PDA

View Full Version : Smart Federer will skip the Asian Swing

Paullaconte1
09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
This is another smart move from Roger. With his recent interview he is preparing the organizers in Asia that he won't play.

http://newyork.tennistonic.com/view_tennisnews?nid=1262&/Wounded-Federer-to-take-a-break-from-tennis

5 tournaments in 6 weeks from US to Europe to Asia to Europe is too much. He knows he can't make it, he knows that Nole will struggle a lot also and especially if he has to play Murray that is in great form.

If Nole becomes superman once again to play and have very good results in all 5 tournaments he will definitely be the year end world no.1. If he doesn't or he breaks we will see it.

ruerooo
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm surprised few others have commented on this -- I guess it's a question of waiting for the Maestro's next announcement ...?

Paul Murphy
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Smart move, needs to pace himself.
Shame though, won't get to see him play.

sureshs
09-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Murray will be hugely popular is Asia, mark my words. Plenty of expats from UK hanging out there and influencing the locals.

RF20Lennon
09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
it hasnt been confirmed though has it?

bjsnider
09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm assuming he'll be back to play Basel, Paris, and the WTF. No big deal, same as last year.

フェデラー
09-17-2012, 06:53 PM
His schedule on his website still lists him as playing Shanghai, and is Nole really playing all 5 of the final events? I think that would burn him out coming into the WTF, might not make it past group stage again....

monfed
09-17-2012, 06:59 PM

No,it hasn't and it'll be a pretty dumb move if he skips Shanghai. I'd rather he skip Bercy and play Shanghai because-

1) Shanghai is a fast indoor HC and it'll suit his style so he has a great chance of winning it. Infact, I think Shanghai played faster than Bercy last year.

2) Doing Basel-Bercy-WTF which is 3 consecutive weeks of tennis might damage him physically.

He's the best to decide what's best for him ,ofcourse, but I think he should play Shanghai.

Bartelby
09-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Federer has the advantage of being allowed not to compete in 1000 events, whereas Djokovic does not.

Nostradamus
09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Smart move, needs to pace himself.
Shame though, won't get to see him play.

LOL, After Murray sweeps the Asian swing again, Roger will say " he did well but sure big guys weren't there. Like myself and Novak "

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Federer has the advantage of being allowed not to compete in 1000 events, whereas Djokovic does not.

So if Fed skips Bercy, does he still drop points?

Also, Djokovic did play MC so he could skip a 1000,isn't it?

Paullaconte1
09-17-2012, 07:08 PM

No, in fact Shanghai is still in his official schedule in his website.
http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/tennis/schedule.html

It is an assumption he won't play... but many think the same.

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but if Fed skips Shanghai and Djoker wins it,then Fed gets stopped at #299 weeks. How daft would that be? After doing ALL the hardwork falling 1 week short of 300 would be SO annoying,seriously.

Infact he should probably skip Basel,it's just a 500. I know its his home tourny but he really doesnt need it this year imo,shouldnt be a top priority.

Paullaconte1
09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but if Fed skips Shanghai and Djoker wins it,then Fed gets stopped at #299 weeks. How daft would that be? After doing ALL the hardwork falling 1 week short of 300 would be SO annoying,seriously.

Infact he should probably skip Basel,it's just a 500. I know its his home tourny but he really doesnt need it this year imo,shouldnt be a top priority.

Yes I think it's a hard choice, but he will never skip Basel as it is his home tournament, he owns the rights of it and it seems to be a very easy 500pts.

It's a tough call as stopping at 299# would not be nice. Maybe he will try to get to Shanghai and see if he is blessed by Murray being in the Djoker side of the draw and then see what's going on. Difficult. Isn't it?

monfed
09-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Yes I think it's a hard choice, but he will never skip Basel as it is his home tournament, he owns the rights of it and it seems to be a very easy 500pts.

It's a tough call as stopping at 299# would not be nice. Maybe he will try to get to Shanghai and see if he is blessed by Murray being in the Djoker side of the draw and then see what's going on. Difficult. Isn't it?

Why's it a hard choice? If he cares about his legacy(which I know he does) he simply has to play Shanghai to seal #300.

So what if he skips Basel,his beloved home tourny? He's doing it to enhance his legacy which I'm sure the swiss people would totally understand(the ones in the know anyway). I can't fathom why he would let up on this golden opportunity of clinching #300 weeks. If he does it would be the same stunt he pulled when he was #1 in 2010 and then lost to nobodies thereby relinquishing the opportunity of surpassing Sampras. Life's given him a second chance, take it with both hands!

If I was Federer I'd play Shanghai,Bercy and the WTF. Or just Shanghai and the WTF. That way,he would atleast clinch #300 if not end the year as #1.

Bartelby
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
I think Fed probably chooses events to peak for the final tournament of the year and allows rankings to fall where they will.

I think he'd need Bercy or even Basel to peak at the YEC, whereas Shanghai and WTF are too 'one off' in terms of scheduling.

Sabratha
09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
The bad thing is Federer probably won't end the year as #1, and I doubt he will get another chance to.

TMF
09-17-2012, 09:04 PM
If Roger play all 4 events to gain many weeks at #1 as possible, that's too much tennis which might cost him not winning the WTF. That would be a big blow too.

RF_fan
09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
No,it hasn't and it'll be a pretty dumb move if he skips Shanghai. I'd rather he skip Bercy and play Shanghai because-

1) Shanghai is a fast indoor HC and it'll suit his style so he has a great chance of winning it. Infact, I think Shanghai played faster than Bercy last year.

2) Doing Basel-Bercy-WTF which is 3 consecutive weeks of tennis might damage him physically.

He's the best to decide what's best for him ,ofcourse, but I think he should play Shanghai.
Shanghai is an outdoor hard court. Also Fed isn't defending points for Shanghai so he can't lose any.

Sentinel
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Ah, yet another thread about hte same comment by Fed.

Reaching 300 weeks is not so important, its just a number. Not much difference between 299 and 300 now that he has crossed 286.

Peaking for WTF and keeping fresh and healthy for AO are more important than weeks at #1 and ending the year as #1. In fact, IMO, he has enough WTF's, I don't really care how he performs there either.

kalyan4fedever
09-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Federer is a lock for shanghai, he may skip paris

Mike Y
09-17-2012, 10:36 PM
What would Dumb Federer do?

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 10:39 PM
If Nole becomes superman once again to play and have very good results in all 5 tournaments he will definitely be the year end world no.1. If he doesn't or he breaks we will see it.

If Djokovic becomes superman? Djokovic has been making semis and finals all year. He never stopped. And this isn't 2011. Djokovic doesn't have the mental fatigue this year. Bye bye any chance Federer ever had of equaling Sampras' year end number one record.

tennisMVP
09-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Federer and Djokovic are probably skipping the Australian Open with their little Player's Council boycott. Might as well go 100% for the rest of 2012.

-RF-
09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
He should play shanghai

Paullaconte1
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
What would Dumb Federer do?

I wish I were as dumb as Federer. I would be multimillionaire, with 17 grand slam titles... And a nice life.
Lol

RF20Lennon
09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
OH ok thanks to @monfed and @paulconte1 for clarifying!