Shanghai doesn't prepare him for the WTF (its too far away). Basel and Paris are more like tuneups for WTF.

Tennis_Maestro
09-19-2012, 10:40 PM

lol you kids, what World do you live in. "Lleyton's not retiring, let me play another few years" You don't live in the real World, do you?

Rhino
09-21-2012, 02:53 AM
But the website of Shanghai master says Federer is confirmed to play?

Federer: "Nothing has been decided for the rest of year, even though there is a plan in place, that plan might change."

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Looks like Federer won't be defending his indoor points, then. Not surprising.

Hitman
09-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Federer is one of the best when it comes to understanding what his body can do, and when to pull back. For someone who has already played so much heading into 2012, the last few months have been very intense. A break is much needed, so he can make an assault on the big indoor season.

Cup8489
09-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Looks like Federer won't be defending his indoor points, then. Not surprising.

Way to make a monstrous assumption. Where did he say that?

Why didn't Nadal defend USO, Wimbledon, Cincy, Toronto points?

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 09:34 AM

LOL the guys whole life revolves around nadal so anything nadal does is fine! I sometimes genuinely worry for him (***/6-16-36-0)

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 09:40 AM

If Federer is truly wounded, he won't be able to defend all his points at Basel, Paris and the WTF. He'll at best win one of those tournaments.

Virginia
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
LOL the guys whole life revolves around nadal so anything nadal does is fine! I sometimes genuinely worry for him (***/6-16-36-0)
He is so besotted with Nadal that he's even posted about his serve in the Former Pro Player forum, thus polluting said forum.

He may be nearer the truth than he realises however!:evil:

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
He may be nearer the truth than he realises however!:evil:

Nope, Nadal has many years left in him to win 17+ slams. And I'll enjoy watching every second that passes while he does just that. He can start by snatching back the Masters Shields record from Federer in 2013.

smoledman
09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Nope, Nadal has many years left in him to win 17+ slams. And I'll enjoy watching every second that passes while he does just that. He can start by snatching back the Masters Shields record from Federer in 2013.

Keep dreaming.

jones101
09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Federer officialy confirmed for Shanghai, so lets calm down y'all.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 02:13 PM
At least the fans in Shanghai will get to see Federer this year! Which is good news for them.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 02:19 PM
The thing about Federer that gets me at times is the fact that he never backs up Rafa on things. Rafa has complained about the long schedule and that ity is tiring. But, Federer at such times always plays down the points that Rafa is making. Then a few months down the line he says the same thing that Rafa was complaining about. Federer is just better at playing the PR game I guess than Rafa is.

tennis_pro
09-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Federer officialy confirmed for Shanghai, so lets calm down y'all.

Come on, 5 weeks to recover, how many more would he need?

Also, if Federer is to have a shot at the year-end-no-1 he HAS to play and at least outperform Djokovic, winning the title or reaching the final (if Djokovic is not the winner) would be great.

The ATP could set Murray in Djokovic's half this time, that would make it up for the US Open:twisted:

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 02:58 PM
The thing about Federer that gets me at times is the fact that he never backs up Rafa on things. Rafa has complained about the long schedule and that ity is tiring. But, Federer at such times always plays down the points that Rafa is making. Then a few months down the line he says the same thing that Rafa was complaining about. Federer is just better at playing the PR game I guess than Rafa is.

I mean its really subjective!! See Fed just skips tournys if hes not ok Rafa continues to go and thats why his knees go bad and he has long breaks like this. Rafa honestly doesnt manage the schedule well. There are gazillion small tournys for lower ranked players to improve their ranking. Rafa doesnt have to go and play every event he doesnt manage his schedule properly not really federer's fault unless federer is making nadal schedule

tennis_pro
09-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Nobody forces Nadal to play. He's complaining because he wants to squeeze out as much as he can in January-July + the US Open, no wonder he's dead tired for the last couple of months, while Fed can literally skip Masters tournaments to recuperate.

Read carefully what Federer says. He says that he's tired without giving a specific reason (obviously he's 31 and needs more time to recover - that's the reason), Nadal whines that the season is too long.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah! Rafa doesn't manage his season well at all and Rafa doesn't listen to his body. He keeps pushing it until his body can take it no more. I wish Rafa would stop this habit of his. It is hurting him. Rafa should play just the slams and Masters 1000 and the minimum of the other events. These breaks of his are getting longer and longer as he is getting older too. Roger is the master scheduler and Roger plays in an effortless manner unlike Rafa who has to really grind out his matches.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I think that Rafa has to support all his family finanancially. They say that Uncle Toni doesn't get paid! Yeah right! His whole family use him as a money maker. As Rafa is so into family, he wouldn't dare say no to them. So he plays as many matches as he can.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Anyway! Let's get back to the original thread! :)

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I think that Rafa has to support all his family finanancially. They say that Uncle Toni doesn't get paid! Yeah right! His whole family use him as a money maker. As Rafa is so into family, he wouldn't dare say no to them. So he plays as many matches as he can.

his net worth is around 50 millon!! gimme a break!

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
his net worth is around 50 millon!! gimme a break!

I mean they live off him. His success is their success too. You hear of these things that people rob their offsprings of money. It's just a theory :). Am sure Rafa wouldn't say no to them if they wanted for a few million:). Rafa's family means everything to him. Rafa loves to push himself to the limit too much. I wish he would be more careful. This long lay off is getting to me! You Roger fans are lucky! Roger is always around for you to admire. He never puts his fans through these dramas. Rafa does it to his fans all the time. Gets too much sometimes.

gregor.b
09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah! Rafa doesn't manage his season well at all and Rafa doesn't listen to his body. He keeps pushing it until his body can take it no more. I wish Rafa would stop this habit of his. It is hurting him. Rafa should play just the slams and Masters 1000 and the minimum of the other events. These breaks of his are getting longer and longer as he is getting older too. Roger is the master scheduler and Roger plays in an effortless manner unlike Rafa who has to really grind out his matches.

When Rogi retires then Rafa should hire Rogi's whole fitness and management team. If he's not completely broken by then.

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I mean they live off him. His success is their success too. You hear of these things that people rob their offsprings of money. It's just a theory :). Am sure Rafa wouldn't say no to themif they wanted for a few million:). Rafa's family means everthing to him.

I mean Toni Nadal is his coach so obviously he gets payed. So do his parents but thats it even if he gave each of them 15 million he'd still have 10 million or so left! So he plays the schedule for the titles not for the money!

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I mean Toni Nadal is his coach so obviously he gets payed. So do his parents but thats it even if he gave each of them 15 million he'd still have 10 million or so left! So he plays the schedule for the titles not for the money!

Yeah of course. Rafa wants to outdo Roger! :). Rafa is very passionate for tennis and you can see how upset he gets when he loses. Am proud of Rafa, regardless. Rafa and Roger are tennis gods! :). I just prefer Rafa,

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah of course. Rafa wants to outdo Roger! :). Rafa is very passionate for tennis and you can see how upset he gets when he loses. Am proud of Rafa, regardless. Rafa and Roger are tennis gods! :). I just prefer Rafa,

definitely! thats what drives the sport being competitive

TennezSport
09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I mean they live off him.

Rafa comes from a very wealthy family of millionaires. His father and Tio Tony own hotels and resturants on Mallorca (a highly visited vacation area), and both of his uncles are futbol stars (one was the "Beast of Barcelona"). They have never needed any money from Rafa. They all live in a five story brownstone in the center of town, each with their own floor.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Rafa comes from a very wealthy family of millionaires. His father and Tio Tony own hotels and resturants on Mallorca (a highly visited vacation area), and both of his uncles are futbol stars (one was the "Beast of Barcelona"). They have never needed any money from Rafa. They all live in a five story brownstone in the center of town, each with their own floor.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Yeah, sure but Rafa makes them make even more money with his fame and connections :).

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Back to Federer thread everyone! :). At least Roger is confirmed for Shanghai, that's good. I hope Djokovic and Murray make it too with Tsonga. Then we should have a decent week! I think that Roger may skip Bercy due to Basel and WTFs.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Which event do people think Roger will skip?

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, sure but Rafa makes them make even more money with his fame and connections :).

Ok Rafa does not play tournaments and push his body so he can give his money to a bunch of millionaire family members. LOL please! he pushes himself because he thinks he can get the advantage by putting in more matches but it undoubtedly hurts him in the end

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Ok Rafa does not play tournaments and push his body so he can give his money to a bunch of millionaire family members. LOL please! he pushes himself because he thinks he can get the advantage by putting in more matches but it undoubtedly hurts him in the end

Yes, I agree don't worry :). As Rafa always says ''It's good to suffer''. He has such a mindset that he doesn't listen to his body. He just keeps pushing. i suppose that is why many including myself find him rather endearing. Rafa is a rather complicated character in my opinion.

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes, I agree don't worry :). As Rafa always says ''It's good to suffer''. He has such a mindset that he doesn't listen to his body. He just keeps pushing. i suppose that is why many including myself find him rather endearing. Rafa is a rather complicated character in my opinion.

yeap i concurr :) but he should take smart decisions though he's a good player but I think the 2009 wimby and this year's USO was a huge blow and the french in 2004 he probably wouldve had 8 RG's