PDA

View Full Version : The thing around Serena

dangalak
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
IMO Azarenka showed how vulnerable Serena really is. You may be thinking: "BUT SERENA WAS PLAYING POORLY". That's exactly my point: how can the greatest ever play poorly so regularly against weaponless players such as Azarenka and Radwanska in slam finals to even lose sets against them? Hell she even lost in straights against Stosur last year.

The reality is that Serena REGULARLY plays as poorly as she played in the USO final. She played poorly the whole match against Radwanska. She played poorly in the second set of the WIMB SF against Azarenka. She played poorly in the second set of the Madrid match against Sharapova. She played poorly in the second set against Azarenka in R3 of the USO last year.

Why didn't she lose those sets? Because unlike, say, Kvitova, she can play smart and consistent even when the timing isn't on. She will not beat herself. It takes some craftyness to expose her lack of rhythm. Radwanska showed it in the second set of ther final and Azarenka did it too.

So yes, even if most players can't handle her playing well, they can work her by being awkward (i.e. how Murray usually beats Federer) Her footwork is so dire, that courtcraft is a good way of making her spray errors. This is also why I scoff at the idea that somebody like Hingis was incapable of surviving against the likes of her. Serena circa 2002-3 might have consistently played devastating tennis, but unless she is having the rare match, wherein she plays great for 2 consecutive sets, she would've been there for the picking for players with more intellgence than Azarenka and Sharapova, who typically do nothing but give her pace and groove her shots. :lol:

Bjorn99
09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Azarenka hits the crap out of the ball, with enormous spin and velocity, and within a foot of the baseline consistently. No player in the world plays well against that. None that I have seen.

dangalak
09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Azarenka hits the crap out of the ball, with enormous spin and velocity, and within a foot of the baseline consistently. No player in the world plays well against that. None that I have seen.

:lol:

She routinely gets overpowered by Cibulkova.

monfed
09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Eh,Serena's not the greatest. She just wins because of brute force, nothing special about that.

dangalak
09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Eh,Serena's not the greatest. She just wins because of brute force, nothing special about that.

She isn't Venus. :)

MichaelNadal
09-17-2012, 07:16 PM

She isn't Venus. :)

Hey now, don't be hating on Ebony Starr lol.

dangalak
09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey now, don't be hating on Ebony Starr lol.

Alright, she moves lightyears better than little sister and she has a better transiotion game.

But she still isn't Hingis from the baseline.

ollinger
09-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Here in the NYC area people regularly complain about how poorly the first-place Yankees are doing; they were even doing it earlier in the year when the team had the best record in the major leagues. "They should be in first place by 10 games" people regularly exclaim. And so it is with Serena. She just keeps winning majors and the enlightened write about how "vulnerable" she is.

Down_the_line
09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
I suppose if this theory is true, it really says something about the competition in the women's field, that Serena can consistently play poorly and still come out with a Wimbledon title, Olympic Gold, and US Open title all in one summer.

For the record, I personally don't agree with your theory.

pmerk34
09-18-2012, 07:27 AM
IMO Azarenka showed how vulnerable Serena really is. You may be thinking: "BUT SERENA WAS PLAYING POORLY". That's exactly my point: how can the greatest ever play poorly so regularly against weaponless players such as Azarenka and Radwanska in slam finals to even lose sets against them? Hell she even lost in straights against Stosur last year.

The reality is that Serena REGULARLY plays as poorly as she played in the USO final. She played poorly the whole match against Radwanska. She played poorly in the second set of the WIMB SF against Azarenka. She played poorly in the second set of the Madrid match against Sharapova. She played poorly in the second set against Azarenka in R3 of the USO last year.

Why didn't she lose those sets? Because unlike, say, Kvitova, she can play smart and consistent even when the timing isn't on. She will not beat herself. It takes some craftyness to expose her lack of rhythm. Radwanska showed it in the second set of ther final and Azarenka did it too.

So yes, even if most players can't handle her playing well, they can work her by being awkward (i.e. how Murray usually beats Federer) Her footwork is so dire, that courtcraft is a good way of making her spray errors. This is also why I scoff at the idea that somebody like Hingis was incapable of surviving against the likes of her. Serena circa 2002-3 might have consistently played devastating tennis, but unless she is having the rare match, wherein she plays great for 2 consecutive sets, she would've been there for the picking for players with more intellgence than Azarenka and Sharapova, who typically do nothing but give her pace and groove her shots. :lol:

Nerves are now a factor with Serena. When she loses her nerve her feet do not move and she sprays shots all over the place.

jonnythan
09-18-2012, 07:29 AM
The funny thing is that our expectations for Serena are twice as high as for any other player on tour.

If Serena plays the game all of us expect her to play, she literally cannot lose. For Serena to lose, she has to play below our expectations.

Tammo
09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Oh, I thought this was about the spare tire...

LuckyR
09-19-2012, 02:39 PM

A couple of things:

What is your definition of "poorly"? Especially in the face of winning sets and matches?

Who is your idea of a player who plays "well"?

evanjj
09-19-2012, 04:07 PM
When Serena turns it on....all the other women look like powerless little girls going up against a Goliath. They can't compete. End of story....

90's Clay
09-19-2012, 04:39 PM
The thing around Serena? Its called lard