PDA

View Full Version : Radical pro oval grip?

Omar4GO6
09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Okay, I just switched from a dunlop 2hundred tour to a radical IG pro. I absolutley love this racket... But the only problem is the grip; it's oval. Is their any way to modify this with out having to shell out too much cash?

Big John
09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Absolutely. Buy some TK82 pallets in your preferred size, remove the staples from the butt cap and take it off. Then use a wide chisel or knife to loosen the double side tape under the edges, the lever up the middle of the end of the pallets with a screwdriver, slide it underneath and lever both pallet sides off. Replace with your new TK82 pallets, cut them to length with a saw or hacksaw, either glue on the butt cap or preferably staple it with a staple gun and hey presto.. :)

Hankenstein
09-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Absolutely. Buy some TK82 pallets in your preferred size, remove the staples from the butt cap and take it off. Then use a wide chisel or knife to loosen the double side tape under the edges, the lever up the middle of the end of the pallets with a screwdriver, slide it underneath and lever both pallet sides off. Replace with your new TK82 pallets, cut them to length with a saw or hacksaw, either glue on the butt cap or preferably staple it with a staple gun and hey presto.. :)

TK82 S pallet, not the normal TK82

The normal TK82 is the oval pallet. TK82S is the pallet found on the Speed-series.

Another advice is to heat the pallet up with a hair dryer before trying to remove them. This will loosen up the tape and the pallets will come of more easy

ae695
09-18-2012, 06:55 AM
TK82 S pallet, not the normal TK82

The normal TK82 is the oval pallet. TK82S is the pallet found on the Speed-series.

Another advice is to heat the pallet up with a hair dryer before trying to remove them. This will loosen up the tape and the pallets will come of more easy

Another alternative is wrapping the handle in a plastic bag and submerging it in hot water for some time. Pallets come off easy as well

memcbob
09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I have used two vertical strips of tourna grip vertically on either side of grip. Both under grip on pallet or on grip with overgrip to cover. Either way has made our Prestige MP's (x3) and Prestige Pro grips feel like the Speed MP tk82S, which we prefer.

plus it is easy to undo...

Omar4GO6
09-18-2012, 09:21 AM
This sounds a bit confusing. Is their a detailed how-to? What I've gathered so far is that I must undo the grip on my racket, take the but cap off, and order tk82S pallet to replace whatever it is I'm taking off. Maybe it will make more sense after I undo the stock over grip?

Omar4GO6
09-18-2012, 10:02 AM
All right, I figured out how to do it, thanks. Now, the only problem is that the cheapest tk82s I could find is 50 bucks! Any suggestions on where to get them for cheaper?

PBODY99
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
All right, I figured out how to do it, thanks. Now, the only problem is that the cheapest tk82s I could find is 50 bucks! Any suggestions on where to get them for cheaper?

Try the tape on the pallet first. I use strips of Duct tape to alter handles.

Big John
09-18-2012, 05:46 PM
You're absolutely right, tk 82S. Good tips on the heating the tape, does it remain tacky after it cools so you can re-use it if you do that? I know that glue will re-stick for instance after you heat it, I think the heat breaks the glue into its component parts when its hot and then as it cools effectively becomes 'glue' again?

I've used elastoplast strapping tape to good effect in the past to build up grips that weren't pallets (ie - Wilson). It is bit thicker than duct tape?

Whilst we're on the subject, quite a few of my Heads have come with tk 57 I think it is pallets. Are these the same as the tk 82 (minus the S) in shape do you think?

Fuji
09-18-2012, 07:40 PM
You're absolutely right, tk 82S. Good tips on the heating the tape, does it remain tacky after it cools so you can re-use it if you do that? I know that glue will re-stick for instance after you heat it, I think the heat breaks the glue into its component parts when its hot and then as it cools effectively becomes 'glue' again?

I've used elastoplast strapping tape to good effect in the past to build up grips that weren't pallets (ie - Wilson). It is bit thicker than duct tape?

Whilst we're on the subject, quite a few of my Heads have come with tk 57 I think it is pallets. Are these the same as the tk 82 (minus the S) in shape do you think?

From what I've seen, yes. The TK57 feels the same as the TK82, at least to me! :)

-Fuji

dr325i
09-19-2012, 04:53 AM
For those suggesting to add the tape to the existing pallet, there are three reasons that it is not working well:
1) It adds weight -- not much, not a big deal, but it does
2) it can alter the bevels that may be annoying to some
3) most troubling part is that after while that tape may start moving due to gripping and forces. I had big issues with #3 after some time

Two best ways are:
1) Install TK82S pallets
2) elevate the pallets slightly by putting something on the hairpin, under the pallets -- again, less preferred option than #1.

Omar4GO6
09-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Could I possibly use the pallets from my old dunlops?

Omar4GO6
09-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I just added two strips of duct tape; two on the top and two on the bottom. It feels great! I haven't hit with it yet, but I look forward to trying it out tomorrow. I would love to change the pallet, but I can't justify spending $50 dollars for each racket.

morandi
10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
The wilson like pallets from RPNY for the Head are the best. Feel much better to me than the TK82.