PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand wildcards.

Leelord337
09-19-2012, 01:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_card_(sports)

Wiki states that wildcards in tennis are given to a player solely based on an inferior ranking in order to get into a tournament. But Nikolai Davydenko is ranked number 48 and received a wildcard into Metz which is a 250 lower ranked tourny. I just don't get it...

batz
09-19-2012, 01:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_card_(sports)

Wiki states that wildcards in tennis are given to a player solely based on an inferior ranking in order to get into a tournament. But Nikolai Davydenko is ranked number 48 and received a wildcard into Metz which is a 250 lower ranked tourny. I just don't get it...

Wiki is wrong. Wild cards are also given to players who were not entered before the tournament entry deadline (usually 6 weeks in advance) but who now want to play. Murray got a WC to Monte Carlo a couple of years ago after losing both his first matches in IW and Miami. He also got a WC for Basel last year then embarrassingly had to pull out with injury.

JayChu
09-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Wild cards are given at the discretion of the tournament director.

Cormorant
09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Ivanisevic was in the top 10 when he got a wildcard into Montreal '95, because he forgot to confirm his entry to the draw. Events have to do all they can to ensure the participation of the leading guys, even if it does lead to minor resentment such as that directed towards Murray by Federer at Basel 2011.

jrs
09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I believe each tournament gets a certain number of wild cards - that they can use how they see fit. Sometime, it goes to high ranked players who may not have entered. Other times it goes to local players - who would probably never get into the tournament through qualifying - but still high level player.

Mainad
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Wiki is wrong. Wild cards are also given to players who were not entered before the tournament entry deadline (usually 6 weeks in advance) but who now want to play. Murray got a WC to Monte Carlo a couple of years ago after losing both his first matches in IW and Miami. He also got a WC for Basel last year then embarrassingly had to pull out with injury.

That WAS embrrassing and, more to the point, so unnecessary. He had just come off a successful Asian swing, winning 3 tournaments in a row, and should have been conserving energy for Paris and the WTF. Instead he decided to take a wildcard for Basel at the last possible moment! I never understood why. And then to pull out again straightaway! A bit of a fiasco and not exactly Murray's finest hour IMO.

Fee
09-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Wild cards are given at the discretion of the tournament director.

This. The TD can use it on a lower ranked player, a "local" player, or a big name player who didn't enter before the deadline.

Good example of why all Wiki entries should be viewed with a cautious eye, especially their pro tennis stuff. The ATP rulebook is a far better source of info and its available on their website.

Vlad_C
09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Robby Ginepri seems to have a lifetime wild-card into the US Open, based on his one-time semifinal appearance there.